What's new

NEED COCO MASTER ADVICE PLEASE PH PROBLEM

That flora nova is thhiiinnkk stuff, I put it in a gallon jug with alittle water to lose up the stuff and shook the crap out it, sorry lame how think it is.. there Is like biigg salt crystals I thought they might have been balls or something in there to help mix, nope big salt rocks,

I don't believe they make a 0 waist RO system either,
I know they have low low waist set ups that recycle the waist water but I don't think it evveverr got down to 0

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I still add Cal mag to all waters. Not at full dose tho. I believe the FN is the problem. Coco specific is the key. This thread is going nowhere fast.

Dready_jake

They make 2 to 1 and 1 to 1 and 0 waist ro systems now. Don't worry too much about the rising ph, just change ur nutrient solution every few weeks to a month or so. Happens to me every time in recirculating coir. the more I chase it with ph down the more the plants lock out nutrients.

If u have to add cal or mg to a coir nutrient then the manufacturer didn't make a very good product did they. The whole reason to make a coir nutrient is to add slightly more ca and mg, and slightly less K. That makes up for the cec of coir. U don't need a coir nutrient, u can make ur own mix too, as long as the ratio of nutrients are correct. Most hydro nutrients work for coir that I have seen. I chose to use a nute tailored for coir so I know that my nutrient doesn't have to be worried about. I now can search for other reasons the def is taking place. This is what im trying to get across to people that are using a coir nute already. Quit putting a bandaid on the situation and learn whats causing the problem. One more time for ya, almost all def when using a coir nute come from environment, watering, bugs, or salt build up. Absorb it and study what causes the def besides a lack of it already in ur nutrient cause that is not the problem.

U can solve a lot of probs if u can diagnose the def and go look in the my name stitch thread and see what causes the def besides lack of it. For example mg, too wet or too cold on the root zone causes mg def. So does too much ca. So if ur ph is running low, more ca is available making less mg available. These are the general issues most coir users run into when using coir nutes, not a lack of the element in the nutrient.

This man is wise. ^^^^^^^

OK YA your nutes are old and bad it sounds like. Get some fresh coco stuff that isn't chunky

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
2 gallon smart pot with a 50/50 mix coir/coco chips. Flood and drain. FloraNova, Foralicious Plus, Calmag when needed(strain dependent)
PH-5.8
EC of 1.2 to 1.4
Easy and works every time

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Yeah but not a lot at all. Seems to happen when there's just a little left in the bottom of the jug. Never seemed to hurt anything tho.
Got to shake the ever loving shit out of it to mix it well when first using a full jug. I have a empty jug I pour half into. shake hell out of the remaining mix in the new jug to blend it really well then add back what I poured into the empty jug.

indalo

Hi. Just airing my two pennies worth . My tap ppm is approx. 700 ppm on a 0.5 scale . I know, absolute crazy , or should I say criminal lol. It 's got tons of cal. in it . In the past I used to add cal/mag , and I got lock outs . I am using Canna A+B . I realized that with a ppm like that , use of cal/mag is out of the question. After I stopped using it , mag.def. sat in. OK, Epsom salt came into my life , and it My conclusion is ,,, high ppm on tap , no cal mag . but be prepared to add a bit of Epsom for your mag. level. Works for me .

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Triple Diesel clone - - Coco grown with perlite / ProMix HP-CC Mix. H & G nutes, plus a few additives, in addition.

Flora Nova is the easiest of nutes - I will concede that. Mixing it effectively is almost impossible, however.
I would use it outdoors, in soil, if it was all I had, and I had tons of it, but not indoors.

However, Resinryder obviously has talent. His Mixing technique for FN is the only way to do it right.
Dude probably could grow well with old soapy water and nothing else.

Dready_jake

Hi. Just airing my two pennies worth . My tap ppm is approx. 700 ppm on a 0.5 scale . I know, absolute crazy , or should I say criminal lol. It 's got tons of cal. in it . In the past I used to add cal/mag , and I got lock outs . I am using Canna A+B . I realized that with a ppm like that , use of cal/mag is out of the question. After I stopped using it , mag.def. sat in. OK, Epsom salt came into my life , and it My conclusion is ,,, high ppm on tap , no cal mag . but be prepared to add a bit of Epsom for your mag. level. Works for me .

It would be more effective to cut with RO.

And also too much calcium locks out magnesium. Could be too much cal and plenty of mag

Dready_jake

Yeah but not a lot at all. Seems to happen when there's just a little left in the bottom of the jug. Never seemed to hurt anything tho.
Got to shake the ever loving shit out of it to mix it well when first using a full jug. I have a empty jug I pour half into. shake hell out of the remaining mix in the new jug to blend it really well then add back what I poured into the empty jug.

Well then obviously that's not it lol.

Ya I'm using kind and don't like it alot. The base is all nitrogen and calcium so I have to be real careful with the balance. Too much base and I lockout magnesium and nitrogen goes toxic. Such a fine line with these

Honestly listen to rezryder religiously and take everyone else with a grain of salt. that should get you where you need to be lol:biggrin:

Damm resinyder!!!

Where have u been this hole time, I think I'd like to do a high perlite to coco mix like that but with a drip auto feed setup,, ebb and flow seems cool but then why not just use hydroton? And feed more??

And does anything have anything to say about my nutrients? That I just mixed up? Is that a good start
with the only FLORA NOVA BLOOM ??

And resinryder?
Are u using juusstt flora nova BLOOM???

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
why does run off ph drop ?

is it due to over feeding ?

im trying to flush out my coco for the new ladies, EC going in is .8, ph is 5.8

EC of run off is 1.2 and ph is 5.2.

easy to get run off down but ph seems to want to stay low ?

If Ur ph is dropping then I'd say ur flushing out salts that are a higher concentration and lower ph,

Flush ur medium, or every watwring give them a good 20% run off or more, that should keep salt build up down

DONAJTHEIII

flush medium ???!!???

didnt i just go through this and comment a couple of pages ago guys ?

i have to go get lunch and get back into class in a little. ill comment on this and reply when lecture starts. its the nicest day of the yr where im at and im stuck in a class room so no doubt ill be posting her fellas.

Green bro are you doing recirc or DTW this matters alot !

:D

DONAJTHEIII

Holly shit this is a hot thread, it turned into quite the debate :)

Well
DONAJTHElll,
I don't want to have my night cycle warmer then or equal too day time temps,
I don't mind running 24,7 it keeps Temps from 68 to 80 at the highest for a couple hours on a ready hot day in socal, I guess I could turn the lights off for a few hours at night... But then it will get down to about 62 or lower sometimes it's 50 something here,l at night,

But whatever that's besides the point I make my decision based around my life soo that's what works for me.

i like higher end bulbs it makes me feel happy :D

also keeping temps the same constantly throughvbeg is what i try to do keeps em nice a squat and bushy just me whatever works for ya

:tiphat:

DONAJTHEIII

I was using calmag for a while because I thought I needed extra in coco. I had a crazy lockout where leaves fingers drooped from 9 and 7 to 3 finger leaves.the problem was there was plenty of calmag in my nutrients and I was causing an imbalance by adding more. Its not that the water has enough calmag, its that most nutrients do.

Yes normal drift. As in +or - .1 a day. Not +or - 1.0 immediately

i cant comment to much right now ill respond back in a while. no bro i put in 5.7-6.2 ph

ive put in 6.2 and seen 5.3-5.4 in runoff

and my runoff will stay in the low 5's and do its own thing. dont check runoff ph but i do try to keep my ec numbers close to my input.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
im hand watering 2x a day

i have four pots im trying to recharge and wash all the old shit out before i plant up, EC started at 2.

now EC 1.2 but ph is not coming back up, i know if i keep washing threw a solution of say ph 6 it will eventually come back to where i want it.

id like to know how to prevent it. i never went over 1.4 EC the last time this coco was used? the plants i have in flower are giving the same run off readings and they are showing signs of lock out and clawing

yes i know not to flush with plain water for the caution exchange,

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
You're absolutely right, and you're using the nutes as intended - with unfiltered tap water, and require no added cal/mag.

My point has been that the second you filter the water, you don't only take out all the bad stuff, you take out all the good stuff too, and that has to be replaced. Hence, a cal/mag and trace element supplementation when using filtered water.

By the way, there are also hydro nutrients specifically for soft water.

So always check the labels.