What's new

NEED COCO MASTER ADVICE PLEASE PH PROBLEM

indalo

Thanks for all the feed back lads. Greeeen grassss , just out of curiosity , what ppm do you have on your tap water ? ( 0.5 )

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
my tap water is .8 EC sorry dont have my meter to give you ppm scale. most of the area around here has large amounts of black and white limestone.

there bringing in water charges to so im trying rain water. the rain water is under .2 EC

Man this post is all over the place,

Just an update on the PH problem,
It has been a week since I water and the plants are doing pretty good it seems, if my ph really is at 6.6 or so,
then coco is the bomb and I would be thrilled to see what it can do in a optimal range :),

ALSOO I HAVE SOME SIGNS OF PESTS!!!

I FOUND A LEAF THAT LOOKED LIKE JUST THE SURFACE OF THE LEAF WAS BEING EATEN AND THERE WAS BLACK POOP IT LOOKED ALLLL OVER IT!

IDK WHAT TYPE OF PEST THIS IS??
ANY IDEAS,?

I am going to get lady bugs and a praying mantis! !!!
And spray

I have a pic I'll post when I get home,
I was lollipoping and I notice some leaves that were eaten just alittle on the surface not all the way thru and I saw one leaf that had a bunch of black shiny poop lookin things I set aside the leaf, but I think I set a pot on top of it I will have to go look for it
Regardless I'm going to Spray and get some preditors

Miraculous Meds

I have a pic I'll post when I get home,
I was lollipoping and I notice some leaves that were eaten just alittle on the surface not all the way thru and I saw one leaf that had a bunch of black shiny poop lookin things I set aside the leaf, but I think I set a pot on top of it I will have to go look for it
Regardless I'm going to Spray and get some preditors

black dots and shiny, sounds like thrips. Tiny little yellow worm lookin critters. Check out the thrips thread for identification. Spinosads the product if u verify them. Easy, effective, supposedly natural, spray. Hit em twice while cleaning up the room and u should have them completely eradicated.

indalo

@ jack mehaulf , sorry , me bad. Didn't realize this was re. Ph only , ooops @ Greeen Grasss , that could be 800 ppm on a 0'5 scale . more or less same as mine .

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
@ jack mehaulf , sorry , me bad. Didn't realize this was re. Ph only , ooops @ Greeen Grasss , that could be 800 ppm on a 0'5 scale . more or less same as mine .

ye i dont think water gets much worse then that. now they want us to pay for it lol fuck off :)

Whats upp! Just thought I'd update this thread,

So the PH problem, is no longer much of a problem,
I know there will be some new coco grower, with a fresh PH metter, monitoring everyING that comes out of the coco like I was doing. I know they will think the same thing I was (this is bullshit), so I want to keep this thread going... just in case there is someone out there that has the same experience as me,

OK I am using the FLORA NOVA SERIES

When I first started, I was going by the book, witch says
FN grow,
root enchancer,
alittle cal mag,
and Floralicious plus,
At 1/4 strength or so,
I found that the doses was fine and all the proper nutrients were there... But when I would water ID mesure my run off PH and it came out to almost 7.0 sometimes
when I was feeding at (5.8), I had very consistent results
The PH never would come down,
AND This did seem to effect my very young plants at the time,... But they did continue to grow (slowly it seemed)

Now I am about 5 weeks into veg or so and they still have a few problems like N Toxity it looks like and some purple stems on some plants and a few leaves dying on a few indivudual plants, but over all they are growing nicly,

I Noticed the N tocity problem a few weeks ago and decided to try and lower my N (FLora NoVA line has loud of N in everything)

So now I am running start up lucas formula,

8ml of FLORA NOVA BLOOM,

It's only been 2 waters now haven't seen to much improvement but everything is still growing,

(I still test my run off and I have noticed that as I bump ip my EC, PPM the PH gets closer my PH going IN)
So as the nutrients get more concentrated the ph stays closer to what I am feeding at.
witch is currently
around 1.2 EC
1000 or so Ppm,
around there, STILL NO TIP BURNED
and those 5 gal buckets I have them in are starating to dry out faster :)

I will try to upload some pics! It's a pain inthe ass tho and somtimes I just give up

If u are reading this AND CAN NOT SEE THE PICS PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL TRY AGAIN TO POST THEM. (I HAD A PROBLEM WITH PICS BEFORE)

The last photo,
is the beginning of a problem with 4 plants,

Any help would b appreciated... I pasted 2 threads on the subject

Attachments

• 20150516_183206.jpg
    20150516_183206.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20150510_093014.jpg
    20150510_093014.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20150514_210427.jpg
    20150514_210427.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20150516_121937.jpg
    20150516_121937.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 11
  • 20150516_121949.jpg
    20150516_121949.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 10
Sory I've been busy, I've been meaning to update this for ya guys.. I know there is someone out there looking at this right now thinking, " oh fuuuuk my ph is jacked, game over" (and to stay on topic for a second)
anyone that thinks PH run off is the "end all" is sorts wrong..

FROM WHAT I NOW UNDERSTAND CHECKin RUNOFF, IS NOT EXACTLY 100% FOOLPROOF..

AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK..

THERE ARE MANY FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHEN TAKING RUN OFF MESURMENTS,

Like how much run off are you getting.

.are you doing straight up drain to waste .

.when was the last time you flushed (if in coco a good flush once a month,.... depending on if it using som thing like drip clean or not and how much runoff you get. Is a factor and nessisary ,

I'M BEGINNING TO RAMBLE, AND THAT'S HARD TO DO WHEN TEXTing lol,

So I'll keep it simple,

I'VE FOUND FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCE, CHECKING RUN OFF IS NOT TOTALLY NESSISARY, AND THE PROBLEM THAT I WAS HAVING WHERE I WOULD FEED AT A CERTAIN PH IN A SMALL POT AND HAVE IT RUN Off A POINT LOWER THAN IT WENT IN WAS TOTALLY STRANGE AND I'M STILL NOT EXACTLY SURE WHAT HAPPEND.
BUT
I CAN SAY THAT THE PROBLEM THAT I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING WAS NOT TOTALLY PH RELATED....

(Main point!!!!!)

(My problem, I think was related to nutrients, and even tho PH AND NUTRIENTS GO HAND IN HAND, one Is not the other.. so I believe now that what I was dealing with was a mild cal,mag definCy,...)))))))))

This beING my first run in coco, ( and having not read enough, and not knowing Wtf I was getting into) iiiii think lead to me, basically, real basically, just plain and simple having no idea what I was getting into,

Ugh....

Another main point..

MY PROBLEM WAS REALLY ONLY WHEN I WAS INA VERY YOUNG STAGE, AND I THOUGHT I SHOULD BE FEEDING VERY LOW....... WITCH MAID MY SOLUTION A VERY WEAK BUFFER OF PH, WITCH!!!!!!!! CHANGED, FLUCTUATED, GOT FUCKED UP,.... BECAUSE IT WAS SUCH A WEAK FEED... WHEN IT WENT THROUGH THE COCO, WITCH IS NATURALLY PRETTY NEUTRAL, AROUND 6.2 OR WHATEVER IT IS,,,,, IT CHANCED MY FEED THAT WAS GOING IN ONE SIDE TO COME OUT THE OTHER, ... DIFFERENT I THINK THE actually FEED THAT WAS SATURATING THE COCO MIGHT HAVE BEEN ALITTLE CLOSER TO THE (IN) THEN THE (OUT,RUN OFF), SO IT WAS NOT ACTUALLY A PROBLEM, BEING IN THE 6.8 RAnge(run off)

Whatever regardless,, fuck run off...

Make sure the solution going in is a proper PH AND PPM and MAKE SURE THE POT IS NOT TO BIG SO IF NEED YOU CAN ADJUST MORE FREQUENTLY! !!!!

I KNOW I HAVE NO ROOM TO TALK SINCE I'M new to coco, and in totally not stating anything as concret! But that is how I feel, currently, anyone with anything cotrodictory to say please chive in,... ,

I just got some time and thought I'd update :) a

Weeded1s

I think theres enuff coco growers now that a mod should start breaking the coco forum up into a Help... Grow log...simple question sticky... Beginber coco forum..Just saying! .we all love to help for the most part (afterall we are giving our knowledge for free) bzut these questions are the same things yhat comebup over and over again.

SteelCityGreen

I'm not sure who has been telling you that runoff in coco is important. I've noticed you're freaking out a lot in the posts. Just relax, work on one problem at a time ( Environment to start) then you can start working on a nute recipe (with or without additives)

I hand water, drain to waste everyday. mostly always with run off, if one or two pots don't give me runoff. I give a little extra next feed until it does run off. I USED to check to ppm and pH of the run off. Until I realized there's little point in doing so (especially in COCO as it holds and slowly releases certain elements) unless the plant is displaying symptoms.

High ppm runoff is usually synonymous with low PH
Low ppm is usually synonymous with high PH

It's not unusual for the PH to be lower in runoff, that is not a problem attributed to your nutrients. The plant is using more water than nutrients due to the environment OR it just isn't as hungry for the PPM's it's currently getting.

There's probably a few other variables too I'm sure a much more experienced person will drop by.

I always rinse my coco before use. even my botanicare.

Dready_jake

Yeah i think the only time cocos runoff is really important is if the plant has filled the pot and there are no more "empty" spots of coco. Slurry tests are more accurate, but with all the well rooted plants I'm about to chop and my mothers all display the "in" values in the runoff. I guess like they said its not always accurate, but I'll check once in a while for shits and giggles. AND with recircilating like me, its really important to keep runoff values in line. Because that runoff is going to be reused

Miraculous Meds

More than likely what u ran into was u didn't have the cec in the coir satisfied before u put the plants in, then giving low doses of nutrient at first just exasperated the problem, with the medium still demanding more ca/mg ions to accommodate the overload of K it has and releases. If u would have pre treated the coir with enough nutrient to balance the levels of ca/mg to K, then u can tp the plant without any deficiencies popping up till u feed enough to balance the medium. If ur hydrating coir, I like to soak in 1.2ec of nutrient solution, then flush thru with .5ec till the runoff is 1.2ec or less, then flush one last time with full strength 1.2ec, thus leaving a perfect starting ec and cation balance with no stall for ur plant. If ur using a good prefluffed ready to use coir, I still like to flush with some 1.2ec and make sure that their isn't a large runoff ec, if there is, I flush till I get close to 1..2ec coming out before I plant. No more deficiencies or stalled growth!