What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

need advice on how to protect from burglars...

supermanlives

Veteran
if your an illegal grower alarms that make sound are out. there is some that call you and such. and if you do anything that could make the intruder scream for their life thats also bad. either scenario cops will check out place. and if their are screaming sounds they can bash right in . if alarm sounds and illegal entry is allegedly seen they also enter.

Blaz3

Look man...to protect yourself from a burglar..you gotta BE the burglar..you gotta think like them..smell like them..talk like them...BE THEM....

First things first..WINDOWS..every single one..even the top bathroom one...windows are the first weakhole..and the first attempt a burglar will make..start by installing BARS..on every single window....THEN,screw and nail shut big ass plywoods on EVERY window...you can first put up some curtains so your house looks normal..then the plywood..this helps in all areas..lighth leaks..NOISE..smell..it just adds a second thick layer between your grow and the outside world....so remember..first bars..curtains..then plywood..

next we move on to the DOORS..especially the backyard hidden ones...if a thieve wants in..that bastard will even kick your shit down...theyr like zombies...if your big money ballin..install a second,iron bar door...expensive..but very worth it...use heavy duty bolt locks on every lock...bolt locks are much better and safer ...if you can..screw in a big ass plywood on the doors you WONT use.....

second....a dog if you LIVE there...period..nobody wants to get fucked up by a mean ass growling rabid beast lol....if not..then install floodlighths..set them on timers to come on at nighth...illuminate "hidden spots"....backyards...sideyards....

TRIM all shrubbery near the house..this provides a safe hiding and planning spot for the little buggers lol...

this should cover it..unless your expecting the freakin' zombie apocolypse..which should be here in...3...2......RUNN!!

limonene

There's been a lot of shady stuff going on around here lately. My laptop was stolen from an open window while someone was home and the other night I came home to the blood curdling screams of a woman being assaulted in an apartment across the street. We got a dog the next day. I really want some lights with motion detectors. Perhaps they won't stop someone I know breaking in, but will hopefully deter the wandering drunk.

DoomsDay

its funny with all this mention of a dog that the dog is useless or rather useless in defending your property... i can tell you from a first hand account, without my dog i would have been ripped and the potential thief would have on less hole in them... but thank goodness to my dogs bark (didnt need to be anywhere near the op, just within earshot of an odd sound)... dog barks... boom stick makes the rest of the work easy.

Wendull C.

Veteran
I have six dogs. They are all rescues but no one gets near my property without me knowing it, and the cattle mutts wont even let a friend in who has a key to the gate and door. I didnt get them to protect but they make a big difference in my peace of mind. If you get to know their quirks you can tell an alarmed bark from a warning bark. That is a big plus in the middle of the night.

Dankstang

I've been installing security systems for 15 years, mostly commercial buildings.
There's been some great ideas on this thread, here's a couple more

Get an alarm system from a local small alarm company. You can even get one with no contracts as long as you pay for the equipment up front. You can set the order of who the alarm response company calls first. To prevent cops from sneaking in, have them call you and/or family first. That way you can verify first or have neighbors handle your biz for you if your gone. Instead of having an audible alarm, lots of companies like silent alarms.
That way it doesn't spook the intruders and they take their time.....giving you time to show up or check cameras via cell phone/pc. Some large box store companies will have
their own national monitoring center that logs onto the cameras to verify....saves them big $$$ for false alarm charges from local PD.

Lots of cheap camera systems on ebay. I have a hard time selling packages to small biz because of it. It's tough market, but great for the home consumer. I got an 8 camera package: IR outdoor rated cameras, networkable DVR with mobile device support and power supplies for $200 minus the hard drive.

Lots of good tech out there, but still expensive for the good stuff (hi resolution network cameras, DVR's that email notifications with picture/video clip)

Unless you want to make your house a prison with bars on every door and window, there's not much you can do to prevent a ripper. What you can do is have evidence of who it is so if you decide can give information to the police.

L

LEX-UK

Unless you want to make your house a prison with bars on every door and window, there's not much you can do to prevent a ripper. What you can do is have evidence of who it is so if you decide can give information to the police.

Or know where togo to get ya shit back and grab the snake.. and have fun with him in the forest.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
a big dog my frind was rip off twice the third time we put a 110v hot wire on a window frame about 3:30 in the morning a squilling screame came from the barn the culpret was laying on the ground he never came back lol 110v will knouck u down and out but not killu

teemu shalanie

WeeDGamE StannisBaratheoN
Veteran
skudules,...Gotta have kick bars on doors, bars on basement windows, alarm, cameras u can check for your smart phone, 2 steel doors pad locked on the way to grow room, 2 dogs , and 2 shotguns, n a .22(legal fire arms) , if u already been ripped at this location no choice but to move set up shop else where,........ thats the game ,......

TURBD

Friend got ripped.
Did the fortification thing on doors and windows.
2 1/4 months later they took a chainsaw to the side of his house right into the room.
You have to move.

downbeamerweed

I agree that nothing will deter thieves once they know where the loot is.
Loose lips sink ships. I personally have always been a CCW holder, even though
My area is safe to those who keep from befriending or trusting people they shouldn't.
I think this istrue for most places (except urban areaswith crimeproblems). I am almost always home
and am not afraid to use lethal force on pos rippers. Though full precautions would have to be.taken to ensure i was right by the law.

J

Javadog

Three things that burgles hate: Lights, Guns, and Dogs.

Or so the saying goes.

Sorry for the loss OP.

JD

S

SeaMaiden

They've got to be trained, IMO. My dog is big. She warned me. I watched the guy walk up our driveway. At 9am. You've GOT to be ready, because when it comes to robbery time there *is* no warning. You either had better have that gun or whatever you plan to use in your hands, or you're going to be surprised.

Thus, a well trained dog. Love Rotties, but my husband isn't a fan.

TURBD

I don't give a fuck how big or how many dogs you got.
If I wanted your shit dogs wouldn't stop me.
Small inconvenience at most.
Allot of small ones could make a better system but bottom line is once the location has been compromised its time to move.