What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

need advice on how to protect from burglars...

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
As far as guard dogs go.
Akita FTW.
I had a GSD/Akita, and no-one who wasn't cleared made it on the property.
Wolf-hounds work well, too.
Buddy used to have a 200+ lb wolf, hated everything and everyone. I had to feed it for four days until it accepted me, and only after another friend showed up to the house and let the dog know I was okay.

R

RedRain

sealed room and thermo plus water cooled AC not outdoor units

good insulation

hardened steel gates to slow the fuckers down

GrowbagUK

Not something I would recommend really:

The Vietnamese growers here in the UK regularly booby-trap the windows and doors by wiring up to the 240V mains. Nasty! The cops have to call in electricians for grow-op raids.

My MOTHER got ripped, so don't think it can't/won't happen to you. Be overprotected.

She lost some amazing genetics and her stash.

She was the picture perfect grower, never making a single amateur mistake. Been doing it for over 30 years. She has her shit together, and still lost it all to rippers. She wasn't even growing huge numbers or anything, just for personal use.

BE. OVER. PREPARED. cameras, dogs, motion sensors, cell phone notifications, the whole deal.

What gave her away? I'm always interested in hearing about people who had their shit together and still got ripped as opposed to those who did stupid shit and got taken. Thanks in advance.

smokefrogg

Veteran
never would've thought wolf hounds would be well suited for this, only met 1 in my life and he was such a silly funny happy gigantic horse of a dog, he wanted to be everyone's best friend it seemed!

...love the cameras, we had an attempt earlier this year, he knocked over 1 camera, then right after he felt safe and smashed a window he looked right into another camera, after that the only thing we saw was his ass jumping the fence to gtfo of there, surreal feeling to be on the phone with local pd as you are watching some foolio try to bust in...we had been broken into a year before this, which is why all the cameras went up

both instances with the burglars happened in broad daylight, shortly after 11am on a weekday, the second attempt we were amazed that they tried to jimmy windows right in the front yard first, brave or stupid who knows but it was wide open and very easy to see from the street with tons of traffic

got cameras everywhere now and just keep on adding them, the main system records to itself and a backup drive in another room, spent the money to have a good alarm system installed, it's cool getting notifications from it on your cell phone, the cameras can also be viewed from the phone which is rad

here are some cheap ones that we like for some purposes, you can link up to 4 of them to the d-link website for easy viewing remotely, i don't trust d-link a whole lot and have mine running through our own servers setup for all that, d-link does include a free basic pc recording program that will work on any halfway decent old pc (within the last 5~6 years or so) so that could make for a quick and dirty cheap setup, we're using a mac mini server with other software for recording, pretty affordable to do it this way a cam or 2 at a time i feel

http://mydlink.dlink.com/products/DCS-932L

never use an alarm system. no need for the pokie to arrive to your house before you do.

big dogs, solid doors, and window bars are the best. but as said, if they ripped you once, they will do it again.

best security measure, tell NO ONE!

never use an alarm system. no need for the pokie to arrive to your house before you do.

big dogs, solid doors, and window bars are the best. but as said, if they ripped you once, they will do it again.

best security measure, tell NO ONE!

Yeah everyone go run and make your house look like a crack dealers house!!!

SirTOKESalot, that is why it is important to not make your outside look like you are hiding something. best to "appear" normal.

as the pokie say, if you look like you are hiding something, you probally are.

TLoft13

If someone is targeting you specifically, and they're motivated, it can be very hard to stop them short of having someone at the house 24/7

Protecting against random break ins is easier, you just have to make your house look like one of the harder targets on the block.
Like others said, alarm signs, big scary dog that barks at everything, etc....
Bars on the windows, and a fortified door will stop pretty much everyone, except that one motivated guy coming specifically for you, especially if you're in the country where they can be a little louder about getting in.
Burglars often get thru your roof if it's possible to climb on it. Easy to rip through insulation& drywall, and most people have no alarm or motion sensors on the upper levels of the house.

GeneMaxo

Don't depend on dogs. My brother inlaw's house got robbed and the dogs basicly held the door for them. A good steak will break the concentration of any well trained dog.

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
I would set up a security system that is not monitored.

A dog, is better than no dog. Or maybe some ninja cats.

Strategically placed bear traps.

supermanlives

Veteran
Don't depend on dogs. My brother inlaw's house got robbed and the dogs basicly held the door for them. A good steak will break the concentration of any well trained dog.
not my dog. she will fuck you up first then eat your steak. she has been well trained.

rosalind

ive been looking all around on IC and i cant seem to find a thread on how to fortify your house/grow area. I was recently ripped off and im trying to make my house impossible to break into. or at least as close to it as i can go.....

the most obvious security weak points i can think of are the doors and windows...not sure exactly on where to start to secure them....do i just board that shit up?

what do you fellow ic folk do to your grow spots?

honestly at this point i dont care how much my house starts to look like a jail. just sick of these thieves

any help would be appreciated

Using a good quality of security alarm you protect yourself from burglars. There are many types of security alarm are available in market. You can buy wireless burglar alarm that comes with dialer which is automatically and it is best and very effective type of burglar alarm.

SICE

Anyone know if there is a type of alarm for a door that will be triggered when the door is being moved or if someone is trying to break it. Kinda like a car alarm that goes off by vibration.

Im not sure if someone might be trying to break into my op. Cameras are good only with internet cause Im sure they will take the cameras along with the hard drives when they are inside. I could use a dog.

I just hate being away from my place. I made the mistake of having some small plants outside and that drew attention to my place. Im sure they expect plants to be near or around my place now. I just hopw they dont assume Im growing inside but you never know.

#1 tip... Get out the ghetto

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Security is something that you need to do in layers, never rely on one "Golden Bullet" solution, you need a selection, layers. Read up about the Maginot line, you always need more than one line of defence....

Inside, alarms that are so violently loud you just have to GET_THE_FUCK_OUT

You can make your own Hot Pepper juice, it is basically exactly the same as Hash Oil extraction, make sure you dilute it properly :)

Fireworks, specifically large bangers, you can get electronically operated firing mechanisms, great for boobytraps, but, please do not blow yourselves up ... IC does not have a Darwin Awards section, yet.

Manstien

Everything can be bypassed just like the Maginot line - I'd suggest prevention - small things like not acting flashy, don't try to draw attention to yourself or stand out - simple things like making sure newspaper is NEVER left at your front door. and there are simple methods to keep people thinking you are home...timers set up to TV/Lights, also things like inside bars and re-enforced steel doors if you want to get serious.

TonyGreenHand

A dog is good, if well trained, better so in packs. If you have the property though geese are a good bet. Get a breeding pair, anything happens at night you'll know about it. Let them run free and feed them by the door to your grow in the morning, they'll hang out there and wait for you to wake up to feed them. Over time they'll have babies and they'll all hang out together. If the parents aren't protecting themselves they are watching over their babies. Everything is a threat except the person who raised them, and even then sometimes it's a tough call. Not only will they raise alarm, they will also attack whatever stands its ground against them (more so if they have some goslings). The first pair I raised from eggs ended up attacking my dad on the porch of my house and broke his leg (and his pride) and he weighs close to 300lbs. They don't mess around when it comes to their babies and no one can tell them to sit or stay..in any language.

Also they'll eat all the slugs on your property which is a bonus if you're an outdoor gardener as well.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
^^^^^..... hell YEAH~Guard Geese...... priceless to say the least, and quite possible EVEN more effective..................ROFLMA0

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Ive had some nice big SCARY pitbulls but that guy looks like he has been juicing. Looks like he has so much muscle that he can't walk right. .

that is a cur not a pit bull..

and
apbts dont really make good guard dogs...
they were specifically bred NOT to be human aggressive.
this was done so that handlers could break dogs during the heat of battle. a fighter that bit was culled or at least never bred.