What's new

My 8ft 24 Bulb 624 Watt CFL Hood/Fixture For Under $150

I'm gonna have to go with drunken on this one... you would have been better off running a single set of strips along the top middle of your hood with y splitters at each fixture. Maybe some small nickle and dime sized holes in the reflector would vent some of that heat. you're basically baking a lil oven inside that hood. great if you wanted to keep some grilled cheese warm.

Elite

great if you wanted to keep some grilled cheese warm.

Most hoods will.
Given the dimensions of the room...The heat has no where to go (It'll be up, almost touching the ceiling). Thats where a strong little portable AC and proper ventilation come into play...

:cool:Elite

Yo elite, also you compared your new hood energy draw to that of a blow dryer or microwave... not many people use a blow dryer or microwave 12-24hrs a day....

S

sparkjumper

I'm also an electrician and its funny how different reality appears to different people.I have found most peoples responses to his fixture to be abrasive to say the least,while he calmly explains he will find a way to cool the fixture.Seems like a killer flo to me good luck bro

Elite

Thanks Sparkjumper....people are so quick to doubt...I'll show them whats up :joint:

HawaiianPunch-I use layman terms for laymens. I can quote some specs. of various motors and calculate continuous loads. Its boring for me to talk about, its boring to read.

I try to keep the insignificant details to a minimum.

Point is I understand continuous loads/motors/amps/breakers/ect....
thanks for the....concern??

:chin:Elite

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think you have a nice idea, and worked it out ok.
But, as others have said, you have a heater that provides very little efficiency as far as growing watts is concerned. More energy is wasted in heat, and not being put to good use.
And the energy you use to overcome this heat is going to decrease the efficiency even further. But, it is an interesting project none the less. Cute, really.

I would study up a bit on light and reflectivity. Your idea of painting everything white is a good one, but far from needed. And it did not help you one iota as far as increasing the reflectivity of the lights. It only increased your cost and labor hours.
If you truly feel you understand reflectivity and light usage, then you would know that overdriven t8's would blow this thing away, with far less heat and wasted energy than your energy hog.

I also sense a bit of elitism...but many of us seem to be a bit cocky at times. (shrug)
Not to say that you aren't good at your trade, but you must realize that there are folks in here who have degrees, and quite possibly many years of experience over that of yours.
Yes, you may be teaching basics to some, but others see your stuff as boring as you seem to think some of the questions you got were.

Elite

I've learned years ago, if you have "haters" your doing something right!!:pimp3:

hoosierdaddy - Under ideal circumstances I would do EVERYTHING differently. However I'm working with VERY COMMONLY found items (so common I had a great deal of them on hand).

Not bad for the Howard Hughes of CFL light fixtures!!

:wink:Elite

Elite

As an engineer we are required to do the thinking so that the electricians install it correctly. I seen more projects go sideways from them not following the plan. You have to be able to look at things from a couple of angles.

LMFAO...as an Electrician, we ASSUME the engineers calculations are correct. I've seen some engineering Fuck Ups!! Like the elevator shaft being too short for hydraulic elevator I'm wiring:laughing:
(they had to extend the roof!!) Anyway, excellent point/point of view!!

HawaiianPunch- these are my final words to you...This is a thread on the fixture itself. I posted pictures/link of my grow diary (SEPARATE THREAD).
I'm in the process of getting my AC ect. I'm sorry my thread doesn't live up too your unusually high standards/time-tables...perhaps its time to "change the channel" quit while your behind...your the only one getting worked up here...I doubt you have the patience to grow, you don't even have the patience to follow a thread leading up to growing...

:rasta:Elite

Elite

It is not like you are a PHd though. I work with plenty of PHd's that can't even tie their shoes.

:biglaugh:

I have a fixture that I built on the cheap too, smaller and more manageable. You can adjust my lights withing the fixture.
I am sure your fixture will work, but it could be better.
Look at my thread about CFL mouting angle.

Nice Job!!
For me there is ALWAYS room for improvement...If need be I'll use several small computer fans mounted centered, drawing air away (whatever is necessary)...The fixture is not finished yet...I never claimed it to be...

Elite

Since the outside temps are going to be low and its going to be cloudy and rainy for days, I'll be keeping the Strawberry Haze inside...

5 bulbs covers them WELL!! If you look close in the far back is a 2nd fan. I checked the temps of the center of the fixture (magnetic thermometer) after about an hour it went up 2 degrees (too 81).

Instead of an oven I have a wind tunnel going. I have a much more powerful fan for when I add the rest of the bulbs...

I think you all underestimate the CFL's.
I understand I'll be using a lot of bulbs, however how hot can it get if the bulbs are only warm to the touch??

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
thanks for the thread elite.. .. I learned that anyone calling themselves elite.. probably isn't.

It was an interesting idea to add 24 cfls to a reflector.. it seems your head got so big you missed the point of what your doing (creating a huge heater in a small space thats placed badly).

If you want elite genetics like bubba kush OG or any of the other great stuff.. why be a cawk to everyone that has ideas or questions?

I wasted my precious few minutes this morning reading your taint thread where all your doing is asking for genetics.

try here - > www.seedboutique.com

You know you've made it on ICMAG when you have your own troll!!!

Elite

You know you've made it on ICMAG when you have your own troll!!!

:biglaugh:

I know, I know, lol....

I hate to admit it, but I'm glad HawaiianPunch was deleted all together, he was causing havoc all over the board. He asked Michelle Rainy if she had any seeds :mad:. I believe that was the last straw, I've seen many people banned, never deleted. If you can't be civil here, and follow the rules...where can you??

Well thats all I have for the "haters", I have work to do...

Trolls or not, The Show must grow on!!

Z

Zeinth

??

??

any plants yet??

i been using a 5 bulb ceiling fan light fixture found in the trash with cfls on a 99 cent store white bowl..

14 watts x 5 = 70 watts...x 5 of these = 350 watts.

alot of people throw out the light kit for ceiling fans...garge sale 2 dollars a piece.

fixture...2 pk 14 watt bulbs..3 dollars... 10 x 5 x 3 = 18 dollars...does 5 square feet ok..

Elite

any plants yet??

i been using a 5 bulb ceiling fan light fixture found in the trash with cfls on a 99 cent store white bowl..

14 watts x 5 = 70 watts...x 5 of these = 350 watts.

alot of people throw out the light kit for ceiling fans...garge sale 2 dollars a piece.

fixture...2 pk 14 watt bulbs..3 dollars... 10 x 5 x 3 = 18 dollars...does 5 square feet ok..

Nice, that is one of the best aspects of the CFL...ease of application (opposite of what I did :D)

To answer your question, I have a grow in my sig. I'm giving them as much sun as I can, extending their photo-period. And cloning as much as I can and I have Sour Bubble BX3 beans in route.

Do to personal security issues, I won't be using this fixture as much as I would have liked for this grow...I was hoping for a SB SOG, but it appears I'll be doing strictly Outdoor flowering...:badday:

One thing thats consistent with growing, whether it be Indoor/Outdoor is the inconsistencies...

Elite

Update:

I purchased SB BX3 seeds from Plan B who claim to have BOG's "Chocolate Bubba"
BOG claims he never made "a chocolate anything"
So I don't know WTF I have coming in the mail (3 weeks yesterday)
Plus my troll is back and he gave me negative karma...

:badday:Elite

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Awwww I'm sorry to hear you wont be flowering with that bad bitch that's a shame but everything happens for a reason so it'll go down when the time is right... I got a lil outdoor thing going in grow diaries

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice.

edit - then I try another and I get the You have to spread some rep around one LOL wtf!!!!

Latest posts

Latest posts