What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Movies to watch while stoned that aren't about drugs

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, a film made by drug users, for drug users, pretending to be a kids film.

Go see it as fucked up as possible.

I will now!:laughing:

Also a fan of Charlie and the chocolate Factory. Both the original version and the Johnny Depp 90's remake.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
'Hashish' by Daniel Grabner
A documentary about Morocco
Rif Films

Www.rif-film.com

Oops, forgot about the 'movies NOT about drugs part'. sorry

70's SCI FI classic 'Logan's Run'-

a film about a futuristic society living under a dome. Logan escapes through the underground sewage tunnels into the outside world.
check it out

Last edited:
T

thesloppy

Shit man , you should'nt hadda axed me all that. Prepare for an essay....

Good shit in here from Boyd! On the Kurosawa front I'd only ad that 'Dreams' is a particularly great stoner film, that probably wouldn't make most Kurosawa purist's lists, because it's pretty surreal and lacks much of a plot, but it sure is pretty, and you don't have to pay much attention, making it perfect for a night in with some weed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_dpJmUPZY

Shaw Brothers is my shit, and my preferred stoned viewing. 5 Deadly Venoms, 36 Chambers, and Come Drink With Me are all classics, but I actually prefer batshit, over the top stuff from their less consistent later period like Five Element Ninjas, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, The Battle Wizard, or Buddha's Palm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xChArcx5_M4

Some other wacky stoner kung-fu classics I feel I should pimp include Master of the Flying Guillotine, Once Upon A Time In China, Swordsman, Shaolin Soccer (Lots of good Stephen Chow stuff) and The Story Of Ricky/Riki-Oh. As also mentioned by Boyd, Zatoichi and Lone Wolf and Cub are both hours and hours of classic fun from a couple of roly-poly Japanese brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZYXtFJTrvk

waveguide

Veteran
Kung Fu/Hong Kong/Japanese/Thailand:

Damn Near Any 68 - 82 Golden Harvest or Shaw Bro's Production

And then Kurowsawa's Masterpieces: Pick Any Film He Made, Only His Last, Posthumous Film was weak.

the hidden fortress

seven samurai

and then these standouts

5 deadly venoms

come drink with me

Drunken Master

Lone Wolf And Cub Series

Any Zatoichi (theres 27)

The Flying Guillotine

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Hero

Om Bak

Chocolate (The 2008 Thailand , Tony Jaa choreographed one)

Curse Of The Golden Flower

Bunraku

Big Boss man

Kung Fu Hustle

may i recommend... the evil cult... someone did a great job with the subs.. (iirc it's another retelling of one of louis cha's wuxia novels, heaven sword and dragon sabre? lots of those serials online, good stuff.. "laughing in the wind" is a nice story)

think it's "legend of the red dragon" with jet li that was fun too..

if you know about that era, mebbe you can answer a Q for me..

when the drunken master guy died, someone made a couple of comedy hong kong movies.. in one of them, they worship the drunken master guy's picture at an altar..

first one was one of these "12 bronze men of shaolin" deals (15 iron men? 17 wooden men?) - there's a protagonist guy, and his "granny" who is a dude with a headband and white face make-up.. lots of special effects and clever/stupid jokes. subtle, thinky stuff.

i occasionally see the "granny" character in other movies.. but can't remember any names..

T

thesloppy

i occasionally see the "granny" character in other movies.. but can't remember any names..

There's a granny character in Drunken Wu Tang who fights with her pipe. And a "watermelon monster". That one's a doozy.

waveguide

Veteran
There's a granny character in Drunken Wu Tang who fights with her pipe. And a "watermelon monster". That one's a doozy.

"jar boy" - they made at least two other movies with those characters.. clever, good subtext. buddhist shit.

guy used to have a yt channel with watermelon man's head for his avatar, got took down last year.

"You may not vote on any more threads today." thanks for the lead :tiphat:

yep - sub version is "taoism drunkard"
granny actor's page at imdb - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0950604/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

"the miracle fighters" - that's another one with the same characters

i figure they're probably entertaining in english, but i also figure the subtitle version where you can hear the authenticity is good too - they kinda had that higher level thing going.

aah -
from http://www.randybyers.net/?p=1751 which i only google cached.....

This is the third movie in an unofficial trilogy by the Yuen Clan featuring slapstick comedy, martial arts, and supernatural fantasy and starring Yuen Cheung Yan and Yuen Yat Chor. The first two are The Miracle Fighters (1982) and Shaolin Drunkard (1983). Taoism Drunkard was directed by Yuen Cheung Yan instead of Yuen Woo Ping. Cheung Yan once again plays both a grandmother and a bucktoothed drunken priest, as he did in Shaolin Drunkard, although it seems to be a different grandmother and a different priest. Yat Chor once again plays the virginal grandson. Missing is Eddy Ko, who played a sorrowful, conflicted figure in the first two films. He is replaced here by an actress named Liu Hao Yi, playing Starry Devil, a secondary villain caught between a rock and a deadly poison.

Okay, to be honest I was drunk when I watched this, and I lost the plot. Which is the way it should be, because this thing is just one crazy scene after another, piling on the outrageous action and goofy jokes. I’d probably say that by the third film they are scraping the bottom of the barrel, but the judgment is beside the point. The movie was no doubt tossed off in short order to make a quick buck off the popularity of the earlier ones, and it has an anarchic ad lib energy. By the end it’s even making postmodern jokes about itself, as characters complain that they’re getting destroyed because they aren’t the stars.

nah. they weren't paying attention ;)

Last edited:

waveguide

Veteran
that's why i never watch the dubbed versions..

..the watermelon monster is banana monster in the subbed version - when it goes to bite his dick off, he says "aah, banana addict again" ;)

T

thesloppy

that's why i never watch the dubbed versions..

..the watermelon monster is banana monster in the subbed version - when it goes to bite his dick off, he says "aah, banana addict again" ;)

Haha, nice. Never understood why it was a watermelon monster, now it almost makes sense. Sounds like you got it all figured out, I've only seen the one, I'll have to track down the others.

Green Squall

The Objective 2008

Semi low budget, but it just proves you don't need a huge budget for a great movie. On Netflix

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Columbiana,

a reminder of the chaos that can follow an innocently snapped photo of someone with a 'secret life'

Animal House
Caddyshack
Ghostbusters
Blazing Saddles
Zombieland
The Jerk
Blues Brothers

Micheal Moore documentaries,
Roger and Me
Bowling for Columbine, etc

i hope he is makes a documentary of the present cannabis legalization movement.
just putting it out there because i know he love Michigan :)

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Anything with Will Ferrel or Jack Black always make me laugh

i feel the same way about seth grodin, bill murray & steve martin

they all hit my funny bone pretty hard but i have to admit that if you put on the dvd of big lebowski and put rolling tray by my side,
i will be in 'happytears' by the time the dude pays for his milk with a cheque at the cashier.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Caught a few episodes of All in the Family (Archie Bunker) on Amazon's prime, haven't laughed so hard in a while. If you an old fart, great sitcom to watch stoned (it will bring back memories...amazing what they got away with then)---but make sure you pee first. LOL (wifey peed her pants).

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Seraphim Falls--gorgeous scenery, almost typical good guy chases bad guy post civil war movie, but with a surprise twist. Last 1/4 of the movie is surreal--almost LSD tripping...sort of "film noir". Watched it for the 2nd time this past weekend.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor
Movies NOT to watch stoned......

TRANCE by Roddy Doyle (commitments)

Too freaky:fsu::dunno::yoinks: