What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Movies to watch while stoned that aren't about drugs

Scroggy B

"Le placard" or in English "The Closet", 2001. A super funny French comedy, as neat and light as a perfect souffle! Highly recommended, no drugs in the movie at all.

Snype

Veteran
Evil Dead 2. I saw it for the first time on LSD. It was perfect! Part 2 is the best one.

whitebear

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events
Lock, Stock, 2 SMoking Barrels
HUman Traffic
Dark City

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs, a film made by drug users, for drug users, pretending to be a kids film.

Go see it as fucked up as possible.

Jahnice

thicker skin in training
ICMag Donor

The Big Lebowski -Coen Brothers
i have seen that film at least 20 times and it just gets funnier.
best scene- when Walter and the Dude are on the clifftop with Donny's ashes.
Walter opens the Folgers can and the wind blows the ashes back into the Dude's face.
Fuck it...let's go bowling!

www.dudeism.com

check it out...:)

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Kung Fu/Hong Kong/Japanese/Thailand:

Damn Near Any 68 - 82 Golden Harvest or Shaw Bro's Production

And then Kurowsawa's Masterpieces: Pick Any Film He Made, Only His Last, Posthumous Film was weak.

the hidden fortress

seven samurai

and then these standouts

5 deadly venoms

come drink with me

Drunken Master

Lone Wolf And Cub Series

Any Zatoichi (theres 27)

The Flying Guillotine

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

Hero

Om Bak

Chocolate (The 2008 Thailand , Tony Jaa choreographed one)

Curse Of The Golden Flower

Bunraku

Big Boss man

Kung Fu Hustle

Last edited:

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
Boyd Crowder, how do you compare RAN to other Kurosawa films or films of that "genre"?

Shit man , you should'nt hadda axed me all that. Prepare for an essay....

I consider Ran His Last Masterpiece - Its not quite as good as Seven Samurai, Forbidden Fortress (Lucas borrowed HEAVILY form this movie for Ep.4), Throne Of Blood, Rashoman or Kagemusha, but better than Red Beard, Yojimbo (Sergio Leone stole this plot for Fistfull of Dollars), Sanjuro, I Live In Fear, The Bad Sleep Well or High And Low.

Really there is no truly bad Kurosawa, and anything that stars Mifune is better than 99% of any cinema of its time. Spielberg once said "Most Directors have one Masterpiece in their Careers,but Kurosawa had eight."

You see, to me , Akira was heavily influenced by John Ford and hired the best cinematographers in Japan. In addition, he had the perfect foil in Toshiro Mifune. He once said of Toshiro “The ordinary Japanese actor might need 10 feet of film to get across an impression; Mifune needed only three. The speed of his movements was such that he said in a single action what took ordinary actors three separate movements to express. He put forth everything directly and boldly, and his sense of timing was the keenest I’ve ever seen in a Japanese actor." He also claimed Mifune was the fastest sword in all of cinema, even though Mifune was not a highly trained martial artist.

So theres my list of top Kurowsawa films .
Runners up include; Drunken Angel (my introduction to Kurosawa), Stray Dog, The Idiot, Dodesukaden and Ikiru are very very good films too.

Believe it or not , Ive seen all of the films on this list at least once.
I will watch any of these films anytime, anywhere, Akira was just that good.

IMHO Akira Kurosawa was the best filmaker who ever lived. As in anywhere, anytime. You cannot compare Him to other filmakers or films in that genre without weighting the list. The Zatoichi and Lone Wolf and Cub series of films are close but they are Action films where AK had far more depth even in the Action genre like Seven Samurai. The early Shaw Brothers and Golden Harvest Hong Kong movies had more depth, before the expolitative "kung fu fighting and fuck a plot" era of the early 70's -80's. Come Drink with Me comes to mind. Dont get me wrong, 36 Chambers, Drunken Master, etc are Super Great and actually have decent plotlines, but alot of that stuff was just cashing in on the kung fu kraze.

Phew - there goes an hour ...
hope you enjoy some of these treasures. lemme know what you find in your journey of discovery.

Last edited: