What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2019

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Probably getting on the work in the morning, take a nap and work in the evening schedule now! The heat is coming on! Looking forward to the next update! Lots of work to do out there. Get 'r Done!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
summer is here

summer is here

we've been pretty busy finishing our setup; tilling/amending/planting/irrigation . I haven't taken many pictures but will post more soon.

The big mounds have been plugged for about a month now, the plants are chugging along for the most part, but a few of them are having issues with their lowest branches wilting and dying off , which I think may be a sign of pythium. We ordered some Mycostop ,we will water it into each mound individually. I hope it doesn't become a bigger problem, this was one of our biggest issues last season but I didn't identify it until it was too late. I believe we lost at least 2 or 3 plants to it last yr. They just wilt everywhere eventually, if you get lucky a few branches will survive until harvest. Perhaps it is related to overwatering???? It's always tricky this time of year, walking a fine line between the soil surface getting too dry vs. the cores of the mounds getting too wet...

We've been spraying with sulfur weekly for mites. So far everything looks clean but we will keep it up until flowering, at which point we will switch to a Venerate/Grandevo rotation. We haven't really started foliar feeding yet though, I'm still waiting on a new sprayer pump. Also need to get a 250gal tank so we can start doing a weekly root drench with some nutrients. We did amend the soil heavily before planting so hopefully they won't get too hungry too soon.

Many of the ladies are growing well past their cages already, we will have to put up our first layer of trellis soon. I am thinking about just hanging the first layer of trellis directly from the cages themselves, draping it over each plant and wrapping around before attaching at key points. Then we will use T-posts for the second layer of trellis. I still haven't got an orchard ladder so doing the top layer of trellis might be interesting but we can worry about that in a few weeks :biggrin:

Our seed project is on hiatus for now, we had to focus on getting the full term garden planted and our males got neglected to say the least.. I will try again in the fall, perhaps pop some seeds this summer to re-plant the mounds after harvest and do a late-season open-pollination seed run. I think they can finish OK in November, it typically doesn't get below freezing until December.

Despite a slow start and a few issues, I am very happy with this year's garden so far. We still have room for improvement but I think this could be our best season yet. I owe a lot of it to my partner, my Queen, she has been working with me nonstop and keeping my spirits up. Our place is looking better than ever, I've been getting some music done in the studio, I am starting to finally have a social life. I have been feeling grateful lately, just to have made it this far. Even better will be if we finish out this season and crush it!

peace and good vibes!.. :thank you:

6Y105fEl.jpg

qnCXJtyl.jpg

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
39f is that kerilito or luposolitario ? piiiiiiiiiiiiix ! , love the sunsets , keep it up

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we've been pretty busy finishing our setup; tilling/amending/planting/irrigation . I haven't taken many pictures but will post more soon.

The big mounds have been plugged for about a month now, the plants are chugging along for the most part, but a few of them are having issues with their lowest branches wilting and dying off , which I think may be a sign of pythium. We ordered some Mycostop ,we will water it into each mound individually. I hope it doesn't become a bigger problem, this was one of our biggest issues last season but I didn't identify it until it was too late. I believe we lost at least 2 or 3 plants to it last yr. They just wilt everywhere eventually, if you get lucky a few branches will survive until harvest. Perhaps it is related to overwatering???? It's always tricky this time of year, walking a fine line between the soil surface getting too dry vs. the cores of the mounds getting too wet...

We've been spraying with sulfur weekly for mites. So far everything looks clean but we will keep it up until flowering, at which point we will switch to a Venerate/Grandevo rotation. We haven't really started foliar feeding yet though, I'm still waiting on a new sprayer pump. Also need to get a 250gal tank so we can start doing a weekly root drench with some nutrients. We did amend the soil heavily before planting so hopefully they won't get too hungry too soon.

Many of the ladies are growing well past their cages already, we will have to put up our first layer of trellis soon. I am thinking about just hanging the first layer of trellis directly from the cages themselves, draping it over each plant and wrapping around before attaching at key points. Then we will use T-posts for the second layer of trellis. I still haven't got an orchard ladder so doing the top layer of trellis might be interesting but we can worry about that in a few weeks :biggrin:

Our seed project is on hiatus for now, we had to focus on getting the full term garden planted and our males got neglected to say the least.. I will try again in the fall, perhaps pop some seeds this summer to re-plant the mounds after harvest and do a late-season open-pollination seed run. I think they can finish OK in November, it typically doesn't get below freezing until December.

Despite a slow start and a few issues, I am very happy with this year's garden so far. We still have room for improvement but I think this could be our best season yet. I owe a lot of it to my partner, my Queen, she has been working with me nonstop and keeping my spirits up. Our place is looking better than ever, I've been getting some music done in the studio, I am starting to finally have a social life. I have been feeling grateful lately, just to have made it this far. Even better will be if we finish out this season and crush it!

peace and good vibes!.. :thank you:

View Image

View Image

Thanks for the update! Plants are looking good! Pythium is bad stuff. Is there any other way to feasibly keep them watered and do it more accurately? Could you do a combination of soaker hose and watering wands? Thats exactly what happened to Dankwolf last year. Lost a plant to root rot! That sucks. We have to figure this watering thing out! I know its an artform. Can't you just lift the pot?

Keep up the good work! Time for some fertilizer soon! I'm going to work the soil and topdress tomorrow. About 30 days out from initiation of flowering!

Its hard to be social with a career in agriculture, plus people are crazy. Nobody is perfect, but I know God is! Its great to have a queen who's a good match. Its the power of humanity.

Have a good Independence Day! Thanks for the inspiration! :smoke:

Consider farming CBD Hemp. I don't know if thats something you'd want to do. Lots of CBD being sold. May be better money. :smoke:

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
What is the ph of your water?

I forget if you mentioned if you are on a well or if you get your water in a tanker truck?

I always wondered about foliar also. About adjusting ph or should it matter?

My tap water is up around 8 i think,. i never ph downed it before spraying my plants....
just wondering if it really matters or not?

I only spray neem, spinosad and BT... I don't really foliar feed, with teas and what not....

Looks good budz! Keep up the good work!!!!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran

I forget if you mentioned if you are on a well or if you get your water in a tanker truck?

My tap water is up around 8 i think,. i never ph downed it before spraying my plants....

I only spray neem, spinosad and BT... I don't really foliar feed, with teas and what not....

our water pH is about 6.8 i believe, but it's been a while since i checked. not sure how much it matters for foliar, probably not very much since the water is going to evaporate anyway but dont quote me on that.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
happy independence day!

happy independence day!

"America stands for freedom, but if you think you're free, try walking into a deli and urinating on the cheese!" :laughing:

happy 4th of july everyone! it's a hot one here, lots of sun for the plants and some nice smoke and food for me. we are heading to the lake for some fireworks. The garden is charging full throttle and we are now on cruise control. here's some photos from this afternoon... cheers!

Ancient OG f4 (and two hot dogs):
tOXFNmdl.jpg

Royal Kush (Mandelbrot):
8lmVpqHl.jpg

Satsuma (Bodhi):
rhxzq7bl.jpg

Space Monkey (Bodhi):
SitNYtel.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Purple Sprite:
7CBAiWZl.jpg

Sprite:
4c6Cm0ll.jpg

Sour Mandarina (Trichome Jungle):
bd5MGYpl.jpg

Mandarina (Trichome Jungle):
Dc6yNeql.jpg

Jerry Kush (mendo seeds):
NKcDCzLl.jpg

little-soldier

Hey Shcrews, if you dont want any trouble with root rot why dont you use a moisture reader? Most outdoor growers use them like rootwise. Just a heads up. Plants look astonishing as usual. Keep on keep it on.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Hey Shcrews, if you dont want any trouble with root rot why dont you use a moisture reader? Most outdoor growers use them like rootwise. Just a heads up. Plants look astonishing as usual. Keep on keep it on.
I have a reotemp moisture meter, i use it , but I'm still learning to trust it. I still have a constant fear of overwatering (and sometimes underwatering), but I am training myself to only water the plants when they really seem to be drying out. . As the season progresses and they start to fill out the big mounds and drink more it will become less of an issue.

in regards to root rot, One plant in particular has shown the most symptoms, possibly pythium or fusarium. Lots of dead wilted lower branches, and a generally weak/droopy look to the plant. I am hoping the Mycostop will help. The garden is looking great for the most part though

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I know it affects pesticide efficiency if the hard water minerals bind with the active ingredient and a portion of it is tied-up and deactivated.

It will also effect soil pH I assume. Thats higher than optimum at 8 pH, you may consider metering in acid to ph the water.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a reotemp moisture meter, i use it , but I'm still learning to trust it. I still have a constant fear of overwatering (and sometimes underwatering), but I am training myself to only water the plants when they really seem to be drying out. . As the season progresses and they start to fill out the big mounds and drink more it will become less of an issue.

in regards to root rot, One plant in particular has shown the most symptoms, possibly pythium or fusarium. Lots of dead wilted lower branches, and a generally weak/droopy look to the plant. I am hoping the Mycostop will help. The garden is looking great for the most part though

Happy Independence Day! Remember, freedom isn't free.

The garden IS looking great! Excellent work Shrews! Thanks for sharing! Plants are really filling out with lots of branches! Each plant is like a little garden! Looks hot out there, I bet it really gets the plants moving!

Have you tried using bacilius biofungicide products? I just had some issues and applied Revitalize bacilius biofungicide spray, and then I saw it can be used as a drench or roots! On the Anything Outdoor thread, wvkindbud said to try Greencure- potassium bicarbonate.

The garden tone fertilizer I use has bacillius innoulant too! They colonize the roots and prevent disease. I think they help break down organic fertilizers too, but not for sure.

little-soldier

I have a reotemp moisture meter, i use it , but I'm still learning to trust it. I still have a constant fear of overwatering (and sometimes underwatering), but I am training myself to only water the plants when they really seem to be drying out

Really? I always thought these things were fool proof. I guess Im the fool and thats the proof lol. Now that you mention it, I remember rootwise talking about calibrating/tweeking his.Might want to check with him. I would love to get more info on this.

LouDog420

Shcrews, I'm usually a lurker but always enjoy watching you do your thing. It's a thing of beauty and artistry. Good vibes my friends, best for your outdoor seasons!

Edit: Thanks for the cleanup Babba ;)

Last edited: