What's new

Most potent strains

bigherb

Veteran
That's the kind of ethnocentric attitudes you often get from US growers. You know the strains that US West and East coast growers have been working with for decades do not originate in the US. Most of them originates in the Middle East or the Himalayas, or have been brought up from South America. Lots of good work has been done to improve them sure, but it has been done in other places as well. There's great genetics all over the world that never gets hyped up in the US-dominated forums, but they're just as outstanding as the OG Kushes, the Sour Diesels, the GS Cookies or what have you.

The best weed I ever had was sold to me by a 8 year old street vendor in Mysore, India. Outlandish potency, incensed, strong flavor. No Chemdog or Haze could match it. You will probably never hear of it, because no army of adolescents will hype it as the craziest shit they ever smoked in the pot forums. That's how you create a "Chronic", one guy starts using the word, then the parrots do the rest...

Always great to hear your thoughts

What you quoted I wasn't tryin to emphasize . I have great respect an appreciation for the Dutch contributions , I hope I wasn't taken wrong

I wasn't around for the days of the legendary imports but many of these traditional strains which have been maintained for years have intrigued me much more than our modern hybrids . I have a good idea of the history of cannabis in the Americas it's virgin compared to the old world

Thanks for sharing Damn that Mysore sounds special pure Indian above the clouds incense smoke , how I'd love a taste . Africans /Ghanis / Thais are all of great interest to me . As I've mentioned I'm not into the in thing an dont ride hype . I'm most thankful to breeders such as Charlie Garcia n Dubi who are preserving a gems of the old world

Your insight is always appreciated,much respect

IME Frankie's - Nyc Haze / Hashplant / OPK - original purple kush have been the strongest smokes this far

1luvbigherb

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
It's great to have your inputs too bigherb,

The US East and West Coast scene is really where it's happening right now, so I agree with you on that point. It's crazy what good stuff comes out of Cali...

Oh yeah that weed from Mysore, if I had that strain running I would call it Missing Time, because I can't account for 12 hours after I smoked it, ha!

growhi

the funny thing about this is , allot of the most smoked strains in the U.S will be directly from dutch seed lol

i think what this boils down to is a artificial Cali hype train ............. 'he who shouts loudest must be telling the truth'

allot of the American seed sellers are rip off artists , artificially inflated prices for nothing more than decent indica's , sorta plants you could pull out of a 30 dollar Nirvana pack

its a capitalistic feeding frenzy , and anyone with a grow tent is now a cali breeder lol

think sotf .......................... he is/was the personification of it !

but that said be it american or dutch if the genetic seems good and the price is correct ill buy it !

symbiote420

Veteran
the funny thing about this is , allot of the most smoked strains in the U.S will be directly from dutch seed lol
Not true. We've been getting genetics from all over the world for a loooong time ...especially places like C. & S. America ...then there's all the soldiers and travelers who've brought seeds back
i think what this boils down to is a artificial Cali hype train ............. 'he who shouts loudest must be telling the truth'

allot of the American seed sellers are rip off artists This is the pot calling the kettle black, artificially inflated prices for nothing more than decent indica's , sorta plants you could pull out of a 30 dollar Nirvana pack

its a capitalistic feeding frenzy , and anyone with a grow tent is now a cali breeder lol You got me there lol

think sotf .......................... he is/was the personification of it !

but that said be it american or dutch if the genetic seems good and the price is correct ill buy it ! Ditto!

Most of the strains the Dutch were/are selling were and are knock offs to US strains or they were given names of popular US strains just to sell them! Northern Lights, Skunk, Haze, G13, and the Affies ....yeah they all made their way to the Dutch via the USA!! And the Dutch spend way more $$$$ on advertising and making videos than their US counterparts ....I'd roll with word of mouth over an ad 8x:10, that's just me!

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Most of the strains the Dutch were/are selling were and are knock offs to US strains or they were given names of popular US strains just to sell them! Northern Lights, Skunk, Haze, G13, and the Affies ....yeah they all made their way to the Dutch via the USA!! And the Dutch spend way more $$$$ on advertising and making videos than their US counterparts ....I'd roll with word of mouth over an ad 8x:10, that's just me!

tbh its silly to bring national pride into it... the genetics come from landraces in africa, Thailand, etc etc. Its safe to say that weed was firstly being imported from these places throughout the world.
That's where the first bag seeds would have probably come from and consequently lead to home grown and then breeding etc.

no nation can take credit for an affy that was probably from imported weed, then grown in the usa, passed to the dutch and then spread wherever else.
Most places like afghan etc, many already have there own regional varieties that farmers have selected over hundreds of years. some places, true land races don't exist anymore, its already been manipulated somewhere along the line.

I honestly believe that the usa is leading the field atm. im in the uk, we have our crosses and our elites but its still completely illegal here plus we don't have the same kind of communities in the usa. but I definitely think that dispensaries and the whole usa cannabis movement has brought more fantastic genetics to more people. and consequently more has happened in the last 5 years with genetics than ever before. And im not just talking kush/og or whatever.

In contrast to that some of the best weed ive had was old dutch white rhinos and ak47 back in the day etc. I just feel like they sold themselves out, the breeders got greedy and stopped caring about the plants/strains and cashed in.

some still sell ok shit but refuse to be honest about the true parentages and what stock they breed from etc. for example.. shantis white widow aka black widow.. still good. his white rhino? nothing like the original and many turned sativa over the years from an afghani dom plant?
I personally think that there are more worthy people currently working on strains for the right reasons rather than the cash. and even if they are still after the cash, many still put out the fire too.
people need to stop idolising these old guys. they have the knowledge but lack the passion imo.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I dont believe Nevil would be offended ,Nor Shanti we all have our opinions .Nevil obviously agrees as he has been on a quest for the best. which doesnt include those same Old Dutch strains .BUt i do believe Mns should bring some new blood into rotation

The New Kush train is not a ride im buyin a ticket for .IMO its the same thing the dutch did with Sk1/NL/Haze Etc .I think a Great Haze Blows these Kush hybrids out the water .But i agree that many of the Dutch Strain's of Fame from the 90's are not in the same league as what has become

Id do believe that Nevs maple leaf, Hashplant or A5/Ag13 ,G13Nl1 ,GHash Would stack an crush much of what is thought to be Bomb

Much Respect

1luvbigherb

G`day Biggie

Its how it makes folks feel that makes a classic .
I sampled some old school Haze cuts in the Sth Holland region .
Whilst I`ve had as strong or stronger herb back home in Oz . The complexity and length of the ride on the old gear was outstanding .
They have the hybrid effect to the high . ie Relaxed body with a clear mind .
Now when I went to the coffee shops in the Dam they had strong herb . But ... the effect was no where near the same . Much more muddy head and the duration of the high was about a 1/4 -1/8 of the old school cuts . . Tasted lovely , hit like a hammer , closed down my peripheral vision and wore off in an hour ??
I went down to Breda to investigate the Haze in the coffee shops down there, but they told me no Dutch passport , no entry .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

noodles05

I think its fair to say that cannabis strains can vary and change in a very short time, and thats due to instability of phenotypes and growing conditions alone.
With that said, i think its important to have a network of people around the world, constantly sharing the love!

Bongstar420

This is the valid way to map relationships in a population:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/bigphotos/10222901.html

I would never rely on self reporting to determine actual relationships only hypothetical ones. Have you heard most peoples origin stories?

I will bet that most chronic is closely related. This is what happens to any agricultural commodity and is a documented fact. Breeders grow landraces and wild types especially due to the fact that most of the "good stuff" is not genetically diverse. Landraces and wild types suck for production in the vast majority of cases.

A

AlterEgo860

one thing we all need to know is.. terpenes play a bigger role on the type of high we get from these strains then we think.. this is why plants with the same thc and cbd or cbn ratios have different highs..

The Hatter

Veteran
one thing we all need to know is.. terpenes play a bigger role on the type of high we get from these strains then we think.. this is why plants with the same thc and cbd or cbn ratios have different highs..

This is true, terpenes along with the dozens of other less studied cannabiniods that are present in smaller amounts in cannabis likely play a considerable roll in the final effect.

One of the prolbems I find in comparing potency is when trying to compare something like a purely electric 100% african sativa with a knock out herijuana style indica. One is almost like doing a psychedelic stimulant and the other is a bit like taking valium. It's hard for me to quantify the effect of each because they are so different for me.

If I were to measure the potency by how uplifting and euphoric a rush the strain produces then the indica is going to score like 2 and the african sativa like a 9 but if I measure the potency by how sedated, sleepy and stupefying the effect is then the scores will pretty much be reversed.

This is a cool thread and there is a lot of good information here. I just wanted to point out why I think there tends to be so much disagreement between people as to which strains are strong and why. Indicas tend to be short acting and immediately powerfully narcotic and sedating with a lower ceiling where as Sativas tend to be long lasting, more clear headed and uplifting and euphoric with a higher ceiling. Each is potent in their own way.

I'm in the sativa camp so my list of most potent strains are all sativas simply because I consider the primary effects of indicas such as sleepiness and slowing of thought to be negative side effects rather than potency thus my strongest strains list includes stuff like Destroyer, Jack Herer, Panamanian, Old School Haze etc. One of my buddies is an indica lover and his list is full of stuff like Herijuana. He doesn't hate sativas but he always complains they aren't very strong and something is missing.

Discorilla

Take a measure of each. One to ten, on how high or stoned they get you. You don't have to measure them together!

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
nostalgia it's a bad thing...how u can think that the new strain are less potent of the olds??..like for a tomato or a dog bloodline, the selection by human make the difference.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
Nostalgia is a big part of that. I agree. But also people tend to forget that of course they got higher in the 70's then now. They have 40 years of tolerance built up. Its hard to compare strains from such different times in ones life.
I know for me personally I used to get super high/stoned off of a couple hits of stuff that now if I smoked it I wouldnt feel anything no matter how much I smoked.

mukuku

The article said out of 300 entries only 31 had 20% THC or higher and 22 of the 31 had Chem Dawg...

What it does not say, is what are the other strains. I decided to do the work and share it.

The Strains without any Chem Dawg are:
1) Durban Poison
2) G-13 x Widow
3) Golden Goat ( Island Sweet Skunk x Hawaiian x Romulan)
4) Dr. Grinspoon (Heirloom Sativa)
5) Blue Dream (Blueberry Haze)
6) LA Confidential (pressuming the OG La Affie is not a real OG)
7) Diamond Girl’s (Early Pearl x Skunk x Northern Lights)
8) Super Lemon Haze
9) Boost (Sweet Tooth, NL, NorCal Blueberry)
10) Strawberry Cough
11) Cracker Jack (G-13 x Jack Herer)
12) Cactus (Dutch Treat x NL)
13) Cobra (Malawi x NL)
14) Dark Star (Hindu/Afghan)

lot of dutch work isn't it ?

iya ( in your a** ) a hahaha hah ahah

:tiphat:

The Hatter

Veteran
Another good thing to keep in mind when testing potency is that one should bust out a scale and measure out the same amount of weight for the strains they are comparing rather than the usual thing that most of us do which is load a bowl of each and then compare.

A good recent example is when I compared my dense budded Sin Diesel to my extremely wispy and light Panamanian. Before the test I was certain the Sin Diesel was more potent because a bowl of it was definitely way stronger than a bowl of the Panama. Then when I weighed it, I realized that a single bowl of the SD weighed almost 3 times as much as a bowl of Panama. Thus in reality the Sin Diesel wasn't the stronger of the two, I was simply smoking 2 or 3 times as much of it as I was of the Panama. When I did a gram by gram comparison the Panama was definitely the stronger of the two.

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Another good thing to keep in mind when testing potency is that one should bust out a scale and measure out the same amount of weight for the strains they are comparing rather than the usual thing that most of us do which is load a bowl of each and then compare.

A good recent example is when I compared my dense budded Sin Diesel to my extremely wispy and light Panamanian. Before the test I was certain the Sin Diesel was more potent because a bowl of it was definitely way stronger than a bowl of the Panama. Then when I weighed it, I realized that a single bowl of the SD weighed almost 3 times as much as a bowl of Panama. Thus in reality the Sin Diesel wasn't the stronger of the two, I was simply smoking 2 or 3 times as much of it as I was of the Panama. When I did a gram by gram comparison the Panama was definitely the stronger of the two.

yup you definitely need to take the physics of it into account. ive got strains where if you way out an oz it doesn't look much at all, and others which fill up a bag on the same weight. thre more dense ones are generally the more potent but as you say, its most likely because of the density sometimes..

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nostalgia is a big part of that. I agree. But also people tend to forget that of course they got higher in the 70's then now. They have 40 years of tolerance built up. Its hard to compare strains from such different times in ones life.
I know for me personally I used to get super high/stoned off of a couple hits of stuff that now if I smoked it I wouldnt feel anything no matter how much I smoked.

I disagree with that. If you have been smoking steadily for a year much less several years, then your tolerance is set. By the end of the 70's my tolerance was up as much as it would ever get to be.

If you mean that if all you were smoking back then was weak shit so anything decent would blast you, well yeah. I and a lot of others will disagree about all the pot being weaker. Most of it was but not all.

I would happily smoke the better stuff from long ago with no need for more potency.

Latest posts

Latest posts