What's new

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you are going to diagnose mosaic virus before looking for any lockout or standard cannabis pests? I got mcpartlands book right here too, chimera just ripped me for sharing it.

I'd still like to see the soil ph.

I'll stand by grower error with some major deficiencies showing and a good possibly pest related stress on top of that.

I have grown in ocean forest and it has shit in it... not much of anything, it can support a big cannabis plant for a little while out of the bag and the soil ph has been variable in my experience and it also runs hot so I'll stand by user error instead of mcpartlands book referencing the possibility of mosaic virus in hemp.

Also the reference about the 600 bulb refusing to work makes me wonder how old your light and ballast is you are using?
Bad lights can damage plants too.

Id look at a whole host of common shit before id bet my as on tmv...

Chillin420

I will check the ph of the soil, but I was under the impression that the soil ph would be fine due to this being brand new soil. Ill keep you guys posted.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
These days. 99% of what people think is TMV is Broad or Cyclamen mites.

99% of people can find even the very small mites if they really look for them, if they are there.

So you are going to diagnose mosaic virus before looking for any lockout or standard cannabis pests?

I've seen it before, it's a recognizable thing, that's good enough for me. I bet there is a sort of hidden chicken pox on those plants also, on the underside of the leaves, each spot not much wider than a mite, and not discolored at all. Slightly raised, perfectly round, regularly spaced bumps, many to a fan leaf but difficult to see with good magnification unless you're looking for them. Calmag will fix that right up, won't it? What grower error causes that one? What grower error can be transmitted to all your clones from different mothers by dirty scissors regardless of what conditions the clones were planted in? Oh, bacteria, fungus, or bugs then - not fairy tales like mosaic viruses. It's the virus that's not likely, since it's easier to spread and more difficult to eliminate than any organism or bad growing of course.

Why are people who don't believe in mosaic viruses replying to this thread?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
dudes got a sick plants, asked for help and I gave an opinion to help him out thats why.
Your eye is that good you should be a supermod in the infirmary or something,,, but not good enough to see obvious signs of deficiency just target in on the virus... Even if he got the virus its plain to see more goin on there...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Viruses rarely kill Cannabis. They only exist and replicate in living plants. Viruses can, however, seriously reduce yields. Once acquired, they are nearly impossible to eradicate. Viruses invade all parts of plants. Pollen and seed infections transmit viruses to subsequent generations. As well as insects, nematodes, and other pests and tools transmitting the virus amongst the crop.
As for TMV not effecting Cannabis, what can I say?

TMV does effect Cannabis, but many folks may confuse TMV, with TomRSV or TRSV or other viruses. I mean they confuse both the names and symptoms. If the symptoms are even from viruses and not from other causes, and just assumed to be a virus.

Hartowicz et al. (1971) screened 22 common plant viruses for their ability to infect wild hemp. Over half the viruses could infect Cannabis.

Hartowicz, L. E. et al. 1971. Possible biocontrol of wild hemp. North Central Weed Control Conference, Proceedings 26:69.

Kegler H, Spaar D, 1997. Kurzmitteilung zur virusanfalligkeit von Hanfsirten (Cannabis sativa L.)
Archives Phytopathologie & Phalnzenschutz 30:457-464

-SamS

root aphids broad mites and like a million other things.. i still contend that tmv does not even effect cannabis lol..

Chillin420

After inspecting one of the mutated leafs under a 30-60x scope I think I see an egg of what I think is Cyclamen mites. I could only find 1 egg it looks sorta like a milky trichome head, I didnt see anything moving around no matter how hard I looked. I will continue to inspect other leaves to see if I can find anything moving.

Chillin420

All in all though, the plants are looking much better than before. I sprayed them with eagle 20 right before flipping them into flower due to the fact that I already know they have PM, I was told that when I was given the cut, but being that its such I good strain I took it anyway. Either the eagle 20, or the flip, has seemed to help them alot the leaves are nice healthy green and some plants have no mutated leaves at all, a few plants still have 1 or 2 mutated leaves. heres some pics

Attachments

• IMG_1482.jpg
    IMG_1482.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1483.jpg
    IMG_1483.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1484.jpg
    IMG_1484.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 27

Chillin420

Some are the leaves are slightly curling up, but I recognize that to be because of heat, were having a heat wave in my area and the temps have gotten up to 85, im trying my best to combat the heat.

Chillin420

Ive been reading about using 325ml aspirin per gallon to try and boost my plants immune systems and its very interesting. I hear alot of positive feedback about it and im thinking about giving it a shot.

Tom Hill

Veteran
Viruses rarely kill Cannabis. They only exist and replicate in living plants. Viruses can, however, seriously reduce yields. Once acquired, they are nearly impossible to eradicate. Viruses invade all parts of plants. Pollen and seed infections transmit viruses to subsequent generations. As well as insects, nematodes, and other pests and tools transmitting the virus amongst the crop.
As for TMV not effecting Cannabis, what can I say?

TMV does effect Cannabis, but many folks may confuse TMV, with TomRSV or TRSV or other viruses. I mean they confuse both the names and symptoms. If the symptoms are even from viruses and not from other causes, and just assumed to be a virus.

Hartowicz et al. (1971) screened 22 common plant viruses for their ability to infect wild hemp. Over half the viruses could infect Cannabis.

Hartowicz, L. E. et al. 1971. Possible biocontrol of wild hemp. North Central Weed Control Conference, Proceedings 26:69.

Kegler H, Spaar D, 1997. Kurzmitteilung zur virusanfalligkeit von Hanfsirten (Cannabis sativa L.)
Archives Phytopathologie & Phalnzenschutz 30:457-464

-SamS

Have you personally witnessed it Sam and do you feel this is what is affecting these plants often here in question? How about a big hell no on the latter? lol?

As an aside, i have done some research into it and would like to know if beyond the common texts i am sure we are all aware of,, is there any hope beyond ridding in vitro? How about the blanching of seed for example (exposing to high temps breaking down proteins)? and, can we grow our we grow our way out of it in a highly growth inducing environment? Ie, cloning tissue yet to be affected?

but yeah no man,, tell these guys they don't have tmv while you are here also.. lol

Chillin420

Finally! I think I found my problem! Root aphids! I had a runty plant that couldnt keep up with the canopy so I killed it and when I did, I ripped it out of the soil and inspected the hole carefully. Besides gnats I seen little tiny almost microscopic white bugs, they look kinda like white mites. After researching on the internet I recognize these to be root aphids... so that was what was causing my leaf mutations huh? Wow. If anyone wants to chime in and tell me how to get rid of these buggers it would be greatly appreciated. Btw, my crop is in flowering I need a method that will work in flowering.

Scrappy-doo

^^^^ That's the first thing that came to my mind based on the description. Hypoaspis miles is very common. You should confirm you actually have aphids before treating for them.

Mosaic Virus Pictures

Mosaic Virus Pictures

It is funny reading posts about Mosaic Virus in the cannabis forums. There seems to be great information about what it is and what it isn't. Then there is this debate about the existence of the virus in cannabis. Well in my experience yes it does exist. So with that in mind here are some of the best examples of symptoms from my garden. The strain is OG and Sour Diesel.

Attachments

• mosaic virus blisters.jpg
    mosaic virus blisters.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 34
  • mosaic virus curl up.jpg
    mosaic virus curl up.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 36
  • mosaic virus thirsty.jpg
    mosaic virus thirsty.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 31
  • mosaic virus underdeveloped.jpg
    mosaic virus underdeveloped.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 33

Tom Hill

Veteran
We dont need to see plants,, we need to see elisa test results or something or for cried pete.. That somebody somewhere was at some time successful at purposely infecting cannabis with TMV is not quite equally as useless, but of dubious worth indeed.

Lochinvar

We dont need to see plants,, we need to see elisa test results or something or for cried pete.. That somebody somewhere was at some time successful at purposely infecting cannabis with TMV is not quite equally as useless, but of dubious worth indeed.

exactly

Rendar1970

I posted this in my own thread but after 3 weeks still havent gotten any replies, so thought I would try here too.

I have this going on in a few of my plants. Each plant its limited to only 1-2 leaves max. Im very confused as Ive found other images that match almost 100% in 2 different threads. 1 thread says confirmed TMV, the other thread says definitly not TMV, but broad mites. So i have a loupe on the way to confirm if mites, but otherwise im still in the dark.