What's new

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

dnn1

(First off: English is not my first language, so cut me some slack, please.)

I'm not an expert grower by any means, I still consider myself a novice trying to learn, but I've had surprisingly successful grows over the last two years - up to now.

Just a few infos to start with: I'm using a growbox in a well aired room. Room temp is usually around 20-24 °C, humidity inside my growbox is between 40 and 55% all of the time. First I used a 400W bulp for the grow I'm about to describe because my 600W bulp refused to work anymore. I later replaced it and switched to bloom right with it. I control my pH and EC and keep it on 5,5-5,8 all the time. I usually use Canna products to feed my plants, but tried out the entire product line of Innovating Plant Products this time around.

Until now I only raised my plants from seeds. I wanted to try out something new, wanted to learn - so I took 18 cuttings from a friend's plants. This wasn't about raking in a huge harvest, it was more like an experiment for me. As some sort of "control group" regarding the quality of my self-made cuttings I bought a Nebula cutting from one of our biggest, most renowned grow shops. And for the beginning, everything was fine.

A friend of mine who's growing on hydro used his system to get the cuttings to root first, so when I planted them straight into the earth (Plagron growmix) they already had nice, big roots. At first, their growth was slow and a bit disappointing. When they were finally big enough, I changed to a 400W bulp first. When they got big enough, I bought and added the Nebula cutting from the mentioned grow shop. Everything looked great.

But then I started noticing bright, light-green "stripes" and patches on some of the leaves.

At first, I didn't think anything of it. I also only noticed this on 1 or 2 of my plants, so it didn't bother me too much. A small pH mistake, maybe some malnutrition - let's keep an eye on it. Later, more and more plants - across different strains - started showing those symptoms. Then I noticed some of the leaves started to bend and point sideways - which was something I have never ever seen before. Not on my plants in the past, not on any plants of my friends or in any cannabis plant ever for that matter.

The more the plants grew, the more leaves were distorted that way. So last night, I took it to Google and looked around for hours and hours and hours every day - until I stumbled upon TMV. I'm a strong smoker (cigarettes) and - due to space issues - smoke in the room I'm keeping my growbox (but use a piece of thick whool over the air intake to my growbox so not too much nasty stuff - like dust - gets in there). I've never heared of the TMV and, to be honest, reading about it kinda spoiled smoking for me more then any threat of lung cancer ever could... :/ Anyway, some of my friends smoke in their grow rooms as well - the plants could have gotten infected with TMV through the smoke (which is possible, dozens of general gardening, tobacco- and cannabis-related sites claim). Then again, during all of my previous grows, I did the same thing - I had the growbox on exactly the same spot and sometimes even smoked when the box was open while watering the plants - nothing happened then. Maybe one of the cutling's mothers was infected? Maybe the Nebula I bought in the shop infected everything else?

But is this even TMV? Could it be a parasite like broad mites? I ordered a microscope this week so I can check my plants - until then, I won't know for sure. I found strange yellow-whitish "blobs" on three of my plants:

They're not moving or anything, they're just... there and I don't know what they are or where they came from. They don't fit any parasite's description I came across.

Like I said, I'm still not that experienced - I'd be happy if some of the local experts took a look at my pics.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 30
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 32
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 29
Z

zooty

That is not TMV

It's just variegation I have it on some plants it does not affect them in any way at all it's just not very aesthetic

dnn1

I would love this to be true, but I don't think so. Why? Because I used several different cuttings from several different strains from at least 8 different plants from different growers - and all of them show the same symptoms by now (day 11 of flowering).

Here's a list of what I got:

2 x Green House Seeds - Super Silver Haze
3 x HY-PRO Seeds - Amnesia
1 x Paradise Seeds - Nebula
2 x Serious Seeds - AK47
2 x Dutch Passion - Euforia
1 x Green House Seeds - Exodus Cheese
1 x Barneys Farm - L.S.D.
1 x Positronics - Somango #47
1 x Unknown New York City Diesel
3 x Unknown White Widow
1 x Unknown Cheese

(On a side note: Yeah, I know this selection makes absolutely no sense because they all got different flowering times and grow differently, but, like I said, this was supposed to be an experiment for me to learn, not necessarily to rake in a huge harvest. I wanted to harvest them one by one, going by flowering time.)

You see? All of them are from different seed banks, their mothers were grown by different people in different places using different methods, yet all of them got the same symptoms. Looks like a viral infection to me - either that, or a parasite like broad mites. Still waiting for that microscope. Can't think of anything else.

dnn1

Correction: Not 8 different plants. At least 10 (not sure about the second Cheese) of course. Is there no edit option in this forum?

Chillin420

I think I have this. Can someone please confirm from my pics. This is OG Kush I got from northern cali. This is the only one of my strains that do this all grown under the same conditions. The clone I received also came with PM, im not surprised if it has other STD's/Viruses. These plants are grown in Fox Farm Ocean Forest and watered with plain tap water that was bubbled for 4 days and ph'd to 6.5.

attachment.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=329624&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1439996891
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=329625&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1439996891
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=329626&d=1439996891
https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=329627&d=1439996891

donwalter

HOMBRE
Veteran
as it regards yhe posts 725 and 726...
to me also happened to have the same spots ... on a dinachem ... I think are just genetic deformations .... to tell you that no more changes are provocative of any damage .... the affected leaves not dry out .... they only half sheet of clear and variegated leaves some with the tips that turn sideways .... that's it .... are not infectious and are not caused by parasites ... for me nothing worrying ... well ... for what is my experience ... it's just ... discoloration matter of pigments.
he post 721 instead might seem an attack of broadmites ... you checked with a microscope 100x ???...have you whiteflies in the grow room? (Aleuroididi?)

Last edited:

Chillin420

No I have not sprayed with anything or done anything out of the ordinary. I raised the lights from about 1 1/2 feet away to about 2 1/2 feet away and they seem to be doing much better, but still have some deformed leaves, but not as many.

Started a new batch in my other tent and am using low light and instead of plain tap water I added some cal-mag and some alga-mic. We'll see if it helps...

Chillin420

After raising the lights up to about 2 feet above the plants they seem to be doing better but some still have mutated leaves, some dont. Heres some pics...|

This plant seems to be doing fine.
picture.php

This plant is having the weird problem, and its grown under the same exact conditions as the rest. Frustrating to the max...
picture.php

Heres the rest of them, seem to be doing much better than before but some still have the weird leaf problem.
picture.php

Im super frustrated about this because I know this is official OG Kush and it can be BOMB if grown properly and I really want to get it dialed in. I feel like im doing everything right. Im growing in Fox Farm Ocean Forrest, the same soil as the person who gave me the clone and their plants are fine. On these plants I used plain city tap water that was bubbled/dechlorinated for 4 days and then PH'd to a perfect 6.5 using both a perfectly calibrated PH pen AND PH drops to double check. I flipped them into flowering and watered with 1/2 strength cal-mag, bio-grow, bio-bloom, alga-mic, root juice, and top max, and Briar Rabbit unsulphered blackstrap molasses. My temps might be slightly high for such a finnicky strain, but due to it being summer I cant do much about it, my temps range from 79-81 and my other strains are fine with these temps. Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Otto Flour

ICMag Donor
Check for root aphids. They can cause the same leaf issues as cal mag deficiency. Pulling the root ball out of the pot and look for crawlers.

If it is not pests try upping the cal mag to full strength. The guy who started this thread ended up saying he had broad mites, not tmv.

Tom Hill

Veteran
root aphids broad mites and like a million other things.. i still contend that tmv does not even effect cannabis lol..

Tom Hill

Veteran
i feel you chillin,,, but this "I flipped them into flowering and watered with 1/2 strength cal-mag, bio-grow, bio-bloom, alga-mic, root juice, and top max, and Briar Rabbit unsulphered blackstrap molasses." seems a bit ambitious to me par...

Tom Hill

Veteran
99% of these cases come down to either grow room environment,, soil environment, pressure from outside attackers aside from tmv, or any combination of the above being forced on genetics that are fickle as hell to begin with..

G.O. Joe

Veteran
With curl having a yellow margin, mosaic in the mid to upper fans, and raising the lights making a big difference, I'd say absolutely yes this is a mosaic virus. You could do science and grow seeds somewhere else under different conditions and try to infect them.

root aphids broad mites and like a million other things.. i still contend that tmv does not even effect cannabis lol..

Cannabis is supposedly a carrier for the tobacco type but doesn't show it yes, but this is mooted by other possible, capable mosaic viruses.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
eh that variegated type lookin leaf... looks like you have some calcium issue man, calcium is one of the most important elements in plant growth. Also possibly mag, either due to lockout or the plant chugging, some plants even from the same line have high requirements.

Has anyone even confirmed once mosaic virus in cannabis? I think it is highly irresponsible to say absolutely...

Im with tom most of these cases come down to environment issues and soil/grow medium...

Id bet if you gave that plant some high doses of cal mag it would straighten right out.
Ive gone as high as 15 ml per gallon on some plants i really starved and neglected in veg and no adverse affects.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would love this to be true, but I don't think so. Why? Because I used several different cuttings from several different strains from at least 8 different plants from different growers - and all of them show the same symptoms by now (day 11 of flowering).

Here's a list of what I got:

2 x Green House Seeds - Super Silver Haze
3 x HY-PRO Seeds - Amnesia
1 x Paradise Seeds - Nebula
2 x Serious Seeds - AK47
2 x Dutch Passion - Euforia
1 x Green House Seeds - Exodus Cheese
1 x Barneys Farm - L.S.D.
1 x Positronics - Somango #47
1 x Unknown New York City Diesel
3 x Unknown White Widow
1 x Unknown Cheese

(On a side note: Yeah, I know this selection makes absolutely no sense because they all got different flowering times and grow differently, but, like I said, this was supposed to be an experiment for me to learn, not necessarily to rake in a huge harvest. I wanted to harvest them one by one, going by flowering time.)

You see? All of them are from different seed banks, their mothers were grown by different people in different places using different methods, yet all of them got the same symptoms. Looks like a viral infection to me - either that, or a parasite like broad mites. Still waiting for that microscope. Can't think of anything else.

The one thing in common is they are in your grow room and all being cared for by you. Are they all magically suddenly infected with a virus or is it more likely something is off on your environment/techniques.

interesting enough high intensity light can encourage plants to feed harder. I am betting on major calcium deficiency...

G.O. Joe

Veteran

Latest posts

Latest posts