What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

faroutfarms

Thanks Joe. I am coming to a similar conclusion that neg for TMV doesn't mean I'm neg for all Tobamovirus. I tried the Agdia tests earlier today and all 4 tests came back neg. I found a lab that can test for TMV at lower levels and in a more controlled environment. The test is $500(compared to around $70 for test strips) so I am on the fence for the same reasons, will not test for all Tobamovirus. I feel what I need is to get a sample to a plant pathology lab that can view it under a scanning electron microscope. They should be able to see ANY virus attacking cells...right?? I tried Michigan State University and they are sympathetic, but cannot help me for obvious reasons. I was directed to send an email to their plant diagnostic people and am waiting to hear as to whether or not I can send in any non-controversial material for them to test for pathogens; such as medium, sap, or nutrient runoff. I expect a reply next week sometime.

Does anyone here know of a lab in Michigan that will test Medical Marijuana for pathogens? I have called as many labs as I could find with no luck. I found one in South Haven that is geared up for it, however local law enforcement told them they would be arrested for possessing the samples. I am using Applied Analytical in Coopersville MI for tests on sap, fertigation, and medium in hopes of some sort of answer.

Once again any and all input is greatly appreciated!

DONAJTHEIII

Thanks Joe. I am coming to a similar conclusion that neg for TMV doesn't mean I'm neg for all Tobamovirus. I tried the Agdia tests earlier today and all 4 tests came back neg. I found a lab that can test for TMV at lower levels and in a more controlled environment. The test is $500(compared to around $70 for test strips) so I am on the fence for the same reasons, will not test for all Tobamovirus. I feel what I need is to get a sample to a plant pathology lab that can view it under a scanning electron microscope. They should be able to see ANY virus attacking cells...right?? I tried Michigan State University and they are sympathetic, but cannot help me for obvious reasons. I was directed to send an email to their plant diagnostic people and am waiting to hear as to whether or not I can send in any non-controversial material for them to test for pathogens; such as medium, sap, or nutrient runoff. I expect a reply next week sometime.

Does anyone here know of a lab in Michigan that will test Medical Marijuana for pathogens? I have called as many labs as I could find with no luck. I found one in South Haven that is geared up for it, however local law enforcement told them they would be arrested for possessing the samples. I am using Applied Analytical in Coopersville MI for tests on sap, fertigation, and medium in hopes of some sort of answer.

Once again any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Leaf tacoing i see in one of the pictures and yellowing. Im thinking pests like root aphids. How the roots looking ? also would never feed plain water at any point in canna coco besides flush and even then i taylor it down. Im thinking mag/cal deficiency or roots aphids/pest. Highly doubt its a virus in your case :tiphat:

have you scoped leaf under a microscope ?

PS: viruses can be controlled for sure look how far HIV has come. Id try a foliar spray of some quality cal-mag and pop in an un coated aspirin at 325mg/gal

faroutfarms

I never really feed "plain water". The night time feed is well water that is aroun 100ppm ambient and I buffer it up with cal mag to between 350-500ppm. I have scoped thoroughly for pests on leaf surfaces and in the root zone and ruled that out. I did have a very minor bout with spider mites a couple months back, but quickly got it under control. I recently learned that pests will act as a vector in transmitting the virus. This would explain why the symptoms went from less that 10% affectation to over 60% on the rounds that were flowering during the spider mites. I have had spider mites tons of times over the past 15yrs and am confident this is not them. Cal mag deficiency was ruled out do to no rust spotting on the foliage and lower leaves are vibrant and healthy until the plant is so unhealthy they show signs of heat stress toward the end, but always remain green. A foliar feed and nutrient correction would quickly fix most deficiencies and I went down that rabbit whole for over 2 months and things just continued to get worse. Plus nutrient toxicities/deficiencies would exhibit throughout the plant and not take on a mosaic pattern, such as a virus.

The following pic was taken today and shows an uncanny resemblance to pics I've seen of the Sunn Hemp Mosaic Virus(a strain of Tobamovirus).

As always I appreciate the input, kepp 'em comin' folks!

Attachments

• viruspic.jpg
    viruspic.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 32

truck

russet mites or broad mites. There has not been one lab confirmed test of TMV in cannabis yet. I'll believe it when i see the lab results myself.

truck

back off the nitrogen and feed light and start spraying away with your favorite pesticide. I have used organocide successfully at one oz per gallon twice a week until i see things turn around and never stop spraying again. Spray once a week during all phases and find a good plant wash to rinse her with the last week or two. If you see damage spray twice a week tell things normalize. Like i said pull back the nitro tell things look good again. Good luck. I've had to figure this all out on my own too, its scary and frustrating, keep fighting the good fight.

faroutfarms

russet mites or broad mites. There has not been one lab confirmed test of TMV in cannabis yet. I'll believe it when i see the lab results myself.

As stated I have checked for mites on numerous occasion and have only seen spider mites, and for only a short period of time. Maybe the samples I brought to the lab will see something I missed. As far as TMV, I agree. I suspect SHMV(Sunn Hemp Mosaic Virus). None of the pics I find relating to TMV look like my plants, however SHMV looks suspect to me and seeing as it affects hemp it could easily transfer into marijuana.

Should hear from the lab sometime this week, I'll share wahat ever I get back.

truck

have you tried spraying as if you were being attacked by an invader? Try it, you might see some results. May seem counter intuitive, but I went through the exact same thing twice after backing off spraying to every two weeks. Now i spray every week if not twice a week. You may need something like ORGANOCIDE at full strength, or build up to full strength, to knock them down, then you can back off and lessen the concentration of the sprays. But I'm just sharing experience. I grow in a production facility too. Seen my fair share of things that don't look like what the books or other professionals think things are. Mites are generally the root cause of most outbreaks of what looks like PH or nute deficiencies. Or something is living in your soil that shouldn't be there. You can treat the soil with organocide too. I love it because its mainly fish emulsion with some sesame seed oil. My plants seem to love it both as a foliar and drench. Also may want to try adding a enzyme to your water tank or nute rez. Help mitigate anything living and growing where it shouldn't be. I recommend flying skulls Z7, keeps my tank and roots clean. Good luck. I honestly recommend spraying like a mad man tell you can actually confirm its a virus. Been through the pain myself. Not like you can stop a virus anyway. may as well act as if its a problem you can actually solve with proven methods. If not at least you tried instead of sitting on your hands waiting for test results that won't help you cure the issue.

zoo

I never really feed "plain water". The night time feed is well water that is aroun 100ppm ambient and I buffer it up with cal mag to between 350-500ppm. I have scoped thoroughly for pests on leaf surfaces and in the root zone and ruled that out. I did have a very minor bout with spider mites a couple months back, but quickly got it under control. I recently learned that pests will act as a vector in transmitting the virus. This would explain why the symptoms went from less that 10% affectation to over 60% on the rounds that were flowering during the spider mites. I have had spider mites tons of times over the past 15yrs and am confident this is not them. Cal mag deficiency was ruled out do to no rust spotting on the foliage and lower leaves are vibrant and healthy until the plant is so unhealthy they show signs of heat stress toward the end, but always remain green. A foliar feed and nutrient correction would quickly fix most deficiencies and I went down that rabbit whole for over 2 months and things just continued to get worse. Plus nutrient toxicities/deficiencies would exhibit throughout the plant and not take on a mosaic pattern, such as a virus.

The following pic was taken today and shows an uncanny resemblance to pics I've seen of the Sunn Hemp Mosaic Virus(a strain of Tobamovirus).

As always I appreciate the input, kepp 'em comin' folks!

your picture shows variegation not tmv. I've had this before in paradise seeds delahaze. What ganja baba said is correct it's just a genetic trait that some phenos carry.. didn't affect yield of quality for me. The leaf issue can be corrected with proper nutrient ratios

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
From one of the first sets of pictures I saw, I said broad mites. Here is a picture of a confirmed case. I only found one or 2 mites per leaf. They hide, and are extremely small. You need a powerful microscope, and patience to find them.

faroutfarms

I have inspected hundreds of leaves under the microscope and found nothing. I still wasn't convinced so I brought plant matter to the lab and had them look...still nothing! I have ruled pests out as a cause for many reasons.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I have inspected hundreds of leaves under the microscope and found nothing. I still wasn't convinced so I brought plant matter to the lab and had them look...still nothing! I have ruled pests out as a cause for many reasons.

Sorry, did not even look at your leaves, but the ones at beginning of post. Broad mites will make leaves shiny, which yours are not.

There is company called Agdia that sells test kits for TMV. I have some in fridge, since someone got me paranoid about it.

faroutfarms

I ordered the immunostrips from Agdia and all tested neg. As I mentioned, I do not believe it is TMV, but rather another type of Tobamovirus. I have done extensive research and have come to the conclusion that the likelihood of testing for said virus with a reagent type test is fruitless. I have spoken with microbiologists that have told me the only sure way to identify which virus it is would be to find a plant pathologist and have them inspect plant tissue under a scanning electron microscope, and still it would be a tough find.

I have began treating with Physan and am waiting to see any positive results. I attempted to purchase RNA Pro to treat with but it is going on 3 weeks and I'm beginning to think it is not coming. I found a chart on Physan's website that instructs to mix at 15ml/gal to treat infected plants. I have read on here treatment at a significantly lower rate...1ml/gal? Can anyone comment on the discrepancy?

I have also started all new genetics at a new location to swap out my infected grows with. If the symptoms continue my plan is to burn all plants, remove/replace anything I can afford, then hire a professional company to do a complete disinfection of both locations. After all that I will implement a new regimen into my maintenance schedule to limit the chances of this happening again.

faroutfarms

I agree that syptoms mimic pests, however if they are there they must be invisible because neither me nor the lab were able to confirm the presence of pests both on plant tissue or in the media. I did attempt a very heavy pest control regimine with several proven products at the first signs of this without any results, things just continued to get worse. Pests, in my mind are one of the easiest things for an experienced grower to identify, and I can assure you that the issue is not pest related, though I appreciate the input! Thanks

HqFarms

If you do have some sort of mosaic virus it came from pests. Most likely you had or have thrips. They are known to be carriers of the virus.

If it is throughout both grows either your mom's got infected and it spread throughout your grows or it just started at one grow and you aren't taking proper precautions going from grow to grow, transfering the virus that way

HqFarms

Try 250- 500 mg of aspririn per gallon of water or soak some willow leaves in water to drench or foliar your plants. The Salicylic acid in the aspirin and willow leaves help your plants fight off and repair themselves after infection happens. Mosaic virus is possible to beat if you want to keep genetics by doing tissue culture of heating the sample up to around 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Don't quote me on the exact temperature but it is something around there. The heat will act like how our bodies get rid of viruses and it cooks it out of the sample per say.

Loc Dog

Veteran
Wish I had an answer, but would suggest taking a few cuts or young plants, and trying different amounts of Physan spray. I do not know how fast it degrades, and it is not listed for crops, only flowers. I have it just as a hard surface cleaner. You should research the safety of using it on cannabis. If using just to save genetics, and not flower those plants, but only use as mothers, should be safe.

I am no expert, just conveying what I have learned about other pests and illnesses.