What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mosaic Virus in Cannabis pics

tb2121

Your are 100% correct

Your are 100% correct

That isn't TMV or any of the other viruses similar to TMV. What you are seeing is either some form of unstable plant genetics, or a combination of that and also environmental stress from too low of humidity.

We used to grow 70 million lbs per year of hydroponic greenhouse tomatoes - believe me when I say that I've seen about a 1,000 different cases of TMV. This is not it.

Also - in a commercial grow for cannabis - we saw the same thing once and we tested for about 5 different viruses (all negative). We only tested because of dumb posts like this where idiots all said it was TMV.

FYi - we only had a few plants that came off of the same mother that showed these attributes. Which isn't uncommon for unstable genetics - the bottom, middle, top, and even individual branches will all have slightly different genetic code for cannabis. Why we do tissue culture.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
This is optimum temp/humidity ratio for growing -

You want to be in the gold zone. It is VPD chart.

kalopatchkid

Veteran
attachment.php

Attachments

• 6C69A047-CD9C-4B75-A65C-60E1DFF24313.jpg
    6C69A047-CD9C-4B75-A65C-60E1DFF24313.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 40

Halfton

I never really feed "plain water". The night time feed is well water that is aroun 100ppm ambient and I buffer it up with cal mag to between 350-500ppm. I have scoped thoroughly for pests on leaf surfaces and in the root zone and ruled that out. I did have a very minor bout with spider mites a couple months back, but quickly got it under control. I recently learned that pests will act as a vector in transmitting the virus. This would explain why the symptoms went from less that 10% affectation to over 60% on the rounds that were flowering during the spider mites. I have had spider mites tons of times over the past 15yrs and am confident this is not them. Cal mag deficiency was ruled out do to no rust spotting on the foliage and lower leaves are vibrant and healthy until the plant is so unhealthy they show signs of heat stress toward the end, but always remain green. A foliar feed and nutrient correction would quickly fix most deficiencies and I went down that rabbit whole for over 2 months and things just continued to get worse. Plus nutrient toxicities/deficiencies would exhibit throughout the plant and not take on a mosaic pattern, such as a virus.

The following pic was taken today and shows an uncanny resemblance to pics I've seen of the Sunn Hemp Mosaic Virus(a strain of Tobamovirus).

As always I appreciate the input, kepp 'em comin' folks!

100% a streak or mosaic virus , won't effect quality or yield if plants are well taken care of. Had it myself and had a plant pathologist from Oregon state take tissue samples to confirm . All strains of the virus are different just like viruses in people so it could affect different strains differently .

CityOfTrees_420

I think im fckd as well.....

I think im fckd as well.....

Got these blue widows a week ago from censeo clone (however the fck you spell it).. and from day one they showed a weird pattern on the leaves. Thought maybe zinc or iron def, since they were only in cubes. Didnt want to believe it was a virus, since it seems ppl are so adimit that TMV can't infect cannabis, i call your findings/research bullshit!! It sure as shit can!! No insects, checked with 100x scope on many leaves. And for a week now it has progressed to other plants. Here are a few pictures.. any feed back would be nice, wether to confirm or give your reasoning as to why TMV cannot infect cannabis.

- CityOfTrees_420

Attachments

• IMG_2834.jpg
    IMG_2834.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2836.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 44

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Got these blue widows a week ago from censeo clone (however the fck you spell it).. and from day one they showed a weird pattern on the leaves. Thought maybe zinc or iron def, since they were only in cubes. Didnt want to believe it was a virus, since it seems ppl are so adimit that TMV can't infect cannabis, i call your findings/research bullshit!! It sure as shit can!! No insects, checked with 100x scope on many leaves. And for a week now it has progressed to other plants. Here are a few pictures.. any feed back would be nice, wether to confirm or give your reasoning as to why TMV cannot infect cannabis.

- CityOfTrees_420
Bystokes reported no significant effects from the TMV other than being more susceptible to stress and slightly lower yield. Plants still look good in flower.

CityOfTrees_420

Yea those dont look to bad.. can kinda see buds struggling a little, but frosty!! Just trash those 18😔.. Bleached down tent, fans, tray is sitting in a tub filled with bleach and hot water lol. I just cant have that virus contamiating everything it touches.

I'll keep check'n in to see whats good. Might start a thread tomorrow for the new babairs going in.

mrthoopai

TMV ? I guess not

TMV ? I guess not

thought this was TMV but test strips show it not

Attachments

• IMG_1549.jpg
    IMG_1549.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 110

Loc Dog

Veteran

mrthoopai

you think maybe broad mites waiting for microscope i will check.every plant that came out of turbo kloner had that symptom about 70 plants. gsc bounced back pretty good but the gg4 still shows signs. gave everyone a aspirin feed and foiler. I'm still kinda of tripping. i won't take clones off this batch.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 41

Loc Dog

Veteran
you think maybe broad mites waiting for microscope i will check.every plant that came out of turbo kloner had that symptom about 70 plants. gsc bounced back pretty good but the gg4 still shows signs. gave everyone a aspirin feed and foiler. I'm still kinda of tripping. i won't take clones off this batch.

Did the water in the cloner go bad??? The temp should not go above 72F and light should not get at the water. With broad mites, the plants would not be getting better. Russett mites are not quite as bad. The broad mites poison the plants, and the eggs are embedded in the leaves.

hellfire

I think what people are dealing with is either hop latent virus or Sunn-hemp virus. Sunn-hemp virus does infect cannabis and there is some literature on hop latent virus with hemp being used as a host for it.

Hemp (Cannabis sativa) was found to be a useful propagation host for hop latent virus, a carlavirus. However, when virus preparations were analysed by electron microscopy, along with the expected filamentous particles, spherical particles with a diameter of around 34 nm were found. RNA from virus preparations was purified, and cDNA was prepared and cloned. Sequence information was used to search databases, and the greatest similarity was found with Primula malacoides virus 1, a putative new member of the genus Partitivirus. The full sequences of RNA 1 and RNA 2 of this new hemp cryptic virus were obtained.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22075921

This isn't enough to be conclusive for HpLV infecting cannabis plants in the wild. But if anyone has the need for some serious testing
http://www.agdia.com/testing-services/PCR-Group-Test-Specificity.cfm

This place does Sunn-hemp, TMV, and HpLV.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I think what people are dealing with is either hop latent virus or Sunn-hemp virus. Sunn-hemp virus does infect cannabis and there is some literature on hop latent virus with hemp being used as a host for it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22075921

This isn't enough to be conclusive for HpLV infecting cannabis plants in the wild. But if anyone has the need for some serious testing
https://www.agdia.com/testing-services/PCR-Group-Test-Specificity.cfm

This place does Sunn-hemp, TMV, and HpLV.

Do you have any pictures of its effects on cannabis?

hellfire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hemp_diseases#Viral_diseases

Alfalfa mosaic & Lucerne mosaic genus Alfamovirus, Alfalfa mosaic virus (AMV) Arabis mosaic genus Nepovirus, Arabis mosaic virus (ArMV) Cucumber mosaic genus Cucumovirus, Cucumber mosaic virus (CMV) Hemp mosaic genus Tobamovirus, Sunn-hemp mosaic virus Hemp streak genus ?, Hemp streak virus Transmitted by thrips, most likely a Tospovirus
These are all the viruses listed as infecting cannabis. I can't find many up of cannabis/hemp in general. I don't know if the study I linked in the last post includes pictures, it is very short so maybe not. It is in a private journal.

This is cucumber mosaic.
CMVCd.jpg

CMV:
Symptoms. Tomatoes infected with CMV are often stunted and bushy (with shortened internodes) and may have distorted and malformed leaves. Leaves may appear mottled (an intermingling of dark green, light green, and yellow tissue), a symptom similar to those caused by other viruses. The most
characteristic symptom of CMV is extreme filiformity, or shoestringing, of leaf blades. CMV symptoms can be transitory; that is, the lower or upper leaves show symptoms while those in the midsection of the plant appear normal. Effect of CMV on yield depends on a number of factors, including plant age when infected and environmental conditions.Severely affected plants produce few fruit, which are usually small.

This is alfalfa mosaic, alfalfa is one of the top 5 crops in the USA.
Alfalfa_mosaic_virus.jpg

mrthoopai

Just checked under microscope no bugs. Still got some new growth thats affected but i'll thrive on and put those bitches under flower after i pull. Email agdia to see if they can test hemp . they don't test they only sell test strips. I would pay just to find out. won't be taking any clones off of them. they been going for 3 years :cry: . so how many virus or disease can affect mj? tomatoes have a shit load of them.

Attachments

• IMG_1553.jpg
    IMG_1553.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1554.jpg
    IMG_1554.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg