What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Monsanto's Roundup disaster

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
You guys have it all backwards... you suck Satan's cock and you can have all the food you want for little trouble and less money.

Before you know it we'll be living the life and all those dumbasses that think old ways are tried and true will be starving.

We are in a brave new world.

:jerkit:

grapeman

Veteran
If we made it better it wouldn't be cheaper.

It matters where your food comes from... whether or not you know it.

Cheaper is better to many. That's why Walmart stomped all over little towns across the country.

Reasoning, or lack thereof, and our decisions are up to us.

The truth of the matter is that Wal-Mart buys product from us every year. They pay a bit more for better quality and are good retailers, as they end up selling fruit for the same price or less per lb. as their competition, yet they pay us (the farmer) a bit more per lb.

They obviously are more efficient then most of their competition.

I don't see them as evil.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I know you don't see them as evil.

If you look back at my posts in this thread I think you'll see I understand your position.

I just don't agree with it.

:moon:

C

chefro420

The truth of the matter is that Wal-Mart buys product from us every year. They pay a bit more for better quality and are good retailers, as they end up selling fruit for the same price or less per lb. as their competition, yet they pay us (the farmer) a bit more per lb.

They obviously are more efficient then most of their competition.

I don't see them as evil.

Until walmart can find a cheaper source from china

Ciarán

lets try to get back to agriculture a bit.. Its estimated that an average vegan adult can produce enough food survive off 1 acre of land per year, weather permitting, like here in parts of CA. And the average meat eater, 5 acres of land for 1 person per year. Hey mustard unless you have that, and you provide it for yourself, you suck on satans fat cock too. You're a dreamer and your not the only one. Lets all keep in mind what was mentioned earlier..population....exponentially rising....necessities (land, water, petroleum).....exponentially shrinking. The only thing that has saved humanity from extinction thus far is intellegence and it seems to me like that's running out too.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lets try to get back to agriculture a bit.. Its estimated that an average vegan adult can produce enough food survive off 1 acre of land per year, weather permitting, like here in parts of CA. And the average meat eater, 5 acres of land for 1 person per year. Hey mustard unless you have that, and you provide it for yourself, you suck on satans fat cock too. You're a dreamer and your not the only one. Lets all keep in mind what was mentioned earlier..population....exponentially rising....necessities (land, water, petroleum).....exponentially shrinking. The only thing that has saved humanity from extinction thus far is intellegence and it seems to me like that's running out too.

As far as the acre goes. in many climates that is more than enough to feed a family of 5. In the area I just moved to, you can fatten 2 calves per acre. I fed a family of 4 (at least the meat) for around a year on half a steer.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
ok, people who claim that 1 calorie is the same whatever is its source, are simply freely exposing their deep ignorance.

1 calorie provided by refined sugar will NOT be metabolised the same as 1 calorie comming from a quality source of fat, lets say good quality butter cream, or hazelnuts.

metabolisation of quality calories is the name of the game, period.

plus, you can grow organically and yield and match any other method of growing, it may be a little more work, but again, in organic grows, there are less free radicals to be found in the end product as compared to harvests reached using feeding methods that introduce a shit ton of free-radical producing-agents into the produce.

even using organics, one has to be careful on what one is using, or one may be introducing elements that when metabolise, produce free-radicals, so one has to be even more careful when using synthetic materials when growing.

it baffles me that so-called "professional" farmers do not know these facts.

don't you get tested about your knowledge before you are allowed to grow crops?

wtf is up with that...

no knolwedge? umm sorry, no liscense to grow anything...

that's how it should be at least.

Ciarán

so one acre can support a family of five in many climate zones eh.. show me who does it and how and I'll maybe i'll believe you. As for your consumption, i commend you but I gotta add that your eating habits are probably far from what is considered "average" for an American.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well the big problem with growing self sustaining foods is the preservative part of it. I can grow 100 pounds of potatoes in a 9 square foot area but 4 to 5 feet tall using tires or boards, etc. An acre is around 43,000 square feet. Whether I can get those potatoes to keep until next harvest is another story. I like home canned food but they say canning robs nutrients. I seemed to function okay the winter I survived on canned stew and peaches but did not do any nutrient analysis. Anyway, if you believe that you can survive on canned foods for 6 months of the year, then feeding a family of 5 on 1 acre is easy. Just think of, besides the potatoes I mentioned, things that can be preserved include beans, peas, corn, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, beets, squash, onions, garlic, mushrooms, chicken, ducks, turkeys, geese, maybe fish [but fish is a space hog] eggs berries and maybe fruit if allowed by climate. My favorite way to preserve this stuff would be in home canned stews and dried assuming that freezing is cost prohibitive. One thing about fowl is that they don't need preserving unless you need to stop feeding them. You can kill and eat them whenever. A goat could be fed on much of the crop residue or one could get grass elsewhere but that may be cheating because it is not on the acre. Good thing having the family of 5 to help with all the work. Once summer rolls around there's fresh stuff again like lettuce, kale and spinach, etc. I'm pretty sure Grapeman will tell us that one acre (especially of good soil) will grow enough food to feed a family of 5 relatively easily. He's a country boy. Hey Jay, how big is your garden if you scrunch it into square feet.

I'm reduced to 1.5 acres now from 100 but there is still plenty of room besides my house to grow enough of everything listed to support 2 of me...sorry no data, just observation.

Ciarán

So you provided food for yourself and your four family members for the whole winter off of 1.5 acres, or were you by yourself? One person for 1.5 acres per year sounds about right. And soup and peaches? Bro I live in the urban feed lot of Los Angeles, so for me and the other 300 million + people that live in this city, who have access to whatever type of food desired, any time of year, have to laugh when people choose to struggle for the archaic ideal of self sustainability. Don't get me wrong, i'd love it if we could all sit around the camp fire and sing kumbaya as we eat the food that was grown on our own land but that just isnt a reality of the majority of the world population who, live in urban feedlots like I do. I don't complain and am infact thankful, I'm about to go out with this super hottie I just met and get some sushi, or maybe we'll do italian, or hey maybe mexican sounds good.. man I love being a human living in a consumer society.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So you provided food for yourself and your four family members for the whole winter off of 1.5 acres, or were you by yourself? One person for 1.5 acres per year sounds about right. And soup and peaches? Bro I live in the urban feed lot of Los Angeles, so for me and the other 300 million + people that live in this city, who have access to whatever type of food desired, any time of year, have to laugh when people choose to struggle for the archaic ideal of self sustainability. Don't get me wrong, i'd love it if we could all sit around the camp fire and sing kumbaya as we eat the food that was grown on our own land but that just isnt a reality of the majority of the world population who, live in urban feedlots like I do. I don't complain and am infact thankful, I'm about to go out with this super hottie I just met and get some sushi, or maybe we'll do italian, or hey maybe mexican sounds good.. man I love being a human living in a consumer society.

reread

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

On the flip side, this is typical of people who live in the city and have no idea what it takes to grow food. Find a community garden. They are thriving in your locale.

grapeman

Veteran
ok, people who claim that 1 calorie is the same whatever is its source, are simply freely exposing their deep ignorance.

1 calorie provided by refined sugar will NOT be metabolised the same as 1 calorie comming from a quality source of fat, lets say good quality butter cream, or hazelnuts.

metabolisation of quality calories is the name of the game, period.

plus, you can grow organically and yield and match any other method of growing, it may be a little more work, but again, in organic grows, there are less free radicals to be found in the end product as compared to harvests reached using feeding methods that introduce a shit ton of free-radical producing-agents into the produce.

even using organics, one has to be careful on what one is using, or one may be introducing elements that when metabolise, produce free-radicals, so one has to be even more careful when using synthetic materials when growing.

it baffles me that so-called "professional" farmers do not know these facts.

don't you get tested about your knowledge before you are allowed to grow crops?

wtf is up with that...

no knolwedge? umm sorry, no liscense to grow anything...

that's how it should be at least.

Well you simply just don't have an affinity for facts.

A college professor just completed a study wherein he ate nothing but twinkies, expecting to gain nothing but fat. But after 45 days of monitoring his caloric intake of twinkies, he lost 27 lbs. and his cholesterol was brought into balance and had a complete physical and was in top shape. He set out to prove calories from fat or processed food were bad and he was forced to write the opposite in the conclusion of his study.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyl...rofessor_drops_27_pounds_on_twinkie_diet.html

But this farmer knows better then you that organically grown fruits and vegetables are NO fucking better for you then the ones you stuff your face with from the corner market.

Like global warming, it's just a religion with No basis in fact. But if it makes you feel like you feel better for psychological reasons, then eat organic.

Last edited:

Ciarán

@ microbeman, unfortunately I feel that I know more about the current food production system than you do because I receive audio gold from professors who have their masters degrees in subjects like agronomy, plant breeding, and sustainable agriculture, all of whom base their curriculum around rich suburban kids who don’t know didly about agriculture. I was born neither rich or in the city, and have hippy parents that grow a backyard full of fruits veggies and ganja. I was like you years ago when I didn’t know what I know now, going to farmers markets thinking I could actually make a difference by eating “local”. Pipe dreams. And to be realistic, the “flip side” is that you have the typical outlook of someone who thinks they live sustainably, and think everyone can do the same. Neither is true because you are a human, and we are the only thing on this planet that lives beyond its capacity to do so. Oh and I buy my groceries at the farm store on my campus, where most of the produce is local, a lot more local that what all the hipsters at farmers markets think they’re getting. I can pick it. Yeah, I pay out the ass for my 6 dollar half gallons of ridiculously delicious orange juice and about 30 for a primo grass fed tri tip, but I’m fine with it because I live in a state where my tuition is covered and I’m paid to be a full time student. Who said the Man was such a bad guy and who said Cali is in debt? Imo, most people just don’t take advantage of the system in place and choose to live in the herd, while supporting the corporations that terrify them. hahah man I’m baked and ranting. No disrespect here fellas, I admire your optimism, but it is futile.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
Well you simply just don't have an affinity for facts.

A college professor just completed a study wherein he ate nothing but twinkies, expecting to gain nothing but fat. But after 45 days of monitoring his caloric intake of twinkies, he lost 27 lbs. and his cholesterol was brought into balance and had a complete physical and was in top shape. He set out to prove calories from fat or processed food were bad and he was forced to write the opposite in the conclusion of his study.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyl...rofessor_drops_27_pounds_on_twinkie_diet.html

But this farmer knows better then you that organically grown fruits and vegetables are NO fucking better for you then the ones you stuff your face with from the corner market.

Like global warming, it's just a religion with No basis in fact. But if it makes you feel like you feel better for psychological reasons, then eat organic.

you mean, a hack-college-professor did a "study"...

this is chemistry 101, you eat refined sugars, and your pancreas takes a hit; you eat fats, and this is metabolised through the liver.

two different things producing different ways to take advantage of whatever nutrients are available to feed cells.

good fats do not result in free-radical release from cells, while refined sugars do.

no matter what your internet-published "study" says.

bottom-line, I will stop replying to you because it is obvious you are an ignoramus.

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is the fudged view of the UK government , sitting on the fence as usual.

Is organic food and milk more nutritious?

Consumers may choose to buy organic fruit, vegetables and meat because they believe them to be more nutritious than other food. However, the balance of current scientific evidence does not support this view.

Nutrient levels in food vary depending on many different factors. These include freshness, storage conditions, crop variety, soil conditions, weather conditions and how animals are fed. All crops and animals therefore vary in nutrient level to some extent. The available evidence shows that the nutrient levels and the degree of variation are similar in food produced by both organic and conventional agriculture. All processed food, including organic, has a nutrient content that is dependent on the nutrient content of ingoing ingredients, recipe and cooking methods. The impact of processing on nutrient levels will be the same for products made from organically and conventionally produced ingredients.

Isn't there evidence that organic food is safer and more nutritious?

It is true that some scientific papers reach this conclusion. However, others find no difference. As in any field of science, to reach a robust conclusion it is necessary to evaluate the weight of evidence across a range of published papers. Care should be taken over reliance on single papers.

The Agency maintains a close watch on scientific papers that evaluate organic food and will continue to assess new research as it is published.

grapeman

Veteran
Who said the Man was such a bad guy and who said Cali is in debt? Imo, most people just don’t take advantage of the system in place and choose to live in the herd, while supporting the corporations that terrify them. hahah man I’m baked and ranting. No disrespect here fellas, I admire your optimism, but it is futile.

Taking advantage of the system is why Cali is bankrupt.

Not only do we have citizens doing so, we have millions of non-citizens doing so also.

And the craziest fucking thing I've seen yet is that you go to fucking college on my tax dime but you have the funds to pay $30 for a $8 dollar piece of meat?

You are a leach on society and it is a waste of tax dollars offering you an education. Pathetic

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Who said the Man was such a bad guy and who said Cali is in debt? Imo, most people just don’t take advantage of the system in place and choose to live in the herd, while supporting the corporations that terrify them. hahah man I’m baked and ranting. No disrespect here fellas, I admire your optimism, but it is futile.

I would say you've already "accepted" your "truths".

I know better.... but then again, so do you.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Taking advantage of the system is why Cali is bankrupt.

Not only do we have citizens doing so, we have millions of non-citizens doing so also.

And the craziest fucking thing I've seen yet is that you go to fucking college on my tax dime but you have the funds to pay $30 for a $8 dollar piece of meat?

You are a leach on society and it is a waste of tax dollars offering you an education. Pathetic

Bra the USA is totally bankrupt from the WAR all thier WAR's ,War on Drugs/ Waring with other nations.. It cost the US 10 billion a month to go to war in the East. That is just one of their millitary bases lol.. The next thing they did was let the foxes in the hen house and thats the bankers bullshit.Your immigrant problem is nothing compared to this shit. It's just ppl trying to blame others for their fucking mistakes.. peace out Headband707:comfort: