What's new

Molasses ~ When & Why ?

jawnroot

This question was asked early on, and didn't receive a direct answer: Can one use molasses with a "chemical" (inorganic) fertilizer program, and reap the same benefits?

I'm assuming the consensus is molasses during the last few weeks of flowering? Is there any clear flush at all, or molasses right up until the end?

FarmerGreen

Wildlifer69 said:
Thier in Veg at the moment ~
Using Molasses along with my other Nutes at this time (Foliar feeding too)
As others have posted the plants are developing a "Shine" to the leaves~very Pretty :dance:

Try It You'll Like It !

only had the chance to water once since posting and they're definitely loving it. Its a good thing to cos they were looking pretty lackluster and I had no idea why.

Funny thing is I've been giving myself a teaspoon of molasses every morning for years and never thought of putting it on the plants!

inflorescence

Veteran
I got mine at whole foods ( 2 years ago, don't know if they still carry it)

Shit looks dope.

foodchart.php

Last edited:
Are you guys giving mollasses to plants during Vegging? I know flowering yes, but what about veggging? I'm just tryin to get ideas. I got 4 in veg right now and don't know if I should give them it...Thanks!!....Wedgey

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you are feeding nutrients to the plant, you should be using molasses. IMO, it's greatest asset is as a chelating agent, which helps the plant uptake the nutrients. The plant also needs cal, mag, K, and carbs during veg stages as well as during flower.

Beneficials are also fed by the substance, so why not feed it throughout the grow?

After reading the thread I have decided to go get some Blackstrap molasses now...before I make up a new nutrient solution for my girl.

Will this stuff allow me to cut back or cut out my use of the Grow and Micro nutes? I'm currently using RO water and have no Cal-Mag so I have still been using those to keep her healthy although now I have some ridiculous leaf growth on some buds...

...which I am trying to cut down on so the plant can focus more on the flowers. I heard you need to cut back or take N out of the solution completely to do that.

P

patternagainst

I'd like to hear an answer here:

Are you feeding with only molasses and water for the last 2-3 weeks until harvest?

OR

Are you feeding with molasses through flowering and feeding nothing but water for the last 2-3 weeks?

Thanks.

P

patternagainst

bump bump :)

i've read the 3LB article and many other articles about molasses but none seem to be answering that question. Some say they swear by flushing last 2-3 weeks with molasses, others say it leaves a distinguishable taste (and not a good one) in the buds when they do that...

buttyrekka

i'm growing in compost,i feed with an organic soup when needed+molasses(always) as they enter 12/12...when trichomes are 60/40 clear/cloudy i flush with twice the volume of water(to wash away salts/sodium)...
i then water(with molasses) for the rest of the plants life(usually at least a couple of weeks)... :rasta:
i mixed molasses with miracle grow ferts when i started growing so you can mix ferts with sugar supplements with no probs.once you taste the difference you will never stop using molasses!!!..on a side note it was my mum who told me about molasses(she was adviseing me on my strawberrys and tomatoes!hehe!!! :rasta: )
i havent noticed a molasses taste on the contrary the weed taste are just amplified(smelt now STINKS,was cheesey now 6 YEAR OLD STILTON!!,was :nono: now :jump: )really is essential(just like a good cure):rasta:
it also acts like a semi fertilizer has lots of good things in it!!! :rasta:

Last edited:
Wedge Antilles said:
Are you guys giving mollasses to plants during Vegging? I know flowering yes, but what about veggging? I'm just tryin to get ideas. I got 4 in veg right now and don't know if I should give them it...Thanks!!....Wedgey

If your are in soil yes i would use them in vegg, but if your in hydro just becareful when u use them sometimes they can start to smell after a while when they sit in water.

Dozee

any thoughts on adding benefical bacteria to the mix in hydro?
using mollassis and bacteria i have had exelent results. but i havent been imperical enough with it to confirm it scientificly.

CDM

I dont do Hydro, but when I let molasses sit with water for more than 24 hours its stinks like crazy! I use it all that day and dump out any leftovers...

Im not sure I would want it sitting around any more than that.

melvin2

CDM said:
I dont do Hydro, but when I let molasses sit with water for more than 24 hours its stinks like crazy! I use it all that day and dump out any leftovers...

Im not sure I would want it sitting around any more than that.

Is the smell from the bacteria waste? If so, are those bacteria good for MJ plants? I have some molasses in watter sitting for a couple days, considering whether or not to use it.

I have Plantation blackstrap and Grandma's unsulphured. On the back of the Grandma's bottle it lists 2% Mg unlike the pic earlier in the thread. I like grandma's for my seedling peat mix.

4448gmasmlss-med.jpg

Last edited:
So am I reading this right.......I can throw away my cal-mag or use it till its gone and then just use molasses instead? Thanks for any help.

maryj315

I found mine at a local nursery got a way better deal they even sell it by the gallon and it is called horticulture molasses

Mj

wassup

Is it ok to give molasses for the last 2 weeks of flowering or you guys only use water for the final 2 weeks?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think it does much during flush.
Although if you are using blackstrap, it is still providing essentials that won't effect taste of the final bud, so it couldn't hurt.

btw...welcome to icmag

Latest posts

Latest posts