What's new

Molasses ~ When & Why ?

F

ForbiddenFruit

I'm curious if molasses has any application in a soiless garden that uses promix and GenHydro nutes?

Or is it mainly used in organic gardening?

isit4.20yet

One side note on molasses. I mixed up a couple gallons of nutes with molasses for my small closet sog grow and the unused mixture began to ferment in a few days. I'd recommend mixing only as much as you need at a time because of that.

Hey, this thread is chock full-o-information! Can I use blackstrap molasses in my coco grow? I ask because I know coco often needs some cal/mag. I grow in pots with a mix of coco, perlite, and vermiculite (50% - 35% - 15%), and I intend on using EJ Grow, Bloom, and Catalyst. Thanks! :pimp3:

IntotheGreen

sick thread - i have heard about adding molasses before but this thread sold me! i got myself some organic blackstrap (stuff has a SHITLOAD of potassium, 730mg, could it be too much?) and added one tsp/gallon for my watering last night. probably too soon to judge any effects but they look pretty happy today.

isit4.20yet

I've been throwing a teaspoon per gallon of Grandma's in my grows most of the time. It's ok even when you're flushing. The chelating action seems to help reduce nutrient lockout in hard water. Anyways, I'm buying a pH pen and a water demineralizer after the holidays.

spangles

I'm sold...I been having many problems since I moved...I had to scuttle the last (first) grow but I saved clones and they are in 12/12 since yesterday. A couple days ago I got some "Grandma's" molasses and I added around 6 oz straighjt into the 25 gal res. They show no signs of distress, in fact they look great...even though the dam ph has sunk ridiculously low (4.5. around 500 ppm (Nirvana Durban Poison) after about 3 1/2 weeks of veg. So far so good, I'll post later on progress of these 3 clones. Thanks for a great thread. BTW I looked at the list of nutrients and I realize the K lists 130 mg per ounce, ...they mention Calcium and Iron but only as A % OF MDAR PER SERVING. Since I don't recall what the daily requirements of Ca and Fe are, I don't know the mgs. Also at the grocery store today they had another version of Grandma's whose %'s were slightly different, AND they listed Mag as well...BUT the version of Grandma's was NOT blackstrap, OR any other noticable distinction... WTF?

spangles

:rasta: I'm sold...I been having many problems since I moved...I had to scuttle the last (first) grow but I saved clones and they are in 12/12 since yesterday. A couple days ago I got some "Grandma's" molasses and I added around 6 oz straighjt into the 25 gal res. They show no signs of distress, in fact they look great...even though the dam ph has sunk ridiculously low (4.5. around 500 ppm (Nirvana Durban Poison) after about 3 1/2 weeks of veg. So far so good, I'll post later on progress of these 3 clones. Thanks for a great thread. BTW I looked at the list of nutrients and I realize the K lists 130 mg per ounce, ...they mention Calcium and Iron but only as A % OF MDAR PER SERVING. Since I don't recall what the daily requirements of Ca and Fe are, I don't know the mgs. Also at the grocery store today they had another version of Grandma's whose %'s were slightly different, AND they listed Mag as well...BUT the version of Grandma's was NOT blackstrap, OR any other noticable distinction... WTF? PS I just looked in the res and there's BUBBLES, I tasted them and just a tad salty, maybe fermentation? PS I just lifted the cover on the res and there's BUBBLES, I tasted them, look like pond scum (frogshit) , It tastes a tad salty, also these nutes were mixed 2 months ago and stored after the last fiasco, these SAT'S are LIGHT FEEDERS! and the pH goes down and the ppm's go down too FreezerBoy this is a mystery, I'll say again though that they look great, growing (stretching) nicely, good strong stems and very nice green leaves etc. Oh well I'll recalibrate the meter later but so far so good.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
spangles said:
A couple days ago I got some "Grandma's" molasses and I added around 6 oz straighjt into the 25 gal res.

Ack....... good luck with that.
I'm hoping I'm wrong but I predict problems with that much just tossed in.

If you have any issues waiting to happen on the algae/microbe front you've just dumped a huge load of food in there for them.

Please post next week that I was wrong. :)

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A teaspoon is .166 ounces.
At a rate of 1 tsp/gal, a 25gal res. should see a dump of 4.15 ounces.

But I would not dump any into a res that wasn't temp controlled. Like hydro stated, you have dumped a good bit of food for bacteria in there.
I'd change out the res now, if it were me. Or get the water controlled to less than ~65degF.

spangles

Hoosierdaddy, I promised to update my molasses experiment, it's only been a few days, but after your response I replaced 5 gals each day of the 25 gal res with a nute solution minus molasses. This reduced the "foaming" and prevented a foul odor from progressing, the pH is shifting upwards now and the plants still look great. I recommend molasses at smaller dosage and I would like to try some dextrose as referenced in another molasses thread. Thanks for your help.

RediJedi

Has anyone tried a product called Sucanat? I believe it is dehydrated sugar cane juice. Heard it might bulk up the buds.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blackstrap is as common as any other cut of molasses in most grocery stores.
Other molasses cuts have fewer nutrients in them. The sugars that blackstrap provides is more usable than that of other cuts as well.

bostrom155

Ive checked everywhere as far as Winn Dixie, publix and food lion..Grandmas is it..shoutld we add more of the grandmas or still use till I find Black strap

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grandmas makes blackstrap too. Ask the manager to carry it. Your grandma won't settle for anything less in her cookies. Groceries can also get Brer Rabbit brand easily.

Winn/Dixie? They have been out of business for years.

B

bagseed77

try the piggly wiggly, or the a and p, i used maple syrup with success

leaddraft

Hopeless One said:
Will any molassis work in case I cant find blackstrap, or is that a popular brand that most if not all grocery stores carry?
I started using "GrandMa's",, NOT the blackstrap,,,
YES it WILL work you'l notice the "difference" in your plants growth in about 3 days, along with a "nicer" smell=DANK....
ie: they'll get "shiny" green too.... :rasta:

Latest posts

Latest posts