What's new

MLB 2014 BASEBALL SEASON!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coconutz

Veteran
I think its funny how yank fans think mantle was a god and cant stand aroid.
Anyone remember the 61 season?
Its likely that was not the only time mantle experimented with drugs.
Even Aaron took amphetamines when he got injured. Could he have reached those numbers without the drugs?
Look at the dip in production in the middle of Mantles career and then his return to superstar at the end.

Mantle is a good example of the hubris and hypocrisy of the BBWAA voters in this regard. Out of baseball for a year in 1961, former Yankees manager Casey Stengel published his autobiography. In it, Stengel named two personal all-star teams. One was of Yankees he had managed, the other a more comprehensive list of players he had played or managed against and considered the best of his time, an almost-continuous stretch of nearly 50 years at that point. Stengel's best player, Mantle, made the former list, but not the latter. Stengel listed six outfielders on his American League 1912-60 team, including three center fielders -- Ty Cobb, Tris Speaker, and Joe DiMaggio. Mantle, who had done things like win a triple crown for the old man, did not merit even an honorable mention.
Casey Stengel and Mickey Mantle (Getty Images)
At the time, this was seen as an inexplicably callous gesture, but it was consistent with a stance Stengel had taken for a few years. As early as 1954 he had called Mantle out publicly for dogging it in the field and on the bases. In 1958, he had taken an earlier crack at a Yankee all-star team and left Mantle off altogether. Hank Bauer asked Stengel how the manager could have named him ahead of Mantle. Stengel's answer: "You gave 110 percent every time you were in the lineup."
How could any manager express disappointment -- and that was what Stengel was implicitly doing -- with a player who often played hurt, who played his entire career (as we now know thanks to Jane Leavy) without an anterior cruciate ligament in one knee, and who nonetheless was a two-time MVP in the Stengel years, with batting averages as high as .365 and as many as 52 home runs? The answer is simple: You could criticize him if you thought he should have been consistent at those levels, if you believed in your heart he could have been even better.
That seems like an unrealistic standard unless Stengel felt that Mantle was not giving his best effort, and we now know that he didn't.
For me the emblematic moment of Mantle's failing to keep himself in game-shape above and beyond the many legitimate injuries he suffered (catching your foot on a chickenwire fence is going to mean a broken ankle drunk or sober) is his yielding the home-run record to Roger Maris in 1961 because, having slumped in mid-September while fighting a cold, he went to quack doctor Max Jacobson, "Dr. Feelgood." Jacobson gave Mantle a shot of amphetamines, but delivered it ineptly, creating a major infection site that abscessed down to the bone. Mantle was effectively done for the season, as well as all but six at-bats of the World Series, from that point on.
Between the cold -- and Mantle's carousing means it's fair to wonder if he was more susceptible to a random virus than he might have been otherwise -- and the botched shot, Mantle was effectively sidelined for the last 10 games of the season. He trailed Maris by six home runs at that point, so chances are even if fully healthy Mantle wouldn't have made his own assault on the record, but we'll never know.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

OK 'nutz, I've got a bet for you to consider
as it seems you're obsessed w/the Yankees.

The Yanks & Angels play 6 games this season, they're coming up quick: April 25th, 26th & 27th, then May 5th, 6th & 7th.

I say the Yanks mop up the Angels, I'm almost certain you feel otherwise.

Here's the bet:
if you lose you make a $50 donation to the animal shelter of your choice, same for me, I take the Yanks winning the series, you of course would be stuck betting on the Angels; if it winds up going 3 games each (a push) then we each donate that same $50 to our choice of shelters. I made a similar bet with member Ottoman last year in the NFL thread, it was a push so we both paid & we provided proof to one another by exchanging pics of issued receipts.

If you lose I'd like to suggest going to a local shelter, take the tour, bring a deep pocket full of biscuits or cat treats along w/your donation, donating online is just a form of insulation & separation from the reality of the plight of these animals. No matter how well these pets are treated @ their facilities I'm sure you'll leave there thinking "that's fucked up."

I donate often to the Beltrami Humane Society, a no kill shelter.

theJointedOne

Veteran
yankees suck, they make players cut their hair and shave, ooo fancy pants. meh

gimme a mohawk, or some long hair, or hella tattoos or a curly mustache and some west coast style baseball. You know we can even smoke weed in the bleachers?

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I go to the ball park... I see it as a family situation, a place for kids , I can wait till later for a puff :)

theJointedOne

Veteran
i guess the families are more comfortable with beer being sold in their face as soon as you walk in a stadium..

id rather have my kid smell some sensi in the wind then be around a bunch of loud drunks

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I cant do much about the beer being served... but I can keep my pot in my pocket till a time when its not families out for a day at the park. Dont get me wrong .. im an old guy .. I never hid any pot from my kids . They both grew up to be wonderful humans. I just think there is a time and a place. The ballpark is a family situation, Im there to share baseball ... we can share a joint at a more appropriate time.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

gimme a mohawk, or some long hair, or hella tattoos or a curly mustache and some west coast style baseball. You know we can even smoke weed in the bleachers?

Each team is different, isn't that how it should be? Who wants to every one the same ?
As for the smoking and drinking thing, beer has been a part of baseball ( and all sports in general) so it's hard to compare the 2. It's a time to relax and enjoy the game so if having a cpl of beers is what you want to do,I see nothing wrong with it, not everyone gets drunk....and it's legal, weed isn't quite in the same boat but it's getting closer.
When I'm at the game I want to enjoy the moment, and not get distracted by smoking, we just get super high before we go and are good till the games over.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

hey hey hey!!!

another closet Yankees fan!!!
guess what???
the same bet's open to you :)

put your money where your mustache is!

and if your west coast team ain't playing my
Yankees you can go line up with the Angels
or any other team the plays against the Yanks.

NEW ENGLAND

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well I cant do much about the beer being served... but I can keep my pot in my pocket till a time when its not families out for a day at the park. Dont get me wrong .. im an old guy .. I never hid any pot from my kids . They both grew up to be wonderful humans. I just think there is a time and a place. The ballpark is a family situation, Im there to share baseball ... we can share a joint at a more appropriate time.
Best post all day!

Coconutz

Veteran

OK 'nutz, I've got a bet for you to consider
as it seems you're obsessed w/the Yankees.

The Yanks & Angels play 6 games this season, they're coming up quick: April 25th, 26th & 27th, then May 5th, 6th & 7th.

I say the Yanks mop up the Angels, I'm almost certain you feel otherwise.

Here's the bet:
if you lose you make a $50 donation to the animal shelter of your choice, same for me, I take the Yanks winning the series, you of course would be stuck betting on the Angels; if it winds up going 3 games each (a push) then we each donate that same $50 to our choice of shelters. I made a similar bet with member Ottoman last year in the NFL thread, it was a push so we both paid & we provided proof to one another by exchanging pics of issued receipts.

If you lose I'd like to suggest going to a local shelter, take the tour, bring a deep pocket full of biscuits or cat treats along w/your donation, donating online is just a form of insulation & separation from the reality of the plight of these animals. No matter how well these pets are treated @ their facilities I'm sure you'll leave there thinking "that's fucked up."

I donate often to the Beltrami Humane Society, a no kill shelter.

I wish I had $50 to donate...
I have my own rescued pit that I need to get fixed.
A local shelter has a low income program thats only $10 after rebate.
Id feel much safer betting that Pujols will have ground into more double plays than he has hits.
Holy shit! That guy is a real piece of work!
Hamilton! Fuckin Josh Fucking Hamilton! OMFG!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wish I had $50 to donate...
I have my own rescued pit that I need to get fixed.
A local shelter has a low income program thats only $10 after rebate.
Id feel much safer betting that Pujols will have ground into more double plays than he has hits.
Holy shit! That guy is a real piece of work!
Hamilton! Fuckin Josh Fucking Hamilton! OMFG!

sorry to hear that you're in a money crunch.

OK, we'll bet for some fun & bragging rights then :)

I always give to my local shelter anyways, I was down there today, there's always an excess of large black dogs, those are the least desired dogs for adopting out, that's fucked up.......

Space Toker

Veteran
Yikes S4L you have been giving everyone hell lately, I have to agree more often than not but lighten up man and relax, no need to provoke the simple minded! :D anyway, who said bosox it sounds like a disease! yeah all fired up tonight and not in a good way, forgive me!
Red Sox are lacking luster for sure, but I have to believe they will get it together before long.... Go Red Sox!

CanniDo Cowboy

Veteran
Jackie Robinson Nite at Giants AT&T park tonite, who are takin on the Dudgers. All players, both teams wearing Jackie's number 42 in tribute. Very cool, right on Giants for doin it & for that ya gotta luv baseball. For baseball fans who havent yet, catch the movie "42". Hard to believe the segregation in baseball back then. Branch Rickey is another true baseball hero. He almost single handedly broke the color barrier in MLB back then and... as the owner of the LA DODGERS. Go figure...lol CC

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yea cowboy it was cool seeing everyone in number 42, Vince Skully's been calling the game for 65 years now , man that's amazing!! Props to him......what a great game , came back to win it in the 11th, beating the dodgers is always a good thing but to do it in that fashion is sooooo sweet!!! hehehe

GO GIANTS!!!!

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

double header in progress against the Cubbies, courtesy of some rain in The Bronx last night....... :)

EDIT:
took both :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.