What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk IV A Phoenix Terpenator

What is the shortest dip tube length you guys have been able to get away with? Without aspirating liquid into your recovery port of course. All collection pot sizes, although 10"x 12" in particular.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I haven't aspirated yet at 9.5", but watch my flood rates carefully.

Pangea

Veteran
Welded pieces questions.
Based on what ive read in the thread the phoenix has either a 3/8" or 1/2" half coupling welded flush to bottom as the vapor recovery port?

The lid machining diagram on SPR site for the mkV has a 1" half coupling as the vapor port with a huge 2.09" hole. The 304ss 1" half coupler on paramounts site has a OD of 1.77", is this not beefy enough? Paramount 1" half coupler.
Makes sense to go with 1" like the MKV right?

The recovery tree, 1.5" x 6" spool? with 4 side ports NPT, 2 - 1/2" for recovery pumps and 1 - 1/4" for vac purge? and a 1/2 for pressure gauge.

The dump/column T, 2"x 6"? with two side ports NPT, 1-1/2 for recovery pump, 1 - 3/8" for bottom up liquid butane?

What is the connection on the top of the recovery tree end cap? Is that for an optional thermocouple?

Last edited:

Pangea

Veteran
Thanks, BYF.

Bump for the welded questions.

Any parts list links for the IV or V?

Is anyone selling welded lids, tree's or t's? or whole kits?

Pangea

Veteran
And a good price to boot, unfortunately I cant afford a pre built 4 with ancillaries. Only a pre built 3 w/ancillaries or a diy 4 w/ancillaries. If I was selling my oil for market value I could justify the price, but my meds are going towards palliative care.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1) The Mk IV uses a 1 1/2" sanitary coupling on the lid, so that the recovery manifold clamps on. A 1" NPT port would work, if you redesigned the recovery manifold.

2) Recovery pump ports are all 1/2" on the Mk IV.

3) 1/4" tubular thermocouple.

Pangea

Veteran
Thanks Gray Wolf.

I think I will stick with the V design as its will allow me to go bigger when I'm able.

The 1.5" half coupling works for me, my confusion is with the V lid schematics having a recovery hole of 2.09", as the OD of a 1.25" half coupling is larger than 2.09"

Glacier sells the 1.5"npt to 1.5"TC.

Hope to have a part list ready to share right away.

Last edited:

Pangea

Veteran
did you change the down tube from 3/8 to 1/2"?

Edit

I saw on the SPR website that you're necking down the 1/2 FNPT to 3/8" to catch the down tube compression fitting with a bushing. The only problem I'm having is finding are finding the Tri Clamp to Pipe thread adapters. Specifically 2" TC -> 1/2 FNPT that goes on the top of the column and 1.5" TC -> 1/2 FNPT that is supposed to catch the sight glass on the vent tube. Maybe Glacier just doesn't have it on their site.

Big ups and thanks for taking the time to give direct support.

Was the bushing from 3/8" to 1/2" because the TC - FNPT was not available at the time? Brewers hardware seems to have all the TC to FNPT fittings including a 3/8"FNPT to 1 1/2"TC, this should do the trick for the vent tube, no?

Compression fitting??

Sorry, seems like I need more spoon feeding that I thought....

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Compression fitting are if you run a solid vent tube and if you do triclamp with jic or flare you can use ss over braid flex hose for column venting so you don't need to change vent tube for different column sizes

Mark V is badass

Pangea

Veteran
Right, I thought you were talking about the bottom side of the vent sight glass, been a long day... I will be using the ss braided ptfe lined housles. Again, thanks for looking out. :tiphat:

I think Im still in the right thread, not sure when a IV becomes a V, not running duallies or automating anything yet.

Eithger way, I'm going to have this baby purring in no time:dance013:

Permacultuure

Veteran
Right, I thought you were talking about the bottom side of the vent sight glass, been a long day... I will be using the ss braided ptfe lined housles. Again, thanks for looking out. :tiphat:

I think Im still in the right thread, not sure when a IV becomes a V, not running duallies or automating anything yet.

I prefer the "Mk4.5" ;) a 12" spool, with single 4x36 column. I find that during recovery I can isolate the bottom from the top by closing the dump and overflow valves at -15, replace the 4x36, pull vac on it, and begin a second column flood just as efficiently as the MKv design, bare bones.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was the bushing from 3/8" to 1/2" because the TC - FNPT was not available at the time? Brewers hardware seems to have all the TC to FNPT fittings including a 3/8"FNPT to 1 1/2"TC, this should do the trick for the vent tube, no?

Compression fitting??

Sorry, seems like I need more spoon feeding that I thought....

Yes, they only had 1/2" at the time, so I bushed it to 3/8".

I use a Hoke MNPT X 1/4" for the thermocouple, after running a drill bit through it for clearance.

I use hoses for the top vent and top rinse, to facilitate column length change.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

A Mk IV uses a 10" X 12" lower spool, and a Mk V uses a 12" X 12" lower spool.

An "A" designation means it is automated.

Pangea

Veteran
Part list wip:
GLACIER TANKS:

SKU: 13MHM-R150
TriClamp 1"-1 1/2" Single Hinge Clamp HD SS316
QTY: 6

SKU: SP-1200-012
TriClamp 12" Pipe Spools 12" Length SS304
QTY: 1

SKU: BV2CV-200
Ball Valve Pull Handle 2" SS3316 Encapsulated

SKU: 13MHP-1200
TriClamp 12" High Pressure Clamp Bolted
QTY: 3

SKU: 16AMP-G1200
TriClamp End Cap 12" SS304
QTY: 3

SKU: SP-200-036
TriClamp 2" Sanitary Pipe Spool 36" Length
QTY: 60

SKU: 40MOSFY-1200-FDA
TriClamp VITON Gasket 12" Black FDA
QTY: 4

SKU: SGP-150
Sight Glass 1 1/2" With Protection Silicone Seals
QTY: 2

SKU: SP-200-024
TriClamp 2" Sanitary Pipe Spools 24" Length

SKU: SP-200-012
TriClamp 2" Pipe Spools 12" Length
QTY: 2

SKU: SP-150-006
TriClamp 1 1/2" Sanitary Tubing Spools 6" Length
qty: 4

SKU: 21MP-G100
NPT 1" Male to 1 1/2" TriClamp Heavy Duty SS304
qty:2

SKU: SGS-150-VITON
Sight Glass 1 1/2" Viton Replacement Gasket
qty 8

SKU: 16AMP-G150
TriClamp End Cap 1-1 1/2" SS304
qty: 1

SKU: 40MPSFY-200-FDA
TriClamp VITON Gasket 2" Black FDA
qty: 10

SKU: 40MPG-150-FDA
TriClamp PTFE Gasket 1 1/2" White FDA 21
qty: 10

SKU: 40MPSFY-150-FDA
TriClamp VITON Gasket 1 1/2 " Black FDA
qty 4

SKU: 40MPVS-200-20
TriClamp VITON Screen Gasket 20 mesh 2 "
qty 4

SKU: 22MP-G050
FNPT 1/2" Female to 1 1/2" TriClamp Heavy DutySS30

SKU: SP-200-006-
TriClamp 2" Tubing Spools 6" Length
qty: 2

PARAMOUNT SUPPLY:

1/2" PARAMOUNT SSFP 1000# BV
Item #: 3492320
qty 12

1/2" Tee
1/2" Street 90elbow
1/2" elbow 90

Brewers Hardware:
2" Tri Clover Compatible X 1/2" Female NPT
SKU: TC20F12

Other:
CPS TR21(century tools)
CPS VP6S(amazon)
Valve for vacuum pump(not sure of type)
Pump Filters(need source and recommendations)
50Lbs tank(amazon)
Can to tank puncture tool/filler(amazon)
Tank Scale(amazon)
Hoses(amazon)
NPT to SAE 1/2" 304SS(need source)
1/2" x 12" TOE Nipple(locally threaded)
Compound Pressure Gauge Stainless ( http://www.valworx.com/product/stainless-compound-gauge-25-30-hg-0-150-psi-lf )

Total is around 3500.

I went with 1/2" ports everywhere, recovery, vent, vacuum. Doubled and multipled up on gaskets and few other parts and fittings.

I cant find:
- 1/2" x 12" Toe Nipple 304 online, so have to get that threaded locally, anyone have an online source?
- 1/2" NPT x 1/2" SAE/JIC in 304SS
- Gotta go back and thread search about the pump filters. I think people were also using a cold trap or some such between the collection spool and the recovery pump?

Last edited:

Pangea

Veteran
Going to start ordering tomorrow, any input or help with the parts im having trouble sourcing would be greatly appreciated!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Part list wip:

I went with 1/2" ports everywhere, recovery, vent, vacuum. Doubled and multipled up on gaskets and few other parts and fittings.

I cant find:
- 1/2" x 12" Toe Nipple 304 online, so have to get that threaded locally, anyone have an online source?
- 1/2" NPT x 1/2" SAE/JIC in 304SS
- Gotta go back and thread search about the pump filters. I think people were also using a cold trap or some such between the collection spool and the recovery pump?

Swagelok can supply the fittings

Chonkski

Hey gueys, got a few questions that have indeed been discussed before but is a little lost in all the clutter.

So first of all, I finally ordered a 100# recovery tank. I'm currently using the 50# with around 7 lbs of butane in it. I was going to just recover from the vapor port of the 50# straight into the 100# tank, I'll just apply heat to the 50#(?).. How much tane do you guys typically keep in your 100#tanks?

'Tis the season, so I have alooooot of trim from a twister. Water leaf and all just mixed right in of course. Which brings me to my next personal question. What is you're guys' preference of process when it comes to duff like this?

And also regarding the duff, Should I perhaps just run a single pass (shower from the top) and dump it just to keep a efficient production times?

I know a lot of what I'm asking is purely preference which I have plenty of. I'm just looking for some other perspective than my own. I have no one else to bounce ideas off of, so I fiend for spitballing sometimes I suppose.

One last thing.. For those of you using MKiv's or mkV's, do you have difficulty emptying the 4"x36" columns? Should I still just use my 125psi compressor like I do for my 1-1/2" columns?