What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mk IV A Phoenix Terpenator

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check valve>pressure relief valve>excessively long hose it is. Thank you Greywolf. :tiphat:

http://www.directmaterial.com/Stainless_Steel_316_Y_Spring_Check_Valves_p/dcvcsy1.htm?1=1&CartID=5

Likely two check valves in a series.

Although, the following thread has me rethinking adding check valves+relief valve at all..

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Is-check-valve-as-real-1821535.S.214776206

Both good points. Hard to tell if the check valve shown is bubble tight through out the range without seeing its certs or checking it oneself. I struck out with my first two tries at pressure relief valves, because they started to leak long before releasing and the pressure had to drop excessively low for them to reset.

The spring loaded ball checks that I've used have worked flawlessly thus far, but they certainly can fail.

Applications like potable water back flow devices, do indeed use double checks with a vacuum break between them.

I didn't on the Terpenator because by the time vacuum levels are of concern on the relief valve, seat pressure is high on the check valve.

For those who desire double checks, it is an assembly and an additional one can be easily added.

whatthe215

Veteran
i can't say it enough times, i have so much respect for ya GW. you give me hope that the business will succeed in the face of yellow journalism and uneducated politicians. thank you.

Chonkski

Is it a possibility to run the MKiv using just one promax?

I am just now starting on the assembly if my unit purchased from wolfwurx.

And also do you have a schematic for the system handy GW?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it a possibility to run the MKiv using just one promax?

I am just now starting on the assembly if my unit purchased from wolfwurx.

And also do you have a schematic for the system handy GW?

Yes, the system is designed to run from one to three pumps.

The first layout uses heat mats, the second hot water heat, and the third is for using one Gast Pump and one oil less recovery pump.

Attachments

• Gast schematic 001.jpg
    Gast schematic 001.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Mk IV PID with electric heat 001.jpg
    Mk IV PID with electric heat 001.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Mk IV PID with hot water 001.jpg
    Mk IV PID with hot water 001.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Curious if many one knows when wolfwurx will be restocking and if there's room to put a deposit in for a kit once they land?

Chonkski

Yes, the system is designed to run from one to three pumps.

The first layout uses heat mats, the second hot water heat, and the third is for using one Gast Pump and one oil less recovery pump.

Thank you very much!!

You told me all about the gast when I was there, unfortunately
Unfortunately they are on back order for the next six weeks at least. Otherwise I found one for 1200$..

Should I think about the haskel? Or just run it like an mkIII until I get another promax..?

Your suggestions are a godsend GW!

Chonkski

Thanks permacultuure! That's the plan that was winning when it comes to my resources.

I was just afraid to put too much ware on the dual promax.. But I know it's not much worse that the mkIII with the right precautions..

Still haven't needed to rebuild or replace, but I'm also still under the impression that I'm walking on eggshells with these unite

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you very much!!

You told me all about the gast when I was there, unfortunately
Unfortunately they are on back order for the next six weeks at least. Otherwise I found one for 1200$..

Should I think about the haskel? Or just run it like an mkIII until I get another promax..?

Your suggestions are a godsend GW!

The Haskel is the most reliable and lowest maintenance solution, but comes with the requirement for 40 scfm clean air, which is about another $8K, using a 10 hp Eaton screw compressor with refrigerative drier and receiving tank.

The cost of that compressors maintenance should therefore be considered as part of the cost, so you can see it is an expensive solution overall, best applied to commercial enterprises.

In that application, not only is it a work horse, but it puts a smile of the face of the fire marshal when seeking permits, and is therefore overall arguably the best solution, with the highest utility at the margin.

For us'n poor fokels, there is the simplest option of running one oil less recovery pump, such as the Mk III does, or up to three on the Mk V. It works well, with the attendant high maintenance cost keeping the pistons sealed, because we are running the seals essentially dry, once we are under vacuum.

The best solution I've found thus far to reducing the seal wear, is to use a two stage system comprising both a diaphragm pump and an oil less recovery pump. It not only keeps the oil less seals lubricated, but is significantly faster.

Any of the solutions above work, pick the one best serving your application and needs.

The long way of answering your question, for the benefit of those whom weren't present for our initial conversation.

Chonkski

Greatly appreciated Gray Wolf!

8k$ wowza!

I suppose this is an option for the future, I must admit the one thing I didn't look up for pricing was the compressor, silly me, I assumed it would be cheaper than the pump..

I do like that it follows the guidelines of a licensed commercial outfit, although considering I'm in California.... It looks like that will be another thing to look forward to the future for.

How efficiently will the rebuild kit work, and how many times considering I'm doing every possible thing to keep any actual oil laden butane from entering the intake (ie SS coils in hot water and filter driers up the wazoo)

http://www.centurytool.net/SK_6006_PROMAX_RG6000_Compressor_Rebuild_Kit_p/sk-6006.htm

50$ is great!

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greatly appreciated Gray Wolf!

8k$ wowza!

I suppose this is an option for the future, I must admit the one thing I didn't look up for pricing was the compressor, silly me, I assumed it would be cheaper than the pump..

I do like that it follows the guidelines of a licensed commercial outfit, although considering I'm in California.... It looks like that will be another thing to look forward to the future for.

How efficiently will the rebuild kit work, and how many times considering I'm doing every possible thing to keep any actual oil laden butane from entering the intake (ie SS coils in hot water and filter driers up the wazoo)

http://www.centurytool.net/SK_6006_PROMAX_RG6000_Compressor_Rebuild_Kit_p/sk-6006.htm

50$ is great!

Great is an understatement, considering the kit costs for an Appion G-5! Thanks for sharing!

Don't know how many rebuilds, but Appion complained of glazed cylinders that would no longer seal, sooo you may need to clean the inside of the cylinder walls with something appropriate as well.

A question worth considering, is how many rebuilds to pay for a $600 Gast diaphragm pump for the first stage into a $100 secondary tank and a 6000 for the second stage from the secondary tank to the original storage tank. The 6000 always runs lubricated and the secondary tank acts as a cold trap to protect it.

You can automate the pressure controls for another $200 in parts, or just run it manually by watching the analog gauge.

Chonkski

Great is an understatement, considering the kit costs for an Appion G-5! Thanks for sharing!

Don't know how many rebuilds, but Appion complained of glazed cylinders that would no longer seal, sooo you may need to clean the inside of the cylinder walls with something appropriate as well.

A question worth considering, is how many rebuilds to pay for a $600 Gast diaphragm pump for the first stage into a $100 secondary tank and a 6000 for the second stage from the secondary tank to the original storage tank. The 6000 always runs lubricated and the secondary tank acts as a cold trap to protect it.

You can automate the pressure controls for another $200 in parts, or just run it manually by watching the analog gauge.

Indeed, Gray Wolf. As always, your considerations are the most logical.

You may be pleased to know that I do plan on using the gast the same way you have explained to me, I just will have to wait the 6 week back order period.

Do you suggest adding a second rg6000 to the collection or the perhaps the bottom of the column as well? Or would this even be necessary considering it would just be another rg6000 to worry about running dry at times.

You and wayward mentioned that recovery times were phenomenal as is right?

I may just be getting ahead of myself.

I would never have dreamed id be here with out ya GW! Forever in debt to the knowledge/engineering you have put forth unto fellow extraction artists!
:dance013:

Chonkski

I'm also leaning more towards setting up the way ElequentSolution has it set up at the pharm..

Without wanting to invest in the 12"x12" spool, what would be my best way of attaining a 6" to 10" tri clamp reducer?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Indeed, Gray Wolf. As always, your considerations are the most logical.

You may be pleased to know that I do plan on using the gast the same way you have explained to me, I just will have to wait the 6 week back order period.

Do you suggest adding a second rg6000 to the collection or the perhaps the bottom of the column as well? Or would this even be necessary considering it would just be another rg6000 to worry about running dry at times.

You and wayward mentioned that recovery times were phenomenal as is right?

I may just be getting ahead of myself.

I would never have dreamed id be here with out ya GW! Forever in debt to the knowledge/engineering you have put forth unto fellow extraction artists!
:dance013:

Luckily I got our six Gasts ordered, and current customers covered, before word became wide spread, and they got buried. The last four just arrived slightly ahead of schedule, so they are pumping them out as committed thus far.

I would see how happy you are with the single Promax following the Gast. The Promax and cooling down the butane is the slow part of the system, but instead of another pump, we are adding a more elaborate heat exchanger to the Mk VB, which we will build ourselves out of stainless tubing in a subzero bath.

It will sit on a shelf above the 100# recovery tank, and is designed for the liquid butane to be self draining. Pictures when it is built and installed.

Recovery times depends on what you're making, but if you would like to chat with the beta prototype owner running the first system, contact me at the WolfWurx, Inc addy and I'll hook you up. He says it sped that part of the recovery operation up by 3X.

PS: Thanks for the good thoughts!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm also leaning more towards setting up the way ElequentSolution has it set up at the pharm..

Without wanting to invest in the 12"x12" spool, what would be my best way of attaining a 6" to 10" tri clamp reducer?

Specialized Formulations has offered those, so I would check them out for a turnkey.

You can build it by having a 6" hole machined in a 12" endcap, and having a 6" sanitary weld ferule welded in place. Glacier Tank may have the end caps and ferules in stock.

Chonkski

Most appreciated! Can't wait to see those photos GW!

As far as welding/machining, this will be my first time entering a shop and asking them for help.. I have heard countless storied of being turned down in my area for not having a great explanation on why you're needing whatever it is that you're asking.. But I'm hoping that will turn out to be bs.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most appreciated! Can't wait to see those photos GW!

As far as welding/machining, this will be my first time entering a shop and asking them for help.. I have heard countless storied of being turned down in my area for not having a great explanation on why you're needing whatever it is that you're asking.. But I'm hoping that will turn out to be bs.

Tell them you and uncle Billybob are building an alcohol still.