What's new

Mitch's Auto Adventure......

No problem man, yes absolutely you can use a male photo to a female auto, if that's the option you have to work with.

We generally do it the other way around because we're working with the female cuts and it's often easier to spot a stellar female than a stellar male, but it's not impossible.

And yes you can bx to the auto to achieve fully auto, you'll save a few generations worth of work this way, but imo it's far better to inbreed as you retain much more of the qualities you were seeking from the photoperiod side.

We'll have test results in the next few weeks of the artisanal strains along with a bit of a write up explaining the idea behind them. So keep your eyes peeled :)
Cheers Mitch

Thanks Mitch! I'm still pretty new to growing and your info has helped me understand a lot about breeding. Just looked at your site and it is awesome. Top quality at a fair price, what more could you want, right? I just recently spent over $500 at a sponsored bean site and have way too much right now. I wish I'd known about Mephisto, as I'd rather have spent that there. Your work is appreciated. Keep on living the dream and create some more amazing ladies.

Peace, Roast.

Also, Mitch, as someone who's a bit short on cash, would you recommend 24c for a short outdoor sog, that would be inbred for next seasons grow, just so I wouldn't have to drop a lot of cash on a lot of seeds. If not, what would you highest seed yielding strain be that still is good for short sogs? I don't want to seem like a cheap ass for asking this but it's because of my current position, and although I'd love to support you buy buying a few hundred autos, I'm just currently not in the place to do so. So I'd probably be running 3-7 of a strain, and pollinating 1-2 of the best for the next season.

Also, great work man, I couldn't imagine the amount of man hours, or work that went into all of these strains, I'm definitely going to go with you for at least a few seeds, just unsure of what to pick right now :p

Gardening Angel

Veteran
Hey guys, just finished de-seeding the artisanal run. Just a whole heap of fine sorting to do now.

Here's some photos of some dry buds from each strain, these were from the specimines we decided not to pollinate, but we're going to submit these for analysis soon.

3 bears og f3 - Karma's Bear OG cut x triangle Kush
View Image

Grape Crinkle f3 - (Canadian crinkle x Supernatural) x Ripleys OG
View Image

Skywalker f3 - Skywalker Kush x Triangle Kush
View Image

Sour Stomper f3 - Grape Stomper OG x Sour Crack
View Image

And just a single photo of what we were passed as East Coast Sour Diesel, but we now believe to be a mystery cookies. This was crossed with our Sour Stomper and SODK autos
View Image

Until next time, Mitch

Hey Mitch

That 3 bears auto nug looks really good 👊
Going to need a few of these to find my goldilocks

Thanks
GA

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Mitch! I'm still pretty new to growing and your info has helped me understand a lot about breeding. Just looked at your site and it is awesome. Top quality at a fair price, what more could you want, right? I just recently spent over $500 at a sponsored bean site and have way too much right now. I wish I'd known about Mephisto, as I'd rather have spent that there. Your work is appreciated. Keep on living the dream and create some more amazing ladies.

Peace, Roast.

Hi roasty, it's not that we're new by any means, but mostly as we're only active on a couple of forums, and our growth has been through word of mouth, we're just creeping onto some peoples radar's now, but we're in it for the long term and so no sweat, there's always next time :)

Also, Mitch, as someone who's a bit short on cash, would you recommend 24c for a short outdoor sog, that would be inbred for next seasons grow, just so I wouldn't have to drop a lot of cash on a lot of seeds. If not, what would you highest seed yielding strain be that still is good for short sogs? I don't want to seem like a cheap ass for asking this but it's because of my current position, and although I'd love to support you buy buying a few hundred autos, I'm just currently not in the place to do so. So I'd probably be running 3-7 of a strain, and pollinating 1-2 of the best for the next season.

There won't be a huge difference in seed yield between the smaller sog strains as essentially you'll have around the same amount of budsites to work with.
We only pollinate the nicest nugs whichever size we're working with so the end yields for seed are always pretty similar.

Also, great work man, I couldn't imagine the amount of man hours, or work that went into all of these strains, I'm definitely going to go with you for at least a few seeds, just unsure of what to pick right now :p

No worries, check us on Instagram, there's a special discount for there and we run competitions and sales fairly frequently !

Hey Mitch

That 3 bears auto nug looks really good 👊
Going to need a few of these to find my goldilocks

Thanks
GA

Hey mate, hopefully we'll be entering some flowers from the 3 bears og into a cup in the not too distant future!

Cheers all :)

Hi roasty, it's not that we're new by any means, but mostly as we're only active on a couple of forums, and our growth has been through word of mouth, we're just creeping onto some peoples radar's now, but we're in it for the long term and so no sweat, there's always next time :)

There won't be a huge difference in seed yield between the smaller sog strains as essentially you'll have around the same amount of budsites to work with.
We only pollinate the nicest nugs whichever size we're working with so the end yields for seed are always pretty similar.

No worries, check us on Instagram, there's a special discount for there and we run competitions and sales fairly frequently !

Hey mate, hopefully we'll be entering some flowers from the 3 bears og into a cup in the not too distant future!

Cheers all :)

In your opinion, what's your best SOG auto, while still being short in height?

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of the following are very manageable but I would say in this order as my personal rating :
Sour crack, sour blues, 24 carat, auto blues

Anything else or if you want to discuss further pm or email me through our site and I'd be happy to help.

Cheers, Mitch

All of the following are very manageable but I would say in this order as my personal rating :
Sour crack, sour blues, 24 carat, auto blues

Anything else or if you want to discuss further pm or email me through our site and I'd be happy to help.

Cheers, Mitch
Nope, that's it mate. Thank you very much for letting me know man, definitely will be ordering in a week or two. Most likely going to go with the 24 carat or sour crack, I find both very interesting. Thanks for answering all of my questions, something most breeders don't do. Also looking forward to some photos of the grows you got going right now!

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Artisanal Automatics - Welcome to the Artisanal age!

Artisanal Automatics - Welcome to the Artisanal age!

Here at Mephisto genetics we have been working for many years now on an intensive breeding program to create what we deem to be the pinnacle of auto-flowering genetics in the world today.

For anyone that wants a deeper insight read on!

8 years ago we began toying with automatics as they first hit the market, drawing from the then limited options of what was available (This was when you could count the varieties available on one hand, and there were at most 5 not 50 companies offering them) with the intent to create improved nicer hybrids, have fun tinkering and explore the variations within. The aim was to Determine and learn more about the auto-flowering trait. This included time taken for the plants to trigger from sprout to sexing, observing differences in pre-flowering time, recording complete cycle times, hardiness, reaction to different methods of training. It was our auto lab with nothing to lose and everything to gain and the experimentation continued.

The first wind of auto-flowers to hit the market, were very much looked down upon by the masses, as a gimmick, novelty, stupid or poor quality, or waste of time. A limiting factor in this was the genetics, In the early days of auto-flowers there was a misconception that auto's were high in cbd, there's no doubt they provided a mellow and pleasant high and some users found medicinal properties and benefits from consuming them. But as you'll read shortly we believe it was purely an outright lack of THC.

Also perhaps the biggest factor was purely that people didn't know how to handle them which led to poor results and some people swearing off them for some years if not for life.

Auto growers soon learnt some bueno techniques, and the larger companies out there began to see a rise in popularity and them as a potential cash cow, Due to this many automatics that became available in the second wave and expansion of varieties unfortunately didn't actually auto-flower, which hurt the movement again. So our approach has always been to do things properly and with transparency.

Unfortunately many auto-flowering strains available today are purely a re-branding exercise made by who knows with no attention to quality or detail, or thought to the people who will spend their hard earned money on them and to grow them, but thankfully quality is out there to be found.

Anyway back to business, we made a whole bunch of auto to auto hybrids and then inbred these new lines over multiple generations into more stable platforms to create a base of genetics we knew inside out and out to use as future auto-trait donors in fresh auto to photo projects. We developed and stabilised a range of plant structures and growth patterns, aromas and flavours, even though we had seen increases in quality of resin covering the main thing to us that was still lacking was potency.

Simultaneously we had been building a stable of fire photo-periods, either amassing and testing highly prized cuts, or buying sought after seeds from our favourite breeders, flowering out several packs at a time to find those unique keepers, or making our own f2's to explore their genetics further. We love to support our fellow breeders and always give credit where it's due as well as give a comprehensive history to our strains and their creation.

After the pre-work into both the auto and photo side of our dream projects was complete we were now ready to dot the i's and cross the t's and begin the journey of creating brand new original automatics from scratch.

We then worked our project crosses from photo-period behaving F1's to 100% automatic, typically over 4 generations of inbreeding, but sometimes it takes 5, or to repeat a generation in order to get the ideal outcome for a project.

These projects once completed formed our Mephisto Genetics Originals collection, the first step and new generation of auto's created for customers with a connoisseur's pallet. To bring photo-period quality to the fun, speed and convenience of auto growing.

At this point in time, we submitted samples for THC analysis, from the auto parents and the newly bred originals now fully auto, and we were blown away to see that out-crossing to a high quality photo-period and reworking until automatic once again had upped potency from 6-8% converted THC to between 15 and 20%. The figures of our testing submissions are on the conservative side of what's possible, as we always pollinate the best specimens, so it's the pollination rejects that we submit for testing.

Also for breeding purposes, we generally don't baby our plants too much, they get a decent environment but we also take a survival of the fittest approach, culling anything we don't like, feeding basic nutrients so the real champions of the batches shine through. Because of this technique we've seen from our clients grows the potential for their THC levels to be even higher.

Now having a whole family of Mephisto Originals to work from and use as a new improved base for projects, the idea of Artisanal Automatics was born, The culmination of all the previous years work had come together and the time was right to out-cross to photo-period strains once again, with the sole intent to escalate auto quality to the upper eschelons and we would love to have each strain consistently testing in the 20's with terpenes to match.

The Artisanal projects again involve unique genetics and each stage of breeding was carried out with ultra selectiveness to deliver the finest product possible.

Made in very low volumes we want people to get a feel for the hand crafted nature of these seeds, organically grown, we start the highest number of plants to select from as possible, the very best candidates at 3 weeks old are picked out to reverse, we typically reverse twice as many plants as we intend to pollinate in order find the perfect one which we will select to pollinate with.

We may pollinate as little as 3 plants for each Artisanal strain, plucking one pollen sack at a time to pollinate one flower site. We opt only to pollinate the largest juiciest flowers of each plant, neglecting the bottom half, this is to intentionally not fully pollinate the plant in order to produce a smaller amount of seeds. This may sound counter-intuitive for a seed company to work this way, but less seeds, equals healthier higher quality seeds.

We allow a minimum of 5 weeks from pollination at 20/4 light period for seeds to develop and mature, at which point the seeded flowers are clipped from the plant, and carefully placed on brown paper to begin the drying process, any special notes about the plant, phenotype, aromas, unique characteristics are made at this time.

The seeded flowers are checked and turned daily as they dry, this process takes around a week to get them to the point where they are crispy enough to crumble on the outside but when busted up by hand the material will fluff up allowing easy removal of the sticks and stems which cushions the seeds and keeps them from being scratched or too roughed up from the de-seeding process.

The busted up plant material containing the seeds is placed on a screen and gently bounced and agitated by hand, until we are left with around 5% plant matter. The mostly seed mix is then re-put into brown paper for additional drying.

Several days later the seeds are fine sorted under magnification, and yes we go to bed seeing seeds, but it's a rewarding exercise.

Seeds are then ran through a counter, a proportion is kept for our future breeding, then they are bagged, refrigerated and left to settle and lose the freshness that can affect germination ratio's.

Before release they are first subject to a germination test in house, we always aim for as close to 100% as possible. They then go out to testers for a pre-release test.

The work involved for a seed-run for release can easily take 4 months or longer, so we plan to do only one run of Artisanals for release each year. So be prepared for these to be out of stock for lengthy periods of time.

We hope you enjoyed reading this insight into our new Artisanal lines, the history, the idea, the processes we are always happy to explain. :D

picture.php

picture.php

That is one awesome post Mitch. LOVE the transparency and knowledge that you share. Just ordered 4 packs of your gear which is in route from your site. I must say it was a nice experience using your site and Paypal makes payment VERY easy. I will be running SOG in coco hempy's, about 2 litre pots. Will try and post a thread when time comes. THANKS A BUNCH MITCH.

Peace, Roast.

Nice read - I saw the split on your site and was wondering about the artisenal line - I was thinking.... are these better than the originals?Looks like it's further work and should not be judged in the better or worse category just... special. :)

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice read - I saw the split on your site and was wondering about the artisenal line - I was thinking.... are these better than the originals?Looks like it's further work and should not be judged in the better or worse category just... special. :)

Hi mate, I'd say better and more special :)
High quality photoperiod parents, and higher quality auto parents than those used to create the originals.. So it's a double thumbs up from me.

Also there's less availability of these, they are just a two or 3 plant pollination.

Still need to figure out pricing.

I'll get the strain descriptions posted here in the next few days.

Cheers Mitch

mitch_connor

large member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First up: Skywalker

Skywalker – (Skywalker Kush DNA – Mephisto Selection x Triangle Kush Automatic)

Project introduction -

The Skywalker auto project was something which in a sense we stumbled into, growing from feminised seeds, as breeders, is a practise we tend to shy away from, unless they have been produced by us. Of course, we know they can be produced in a decent, stable way, as we do and there can most definitely be fire lurking within. It's just wherever possible we like to have the option to see the boys too and get our teeth stuck into the genetics.

So just prior to our first outdoor season after moving countries, 4 years ago now, having little to no stability we were faced with a situation of needing to go balls to the wall and fully exploit what could possibly have been our only chance at a true summer outdoor in a good climate.

I guess you could say it was our own take on freedom 35, (anyone not familiar with freedom 35, open another tab and google it please.)

We raided our extensive seed collection, years and years in the making, Yes, we're hoarders and seed addicts too, in which, amongst others, we had 5x 6 fem seed packs of Dna Genetics Reserva Privada range 'Skywalker Kush'. We also started in excess of 50 other strains at that point in time for general and outdoor evaluation.

Skip forward past the summer season which we survived, some varities stood tall and stood the test, others fell, but out of it we'd found an absolute gem of a skywalker kush mother. We hit upon an indica dominant phenotype, not too stretchy, responded well to high stress training, thick stout branches were difficult to tie down, not typical of the others we played with, but untypical is what we're all about. She was early into flower outside, bushy as you like, and inside one of the highest quality all-round photoperiods we've grown.

In total we ran her outdoors for 2 seasons, and succesively inside, denoted by an INTENSE OG aroma, sedative, mindmelding, facemelting effect, good yield for an OG derivative, hard flowers and very manageable growth pattern for an OGK, it was a no-brainer to set about making an autoflowering version.

Skywalker kush cut outdoors
picture.php

In 2014 the f1 cross was made using pollen from our Auto Triangle Kush F4. We felt the lineage's involved and similarities therein would be highly complimentary and the aim was to further intensify the already high quality of our triangle kush with a strain we just couldn't put down. And well worthy for the inception of the Mephisto Artisanal Automatics line.

The Skywalker Kush was memorable to all of our friends we shared the flowers with, we still get asked about it now, frequently. '....is..., is...is there any Skywalker?'
Only after these few years of work can we finally answer, yes she's back, in AUTO form.

F1
picture.php

The selections for the F2 cross were made in late 2014, cropped in early 2015, We grew 30 or so of the F1's out indoors, this was narrowed down to 9 females, from these just one was pollinated.
When the on-set of flowering begins in the skywalker the leaves coming out of each budset appear slightly crinkled to the eye, along with distinctive aroma, and several sessions of rubbing stems, one lady was selected to carry the F2 seeds.

When harvest time came, I took a seeded top cola to Tim, I made him close his eyes, not touch, and slowly placed it under his nostrils, and said 'give me one word', His answer: 'Skywalker!'
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Also I neglected to mention, the Bubblehash processed from our skywalker cut was absolutely sublime, and hands down the oiliest product we have ever ran. So so melty.

The F2 seeds were ran in spring 2015, 70+ were started, which gave us 10 auto skywalker females to work with, two were pollinated, a stockier hench cola'd lady, squat with thick indica/afghan leaves, and a more open elongated skywalker, with slender buds but oozing resin and terps.

This more slender girl was the candidate who's seeds were chosen to run at f3. The seeded candidates were finished inside whilst the rejects were placed in a greenhouse to finish up the remainder of their days.

The F3 seeds were ran in autumn 2015, 70+ were started, 20 females made the grade to run to completion, the finest 3 were selected for pollination to bring the F4 feminised Artisanal seeds to market.

F3
picture.php

picture.php

Nugshot
picture.php

Plant characteristics:

Our auto skywalker is mid-sized, good vigour and growing without too much foliage, by employing an easy strategy of leaf tucking, you can encourage her to shoot branches up with little to zero interference to overall growth. Her open structure allows good penetration and therefore increased yields and minimal pop-corn. Internodal length is moderate and she's very manageable.

In the flowering stage she has a very distinctive appearance, Fine leaves eminate from the flowers in an almost spikey fashion and have a tendency to curl upwards, the buds whilst not outrightly singularly large, have incredible density which later become like mini rocks that hit your tray as you trim them. The flowers are very white in apperance. They are spread evenly and give a nice flower/plant size ratio.

Odour control is an absolute must whilst growing this variety and if you travel with the finished product, a minimum of double bagging is recommended.

In house data, information and stats:

Complete cycle time: 65-70 days

Per plant yield in a 9 plant to 600w HPS arrangement, Potsize:15L, medium: Organic Soil: 50-90 grams

Size: 60-90cm in height

Structure: Medium Branchy

Aroma: Pungeant with a Capital P OG, earthy, piney, dash of lemon

Taste: Mouth coating Blend of Earthy, Pungeant and Sweet rolled into one.

Medicinal Benefits: Great for anxiety and pain relief, promotes well being.

Effect; Strong, Couchlocking, straight to the legs and straight to the head, and will take you to your own world of planet skywalker.

Flower Density: 9.5/10

Best Suited for Growing: Indoor/Greenhouse/Outdoors

Extract Returns: TBA

Cannabinoids: TBA

cheers! the next 3 to follow in the coming days, mitch

5th

Veteran
freedom 35 eh? Didn't know you boys got Netflix out in the sticks. ...daily life for some of us. What with the going to jail at the end of the fuckin' season n' all.

I'll pm ya the deets, looking for something Lat. specific.

Deals eh? ....now I gotta google wtf an instagram is...

Latest posts

Latest posts