What's new

MilehighGuy's Organic Soil Journal

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:yeahthats

Considering getting the 2 gal container next time. :D Can we get some Ful-Power application details MHG? Dilution, frequency, .. Just watered, or foliar..?

What did the mycorrhizae set ya back? I've been using something similar, but was considering not getting more once I ran out, .. I've since started using Orca, and it seems to work as well as the Mykos.. ?

I like this place :dance:

Edit: Is that a playing card as a tag? Like, a real-live, laminatedish paper playing card?

Mister_D

Veteran
Also curious how you are diluting your ful-power. I mix it at 5ml per gal. Keeps things nice and available even when the ph is less than ideal :biggrin:. Plants seem to dig it in general. Ever tried their ful-humix? I love that shit if you are reusing your media, seems like it takes a few months to break down.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
:yeahthats

Considering getting the 2 gal container next time. :D Can we get some Ful-Power application details MHG? Dilution, frequency, .. Just watered, or foliar..?

What did the mycorrhizae set ya back? I've been using something similar, but was considering not getting more once I ran out, .. I've since started using Orca, and it seems to work as well as the Mykos.. ?

I like this place :dance:

Edit: Is that a playing card as a tag? Like, a real-live, laminatedish paper playing card?

I've never used Ful-Power before, but I'm excited to have it in my arsenal. I'll be following the Manufacturers Recommendations when I go to apply for the first time.

I have read that the Endo Mycorrhizae Glomulus intradicces are very good for cannabis. I've heard that you can purchase it as concentrated as 3200 spores per gram.... but I didn't purchase any.

I calculated white shark at about 145 per gram and while they do use some endo's they are also using ecto mycorrhizae that aren't beneficial to our plants. Plus EXPENSIVE!

This 2lb package was 25.00 with free shipping and are the type I wanted to use.

Orca won't tell me whats in it on their website and you know how I feel about that... I'm out!

Oh Yeah... and Those are Playing Cards!!!! Not Just for Bicycle spokes.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Also curious how you are diluting your ful-power. I mix it at 5ml per gal. Keeps things nice and available even when the ph is less than ideal :biggrin:. Plants seem to dig it in general. Ever tried their ful-humix? I love that shit if you are reusing your media, seems like it takes a few months to break down.

Been using TM-7. Never use the Ful-Humix before.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I've never used Ful-Power before, but I'm excited to have it in my arsenal. I'll be following the Manufacturers Recommendations when I go to apply for the first time.

I have read that the Endo Mycorrhizae Glomulus intradicces are very good for cannabis. I've heard that you can purchase it as concentrated as 3200 spores per gram.... but I didn't purchase any.

I calculated white shark at about 145 per gram and while they do use some endo's they are also using ecto mycorrhizae that aren't beneficial to our plants. Plus EXPENSIVE!

This 2lb package was 25.00 with free shipping and are the type I wanted to use.

Orca won't tell me whats in it on their website and you know how I feel about that... I'm out!

Oh Yeah... and Those are Playing Cards!!!! Not Just for Bicycle spokes.

Interesting - I forget what I was paying for the Mykoz, .. It was $20-25, but I can't remember if that was for one or two lbs. Probably one, those f*ckers.

Orca has no ectos, .. I'm on the way out the door to the office now, but I'll snap a photo of the back of the Orca bottle - it's got the whole list of goodness on the back..

FWIW, I use the Ful-Power in my blumat rez at 5 ml/gal. Mister_D said he was using it at higher concentrations initially, but didn't see any additional benefit beyond 5 ml.

Do the playing cards hold up the entire cycle? I'd imagine that at some point, the moisture would get to 'em.. ?

MileHighGuy

Veteran

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358381371.245449.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358381389.461723.jpg

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Orca

picture.php

Not sure how helpful/readable it is, but ..

Edit: For whatever reason, the Orca appeals to me v the granulated mykoz-type products is that I can simply water it in, .. With the Mykoz, I believe the recommended application is to sprinkle ~ 1-2 TBSP on the fresh soil when transplanting - to ideally (I think) come in direct contact with the roots.

I also seem to recall an alternative application, not just at transplants, but to poke holes into the top of the soil, sprinkle the granules down in 'em, cover 'em back up, and water.. ?

Now that I'm typing it out aloud, I'm wondering if it's really just laziness to me. Though I do like the idea of being able to apply the Orca as needed/wanted, PRN, for ya MD- or pharmacy-types.. :)

CC, any insight as to the benefits of one application type or the other? I'll be honest - while I've seen a marked improvement with the Orca (not so much w the granules, actually), I couldn't tell you what I'd "look for" to tell me, "Hey, I oughtta give 'em another blast."

I just hit 'em intermittently, but I wonder if it's more often to make myself feel better about it, rather than the ladies..?

:dunno:

Edited edit for editing: Final thought. Let's pretend all else is equal (which it ain't), but let's just talk about cents for a sec.

The bottle of Orca is ~ 470 ml. Application rate for dirt is 5 ml/gal. So a $40 bottle will treat 94 gallons. That's about $.43 per gal.

Um. Shit. Now I feel like my eye is off the ball. Should we be talking about number of gallons (and whatever that equates to in the granular form, hellifiknow), or number of applications? Number of applications might be a better metric when comparing the granules.. ?

Christ. Someone smarter, help please.

Last edited:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I hope those playing cards hold... ?? haha

Those photos are of the hanging Afghan Kush Skunk... That I am in love with.

From MicrobeMan on another forum:

"We all know that there is a plethora of products on the market with super attractive labeling and names. Super Ecto Screaming Eagle Myco, is fictional but representative of the crap one is confronted with. In reality if you are serious about getting endomycorrhizal fungi to colonize the roots of your plants you should know that, according to current science of which I am aware, there are only two known endomycorrhizal fungi species which colonize the roots of cannabis/hemp.

They are Glomus Intraradices and Glomus Mosseae. If you are looking for the maximum potential to colonize roots of this species, your chances go up with the higher spore/propagule count per gram. Unless you have a mix specifically formulated I know of no product which includes only these two fungal species. Because Intraradices has been shown (through studies) to be a relatively easy colonizer of most endo-type plants world wide, it is logical to consider using it as a stand alone mycorrhizal inoculant (if you live in North America), because;
1/ It is produced in North America
2/ one can get (in bulk) powder based products at a spore/propagule count of 3200 per gram 1,452,800 per pound or a liquid product at 2,000,000 spores/propagules per gram (available as agricultural products > Increase your yield with MYKE® PRO mycorrhizae ). To get Glomus Mosseae at such densities would be very challenging. [I’m hoping that this will be available in smaller packages in 2012, at least higher than 200 spores/gram]

Your best bet to get colonization is to apply the spores to the seeds or prepared cutting and/or the roots at planting time. There are apparently some studies showing that it can take up to 6 weeks for the full benefits of infection to be measurable which has led some to conclude that endomycorrhizal fungi is not that useful in the normally fast paced growth 'pattern' of indoor grown cannabis. This is by all means not even close to being 100% factual. I have yet to satisfy myself of this issue one way or the other, having read some studies indicating early infection/colonization. [I will attempt to update the thread later if I learn something relevant to this]

The foregoing is not intended to imply that there are only two types of fungi which will ever associate with cannabis. Far from it. There are many species of mycorrhizal fungi, yet unidentified and as usual scientists are only scraping the surface in the research in this area. There may well be fungal species growing in the field behind your house which are indigenous endomycorrhizal fungi (or dark septate endophytes or…?) which may associate with cannabis/hemp just fine. What I have outlined is simply your most logical route to success if you are going to buy the spores."

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Good stuff MHG - thanks for bringin' the knowledge! :tiphat:

So I'm getting that, as best we know, there are really only two types of fungi we're lookin' for, .. ? So that slew on the back of my bottle of Orca may be round pegs and we've got a square hole..

Also interesting in re: the reference point for spore count per gram. What were the details of your granules? What type of fungus, what spore count per g, etc..? Do you plan to supplement with some granular of the other fungus we're interested in?

Lastly.. Application? :)

And someone, please do rap my knuckles if I'm even regurgitating this incorrectly..

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Mine are only 134 Spores Per Gram...

But this product is only 15 Per Gram and is supposed to be really good.

http://www.usemykepro.com/mykepro-product-mycorrhizae/myke-pro-greenhouse-g-agriculture.aspx

This product below is the one that I believe MicrobeMan was referring to.

http://www.usemykepro.com/mykepro-product-mycorrhizae/myke-pro-ps3-specialty-crops.aspx

This one is a mix with liquid and dunk style.... has 3200 spores per gram.

I'm going to have to do some more reading and see why such a huge difference?

It seems like the application is different based on what you are doing.

I'll be using only at transplant.... and maybe after reading more... also at the seedling stage. I'll update some of my findings later!

MileHighGuy

Veteran

Thanks Cootz!

This is what I found over at BioAg.

Active Ingredients:

Glomus intraradices..104propagules/gm

Glomus deserticola.. 9 propagules/gm

Glomus etunicatum... 9 propagules/gm

Glomus clarum...........9 propagules/gm

Glomus claroidium.....9 propagules/gm

Glomus mosseae.......9 propagules/gm

Gigaspora albida....... 9 propagules/gm

Was going to go with their product. But Went with the Glomus intraradices only.

Would love it if MM chimed in here.... Maybe I'll PM him tonight when I get off work.

Either way, I'm glad to be using something as opposed to nothing.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
But Went with the Glomus intraradices only

All of the products containing this specific spore use the one from Premier Horticulture Labs (Premier Peat, Pro-Mix) and they sell it to companies like Mycorrhizal Applications, BioAg, etc.

The difference is that only BioAg is upfront on the source. The myriad of products from Mycorrhizal Applications in Grants Pass, Oregon are rebadged (relabeled) and appear under Roots Organic (Aurora Innovations), Advanced Nutrients, etc.

One of the biggest scams going - period.

HTH

CC

EDIT: Check your PM

Last edited:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Researching Earth Worms Castings as I'm sure it will be awhile before I have an abundance of my own.

Found this company and my Local Farmers Co-op

Soil Mender - Earth Worm Castings

http://www.soilmender.com/products/supplements/wormcastings.php

Soil Mender Wormcastings
natural soil amendment
Available in 5 lb, 10 lb 5 gal and 10 gal bags.
Soil Mender Wormcastings are one of the highest quality wormcastings available today. Unlike castings made from worms that consume strictly garbage, paper, and other waste products, these are from worms that feast on a banquet of five manures, peanut hulls, oak leaves, humate, and more. This creates an excellent casting. Soil Mender Wormcastings is great for potting, planting, and general soil enhancement. This product will not burn or harm your plants.

I can get 20 GALLONS for under $40 and there is no shipping I just pick it up.

Anyone Use them before?