What's new

MilehighGuy's Organic Soil Journal

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Alright! I just took the gloves off.

After Trimming my Afghan Kush Skunk and then letting it get completely dry and ready for the jar.... there were 4 ounces and 3 grams.... plus the other 14 grams that I smoked early... and weighed just to make sure I could keep a tally going.

Stoked to get a QP plus some from 1 plant crowded under a 600 watter with 3 other plants.

Anyways, I'm more stoked that I eyeballed it and said... that's a QP... I'd bet money on it.

:dance:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Researching Earth Worms Castings as I'm sure it will be awhile before I have an abundance of my own.

Found this company and my Local Farmers Co-op

Soil Mender - Earth Worm Castings

http://www.soilmender.com/products/supplements/wormcastings.php

Soil Mender Wormcastings
natural soil amendment
Available in 5 lb, 10 lb 5 gal and 10 gal bags.
Soil Mender Wormcastings are one of the highest quality wormcastings available today. Unlike castings made from worms that consume strictly garbage, paper, and other waste products, these are from worms that feast on a banquet of five manures, peanut hulls, oak leaves, humate, and more. This creates an excellent casting. Soil Mender Wormcastings is great for potting, planting, and general soil enhancement. This product will not burn or harm your plants.

I can get 20 GALLONS for under $40 and there is no shipping I just pick it up.

Anyone Use them before?

No. .. ?

But that's a fantastically timed question. I was at the shop last weekend, and they had Roots worm castings on some super duper mega sale. Regularly $40 for 20lb (I think? Maybe 15), on sale for .. whatever. (Ended up skipping it on gut feel, "shiny object" presentation, general cheapness, and less than impressive results from Roots products IME)

But it got me to thinking, .. I understand that what worms eat determines the quality of their, erm, output, ..

And the next thought is, I'd love to know of any known brands/sources of particularly well-fed worms.. :)

:thank you:

Edit: Oh! MHG - great news on the harvey! Pardon my lack of attention (see "shiny object"), but how long did you take her?

She looks beautiful. Are you using any fancypants app to take that photo on your iPhone? It looks sort of filtered-ish, .. And I'm also pretty impressed with the up-closeishness of it!

My zillion dollar camera doesn't do that. And my iPhone 5, I'd like to throw through a window most days. :)

Double edit: Holy cowness. $15 for 5 lbs, plus shipping? :yoinks:

20 lb of Wiggle Worm, for reference, is about $15-20 'round here.

How's that rank in terms of quality, and (separately) value?

MileHighGuy

Veteran
I'm at work... so I can't type much until tonight...

BUT!

Double edit: Holy cowness. $15 for 5 lbs, plus shipping?

No No No! I wouldn't pay retail.

I get my supplies from a place that provides for all the farmers around here.

I'm getting 20 GALLONS for less than $40.00

That should equate to closer to 100 Pounds.... But We will see when I go to pick the turds up.

Eh. Gotta run, see you peeps tonight

MileHighGuy

Veteran

And here is a basket O' buds.... Growing up I always wanted to have a big basket for all my friends to smoke as much as they wanted.... Lets just say that my plan is working :) haha they go into the jar tonight though.

4.5 ounces of yumminess

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358610647.036465.jpg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
"We all know that there is a plethora of products on the market with super attractive labeling and names. Super Ecto Screaming Eagle Myco, is fictional but representative of the crap one is confronted with. In reality if you are serious about getting endomycorrhizal fungi to colonize the roots of your plants you should know that, according to current science of which I am aware, there are only two known endomycorrhizal fungi species which colonize the roots of cannabis/hemp"

^^^^word

MileHighGuy

Veteran

Stoked!

My 20 gallon brute reservoir that I made and am no longer using came in handy.

Turns out the feed tube I installed to the bottom of the trash can was the right size for my air pump.

I was able to remove my 5 way splitter and air stone.

Now massive amounts of air flow into the bottom of the can and it works nice!

20 gallons clean filtered water
2 cups buffaloam compost
5.5 cups of earth worm castings
1 and 2/3 cups molasses
Less than a cup of alfalfa
And 1/5 cup fish emulsion

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358731529.202353.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358731547.618738.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358731568.685533.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358731594.936093.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358731583.519049.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358731583.519049.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
So i picked up my big bag of worm Poo at the Farmers Co-op today.

10 Gallons = 1.33 Cubic Feet for $34.00

At the Hydro Store:

Roots Organics Big Worm 1 Cubic Foot = $40.00

I think I found my worm castings for now... until I can make enough of my own.

company is called soilmender

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Also, finished my first tea brew in the 20 gallon machine.

Next time I'm going with 12 gallons.

I did some research from Microbeorganics.com about dissolved oxygen and the size of air pump.... I have the smaller pump so I think 20 gallons was a bit much.

Either way, my kelp meal just showed up in the mail yesterday, so I have an excuse to run another Compost tea.

Jumpin' onboard Mile High.

This was awesome:

"Growing up I always wanted to have a big basket for all my friends to smoke as much as they wanted.... Lets just say that my plan is working :) haha"

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Jumpin' onboard Mile High.

This was awesome:

"Growing up I always wanted to have a big basket for all my friends to smoke as much as they wanted.... Lets just say that my plan is working :) haha"

:yeahthats

But now I'm all grown up, with a big basket of weed, .. And no weed smokin' friends, .. ?!

:dunno:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
You have plenty of friends that toke right here!

I'll smoke one in your honor right now.

:smokebigolbongtokeforsilver:

Repeat.gif

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Score! Had a $100 Amazon Gift Card that I needed to use.

Grabbed a Bokashi Compost Bucket system.

200 Worms

50 Worm Cocoons

Now where is that Mail Man?

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Was having a discussion with a guy that works at my local Hydo-shop. He is a master gardener and I tend to ask him questions to see how his answers compare to my own research... and how much of working at the shop has rubbed off on him.

I mentioned the use of Sphagnum Peat Moss and the higher quality bails available over the Pro-Mix in the Shop.

He then proceeded to tell me all about sporotrichosis and how I should be very careful about this dangerous disease.... after all, that's why no one uses sphagnum in big nurseries any more and it's a big deal!!!!

I knew this couldn't be true, so I said.... Can't be... But I'll do the research.

Turns out he was WAY OFF..... not that bad of a disease and also DOES NOT come from Sphagnum Peat Moss.... only from Living Peat Moss.... the layer above Sphagnum.

Always Weird mis-information out there.... it's like 99% of what I hear is wrong.... Can't believe I listened to so many people without any questions before.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Had a few bucks left on my amazon gift card so I grabbed a copy of One Straw Revolution.... Really looking forward to re-reading it. If you haven't already.... I highly recommend it.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
hey bro. mind if i wallow in your mellow?
seeins how you got the minds in here holdin hands.
i can pick up some tidbits while watching you grow...

handyandy

Your brewer looks awsome!!
I have been getting great results with headyblunts airlift brewer set up in a 5 gal. bucket. I brew with 1/2 cup worm casting, 1/2 cup vermi compost, 1/2 cup healthy dirt from the middle of the woods.
1 gal RO H2O with 1tbs Black strap molasas(well mixed) 3 gals RO H2O. This is my base and twice in flower I add bat guano to the mix and only brew for 24 hrs with guano and 48 hrs without, either way I take a good old smell of the mix when it is done. If it smells like wet cherioes it worked well but if smells like a fart the I toss It but that has only happened once.

I had a spider mite problem then I started using teas and my plants health seemes to keep the mites from beeing a problem anymore.

Hope you don't mind my coments or pics. This is my Kushberry in front and G13 in back

handyandy

Was having a discussion with a guy that works at my local Hydo-shop. He is a master gardener and I tend to ask him questions to see how his answers compare to my own research... and how much of working at the shop has rubbed off on him.

I mentioned the use of Sphagnum Peat Moss and the higher quality bails available over the Pro-Mix in the Shop.

He then proceeded to tell me all about sporotrichosis and how I should be very careful about this dangerous disease.... after all, that's why no one uses sphagnum in big nurseries any more and it's a big deal!!!!

I knew this couldn't be true, so I said.... Can't be... But I'll do the research.

Turns out he was WAY OFF..... not that bad of a disease and also DOES NOT come from Sphagnum Peat Moss.... only from Living Peat Moss.... the layer above Sphagnum.

Always Weird mis-information out there.... it's like 99% of what I hear is wrong.... Can't believe I listened to so many people without any questions before.

I agree, Around here Home Depot has the same pro mix but with out as much perlite for $12.00 for a BALE of peat. or go to the hydro store and able of promix hp (same co. diff. bag) $50.00
only difference I see is the hydro store keeps their soil inside so less soil knats. I use crabshell meal now so next time I need some fresh peat I will go to home depot. I don't think it will be soon though Recycled soil seems to keep getting better each round.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
hey bro. mind if i wallow in your mellow?
seeins how you got the minds in here holdin hands.
i can pick up some tidbits while watching you grow...

Come on in! The water is warm. Glad to have you lurkin around these parts.

Your brewer looks awsome!!
I have been getting great results with headyblunts airlift brewer set up in a 5 gal. bucket. I brew with 1/2 cup worm casting, 1/2 cup vermi compost, 1/2 cup healthy dirt from the middle of the woods.
1 gal RO H2O with 1tbs Black strap molasas(well mixed) 3 gals RO H2O. This is my base and twice in flower I add bat guano to the mix and only brew for 24 hrs with guano and 48 hrs without, either way I take a good old smell of the mix when it is done. If it smells like wet cherioes it worked well but if smells like a fart the I toss It but that has only happened once.

I had a spider mite problem then I started using teas and my plants health seemes to keep the mites from beeing a problem anymore.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=39447&pictureid=933222&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41441&pictureid=985011&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
Hope you don't mind my coments or pics. This is my Kushberry in front and G13 in back

I Def. Don't mind the photos and updates. I was thinking about building an Airlift brewer of some sort.... but I'm just gonna rock mine out until I can buy one from MicrobeMan along with one of his kick ass microscopes with filters.

I agree, Around here Home Depot has the same pro mix but with out as much perlite for $12.00 for a BALE of peat. or go to the hydro store and able of promix hp (same co. diff. bag) $50.00
only difference I see is the hydro store keeps their soil inside so less soil knats. I use crabshell meal now so next time I need some fresh peat I will go to home depot. I don't think it will be soon though Recycled soil seems to keep getting better each round.

Hydro Stores..... Now when I go in there I have to bite my tongue the whole time so as not to piss of the owners and the clientele.

When massive discussions are going on all around you about flavor enhancers and the exact aspects of flushing Chemicals out of your plants.... it gets to be to much and I have to leave.

Nice thing is! I almost never ever go in there now. I just don't need anything else anymore. Especially now that I found Worm Castings at the Farmer Co-Op.

:dance013: