What's new

midwest growers unite

L

luaith

heres the BlueSat2.2 that will be used.
the best of the two females i have.
smells really strong and feels very gummy...looks good to.
48611IMG_0745.JPG

Oscuridad

INsane thread blake, so many gorgeous looking plants.. Elite Gen. stuff really comes out nice yea? Enjoy your rewards man, clearly well deserved for all the work you must have put in keeping them looking so topnotch.
Be sure to report back with some thoughts on what your favorites were.. the feedback would be awesome for anyone interested in Greens' stuff. Again.. great shit, I'll be sure to comment in your Candyland thread.

lu that bs is looking proper, seems you definitely know how to work your magic with that soilmix.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
problem found

problem found

bulb blew, i didnt know since i thought the lights were off. this in turn caused the capacitor to start shorting out and burning, or vice versa the capacitor went and the bulb blew, but both are blown. the OGs and G13xBurms seem okay with no signs of hermies after being in the dark for 3 days, yield will prolly be low now but i got something in the end to make up for it :wink:

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
PC: Yeah, i've heard of the paintbrush method, dj short uses it. my problem is that i only have the one flowering chamber, so i have to keep males with the females in there if i want pollen. :confused: there's gonna be incidental pollination with the fan i have in there... i dont mind a few different crosses, i just dont want fully seeded bud, as in more seed than bud...
I forgot to ask you, is that some sort of insulation you use to hold your clones in the netcups? i use hydroton like most people, but i dont like the fact that its easy to spill. im assuming the insulation lets the trunk grow and expand?

LU: Your plants look so happy that im tempted to switch to organic soil.
:rasta: do you think it makes a big difference in taste?
Dontstepongrass just got a homebox xl, running flouros in there. is it easy to mount a fan and filter in there, or do you have odor control outside, in the room?
btw, sorry to see your sox go down. they put a good fight though. at least you're not a cub fan. im not one really, cause i refuse to get my heart broken that much.

BN: Nice outdoor grow, Blake. Posted there and repped you.

AB: I would think that in a pinch you could get some flouros from home depot or walmart and use that to get you by until you can pick up another ballast. good luck, and if you ever have the opportunity to acquire more than one ballast for cheap, jump on it! :rasta:

Update on the Super Star: so far only 1/3 cracked after 48 hours :badday: but i put the dish on top of a ballast and will give it another day or two. I hope i get a female. :joint:
On the bright side, I did get JLP's Og kush bx x SD IBL! Seven beautiful seeds. will crack 3-4 of them soon, as soon as the superstar crack (or dont).

Bud shot of a flo 38 days of 12/12. not bad, hope they get a lot fatter (and they should :rasta: ). figure they got another 30 days/4 weeks more? flo doesn't make huge fat colas, more spear shaped as advertised, but it's still quality smoke.

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
baba - i just got the homebox xl dialed in... with the 4 ft 8 bulb t5 in it, i have (2) 6" passive ducts bringin in outside air and (2) 4" ducts for exhaust, each running to a stanley blower based airbox with hot air then exiting the room that tent is in.

plants for the homebox are almost ready, rooted clones in peat pellets have been transplanted in cups of dirt and are in the half-way dome (holds around 55-65% RH, as opposed to rooting dome which is 90%+ RH)

PLUS i got this thick ass indica bitch i wanna flower out. i've grown a few clones out of it and while its not the end all be all strain, it has a very pleasant taste and decent potency coupled with fat ass leaves and insane dense colas that tip plants over if not careful lol. i'm anxious to see how the mom with 10+ tops packs on the weight... :rasta:

also, don't forget about the sdog's... i still have those to germ. any of u guys pop those yet? is the smell really that intense? my flower boxes got all the odor control, the veg odor control is minimal and i am curious to see what u guys r experiencing as far as gas station aromas lol

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
i dont think fluoros would have an effect on them after being underneath a 6. but, the issue has been fixed temporarily, as the crew has got my back in this time of need. to that person, i owe you quite a couple ones :joint:

PhilCuisine

Mofo SWC/TRON Master
ICMag Donor
Mother Nature can work for you....

Mother Nature can work for you....

Bababooey said:
PC: Yeah, i've heard of the paintbrush method, dj short uses it. my problem is that i only have the one flowering chamber, so i have to keep males with the females in there if i want pollen. :confused: there's gonna be incidental pollination with the fan i have in there... i dont mind a few different crosses, i just dont want fully seeded bud, as in more seed than bud...
I forgot to ask you, is that some sort of insulation you use to hold your clones in the netcups? i use hydroton like most people, but i dont like the fact that its easy to spill. im assuming the insulation lets the trunk grow and expand?

:joint: I remember when i had 1 tron just for flowering and i gots males , u wanna know what i did?...i took the males out of the tron and put it in my kitchen window so mother nature can shine on her for 12/12, it's that time of the year. this year i gots 1 male, 2 hermies, 2 females out of 5 seeds..the male showed its sex 1st. so i chopped it when it was about 7 inches and full of unopened flowers and put it on my kitchen window sill in a cup of water. as the weeks past the flowers would open up and i would collect the pollens. the 2 hermies i tossed and kept the 2 females which are now in revegg mode. as far as the net cups, yes they are the pink styrofoam insulation, i used to use lava rocks but ditch them b/c this is so much easier..I found that once the roots gets established in the buckets it keeps the whole plant stable. i've had plants grow to 5ft. with just styro foam and net cups. as the plants gets bigger and the main stem gets thicker the styro foam anchors the plant...Hope this helps. :asskick:

Ps, over the years i've been growing the set it and forget it way....I have all the meters ph and ppms, ph up, ph down but in the past 4 years i have not used them....i let the plants tell me what they need..i dont bother with my ph or ppms..i use the water straight from the tap...growing pot should be easy...its a weed folks. in order for this to work your enviorment(growroom) must be in optimum conditions...one more thing..what works for me might not work for you guys....you have to do your own experiment, I did 5yrs. ago so now my life has gotten so much easier when it comes to growing some of the best strains this side of the Mississippi.....Hope this helps. :violin:

edit: I use lake michigan water straight from tap ppms are usually 150 to 200

Last edited:

dixbutler

Yea I'm going to try the perpetual sog in the fridge. I'm waiting on my bulb., and have my last four beans sprouted. I'll use the cuttings to clone the other 26. I'm trying to start every 10 days, but without cuttings I've got some bag seed in papertowel for the 2nd set. I will probably have to do the same on 3rd set. By then hopefully I will have cuttings. I'll get some pics soon of the fridge. I think I'm going to turn the old fridge into a mother/clone box. I'll go CFL there with bubbling buckets for the moms and the DIY bubbling cloner.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
DS: Good to hear you got your new toy set up. :rasta: Did it take a long time? your odor control sounds complicated. thats why i like my carbon scrubber; i futzed around with all that ducting and clamps and fans and tape. now i just have 6 inch duct fans for intake and outtake for the closet. my lights are in air cooled hoods but i took those down, the closet was cooler with just the intake and outtake. the carbon scrubber in the room takes care of odor, and i make sure to have no visitors :joint:

AB: Glad you got your issue fixed. i dont have an extra ballast or i would have offered it, plus it's likely we dont live near each other.

PC: Keeping the males in sunlight is an idea, but i dont rightly know if i feel comfortable leaving an mj plant around my house other than in my grow room. i wouldnt have to do it for long, though, and i could hide it.... maybe, just maybe. i imagine you only get a little bit of pollen, but you can cut that with flour, right? if i pollinate a small branch, how many seeds can i expect? 20? 50? i guess it depends on a lot of factors also...
Nice cutway view of the insulation. what's that plastic beneath the insulation. some sort of children's rubber mat or toy? ive seen those used before in aero cloners... im gonna have to buy some of that insulation. only bad part is they come too big, like 8' sheets. no prob, buy one and never have to buy another for years...
i use lake michigan water too, in chicago. they say we have pretty good tap water. do you think ro water for us would be a waste, not make much difference?
im trying to get like you. ive heard that growing gets simpler the more experience you are at it. like the more you know, the smaller your nute shelf gets. :rasta: ive heard of growers who can tell when to feed by ph alone, like if it falls then you need to feed, if it rises you need to dilute, or vice versa.
im trying to get to that point. but im liking my ph and ec meters for now :joint: , even though its a pain to check every day (although, i do enjoy spending the time with the plants, if only to check them out). i haven't noticed a huge correlation between ph and ec, except maybe if ph falls by a lot quickly, you may need to feed.
how do you get by without correcting ph? chicago water is neutral to slightly basic, 7.0+, i dont know if i could get by without correcting ph at all. your roots look nice and white regardless...

2 of three Super Stars have cracked, one of them just a nubbin.

Flo, 39 days of 12/12.

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
DR60 w/ 400w Cooltube, Phat Filter, and Stanley Blower

SFV OG - Week 5

SFV OG - Budshot

THE WHITE/TRIANGLE - Week 5

THE WHITE - Budshot 1

THE WHITE - Budshot 2

KKSC Pheno 2 - Week 5

KKSC Pheno 1 - Week 2

JTR Pink Lemonade - Week 5

JTR Pink Lemonade - Budshot

JTR Lemango - Week 5

JTR Lemango - Budshot

PURPLE WRECK - Week 2 ish

PhilCuisine

Mofo SWC/TRON Master
ICMag Donor
Bababooey said:
PC: Keeping the males in sunlight is an idea, but i dont rightly know if i feel comfortable leaving an mj plant around my house other than in my grow room. i wouldnt have to do it for long, though, and i could hide it.... maybe, just maybe. i imagine you only get a little bit of pollen, but you can cut that with flour, right? if i pollinate a small branch, how many seeds can i expect? 20? 50? i guess it depends on a lot of factors also...
Nice cutway view of the insulation. what's that plastic beneath the insulation. some sort of children's rubber mat or toy? ive seen those used before in aero cloners... im gonna have to buy some of that insulation. only bad part is they come too big, like 8' sheets. no prob, buy one and never have to buy another for years...
i use lake michigan water too, in chicago. they say we have pretty good tap water. do you think ro water for us would be a waste, not make much difference?
im trying to get like you. ive heard that growing gets simpler the more experience you are at it. like the more you know, the smaller your nute shelf gets. :rasta: ive heard of growers who can tell when to feed by ph alone, like if it falls then you need to feed, if it rises you need to dilute, or vice versa.
im trying to get to that point. but im liking my ph and ec meters for now :joint: , even though its a pain to check every day (although, i do enjoy spending the time with the plants, if only to check them out). i haven't noticed a huge correlation between ph and ec, except maybe if ph falls by a lot quickly, you may need to feed.
how do you get by without correcting ph? chicago water is neutral to slightly basic, 7.0+, i dont know if i could get by without correcting ph at all. your roots look nice and white regardless...

:joint: i gots a lot of pollens from 1 male plant and i dont dance on it with flour ha ha...JK.......u can get up to 50 seeds off 1 bud thats forming. as far as the cut away rubber mat is there b/c i cut the hole to the cover of my pail way too big and the net cup just goes right through it. it keeps it from going thru and i didnt want to throw it away b/c of just a big hole. them styrofoam are huge and ur right if u do it right it will last u, it lasted for me, i still have some. I too have an RO machine for water still in the box havent even tried it. I used to haul lake michigan water to my grow room 100 miles away every week but not anymore moved my growroom a bit closer to my home. BTW, I use BC nutes and will never change. I also use advance nutes too. I got sick and tired of checking ph every damn day so i ditched them and so far its been a lot less hassle and work. I did a lot of experiment for myself just to see if it works and most of the experiments worked out my way. when ur growing in hydro have 1 bucket for an experiment the rest of the buckets u do your way(checking ph, ppm's etc.)...what do u have to lose? 1 plant but u gain a lifetime of knowledge. now that my permanent flower room is in operation I will be sprouting more seeds..paper towel method and when they sprout i will toss them in the flower room to sex..now i know what some guys are thinking...u cant do that u have to let them veg then flower them, wrong. this was another of my experiment.. rumor has it that the equator only gets 12/12 year round. by the time u revegg ur seedlings they will be mature u will see alternating nodes and then be able to get some cuttings. Hope this helps. :violin:

before pix....went into 12/12 on 10/01/08

after pix bout 3 wks. into 12/12 taken yesterday..smaller plants were put in on 10/15/08..I plan on putting 2 to 3 plants in my growroom every 2 wks. so i can have an ongoing harvest every 2 wks. BTW, I dont no the ph or ppms of the buckets and i dont really care as long as they look healthy...ur plants will tell u what they need. :asskick:

way before pix

Last edited:

PhilCuisine

Mofo SWC/TRON Master
ICMag Donor
r u ready for this....

r u ready for this....

Oscuridad said:
Perpetual setup is definitely a good way to go and I like your approach about keeping it easy.

:joint: yes, my way is very very easy....I dont even do res changes takes way too much time..I just add the bloom nutes w/out res changes. Dont underestimate Menards, Big Lots, or Dollar Tree stores i consider them stores my 2nd. hydro store ha ha. Hope this helps. :spank:

will post pix of my Schrom in my tron later when the lights go on. :asskick:

dixbutler

Sprouts

Sprouts

These are my 4 NLXBB. They have been in rockwool for about a week. As soon as my bulb arrives I will move them to their bucket in fridge under 400W HPS

dixbutler

Grow bag

Grow bag

I'm curious about the grow bags I have been seeing here. Has anyone used one as a bubbling bucket? I like the idea that they are not as rigid as a bucket. Of course that cuts both ways. Also, I am questioning my plan to have my mothers in a bubbler. Any thoughts?