What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

the gnome

Veteran
so what strains are you guys running under the MH?
only one or multiple?
been said many times in this thread, strain/genetics,
that's going to be your deciding factor on many things.
many have said MH didn't do in bloom on some of their strains...
and other strains did much better over their hps
as did my CSG (abusive x diesel#1) X chem bX2 that broke my record for yield.

also curious what K rating is on your bulbs.
I used a solar max 7200K, way heavy on the blue end
against a my hi end super hps horti eye @3100K ??
reading above someone is using a sunmaster warm MH-3200K which is about right on par with my horti hps.
the best all Mh grow Ive seen is in this thread, vaped13 and I think his Mh bulb is a 5000K bulb.?

lots of variables, a big one being strain

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guess I would believe you, especially yield wise. How does the color and resin production look on both? I'm going for a combo of MH & HPS to get the best of both worlds - yield and quality. Plants still get a fuller spectrum that way, like in autumn the sun isn't "yellow or red" all day - especially around noon time.

They are only a week and a half in, but as far as internode production and stem thickness the hps side is better. the mh side has less internodes, but the ones it has are more tightly packed.

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
i run 1000w digilux's and the things are brighter than any other bulb ive ever used

i use to run hortilux bulbs, needless to say i dont anymore hahaha

i dont think any other bulb runs 155,000 lumens either

bowzer

just buy bulbs that say they are designed for optimal plant growth and most times you wont be disappointed.
I use the cheapest i can find on ebay that are for growing palnts and I do this at 2:1 hps:mh, personally use 400w hps and 250w mh sid by side in my 4x5 flower room. works great.

MOST important thing GENETICS, a good SOIL and a quality FERTILIZER.

Happy tokie on da good smokie!!!!!! peace

Here's my current grow, Sunmaster Cool Deluxe on the left, Ushio HPS on the right. Someone on another forum told me that using 2 different lights like this will stress the plants.. I'm not so sure about that, what do you guys think?

gallery_4568_3425_1636117.jpg

T

TREE KING

i just tried using a 1000 watt sunmaster cool deluxe in the first 3 weeks of flower and it didnt go very good. it took my plants longer to flower and bud production and veg growth was slower. it was crazy as soon as i switched back to a hortilux hps bud production sped up immediately. the overall flower time is gonna be longer this crop because of the mh. theres a guy named aeokrafter that tried using the mh also and he got the same results as me im not sure what bulb he used though.because of this il be sticking with hps from day 1 and il be using trellis netting to keep the plants from reaching a certain height so stretch wont be a problem.

i dont know if il have different results with the solarmax 7200K but im sticking with the hps for now

they don't look stressed to me :smoke:

are they all the same strain?

No the far left top and bottom are Purple Marty and OG Kush (bottom) The other 6 are all AK47

i just tried using a 1000 watt sunmaster cool deluxe in the first 3 weeks of flower and it didnt go very good. it took my plants longer to flower and bud production and veg growth was slower. it was crazy as soon as i switched back to a hortilux hps bud production sped up immediately. the overall flower time is gonna be longer this crop because of the mh. theres a guy named aeokrafter that tried using the mh also and he got the same results as me im not sure what bulb he used though.because of this il be sticking with hps from day 1 and il be using trellis netting to keep the plants from reaching a certain height so stretch wont be a problem.

i dont know if il have different results with the solarmax 7200K but im sticking with the hps for now

I was kind of worried about that, I won't let them go to long if they are not on par with the ones under the HPS. So far though they really like the Sunmaster, for veg anyways. This pic is day 6 of 12/12 and they are all showing pistils now under both lights.

T

TREE KING

No the far left top and bottom are Purple Marty and OG Kush (bottom) The other 6 are all AK47

I was kind of worried about that, I won't let them go to long if they are not on par with the ones under the HPS. So far though they really like the Sunmaster, for veg anyways. This pic is day 6 of 12/12 and they are all showing pistils now under both lights.

no doubt keep a close on them i noticed a huge difference and my mh bulb is brand new compared to an old hortilux hps bulb

heres the post from aerokrafter that i was talkin about

"The MH first 14 days experiment has been interesting. Results are far from in, but here are my preliminary results:

The plants stayed shorter. For this plant is was about 8 -10 inches total less stretch.

Stretch seemed disproportionate to starting size. The smaller plants going in, stretched at a slower rate than larger plants. Under an HPS all the clones stretch at a simular rate. This little bit of knowledge will be helpful in planning future canopy setups.

Leaf elongation was retarded. Once the HPS went in, the leaves got their large "adult" size and shape.

Bud developement was slowed. The bud shot above looks more like a 21 day bud than the 28 days it is. The overall aggressiveness of the flowering seems the same. Another week should show us the story on this issue."
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=237140&page=26

T

TREE KING

Gahh I might just swap out the MH..worried now lol.

i hear you i dont know about other mh bulbs but the cool deluxe to me is a bulb you dont want to use for flower from the results i saw. i think someone earlier in the thread recommended a warm deluxe and gnome had good results with a solarmax 7200K

Last edited:

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
I've been rocking a MH fr the first 10 days ?? I put then in flower on the 17 ..I can vouch for
-less stretch -plants are usually stretching as soon as I put them in flower
-a bushier plant wider plant -after coming out of 24 hr veg kept them short also with t5
-all plants had pre flowers before put into flower ..but has been putting out pistols about 5-7 days in
-plants seems shiny already ..idk if its just the strain or temp + lights but I can tell there gonna be frosty

I'm gonna put in a hps at the end of week 3 ..I can't afford to lose grams bc of this light

M

Mr frost

I just use mh in veg to get good internodal spacing but when i flip to 12 i use hps. I have done side by sides and i my opinion my plants that were flowered under mh had a lot more leaves and smaller flowers as compared to the hps. as for resin count the hps has also proven suppieror in flower. but you have to consider what watts you are using weather it's a 600wt or 1000wt. the 600 wt you will get thighter flowers and often better qaulity
but with the 1000wt you will get bigger flowers. And also take into account your enviromental aspects. . and lastly their is a larger varity of bulbs that can range from across the light spectrum sum with more blue's and some with more red's so you half to take in all these plus may more variations before you can even think about comparing mh to hps.

sso

Veteran
hmm,

i dont know if i would completely skip the hps.

what i do notice however, on days i used only a mh, (mostly because of heat concerns, a 400w mh instead of a 600w hps.)

that smell was increased alot. (which could be seen as a problem in some cases. :))

resin seems to increase along with number of crystals. (buds are stickier, i am pretty sure.)

putting on the hps again, diminished smell, though due to the use of mh, was increased in comparison to hps only grows.

another difference,

under the mh, leaves grow more.

some plants seem to like the mh more than other plants.

but..

i cant tell about the yield, i have never run mh alone.

i would however , presume, that the yield would be less under a mh.

and that 7200k lamps would not have enough red.

..despite buds seeming to have more resin, im not sure if the potency is greater.

im sorta of the opinion, that a optimum light configuration, might be 600w hps with 200w of mh. (600w with 400w mh, is bit too hot and though the plants look nicer and healthier, i think 400w along with the 600 is a bit of an overkill, since i saw improvements in plant health when i added a few 23w 6500k cfls to the 600w hps. though not as much as with the 400w mh.)

however, im not suggesting anyone go out and buy an mh.

this is just something im experimenting with, i dont think i will reach a certain conclusion for possibly some years.

so far , ive only tried the 6500k generic mh bulb.

i do think, however that some pure sativa strains might benefit from a mh only scenario, since those plants hardly make any buds and seem to concentrate more on leaves (which on those strains are very smokable indeed.)

ive read this from some old time sativa growers too. (forget their names though, other site i think too.)

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A long time ago I did a test - Sylvania Super metal halide MS1000 base up compared to a HPS. I couldn't see any difference. That was back in the 70's. The Sylvania Supers have a nuetral spectrum of about 4,000 K so they work good for veg and flowering.

To me the hoods are real important also. The cone hoods with a vertical bulb don't give hot and cold spots like the hoods most of you guys use today. You might say they are somewhere between vertical (no hoods) and hoods.

Sylvania
1. Product Line: Metalarc®
2. Manufacturer Part Number: MS1000/BU-ONLY
5. Product Type: Super Metal Halide
8. Finish: Clear
10. Operating Position: Base Up ±15°
12. Length: 15 3/8"
13. Diameter: 7"
14. Watts: 1000
15. Shape: BT56
16. Base: Mogul (E39)
17. Average Life (Hours): 18000
1. Color Tone: Cool White
2. CRI: 65
3. Initial Lumens: 115,000
4. Mean Lumens: 92,000
5. ANSI Code: M47/S
6. Kelvin Temperature: 4000

I want to try out the Phillips, more light and more of a Neutral color.

Phillips
1. Manufacturer Part Number: MS1000/BU/BT37/PS

1. Color Tone: Neutral
2. CRI: 65
3. Initial Lumens: 120,000
4. Mean Lumens: 96,000
7. Kelvin Temperature: 3700

W

willyweed

thanks man.... 25+ yrs growin different ways.....now I'm usin sylvania bt56 bulbs 4000k MH for all my grows

thats was pre98 bubba kush... pulled around 12 lbs off that room... 50 plants in 6.5 quart potters... 15 x 18 room

this is another room with double diesel... 25 plants... 5 oz per plant in 6.5 quart potters... room was 10 x 10

View Image

View Image

View Image

hi there great photos ,why are those leaves curled up ,is there a reason ?many thanks just i have seen it on a couple of mine?

señorsloth

Veteran
i just wanted to pop in and say I AM IN LOVE with my new metal halide warm deluxe! going from a hortilux eye hps, i am seeing calyxes swolen bigger than ever before on both my strains and waaaaaaay more sugar, especially on my skunk, which has never been my favorite plant...now it's frosty as hell with fat calyxes and looks amazing! i'll do my best to get some identical pics of this round and last round, so i can post them here, the difference between hps and metal halide is startling, even if they don't yeild more, which i think they will, quality has taken a jump i didn't think possible...i thought i had them maxed out under hps...metal halide makes them so muuuuch better! more people need to try this!

the gnome

Veteran
i just wanted to pop in and say I AM IN LOVE with my new metal halide warm deluxe! going from a hortilux eye hps, i am seeing calyxes swolen bigger than ever before on both my strains and waaaaaaay more sugar, especially on my skunk, which has never been my favorite plant...now it's frosty as hell with fat calyxes and looks amazing! i'll do my best to get some identical pics of this round and last round, so i can post them here, the difference between hps and metal halide is startling, even if they don't yeild more, which i think they will, quality has taken a jump i didn't think possible...

i thought i had them maxed out under hps...metal halide makes them so muuuuch better! more people need to try this!

exactly what I discovered.
I thouhgt my HPS was doing fine but when i went with Mh it rocked the shit to no end!
huge increase ion wiehgt and bud size and density..
it was a side by side nite and day difference.
and everything that i believed about hps/Mh was n't the case with what I was actually seeing

what people need to realize is this seems to be all strain dependent,

so if you try a strain under Mh and it doesn't go well don't give up and think Mh is rotten for bloom
and on the flip side many plants ive grown and tossed because they didn't perform for what ever
may very well have kicked ass if =bloomed in MH.
then of cousre there's the kelvin rating.
i used a solar max 1000w with a 7200K rating, pretty damn blue
and sloth used a sunmaster warm delux, lots less blue.
and vaped13 on the 2nd page with an eye popping grows uses a cheap $21 sylv. Mh with a 4000K rating on all his gro's and kills it!
i wish he would pop back in and expound a bit more on his gro's/strains

glad to see you doing it up sloth

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts