What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS for yield?

A

acridlab

i would have to say ur the baddest mother fucker I've ever read about if u can get 3-4 pounds with a 400 hid next to a 300 led.. just saying.
u sir,should lift your head hi, because,U, are a bad mother fucker…..

DrFever

Veteran
That's dry weight. Malawi usually comes in lighter due to airy buds. This Malawi run will be lower as I am using the low N, high p/k schedule recommended by Dubi. A scrog in a 5' x 5' area depending on the gap distance in the net there is between 300-600 holes for tops. They aren't all main colas but once you remove a lot of foliage them lower buds move up then can be placed above the net.

Peace and happiness to all.
hahahaha 3 - 4 pounds huh dude i run one of the tightest Scrog set ups on this site and i can honestly say your on drugs if yea think your going to pull 2 - 3 pounds from a 400 in a 5x5 hahahaha you are right i bet you have all airy buds 25 sq feet 16 watts per Sq foot lmao ok there King

Attachments

• dscf3019h.jpg
    dscf3019h.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 50

Ibaba

300w led + 400w hps so 700w over 25sq ft or 28w sq ft

hps is 150 lumens per w and led 90 maybe depending... so total lumens will be 87,000 lumens, or 3480 lumens per sq foot

its def. at the lower end of whats popularly recommended but above the min of 3,000 per sq ft. PAR.. well that depends on what lights are being used.

Jhhnn

Veteran
When heat issues can be overcome, 1000w of HID above a 4x4' area seems to be the sweet spot. That's what I see in all sorts of ops. It works even better in a reflectorized space.

Following the inverse square law, I also think that sources having more blue high energy photons better serve more naturalistic grow styles, provide better production from lower branches & buds. Each blue photon that gets used delivers more energy than a red photon.

Dr.King

Veteran
hahahaha 3 - 4 pounds huh dude i run one of the tightest Scrog set ups on this site and i can honestly say your on drugs if yea think your going to pull 2 - 3 pounds from a 400 in a 5x5 hahahaha you are right i bet you have all airy buds 25 sq feet 16 watts per Sq foot lmao ok there King [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41184&pictureid=974450&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41184&pictureid=977642&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=41184&pictureid=977642&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

All I did was post helping information to the OP. Don't attack me please. Doesn't even look as if your room is dialed in so maybe that's why you don't pull my weight. If you know anything about LED lights they put out about 2 times as much power. A 90w LED is about 150 HPS without as much light penetration, which is why I scrog. I am running a 400w HPS with 4 x 90w LED, 2 on each side of the HPS. That equals out to be a 1000W, pretty good if you ask me in a 5f x 5f tent while being dialed in. My Watts per Sq foot is above 40 atm. My professional light meter reads above 900watts at nearly every spot in my tents, except the direct middle of course.

I have one 5f x 5f tent just dedicated to single cola style type growing and pull around the same. These single cola plants (some people call it lollipoping) are grown straight from 12/12. Take 2-3 months to finish completely and I still yield 2-3 pounds. 20 or 24 plants single cola each one giving 1.5oz-3.5oz(heaviest I've gotten yet) totals over 48 ozs. All about how it's done and how you set it up. To each their own I guess.

Any other questions?

N

newtothiscoco

who says mh's do better then a hps, its all about what you grow for bud's or tric's . as we all know a mh get the plant to throw 10 times as much leaf's then when you grow under hps its more stalk more stalk more bud more leaf's more tric's . thats how my view is at mh and hps.

its all a personal opinion, if you was a medical grower with a big lab set up for farming tric's then i would say go all in on the mh

but if you are a grower on a budget and want some fire bud then its all for the hps.

if you are a grower with allot of grows on your belt on hps then try and swits lights out with a mh and see what you can do with that light. coz i bet you that you would be amazed by what you see with just switsing light's

sorry for my bad english

puff puff pass"

the gnome

Veteran
we all know a mh get the plant to throw 10 times as much leaf's then when you grow under hps its more stalk more stalk more bud more leaf's more tric's . thats how my view is at mh and hps.

this is MH grown ....
so tell us more about that 10x more leaf thing?
btw.. genetics determine that as with most everything else with plants
:smoke:

BS leafy buds are a genetic trait..... look at these buds... all bud MH the entire grow

IMG_2220.jpg

the gnome

Veteran
lets look at HPS grown.....
kinda on the leafy side eh...
MH makes 10Xs more leaf<--makes you wonder on the accuracy of that statement
so what happened?
genetics
:smoke:
picture.php

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
All I did was post helping information to the OP. Don't attack me please. Doesn't even look as if your room is dialed in so maybe that's why you don't pull my weight. If you know anything about LED lights they put out about 2 times as much power. A 90w LED is about 150 HPS without as much light penetration, which is why I scrog. I am running a 400w HPS with 4 x 90w LED, 2 on each side of the HPS. That equals out to be a 1000W, pretty good if you ask me in a 5f x 5f tent while being dialed in. My Watts per Sq foot is above 40 atm. My professional light meter reads above 900watts at nearly every spot in my tents, except the direct middle of course.

I have one 5f x 5f tent just dedicated to single cola style type growing and pull around the same. These single cola plants (some people call it lollipoping) are grown straight from 12/12. Take 2-3 months to finish completely and I still yield 2-3 pounds. 20 or 24 plants single cola each one giving 1.5oz-3.5oz(heaviest I've gotten yet) totals over 48 ozs. All about how it's done and how you set it up. To each their own I guess.

Any other questions?
ya ..what other drugs are you doing ???

N

newtothiscoco

so you show a plant in mh and then a difrend plant in hps. whats the point, you dont show the same plant that got the same feeding that much a can tell from the pic.

like come on dude you want to show of now or ? just be the gnome

where i live i have ben around some old school dudes for a while even before i started growing, and they got the some big plots around thees parts even today, they grow mh for the tric's farms/hash lab's. for more leafs, and hps for the bud more stalk's and bud's. this is legit info, so if you cant handel the truth that your hps grow is underpreforming or you are doing something wrong then, what ever
-puff puff pass-

Mikenite69

Veteran
I know some of the best yields I have ever hit was with a lowes bought metal halide bulb that big fat mofos.

Now about this guy claiming hps more stalk and metal halide more leaf? Are u serious? Metal halides will make plants branch and stay squat where hps will make them stretch. Why do you think most people keep metal halides in flower for the first few weeks? To keep the stretch down!

Not saying you can't grow great pot from both bulbs I am just stating from what I have grown with cheap 30 dollar bulbs from lows with a parabolic vertical hanging bulb reflector I miss that set up. I can't fit that big bitch in a 4x4 so until I move and have a good grown room it will stay packed up.

the gnome

Veteran
ok 2growcoco...
show us your *actual* growing experience with hps and Mh and back up that talk....
it takes 2 minutes to cover all of it.
1 minute for each gro 2 grows... ever
newtothiscoco said:
its my 2 grow ever first time I did grow in dirt
now i decided to up my game and go coco
maybe next time i will try hydroponic don't know yet

I know some of the best yields I have ever hit was with a lowes bought metal halide bulb that big fat mofos.

Now about this guy claiming hps more stalk and metal halide more leaf? Are u serious? Metal halides will make plants branch and stay squat where hps will make them stretch. Why do you think most people keep metal halides in flower for the first few weeks? To keep the stretch down!
Not saying you can't grow great pot from both bulbs I am just stating from what I have grown with cheap 30 dollar bulbs from lows with a parabolic vertical hanging bulb reflector I miss that set up. I can't fit that big bitch in a 4x4 so until I move and have a good grown room it will stay packed up.

your smacking the nail right on the head mike,
after growing with $100 a pop super HPS horti eyes for over 2-1/2yrs I finally saw a different way to go after seeing what vapedg13 was knocking down using a $21 4000K sylvania Mh with the parabolic reflectors.
Ive grown with both and my $21 4000K MH can yield as good and depending on strain better than an HPS horti eye.
and vice versa. both can be used with great results.
I prefer MH because there's so many benefits

I deal with a LOT less stretch now, average 12"
Bulbs cost $21, so i can replace all 6 bulbs for about $25 over the cost of 1 horti eye
and the biggest benefit is not having to look at that wretched orange fuggin lite.
recently I have been experimenting with the 860w cdm chem/halide and the quality is blowing hps down in a big way and it's going to give hps a big run for the money, it's the future.
great thread on it.
check it out https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=6664085#post6664085

but back to hps and MH in bloom,
In my book results **Always** speak for themselves....

115.jpg

113.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

DrFever

Veteran
I am really looking forward to my new journal will be running Gavita 1150 watters 400 V- EL and LEP pro plasma 85- 100 watts per sq foot Chem D x C4D Digi Berry,and Fat bubba F2 pheno hunting in seedling stage At present
system Current culture under current DWC UC PRO 6 i think the combination of double ended 2100 umol gavita and full spectrum plasma will lay down some new laws in all stages of growth and yield

Attachments

• Spectrum STA 41.01_02 emitter_2b5ad3e7ee4932ca11d009b1dd628e57.jpg
    Spectrum STA 41.01_02 emitter_2b5ad3e7ee4932ca11d009b1dd628e57.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 50
  • undercurrent-web.jpg
    undercurrent-web.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 44
A

acridlab

My 2 cents, on the whole mh produces more leaf matter;
Not true at all.. a dialed in mh room can actually reduce leaf matter,,, it's not the 80's anymore,, wish we could put all these growing myths under dirt..

the gnome

Veteran
Gnome, that's all CDM860 in the pics above right?

pics are from my 1st run in the sealed room drek.
I ran the cdm 860s in my last run, I just chopped last week.
the 860s did a great job.
there was a difference for the better,
hard to describe(for me) other than the buds were healthier looking for a better lack of words.
i ran them for the 1st 30 days and went back to my 4000K 1000w MH for finishing.
my thinking is the budset(very important stage) and early development in the 1st 30days would benefit most with the fuller spectrum the cdm's emit and back to the 4000K halides to fatten em up and ripening on the post 30.
seemed to accomplish what I wanted.
prior to this bloom run i ran 1 cdm 860 and the plants again were very good but i did lack somewhat in the weight dept from proven strains Ive run for years.
I got my weight back in this run so I'll be trying more along those lines using the cdm's in conjunction with the 4000ks.
PLUS!!!
I saw my elec. bill drop over $100 which put a grin on my face opening up the bill, i knew it would be less but when i saw exactly how much less it was, oh yeah!! :dance013:

in closing this run using the cdms i noticed I was seeing a very hi quality bloom run developing early on.
more than usual by my standards,
by the last few weeks I told several peep this is one of the best bloom runs ive ever had in terms of quality and people are confirming it.
may be the cdms??
or just getting the room dialed in tight
or maybe a combo of both but the cdm's are going to be used in every one of my grows from now on

N

newtothiscoco

the gnome first of i think you are a great guy i have ben reading allot of good shiit form you over the past yaer's.
but when you start acting ignorent then i lose the respect.

i live in a contry where i cant fkin photo docoment all my shiit coz if i do that then i may as well just go to the popo station and turne my self in.
so yeah you can play smart with all your photo's you want i dont have the option to show photo's of all my shiit, to tell the point.

you should remember that you maybe are one of the lucky once that can docoment all you do .. and the rest of the world need to hide all their shiit for a good reason....

i mean you of all ppl should know how this is you have ben aroud for allot of time yet you start playing smart with photo's and shiit.

i lost all respekt for you the gnome now you go find old post and try and lay me down so coz i go from dirt to coco mean that i dont know shiit or what ? as i told the guy that you have corpiet it from i got 4 difrend guides for coco that ppl in my contry have ben running for 40'+ years and no they dont got photos of all their plants coz then they would be sitting in jail for the rest of their life. belive it or not,

i will let you sit around and play smart here with your photos :) se yar around i guess.

DrFever

Veteran
pics are from my 1st run in the sealed room drek.
I ran the cdm 860s in my last run, I just chopped last week.
the 860s did a great job.
there was a difference for the better,
hard to describe(for me) other than the buds were healthier looking for a better lack of words.
i ran them for the 1st 30 days and went back to my 4000K 1000w MH for finishing.
my thinking is the budset(very important stage) and early development in the 1st 30days would benefit most with the fuller spectrum the cdm's emit and back to the 4000K halides to fatten em up and ripening on the post 30.
seemed to accomplish what I wanted.
prior to this bloom run i ran 1 cdm 860 and the plants again were very good but i did lack somewhat in the weight dept from proven strains Ive run for years.
I got my weight back in this run so I'll be trying more along those lines using the cdm's in conjunction with the 4000ks.
PLUS!!!
I saw my elec. bill drop over $100 which put a grin on my face opening up the bill, i knew it would be less but when i saw exactly how much less it was, oh yeah!! :dance013:

in closing this run using the cdms i noticed I was seeing a very hi quality bloom run developing early on.
more than usual by my standards,
by the last few weeks I told several peep this is one of the best bloom runs ive ever had in terms of quality and people are confirming it.
may be the cdms??
or just getting the room dialed in tight
or maybe a combo of both but the cdm's are going to be used in every one of my grows from now on

TBO your going to get good results either way running MH or HPS its what ever the grower chooses,, I used both in bloom stage and it turned out excellent why people choose HPS for flower is cause of spectrum More late summer colors and why MH is used for Veg due to Blue colors spring n mid summer colors
But as you are seeing better healthy looking buds using the 860 cause its more of the full spectrum like the sun

Latest posts

Latest posts