What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS for yield?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice idea rives,
Ive thought about doing something along those lines but It would have to be air tite.
I'm sealed w/Co2. and venting is an issue which 1 reason I'm sealed.
Q for ya... how long can i run a cord from the ballasts to the lights?
and again from the outlets to the ballasts, ive read some digi's have 50ft cords to lamps... maybe??
I'm on 220v if that has anything to do with anything

Being air tight wouldn't be an issue, most gutters seal up pretty tight and they make (for a premium) gasketed versions that are very tight. I don't know what the cord length could be for the MH family, but I would think that it could be pretty long with the possible exception of the pulse-start family. As far as I know, that is the only issue with remote-mounted HPS - the leads can be very long, but the ignitor needs to be moved out near the lamp when they get excessive.

The voltage to the lamp doesn't change based on your input voltage.

A

acridlab

What's up fellas,, here's that WiFi alien under the 4000k's of goodness

A

acridlab

Dammit, lol, works better when u attach the photo,:alien:, peace
picture.php

Catatafish

Veteran
Lol there is a bunch of us in here rocking the WFA's. I got 3 phenos everyone is a winner so far and all different. I sampled the OG looking one so far and is straight fire. I have one that looks like above too that seems to yeild a lot more than the OG one. 2 of the 3 look to yield very well, the OG is not shabby either with training and dialing should hit pretty respectable numbers due to her vigor.

Gnome, you ever flower your yet?

the gnome

Veteran
nice-n-frosty there acrid :good:

cat,
my lone WFA is 3+wks in bloom,
buds are running up the laterals in tight formation.
she will yield very well from what I'm seeing,
I didn't see much resin compared to the other 2 strains I'm running but
the resin pumps have been turned on.
she's looking to be a AAA contender for keeper status

Jhhnn

Veteran
Being air tight wouldn't be an issue, most gutters seal up pretty tight and they make (for a premium) gasketed versions that are very tight. I don't know what the cord length could be for the MH family, but I would think that it could be pretty long with the possible exception of the pulse-start family. As far as I know, that is the only issue with remote-mounted HPS - the leads can be very long, but the ignitor needs to be moved out near the lamp when they get excessive.

The voltage to the lamp doesn't change based on your input voltage.

I think you're right. I doubt that ballast to lamp cord length matters much with switchable magnetic ballasts & MH or CMH lamps because the ignitor is switched out of the circuit for MH/CMH. They're not intended for pulse start MH lamps at all.

Ballast to lamp extension cords are available in both styles & a variety of lengths. At 1000w, I'd want 14 gauge.

Last edited:
F

Folate

Hey guys,
I want to know if it is worth it with a 600w digi ballast? All the 600w MH bulbs are conversion and as I understand it, due to being conversion have a reduced par. I have an Apollo 4200K i'm running at the moment. Would 4000k mh be a better direction to go in for 400 and 1000?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Folate
ps, the 4200 vs the 4000k is splitting hairs, isn't it?

Last edited:

the gnome

Veteran
Hello.
Can someone link/recommend a MH with 3000kelvin? 'Cause the growshop i get my stuff from hade no luck with his disributors. So he asked my if i know a brand that could have a 600w MH 3000 kelvin.

thx in advance .

P.s. while some don't like these kind of discussions i would like to say thx to all the info these kind of threads have to offer D.s.

HW

here's a place to start Mr Hell
found this in 30sec with a simple search:tiphat:
hopefully you'll find sonething to fit your needs
600w halides in certain kelvin ratings can be probs
https://www.1000bulbs.com/search/?q=600+watt+metal+halide&SearchButton.x=0&SearchButton.y=0

the gnome

Veteran
Hey guys,
I want to know if it is worth it with a 600w digi ballast? All the 600w MH bulbs are conversion and as I understand it, due to being conversion have a reduced par. I have an Apollo 4200K i'm running at the moment. Would 4000k mh be a better direction to go in for 400 and 1000?
Thanks for your thoughts,
Folate
ps, the 4200 vs the 4000k is splitting hairs, isn't it?

check the link above folate, lots of 600w MHs to look at
4000K and 4200K--->I think of hair splitting too :smoke:

Jhhnn

Veteran
Unlike other systems, 600w HPS hardware was created specifically for indoor growing & has no counterpart in industrial lighting. That greatly limits lamp selection, with MH conversion & dual arc lamps being very recent introductions. They're very much specialty items, with a price tag to match.

At 400w or 1000w, there are happy & very inexpensive crossovers from industrial to agro purposes like Gnome's preferred MH. With so many good choices, even in true agro lamps at those wattages, there's no good reason to cough up very high prices for lamps.

the gnome

Veteran
Unlike other systems, 600w HPS hardware was created specifically for indoor growing & has no counterpart in industrial lighting. That greatly limits lamp selection, with MH conversion & dual arc lamps being very recent introductions. They're very much specialty items, with a price tag to match.

At 400w or 1000w, there are happy & very inexpensive crossovers

personally if i had a 600w ballast and ran HPS alone and i was a happy camper I'd leave it at that.
as Jhhnn said prices for a 600w Halide or conversion bulb is Xpensive and limited in choice

or the cost of the conversion bulbs and replacing them as per your needs I would opt for a 1000w dimmable ballast that can be had for under $200 that also steps down to around 600 and 400w.
your bulb selection would be tremendous as would your flexability using 1000w bulbs and at prices that make it worth while compared to the 600w conversion bulbs...

just my 2cent

F

Folate

I appreciate the insight fellas.
Gnome, good thinking outside the box on a dimmable ballast.
I was able to find Apollo MH 600w @4200K for about $35 on ebay.
My happy medium.
Folate

Jhhnn

Veteran
I appreciate the insight fellas.
Gnome, good thinking outside the box on a dimmable ballast.
I was able to find Apollo MH 600w @4200K for about $35 on ebay.
My happy medium.
Folate

Good find. Hope it works well for you.

Pangea

Veteran
I think Im going to try out a few Pulserite 1043's(1kW @ 4200K, protected in a bt37) for $26 per unit.

Anyone use any pulserite products?

Also eyeing up the Plantmax 7K and 10K(for indoor veg) but they do not appear to be protected and at $45 they seem close to solis tek prices.

Thanks

Dr.King

Veteran
Currently running a single Malawi Scrogged in one of my 5'f x 5'f tents. She is LST down to 24" and will end up yielding 3-4 pounds. She is under only a 400w MH and 300w LED. Let's be honest everyone likes top buds the best. These are the ones sent off to labs by breeders that win Cups. Think they send them popcorn buds to test? Growers over in the scrogging section got outside scrogs covering their whole backyard. That's what I call nice.

Peace and happiness to all.

Dr.King

Veteran
3-4 pounds wet?

That's dry weight. Malawi usually comes in lighter due to airy buds. This Malawi run will be lower as I am using the low N, high p/k schedule recommended by Dubi. A scrog in a 5' x 5' area depending on the gap distance in the net there is between 300-600 holes for tops. They aren't all main colas but once you remove a lot of foliage them lower buds move up then can be placed above the net.

Peace and happiness to all.

Latest posts

Latest posts