What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS for yield?

Bio boy

ive seen a guy in the mh vs hps bloom get more with his mh than he did with his hps,
hps was 84gram or somthing and mh 106, same plant split,

ive seen some crazy mh grows now too pulling alot, 1 thing ive noticed is pot sizes,

with mh they seem to get away with pulling more in smaller pots that normaly become root bound, eg i see a party cup with 2 ounce,

where as in that pot ida got problems from rootbindings,

mh we know helps alot for stress with the blue, so i guess this is why,

atm im using a hps pure and mh pure combo, 3 lines 1 mh 1 mh/hps 1 hps,

wondered what views are from experienced users or tested users

alot of people run by the if it aint broken dont fix it, but i reply with the first car wasnt broken didnt need a spoiler it worked... they fixed it we all prefere it,

also 18/6 is a classic planst time for allowing co2 at night, cannabis absorbs in the day hence why peopel now are swaping to 20-24hrs light as they absorb in the day, again wasnt broken but they made it better stil!

so why to say the lights are the same mh veg and hps flower, as i recall in summer the sun is more of a white in winter its orange the organe hps was to help end of season the comign of fall,,,

so who said its right ? thats what tests are for and discussions , i refuse to belive thve got it 100% right, somany different methods,

so im after yeild now :) hps or mh or hps dual spec!?

im a RDWC vert grower and a coco regular grower,

Bio boy

is there a list ? lol has any 1 profiled a few? or tryed some?

what have ya tryed under MH and what conditons eg soil/hydro time and what strain, final yield

same for hps and pure sodium

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HPS for yield and quality. I have spent the last 6 months doing side by sides.

vapedg13

Veteran
HPS for yield and quality. I have spent the last 6 months doing side by sides.

I must disagree:)...years ago I experimented ......now I know.. 4000K MH the entire grow...I won a party cup with a almost 2 oz plant

I average 4-6 oz per plant in 6.5 quart potters (1.75 gallon potters) soil grows

Easy7

Veteran
You can't split a plant and call that an accurate comparison. HPS is good for floweing, MH will be leafy and takes linger to ripen.

vapedg13

Veteran
Easy7;5651341. said:
HPS is good for floweing, MH will be leafy and takes linger to ripen.

BS leafy buds are a genetic trait..... look at these buds... all bud MH the entire grow

IMG_2220.jpg

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I must disagree:)...years ago I experimented ......now I know.. 4000K MH the entire grow...I won a party cup with a almost 2 oz plant

I average 4-6 oz per plant in 6.5 quart potters 1.75 gallon potters) soil grows

I am using new technology bulbs, and i am using 1000 watt bulbs. I wouldn't mind getting a hold of some 4 thousand watt bulbs and ballasts. I have never used anything that bright. sounds fucking awesome. i cant knock that if I have not tried it, and I want to try it.

fungzyme

Im pretty sure the 4000k refers to the color temperature of the bulb, not the wattage! That would be a mother of a bulb!

Bio boy

I average 4-6 oz per plant in 6.5 quart potters (1.75 gallon potters) soil grows
wow honor to have you here dude!! your the guy this thread is based on :D please tell me more!! it seems locigal, smaller pots no stress frm blue = a happy plant,

i believe using blue means u can use smaller pots and pull the same, so in theory bigger pots mh biger plants....

i grow in coco in 15liter airpots,
and i grow RDWC

Using MH 1K (blue Hortilux bulb) vertical in center and 3 HPS with UVB side lighting. A total mix of light and the results speak for themselfs. Important thing with the UVB is 3 weeks and later in flower has most impact when resin glands are forming.

Attachments

• A4 unknown.jpg
    A4 unknown.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Limelight2.jpg
    Limelight2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 58
  • LimeDark1.jpg
    LimeDark1.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Week6 lightrs.jpg
    Week6 lightrs.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 59

Twist1

Id like you to find a better comparason than what u have given. U asked the question which bulb yields better but than start talking bout pot sizes, co2 n stuff. No mention of grow stlye or anything.

I think ya way better off actually dileing in everything and going vert if ya looking for massive yileds.

Now say u have everything in your grow 100%, u have worked with the strain for years, know the exact hudmity and temps it likes, the ideal feeding regieme.

Now if ya have done all this than i would worry about that slight difference in yields between the 2 because personally if u got all that diled in i dont think yall see much difference

Well I consider the Sun when answering this question. Dawn and Dusk is more 2100k light spectrum, times closer to high noon are more like 6500k light spectrum.
Now natural flowering comes later in the year, when theres more 2100k light than 6500k light.
A combo light spectrum 2100k to 6500k would seem to be optimal? especially if you can dial in different times of the light cycles for your various plant states.
Anyway, plenty of reading here for this argument. In the end our freewill will lead us to do what we want any ways lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts