What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

woolybear

Veteran
hello med people,

i am preparing my next grow, which will be my first hydro run in a mini med-man system.

due to a lapse in environmental control, I had to deal with PM ( or something like it) and thrips in my first clone generation after harvest. They are gone now, but it was a rough month or so.

lesson learned: do not move your plants in between tents while flowering!

I have two med man plants in my rotation, the rock star skunk and silver rock star skunk #1. RKS smells of mild coffee while the SRSS is straight sour milk skunk funk.

I have an RKS in a big rockwool block and am acclimating it to the LEDs. I used the rockwool because i happened to have it around.

Med Man's rule of four was INVALUABLE when i had my pm/ thrips outbreak. Since I had many 4 clones (instead of one or two as I would've done in the past) of each of my keepers I was able to ditch the ones that were badly damaged. Otherwise i would have been shit - out - of luck!

Stay tuned

edit: If I kill the plants that is fine, as I have backups.

I have the timer to squirt once every few hours for one tick. I think a tick is 3-4 minutes on the manual timer. I have the nozzle squirting away from the rockwool so that it doesn't get soaked.

I also have a fan blowing downwards on the plant. I would rather the rockwool dry out faster.

Last edited:

Greenlife1

Sounds like a plan!
Sucks about the thrips, an pm.
I know how that goes...had spider mites, an was a real pain to get rid of em.

Taking a seat.

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey wooly bear

awesome dude

looking forward to it.keep nutes lower to avoid the pm if you can?

prepare for the worst, hope for the best

med-man

woolybear

Veteran
hey wooly bear

awesome dude

looking forward to it.keep nutes lower to avoid the pm if you can?

prepare for the worst, hope for the best

med-man

low nutes - awesome tip! switching back to jack's hydro for this run. The rez is currently sitting at 300 ppm.

The RKS has been in the system for 12 hours and is looking pretty happy. This is a fun project already! Squirting water is cool.

My goal for this project is to not kill the plants and witness the crazy growth I've heard hydro is capable of. What's wierd is I kind of consider hydro 'old school' at this point; there are no hydro growers in my instagram feed. More risk = more reward?

Got a lot of reading to do...

p.s. I was able to cure the fungus with SNS 244c and the thrips with a spinosad organic. I caught the fungus early and the thrips came in after the plants recovered.

woolybear

Veteran
progress

progress

About a month later. Took a little bit to get things dialed in. Hows this root mat?

picture.php

keeping nutes at around 500ppm. Bought the real h202 from the hydro shop, add a capful once a week to keep it sterile. Doing the scrogging thing for a super squat plant.

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey wooly

sweet man

500 is perfect

add the h202 every 2-3 days man.

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
low nutes - awesome tip! switching back to jack's hydro for this run. The rez is currently sitting at 300 ppm.

The RKS has been in the system for 12 hours and is looking pretty happy. This is a fun project already! Squirting water is cool.

My goal for this project is to not kill the plants and witness the crazy growth I've heard hydro is capable of. What's wierd is I kind of consider hydro 'old school' at this point; there are no hydro growers in my instagram feed. More risk = more reward?

Got a lot of reading to do...

p.s. I was able to cure the fungus with SNS 244c and the thrips with a spinosad organic. I caught the fungus early and the thrips came in after the plants recovered.

Wolly, welcome to the smart side of growing

I don't know why people are so afraid of hydro. It is by far the most forgiving, especially with an outboard rez. If you screw up, simply flush and make up fresh nutes

I think you know I use Hydroponic-Research V+B, which further simplifies the process. I don't even check pH anymore

When sprouting seeds I only use a starter cube cut in half. This minimizes moisture retention. The rest of the medium is polished ornamental stones from Dollar Store. Because they are fast draining, I flood every ~ 45 minutes during early veg. Once plants have sufficient leafs/root system to process more food, I flood every 30 minutes.

hth

Have you seen my 4 day update? Plants are exploding

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i agree with pet flora

as long as you keep everything optimal, nothing swings. with that being said as soon as things swing you know a flush and change in needed

hi ppm is the growers and plants biggest nemesis. i have seen too high ppm stunt/shock plants, the rot the roots, then ttcks of pm and bud rot follow. prevent it all by running low nutes

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
True dat MedMan.

Another plus of multiple feedings is high ppm is not necessary, in fact counter productive

Lots of small meals makes for healthy plants

My method turns them into virtual 24/7 eating machines

I veg ~ 200, by 3rd node ~ 400, and push to 500 until I am ready to flip then ~ 800

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey pet flora

ya. in my tables peaking at 900 is doable.

shock rinsing does allow for higher ppm. but not necesaary

med-man

woolybear

Veteran
Wolly, welcome to the smart side of growing

I don't know why people are so afraid of hydro. It is by far the most forgiving, especially with an outboard rez. If you screw up, simply flush and make up fresh nutes

When sprouting seeds I only use a starter cube cut in half. This minimizes moisture retention. The rest of the medium is polished ornamental stones from Dollar Store. Because they are fast draining, I flood every ~ 45 minutes during early veg. Once plants have sufficient leafs/root system to process more food, I flood every 30 minutes.

hth

Have you seen my 4 day update? Plants are exploding

thanks for stopping by! I'll be posting a new thread soon. I was definitely inspired by your grows, only I got my rocks at the beach :)

No way I'll be going back to hand-watering coco.

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey woolybear

thanks for sharing!

med-man

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey cecil

1.6ml / liter. 35% food grade

med-man

Cecil Lebowitz

Thanks so much! Just keep adding to res every 2-3 days right? During the entire cycle or just during nutrient feed cycles?

Last edited:

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey cecil

in every drop of water you will every use

10/ml liter for cleaning systems

30/ml liter for bugs and mildew

100/ml liter for bleaching rooms and equipment

aloh

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey cecil

in every drop of water you will every use

10/ml liter for cleaning systems

30/ml liter for bugs and mildew

100/ml liter for bleaching rooms and equipment

aloh

med-man

Welcome back Med-Man

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey pet flora

thanks for al your support buddy! you really care :)

med-man