Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Grow Diaries > 1st Hydro - NFT Rock Star Kush 600w LED

Thread Title Search
1st Hydro - NFT Rock Star Kush 600w LED Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2015, 03:01 AM #1
woolybear

woolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to all
1st Hydro - NFT Rock Star Kush 600w LED

Hello ICMAG

This diary is to document my 2015 rock star kush grow. Medman's RSK has a coffee smell and nice bag appeal. I still have some nugs that I should take pictures of.

"Mini medman table"

Ingredients:

- two 300w LED panels
- jack's hydro 90-420 ppm
- 10 gal rubbermaid tote
- reflective foamcore (home depot)
- plastic painter's tub

I'll start with a picture of the star:

Here's what she looked like a month ago:

Here's the grow tub:

Which is a painter's tub i think. The top is made of reflective foam sheeting, which was around $3 for a big sheet. This is the basic technique:

Being that this my first hydro grow, I had to screw something up. And that something was overwatering and feeding at night - which cost me 2 weeks of veg time but the plant is fine now.

The roots have colonized the entire tub:

I vegged this plant mostly under LED, which I will not do next time as it made the plant a bit too tightly stacked.

Keywords: hydro medman LST scrog NFT LED tent
woolybear is offline Quote

Old 02-19-2015, 03:09 AM #2
woolybear

woolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to allwoolybear is a name known to all
Here's a picture of the rock star kush I ran last year:

A very pretty plant, strong stone, chunky nugs. This plant does not need a lot of nutes, 175 ppm is fine. Medman recommends keeping the nutes low as it helps prevent fungal annoyances and hermi issues.

This plant is highly trained. All the branches have been tied down. Here's one I tied down the other day, you can see the leaves reorientate themselves:

Here's older branch with excellent growth on the shoots there. I may top these 3 guys for clones:

Side shot:

You may notice that the plant is on the left side of the tub, instead of the middle. This is because I had cut two smaller holes in the right side to run a couple of other plants.

One of them died due to the overwatering, the other's was not doing do hot, growing yes, but the root growth was stunted.

I moved that plant to a difference pot and it recovered! I'm pretty sure that because the rock star kush's roots colonized the tub, there was a plant vs plant biological root war and the rsk wasn't giving up it's turf.

Interesting, eh?

Old 02-21-2015, 02:44 AM #3
Kiloz

Kiloz has a spectacular aura aboutKiloz has a spectacular aura aboutKiloz has a spectacular aura aboutKiloz has a spectacular aura about
Looking good man, going to be interesting

Kiloz Adventures
Kiloz is offline Quote

Old 02-21-2015, 02:56 PM #4
PetFlora

PetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond reputePetFlora has a reputation beyond repute
WTF?

175ppm and you have those nuggz?

You sure your meter is calibrated?

I thought I was stingy with nutes: mostly ~ 600 after flip, pushing to ~ 800 once buds set, ~ 1000 after stretch for ~ 2 weeks, then back down

FYI the tub is a mortar/cement mixing tub, available at Lowes/HD

Good to have one under the rez as well, as precaution to spillage

The insulating foam insert is brilliant. Keeps heat out, though not much of an issue with LEDs.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=329619

Just because you weren't taught something doesn't mean it's not true, and vice versa
PetFlora is offline Quote

Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 AM #5
woolybear

175 is what I'm vegging the plant currently; last run in coco I used higher levels.

Quick canopy update. I applied a foliar spray of the og biowar foliar fungus stuff. I've had the foliar for a couple of years, not sure if they are still alive, but the plant is doing well:

Before, 5 days:

I'll need to do a bit of pruning and more LST, then flipping should be in order soon.

edit: I pooped some more beans. Got 3 med man headbands that popped already plus 2 D4SD freebies.

I also ordered a powerhead and will put that in the res for poops and giggles. Saw it in crooked8's threads and thought it was a cool idea.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 PM #6
Meison

Meison will become famous soon enoughMeison will become famous soon enough
looking good, I have to agree 175ppm is something low, maybe from R/O it works out. I get 140ppm from tap water, adding A/B for veg leaves it at 350 to start clones, so around 180ppm added from nuts, maybe it just looks low but it isn't as there are no extras in the water?
Meison is offline Quote

Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 AM #7
woolybear

Flowering time

Flipped the tent, tied down the remaining stray shoot.

Yesterday I added bloom booster to 240ppm; today it was at 223, so she ate 17ppm in one day.

Added water and h2o2 to bring the ppms to 205. After tomorrow I'll empty the rez and apply fresh nutes.

foliage:

Old 03-10-2015, 04:45 AM #8
woolybear

text update today.

I'm following med man's feeding schedule - 25/50/100%. He recommends 0.5 - 0.8 ec for this plant, which is 350-560 ppm.

Two days each:

25% 90-140ppm
50% 176-280ppm
100% 350-560ppm
- bloom booster -
Dump rez, make new solution.

I'm erring on the lower side of the nute range for now. Starting at 77ppm, she ate 3ppm of nutes. I bumped it up to 140ppm and after 24 hours she ate 30ppm.

Not sure how I'm going to handle the bloom booster. I'll have to see how mush she eats.

Added fresh water and raised the nutes to 185ppm.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:37 AM #9
woolybear

After 24 hours my plants ate the same amount as yesterday, 30ppm.

How crazy is that?

That is a cool part of hydro, you have access to this data about your grow.

Topped off the res so the nutes are quite low. Added squirt of h2o2. I think i see a teeny tiny bit of possible nute burn on some of the leaf tips, thought that may be an optical illusion.

Did a bit more trimming, clearing bud sites. I wonder what my yield will be!

edit: tomorrow i'll bump the nutes to 50% strength. it will be interesting what the plant's reaction will be.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:29 AM #10
woolybear

day 11

Day 11 Flowering update!

Plant is now eating 50ppms a day. Bud set has happened, and the plant is growing nuts. Very little stretch, maybe an inch or so.

Foliage with newly formed buds:

more of a side view: