What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Massachusetts Grow 2020

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Ok Mass growers time to check in.

Got some transplanting done today. Going from quarts to three gallon pots.
Starting off with about thirty. Already have some ideas on the keepers depending on how many males.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
How much can you harvest off a girl grown in a 3 gallon container?

I've never gotten serious with small pots, most I ever got from 3 gallon was probably just a couple ounces..

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
The keepers will end up in 27 gallons. For now they have to get big enough to determine sex. I'd like to let them grow out and ax the males but don't really have enough room. The other methods of sexing are more labor intensive. I'll have to come up with a plan in the next few weeks.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I put most out yesterday will hopefully be in the ground on Sunday. I have to harvest also which is gonna be a pain in the ass. I have to wash my entire harvest due to PM so it will take a while but I guess it is a learning experience as I can't find a lot of reviews on this process. Plants seem very happy to be outside.

picture.php

picture.php

T

TakenByTheSky

PM covered buds are trash dude, anyone that tells you to save that shit needs their head examined. You wouldn't eat moldy bread would u?

If it's on just th leaves maybe if it's just for personal use but if it's on the buds at all it should be thrown away. Make sure you wash yourself and any tools you use because you'll spread it to plants that don't have it.

I brought PM in from outside last year on cuts, and when I took the cuts there was no PM a month later all my mother's had it, never had PM indoors before that.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
PM covered buds are trash dude, anyone that tells you to save that shit needs their head examined. You wouldn't eat moldy bread would u?

If it's on just th leaves maybe if it's just for personal use but if it's on the buds at all it should be thrown away. Make sure you wash yourself and any tools you use because you'll spread it to plants that don't have it.

I brought PM in from outside last year on cuts, and when I took the cuts there was no PM a month later all my mother's had it, never had PM indoors before that.

Nothing is covered in PM. There are some spots and from the research I have done should hopefully be able to wash it off with a peroxide/water wash. Some of the plants have no signs of PM but have been in the same room so will be washing everything. Guess we will find out one way or the other fairly soon. I am hoping it works because I need the meds and if not well I guess I just spent a bunch of money and time to learn the hard way. Thank you for the response and good luck this year.

redlaser

Veteran
OG_NoMan, I found a good risk index model that UC Davis did for pm that is used to time treatments and what conditions cause and stop it. It’s written for grapes and has organic and non organic treatment options, but for me the important parts were understanding how the cycle can be broken by temp primarily.

It’s only a long page of reading, but also goes over the life cycle pretty well too.

Once you understand how points are assessed in the pm risk model, you understand where you are in it’s development, and it gives you some peace of mind about what you can do about it. An example of that is once 90 degree temps are hit for x number of hours the pm is basically at a standstill and not increasing your index number, so treatment is not needed.

https//:ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/r302100311.html ( link might not work, but search UCDavis IPM powdery mildew risk index model

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Thanks redlaser. I came across that article before when researching and it is definitely helpful. I wish there was more canna specific scientific info on this and many other things. Like why one plant gets it while the plant next to it doesn't and yes I understand genetics are at play but there has to be more to it. It's definitely a punch in the balls when it pops up end of flower but am gonna be a lot more pro active. Sprayed everything in veg and outside with greencure and safer soap. Will follow that up again in 7 days. Guess we will see how it all goes down this year :smoke out:

redlaser

Veteran
Thanks redlaser. I came across that article before when researching and it is definitely helpful. I wish there was more canna specific scientific info on this and many other things. Like why one plant gets it while the plant next to it doesn't and yes I understand genetics are at play but there has to be more to it. It's definitely a punch in the balls when it pops up end of flower but am gonna be a lot more pro active. Sprayed everything in veg and outside with greencure and safer soap. Will follow that up again in 7 days. Guess we will see how it all goes down this year :smoke out:
Figured you might have run across that article by now.

I got it bad one year in a 10 x10 temp greenhouse I was using to make seeed, wasn’t ventilatiing well at all. Noticed a couple puffs of it on some stems yeasterday on some plants in grow bags. Bags were 3/4 full and that extra 1/4 bag on top was preventing air circulation from hitting the stem at ground level, resulting in happy pm in the stem. I used JMS paraffin oil on it

Need those hot days to break the cycle I suppose.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Is anyone using serenade as a preventive? I am thinking I should implement a plan to try and keep from getting any or very little PM this year outdoor. Was thinking serenade till end of 2nd week of flower and then treatments of greencure at slightly lower strength than recommended on the package so I don't burn pistols. Unlike years past I want to be more pro active and see if it helps. Also will be taking cuts in August to bring back in so want to eradicate the best I can.

T

TakenByTheSky

Green cure didn't work for me last year, I had mine in a greenhouse and it didn't wash off. I had to spray week after week to keep the infection down but by harvest time some of my plants were completely white with PM.

I tried to eradicate PM onna few small mother's indoors with it and same deal, it would allow it down but not stop it.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Green cure didn't work for me last year, I had mine in a greenhouse and it didn't wash off. I had to spray week after week to keep the infection down but by harvest time some of my plants were completely white with PM.

I tried to eradicate PM onna few small mother's indoors with it and same deal, it would allow it down but not stop it.

I have found that greencure helps but I agree once you have it it only slows the infection down. My goal is to treat before I get it to hopefully not allow it to take root especially during the highest pressure times. My thinking is during the veg period cover the leaves with beneficial bacteria to keep PM away and during flower get the PH of the leaf surface up especially during high pressure times to create a toxic environment for the PM. I could be completely wrong in my thoughts but doing nothing won't change anything. I lose some to PM every year so I am looking to change that just trying to figure out how :chin:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Back to report that washing sure as fuck didn't save me. While it got rid of some there was plenty left. Was able to salvage 4 plants out of 14 and they are drying. Long story short I don't see the point in washing for PM and will be burning all plant material this week. Now hopefully the outdoor plants can out grow it as they have definitely been around PM. Good luck all :tiphat:

T

TakenByTheSky

That sucks OG, I know what it's like I threw out probably like an LB+ of bud last year off of 3 large plants. There is nothing worse than putting in all the time, energy and money to end up with PM. That's why I said fuck outdoor this year, I've never gotten PM on my indoor grows but can't keep it off my outdoor.

" Powdery mildew diseases are caused by many different species of fungi in the order Erysiphales, with Podosphaera xanthii (a.k.a. Sphaerotheca fuliginea) being the most commonly reported cause"

That's why PM is so hard to avoid, many different strains

yardgrazer

Is anyone using serenade as a preventive? I am thinking I should implement a plan to try and keep from getting any or very little PM this year outdoor. Was thinking serenade till end of 2nd week of flower and then treatments of greencure at slightly lower strength than recommended on the package so I don't burn pistols. Unlike years past I want to be more pro active and see if it helps. Also will be taking cuts in August to bring back in so want to eradicate the best I can.

I used Serenade pretty broadly last year (also, copper spray). Botrytis is a yearly issue, last year there was still some here and there, but all-in-all I think one or both of the sprays I used worked fairly well?

Thus far this year I've done some Sulfur sprays, but haven't used any Serenade yet. Was thinking I might start soon.

NENugger

First Update North Shore Ma

First Update North Shore Ma

6-2 all the sproutlings (PS(2)9wks, BHxQM /PS(3)9-10wks, PB(6)10wks, DxPS(4)8--9wks, Erd x QM(3)9wks, PB x OE(3)10wks, BHxQM/PB(3)9-10wks) waiting to show sex

picture.php

6-18 first potted and moved outside

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Did a little organizing and cleaning up today. It might get crowded in here before I can figure out who's got the balls.
Broke a good sized branch on one of the GG4s a couple days ago and duck taped it. Looks like it's going to heal up.

picture.php

yardgrazer

Feeling a little shy about photos this season, but the plants I started early (Sour Boggle, Sour Grape, Stardawg x Apollo 13) are all chugging along - I think the SB and Stardawg x Apollo 13 may have started flowering for a little while there. Looked back at photos of last year's plants at the beginning of July and they weren't anywhere near as big as these are. I don't have any larger containers so they'll be living out their days where they are, but getting a little worried as I think they'll end up requiring a lot of watering.

Latest posts

Latest posts