What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Massachusetts Grow 2020

Green Squall

I have 7 autoflower seedlings from Afterthought Auto's that I've been putting out on the back deck getting used to the sun. I wanna put them out this weekend hopefully, next weekend at the latest I guess. Those should get me a staggered harvest then I wanna try to get the main GGs out then also, or a little later since I think the first batch I put in last year suffered from reveg.

What size pots are you using for the autos? I only have a single auto, but went with 10 gallons.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Put a couple HLG 100s out there.
Freakin thing glows like we got the holy grail in there. It's an omen.

picture.php

Screened up the ridge vent.

picture.php

T

TakenByTheSky

Anyone ever do NL up here outdoor?

I've got this NL5 indoor that's super stacked at 30 days I'm thinking this cut would kill it outside and finish faster than anything else.

picture.php

kritios

TakenBytheSky: I haven't done NL5 outdoor up here. I have grown it indoor, and I agree I think it would work well here.

Zeez: do those 'lifters' go right through the screen?

I sometimes wonder if I have the best guano collection on my street:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
TakenBytheSky: I haven't done NL5 outdoor up here. I have grown it indoor, and I agree I think it would work well here.

Zeez: do those 'lifters' go right through the screen?

I sometimes wonder if I have the best guano collection on my street:
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82933&pictureid=2044931&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

Yeah, It was the only way. Trying to keep the actuator away from water. That new ridge vent window makes fans unnecessary. I expect to see allot of California guys start using my idea. Convection, warm air rising, makes the heat go up and out.

T

TakenByTheSky

We have 4 roof vents in our solid walled GH and put 2 large screened vents in the bottom panels of each side wall, it was still not enough to keep temp in check. On the hottest day in afternoon sun it will hit 110 deg F, the plants don't seem to mind so long as they're well watered.

More importantly the convection venting did nothing to prevent powdery mildew. I'm sitting this season out and doing indoor jnstead next year I won't even bother unless I can get a fan out there.

I actually feel that an open frame with just a Plexi roof to keep the rain from hammering the plants is the best idea for most of the season in MA. Greenhouses a giant plastic bag without proper ventilation.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
In SE Mass we had a problem last summer with everything outdoors getting covered with stuff that looks like black soot. Some say it's mega bug shit that feeds fungus. It took vinegar to wash it off cars and the greenhouse cover. Not interested in smoking that shit.

T

TakenByTheSky

Oh God that sounds awful. Sounds like when we had gypsy moth catarpillars eating all the oak trees here, it was literally raining shit for months.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Caterpillars here eat pot plants inside the stalk and kill the plant.

T

TakenByTheSky

Caterpillars here eat pot plants inside the stalk and kill the plant.

Are those the tiny green ones that bore into the buds and stems? I had those when I grew in the woods.

The gypsy moth catarpillars are large black and furry, they don't come every year but destroy the oaks first then move on once there's no leaves left on them.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Are those the tiny green ones that bore into the buds and stems? I had those when I grew in the woods.

The gypsy moth catarpillars are large black and furry, they don't come every year but destroy the oaks first then move on once there's no leaves left on them.

I was out there every day looking for them and still took big hits.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

T

TakenByTheSky

View Image View Image View Image

Have you ever considered diotomatious earth as a top dress? I don't know how th catarpillars get on the plants but if they will across the soil the DE should kill them. The only thing with DE is it needs to be reapplied because it doesn't do anything when wet.

redlaser

Veteran
Zeez, are you planning on screening all entry points for insects this year? Noticed your screening the roof vent so seems likely.
I was curious how helpful the greenhouse was as far as botrytis losses last year, in theory it could help, but really depends on keeping that air moving within the structure.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran

Try putting bird feeders out there to attract the smaller birds that eat caterpillars and bugs in the summer months...

I started doing that several years ago and have noticed a good difference...
You can camo paint the feeders... the birds will still find 'em..

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Zeez, are you planning on screening all entry points for insects this year? Noticed your screening the roof vent so seems likely.
I was curious how helpful the greenhouse was as far as botrytis losses last year, in theory it could help, but really depends on keeping that air moving within the structure.

It's not 100% on the screening, maybe 98-99. Door seams have some spaces and a bit of space around the vent actuator, not much, Roll up sides are screened too. Maybe extending the light hours in the evening was pushing it by attracting bugs. Don't know, but only doing extra light in the morning hours. Last year there were no problems with bugs or rot.

The vent works way better than I expected with inside temps very close to outside all the time. Considering how much heat collects quickly with the vent closed there must be a good amount of airflow when opened.

redlaser

Veteran
It's not 100% on the screening, maybe 98-99. Door seams have some spaces and a bit of space around the vent actuator, not much, Roll up sides are screened too. Maybe extending the light hours in the evening was pushing it by attracting bugs. Don't know, but only doing extra light in the morning hours. Last year there were no problems with bugs or rot.

The vent works way better than I expected with inside temps very close to outside all the time. Considering how much heat collects quickly with the vent closed there must be a good amount of airflow when opened.

Sounds like the greenhouse is helping, I would imagine humidity would be a bigger issue in your area versus a drier area.

My intake is screened and it makes a large difference in insect pressure. Have a bunch of broccoli, kale, cauliflowers outside and in the greenhouse finishing up and the difference is night and day.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Sounds like the greenhouse is helping, I would imagine humidity would be a bigger issue in your area versus a drier area.

My intake is screened and it makes a large difference in insect pressure. Have a bunch of broccoli, kale, cauliflowers outside and in the greenhouse finishing up and the difference is night and day.

Only on my second year with a greenhouse and still learning. For some home made hoops and a couple extras the payoff is good. If I did it again, I'd do one side roll up and one top roll up with the bottom one facing the southwest for prevailing summer wind. Simple as could be and could be run anywhere on a solar panel and two batteries. It's all about low tech and airflow.

Latest posts

Latest posts