What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Massachusetts Grow 2019

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Ants!!!! How do I deal with them? They are small black ants on one of my better plants. I noticed a branch yellowing different than the rest of the plant and upon further inspection the tip was infested with ants so I cut the branch off and got rid of it in the woods. How do I deal with the rest of the plant as I noticed some ants walking up and down the main stem but couldnt really find anything on the ground. Please help!

Too bad you're not close to the Cape, I'd give you a lifetime supply. Borax powder mixed with equal parts sugar and the minimum water. Soak cotton balls in it and set out little ant bombs. Kills em' with no chemicals. Borax is the stuff in soap. Harmless.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Putting motors on the GH roll up sides. No more hand cranking on cool nights or storms.

picture.php

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
OG NoMan, boric acid traps are a good option, when they show up in my house a couple times a year, spring/fall they are usually gone within two days. Just sugars and borax,but my homemade versions never seem as attractive to them as the store bought Terro brand.

As far as cold AP and others, 28-29 is where losses happen, 30 degrees on up is not enough to do damages in my experience. Have to consider wind chill though, low thirty’s with wind could be dicey.
Thanks for the temp info bro!
Too bad you're not close to the Cape, I'd give you a lifetime supply. Borax powder mixed with equal parts sugar and the minimum water. Soak cotton balls in it and set out little ant bombs. Kills em' with no chemicals. Borax is the stuff in soap. Harmless.
And yeah you guys are both describing Terro, the best ant killer hands down. The retail stuff is HFCS + borax, and that's literally it. The hfcs is like crack to the ants so they show up in droves at first to get it all, which makes some people think it isn't helping, but increasing ants. It just increases the ants visible, temporarily, as they all rush out to get that sweet, sweet crack. Then they take it back to the hive and feed it to everybody, and then the borax kills them from the inside out.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Thanks for the temp info bro!

And yeah you guys are both describing Terro, the best ant killer hands down. The retail stuff is HFCS + borax, and that's literally it. The hfcs is like crack to the ants so they show up in droves at first to get it all, which makes some people think it isn't helping, but increasing ants. It just increases the ants visible, temporarily, as they all rush out to get that sweet, sweet crack. Then they take it back to the hive and feed it to everybody, and then the borax kills them from the inside out.

Sugar works the same way. They go for it. I got a bag of borax on Amazon and three years later there's hardly a dent in it. Get the smallest amount you can. It's cheep.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I'm safe. 56 degrees here right now. The warmer ocean water will keep temps up around me. We had rain last night but a dry northeast breeze with good sun all day. Perfect weather.

Green Squall

I'm safe. 56 degrees here right now. The warmer ocean water will keep temps up around me. We had rain last night but a dry northeast breeze with good sun all day. Perfect weather.

I'm a little north of you, but it looks like we're back into the 70's for the next few days with full sun. It should be a beautiful weekend. It will be interesting to see if my mountain sativas make it until the end of October, which was definitely a gamble on my part.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Wow. What a day. 66 degrees, bright sun with a slight breeze.
The buds noticeably bulked up yesterday and last night.
They started to flop and are straining against the netting with their weight.:dance013:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Wow. What a day. 66 degrees, bright sun with a slight breeze.
The buds noticeably bulked up yesterday and last night.
They started to flop and are straining against the netting with their weight.:dance013:

Niiiiiiice!

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Mine are definitely getting chunky :biggrin: today noticing some plants leaning a little from the weight they are definitely swelling. Gonna water tomorrow as they haven't had water in 6 days and its supposed to be warm for the next few. Hopefully it keeps up like this for a couple more weeks. Good luck everyone :peacock:

Just wanted to add that it smells like a hashy, fruity, skunk keeps pissing and I love it hope the neighbors do too :)

Last edited:

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Check for aphids too, spraying with the hose is an effective way to remove them and maybe spray the lower branches with 3-in-1 organocide to prevent their return. Use Bt toxin powder or liquid during budset and budding for caterpillars, same with cabbage squash etc.

You might spray the area surrounding the plants with neem oil or another repellant. Cinnamon powder, boric acid, diatomaceous earth can all be used to create a border or zone less attractive to ants than the other plants/resources in the area. Inside the cinnamon works but I have not tried managing aphids and ants entirely, you can probably clear them away from your plants for a few months using a combination of things.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Since cutting the infested branch off and killing a few that were on the main stalk I haven't seen one yet. I don't know what attracted them to that branch but thankfully seems they are gone. That plant will definitely be ready in a couple weeks so I am watching it very closely.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
I pre-trimmed and chopped my Pakistani x Jamaican plant this morning. It was done.
picture.php

Ninja Fruit was chopped Sunday. It had slight mold issues so I took it down before the rain came in. This pic was about a week ago more or less.
picture.php

picture.php

Chem Kesey x Christmas Tree bud.
Still needs some time.
picture.php

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
I took these photos more than a week ago so the plants are much more advanced at this point.
Lemon OG . About done.
Ill take it down in a few days before the next forecast rain.

picture.php

picture.php

LemChem. Also coming down before the next rains.
picture.php

picture.php

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
:tiphat: Thanks Zeez.

Here's a couple more.

Blue Dream Cookies.
Needs more time. Keeping my fingers crossed.
picture.php

picture.php

Tony's Gorilla Bubble Bx4
This was about ten days ago too. I had to net her up today. Getting heavy and floppy. Ill take more current pics in a day or so.
picture.php

picture.php

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Despite the weather, Cool Creek's Lemchem and Lemon OG have shown good mold resistance for the second year in a row as has Jaw's Blue Dream Cookies.
The Chem Kesey x CTB and Bags of Skunks and Oranges from Useful Seeds has shown great mold resistance also.
I havent posted pics of the Bags of Skunk and Oranges plant but despite being planted late it has turned into a big open structured round monster that is plastered with rock hard fist and golf ball sized buds.
Biggest loser this year was a White Widow of local origin that turned into a mold magnet and started to melt before my eyes. LOL. I cut my loses, chopped it and it went into the bubble bag freezer pile.