What's new

Mass Grass 2018

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I put these up on the OGKB thread and thought you guys might like too.

OGKB 2.0
picture.php

Forum Cookies
picture.php

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Going out this morning to use a leaf blower on my plants to try and dry them out....AFTER I cut out any rotten buds. Dont want to blow spores all over my buds.

I love this thread, because I'm also a MassHole grower.

I had an account here last year, but got really paranoid and shut her down. I was "Scott64a" and mostly posted about the Nepalese Jamaican I was growing.
Well, I got good seeds last year and loved the NJ... and grew some more this year.

It's an earlier version, c.2007-2009 or so, probably reeferman's stock.
It's susceptible to mold... WICKED bad.

Last year, it took twice daily visits and much poring over the flowers to find, treat and eliminate botrytis and I only ended up losing like 5% of the crop. That was WORK.

This year, I tried manifolding them, and of course... learned a lot more about growing cannabis!

The NJ did "OK" with manifolding... but didn't love it. I certainly go better yields on the plants last year where they were allowed to just do what they want to do. Still, I put up a 6X8 greenhouse, raised it up 3ft and left the side panels OFF. It was just to keep them from soaking rains, and it worked -so far.

I tried manifolding for 4 tops and 8 tops. Eight did better... nice, fat colas! Not, mind you, the big colas that the untamed plant produced, so maybe next year I'll try super-cropping them only.

Of the 8 seeds I planted, only one was male. ONE!!!
Coincidentally, I was on a two week trip while they turned over to being sexy... and that male had JUST started letting down pollen, and well... if I hadn't just pulled it out violently, I'd not have germinated some early flowers.

Bob Ross would say there are no mistakes though... only "happy accidents". He must have grown weed. (I mean, listen to the guy TALK!!!)
The happy accident here is that I had two big Triple Cheese clones in the greenhouse at that time, and now I have 2-3 fully developed seeds at the bottom of each big bud.

Next year, I'm growing them to see what happens. I'll have to think of a name if they are good. Nepal Cheese Jamaican? Triple Nurple? Can't think of one now.

So!

I moved the 3Ch outside, because they were SO frigging big they HAD to get outside -even, -especially after super-cropping! They are just about done now. All cloudy trichomes for the past week and a half, now the fan leaves are purple-tipped, and it's going into senescence, for sure. The buds have stopped swelling, and are hard as rocks -very heavy and frosty.

I'm cutting those this weekend.

I keep an eye on this thread often, and with the recent mold discussions, I have to ask:
Aren't you guys using GreenCure?!?

I know after last year's fight, (Hurricane Jose, anyone?) I began using it as a preventative two weeks into flower. So far, I've had two 1 inch spots of mold on ONE NJ -the leafiest pheno.

The 3Ch have had almost NO issues with mold, though I did spot and treat a couple of seed pods that were starting to get fuzzy and brown. I cut that little interior branch and gave it a soak with GC, then I soaked the buds down. SO hard.

I hit that NJ SO hard as well... with weather like this, I do it every 2-3 days. Fuck that mold, and FUCK New England weather.

It's shit weather.

Here's a 3Ch from a week and a half ago, and the leafier NJ from the same day.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78144&pictureid=1884677

NJ:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=78144&pictureid=1884678

We've lost a few buds to botrytis. About 7 grams worth so far at week 5 flower. The Hammers Kush is Cherry Cookies x C-Banana s1 and is prone to budrot in high humidity conditions. With this cold rain, Im expecting major loses. Im sure the Blue Dreams will do ok. The 8 HK's are 99% gonna be a problem.... big time.
The rot was starting on the tip tops of the buds. Not a good sign for the next 3 weeks!! Ill be out there with a leaf blower drying them out as soon as the rain stops. :covereyes::lightning::cuss: :wallbash:

If rot starts breaking out randomly all over.........Ill harvest in 2 weeks, save all I can, and make concentrates with these terp monsters.
The HK gotta make award winning snaps.

From what I'm learning, it's so much the rain and humidity, it's the cool nights and the fog that settles in on them.
I got the first small moldy patch after a stretch of sunny dry days... with temps in the low 50s at night and DEW.

Doesn't matter if they are under a greenhouse lid; that cold wetness settles on them so long as there is AIR around them.

I'm betting that since the tops of yours started to mold, it's the same case for you.

Do you use GreenCure?!?

I do; it's the only thing that works for me.

One more note about this year's grow:

About 3 weeks ago, I went out to the patch and found borers had gotten into my stalks in half a dozen sites!!!

Guess what time it was: B.t. time!!!
I sprayed them all down, (so hard, lol,) and even made a syringe to inject it above and below the entry sites.
It worked!

With repeated doses every four days, I've had NO more caterpillars.
Saved a bunch of tops that had been bored into, as well.

After the cats die in there, you shoot an H2)2 solution in there, watch it fizz and go on about your biz. Maybe one more spritz a cpl days later, and they were healed over and still thriving.

I recommend everyone in here get a 10CC syringe, and make a "sharp" for it out of narrow diameter steel tubing. Seriously.
Once they're inside, topical application won't get them, ever. You have to give them a good drink of it right were they hang out.

"Oh, thirsty, little fella? Have some bacteria!"
"ACK!"

hahaha

Friggin corn borers... can't let them hang around, nosuh.

Shoot, I must be high...

We got 2.5" of rain yesterday... and when I went out at lunch time, I had three big branches on the Triple Cheese that were bowed over so badly I had to jam a stick in the ground and lash them to it.

Frigging New England... Gross!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
SO HARD...

UNGH!

I hit these shits as often as the shit weather demands that I do.
Which, recently, is like every other frigging day.

I laughed so hard at "so hard". hahaha
:tiphat: After the rain that came through the other night they needed a nice hard soaking in greencure :D This weekend is either more green cure or pyrethrin depending on how badly the weather fucks western mass till saturday.

Gave the beast another check today after that rain and fog we have had the last 48 hours. Not a sign of mold. I am in awe. I bow down to these East Asia strains! Doing 15' in MA all organic, take that West Coast!

eY42Cax.jpg

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I got some Green Cure and the jar says "for ornamentals". You guys sure about this stuff?

I'm thinking.... Meh......

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Potassium bicarbonate is ok, but there's 15% other ingredients in Green Cure. It is possible to buy food grade potassium bicarbonate at amazon. Pretty cheep too. I know I'm being a PITA about it, but it was allot of work to get this far.

Rained all day here.

I got some Green Cure and the jar says "for ornamentals". You guys sure about this stuff?

If you already see a decent amount of powder, I wouldn't try it. Don't use it as preventative. It could stress the plant or burn some pistals, and a stress plant quickly becomes a sick plant.

I have grown many different strains, and find the plant is going to do what it is going to do. The less you put on and the more you treat her pure and organic

I'm thinking... maybe do more research on it.

It's food grade potassium bicarbonate and you can eat it. Literally.
Tobacco farmers use it, grape growers use it... and if you don't think there are growers more fanatic than cannabis growers, you haven't ever visited a vineyard and spoken with a vintner.
Every part of their individual process is tracked, every additive recorded, conditions for the season, etc to the finest detail... in order to turn out awesome wine.

It's no small feat, either. -Much harder to pull off than herb.
My point is that if a vintner uses it liberally every season, and they're super-conscientious about what all goes on and into their wine grapes for the sake of flavor profiles that have GOT to be reliably phenomenal... how is is bad to apply to cannabis?

If you're paranoid about it, just give the buds a good rinse a few hours before cutting them down. All clean!

If you already see a decent amount of powder, I wouldn't try it. Don't use it as preventative. It could stress the plant or burn some pistals, and a stress plant quickly becomes a sick plant.

I have grown many different strains, and find the plant is going to do what it is going to do. The less you put on and the more you treat her pure and organic

Wrong.
The mold infestation will stress the plant WAY more than having it's pistils singed.

Big deal... it doesn't affect plant growth, it only turns the hairs brown. They'll turn brown anyway when you cut it. Never had a problem using it, and it saved my crop last year.
No bad tastes, no harsh smoke... nothing anyone could ever point to and say, "You used GreenCure, didn't you?"

Really. Rinse them off if you're worried; it's water soluble.

Potassium bicarbonate is ok, but there's 15% other ingredients in Green Cure. It is possible to buy food grade potassium bicarbonate at amazon. Pretty cheep too. I know I'm being a PITA about it, but it was allot of work to get this far.

Rained all day here.

A lot of work to get here, and you're gonna let some of your buds go to mold?

Your choice, dude.
It's your stash and I applaud you for being cautious and giving a shit about what you put on your plants and expose the environment to.

Having said that, I'd urge you to read the material safety data sheet, (MSDS,) of GreenCure, found here: http://www.greencure.net/GreenCure_EZ_MSDS.pdf

It's Non-flammable. Stable. The additives are surfactants that only serve to get your solution down into crevasses and spread the liquid out on a surface, so it doesn't drip off and get wasted on the ground, and can actually penetrate buds somewhat.

So much paranoid misinformation out there regarding cannabis... probably because those who have been growing it are poor record-keepers, are afraid to keep good records or just plain not well-versed in actual science to know any better.

Just read a thread where a guy was asking about aloe vera foliar feeding. Never have I EVER heard of applying aloe to anything but sunburned or dried human skin.
WTH is going on here!?!?! hahaha

I meant to say if you see a decent amount of mildew, try it. But I hesitate to use preventative measures.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

You hesitate to use preventive measures... so you don't brush and floss your teeth twice a day and just rely on the dentist to drill and fill or pull them out as they rot?

The reason I use GC is because the strain I'm growing is known, to me, after growing it last season, to be susceptible to mold.
If left untreated, this older variety of Nepalese Jamaican will turn to rot before my very eyes.

I'd rather spray them down with GC whenever I get the feeling than snip out rotten bud and give that mold a chance to spore out and spread it's obnoxious filth everywhere in my garden.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Good information Scorpion. Thank you. What's your take on using it in a high risk period, Like the lengthy rain spell we've been having? Seems like if it's that benign and and used prevalently then it might be a good call to use now.

Latest posts

Latest posts