What's new

Mass Grass 2018

When I say preventative, I mean store bought solutions to growing problems.

In my grows, I do not use anything I can't produce from scratch in my home. The water, compost, dirt...it all produced here. I do not like using outside chemicals. Even if 'natural' or 'organic', unless I personally saw how it was made or know who put it together, I don't touch it.

I have lost tomatoes and crops to mold. I used to try and fight it off. Then I realized sometimes its just the particular season, or the particular genetics. I learn better growing techniques. I will shake and prune my plants as necessary. Help support branches.

Nepal Jam has been interbred for so long that seeds after 2010 I hesitate to grow outside. My friend grew 4 nepal jam indoors, and they all got PM. He was shocked. No matter how many times he brushed their teeth, those guys were getting PM.

My suggestion is go for stable genetics without too much interbreeding. Orient Express is solid right now, or probably OE x NJ. I plan on growing that one next year given interbreeding should revitalize the NJ genetics.

By all means, do what works for you. For me, I hesitate to put anything bought from a store on my plants, especially during flower. I don't need to find out 5 years later that the manufacturer was processing my spray in the same vats used for roundup or turpentine.

If it works for you, let us know. It is information I think most of us want. I just have my own code of conduct with my plants you could say. Probably weird. My plants haven't complained yet.

Good information Scorpion. Thank you. What's your take on using it in a high risk period, Like the lengthy rain spell we've been having? Seems like if it's that benign and and used prevalently then it might be a good call to use now.

Oh, this is the absolute BEST time to use it. Last year, during and after Hurricane Jose, (that asshole,) I found GC because I had a lot of sites starting to mold.

I HAD to try something, and I'm glad I found GC. As I've said, it saved my crop.

This year, same shit weather... right in the middle of September.
These are the best conditions for mold to start up and grow. It's cool at night, and some days... and damp. Even when it's NOT damp, the cool air at night condenses and lands on all of the plants' surfaces.This germinates mold spores, and if your strain is prone to mold, it WILL get moldy.

GROSS!

When I say preventative, I mean store bought solutions to growing problems.

In my grows, I do not use anything I can't produce from scratch in my home. The water, compost, dirt...it all produced here. I do not like using outside chemicals. Even if 'natural' or 'organic', unless I personally saw how it was made or know who put it together, I don't touch it.

I have lost tomatoes and crops to mold. I used to try and fight it off. Then I realized sometimes its just the particular season, or the particular genetics. I learn better growing techniques. I will shake and prune my plants as necessary. Help support branches.

Nepal Jam has been interbred for so long that seeds after 2010 I hesitate to grow outside. My friend grew 4 nepal jam indoors, and they all got PM. He was shocked. No matter how many times he brushed their teeth, those guys were getting PM.

My suggestion is go for stable genetics without too much interbreeding. Orient Express is solid right now, or probably OE x NJ. I plan on growing that one next year given interbreeding should revitalize the NJ genetics.

By all means, do what works for you. For me, I hesitate to put anything bought from a store on my plants, especially during flower. I don't need to find out 5 years later that the manufacturer was processing my spray in the same vats used for roundup or turpentine.

If it works for you, let us know. It is information I think most of us want. I just have my own code of conduct with my plants you could say. Probably weird. My plants haven't complained yet.

Well, that's NOT the definition of "preventative". It means to do something in an attempt to stop a problem from happening, not "store-bought" things.

I think you're kind of paranoid, and while I like that you make what you can yourself... there is currently NO mold killer that's as safe or as effective than GC.

Sodium bicarbonate, (baking soda,) is NOT appropriate to use, as it contains salt... and that ruins leaf tissue.

So organic agriculture has been using this product for 20 years, and it was developed by a professor of horticulture at Ohio State University, but somehow you think that he and the people who produce it are so fucked that they will mix arsenic into it by accidentally putting it in a drum that once held arsenic?!?

Sheeeeeiit.

You asked me to let you know, and I already DID.
It works. It's safe. It's not toxic or cancer-causing.

I love how you are so paranoid about something like potassium bicarbonate but you'll regularly torch dried weed and inhale the smoke.

You are out of your mind.
:tiphat:

I'm not saying that to be rude...

Being out of one's mind can be a good thing -just not when factual information is presented and critical thinking is required to learn something.

Get BACK down here to earth!!!

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I used green cure last year and it did nothing really for me other than eventually killing my leaves. I am not saying it doesnt work because clearly people have used it and had success but I couldn't figure it out.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Potassium Bicarbonate is organic listed and pretty much everything using it as it's active ingredient, Green Cure, KaliGreen, etc, are all OMRI listed for use on tobacco, which is the closest you are gonna get for anything tested on a combusted plant until it becomes legal on a federal level to test marijuana. It's considered a food safe additive in the European Union and listed as E-501. :tiphat: For use in tobacco it is recommended to stop spraying it at a minimum of 10 days before harvest.

I used green cure last year and it did nothing really for me other than eventually killing my leaves. I am not saying it doesnt work because clearly people have used it and had success but I couldn't figure it out.

How much did you mix into a gallon?

I've done a 1.5 scoop/gallon dose and while it burned the pistils, nothing else was harmed -except the mold haha

Fan leaves DO die off during finishing, and plenty of other things can cause that, too.
I'm sorry it didn't help you last year.

Potassium Bicarbonate is organic listed and pretty much everything using it as it's active ingredient, Green Cure, KaliGreen, etc, are all OMRI listed for use on tobacco, which is the closest you are gonna get for anything tested on a combusted plant until it becomes legal on a federal level to test marijuana. It's considered a food safe additive in the European Union and listed as E-501. :tiphat: For use in tobacco it is recommended to stop spraying it at a minimum of 10 days before harvest.

That is excellent info, APH.

Thanks.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Excellent!! All of this. Thank you.

Finally getting breaks in the rain today. Going to do a test drive on some of them today.

Excellent!! All of this. Thank you.

Finally getting breaks in the rain today. Going to do a test drive on some of them today.

Gads, but this weather...

Cool and drizzly today. 55 degrees. Gross.

Good luck to all my fellow Massholes; here's to a good finish, despite New England weather.

Speaking of test drives... I snipped some larf from inside the NJ plants a few days ago, dried in a drawer and rolled into a small joint.

Holy hell... it's like rocket fuel. Trippy and racy!
Still, it has all the things I love about this Nepalese Jamaican -a true sativa high, not much body, except your face gets HOT after a big rip, and you get a minor headrush.
Can't wait til they finish up in October.

The Triple Cheese are ready now... so one will get cut tomorrow; the other during the full moon around Monday. The "Corn Moon" is coming at 10:54PM that day.

They'll get cut Tuesday pre-dawn, just to see what, if any effects the pull of the moon has on them.
Why not, right?

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
It's sunny here. Cool but a sunny day. I'll take it.
The P.Bicarb w/Dr.Bonners mix got my plants through the rainy spell last few days. No new mold. It is working well. A few burnt pistols but I'll take that over mold any day.

So what are everyone's most resistant strains, thus far?

Bloo Dream Cookies from Jaws Gear has done well. Not totally mold resistant but pretty good considering..

Blue Cookies x SFV looked like it was going to do well for a while but a couple weeks ago it had a melt down and had to be harvested. No mold resistance at all, really.

Star of the show so far has been Cool Creek Genetic's LemChem. Nice fat dense buds no mold whatsoever so far. Hoping to be able to give it another week or so.

therevverend

Veteran
Potassium Bicarbonate is a common food additive it's in a lot of stuff. It's commonly used in wine and mead making, drink a bottle of wine and you're probably drinking it. It's added to carbonated drinks to make them fizzy, as a potassium supplement, and as a leavening agent in baked goods. It's used to balance acidity in foods and to get rid of heartburn. It's considered kosher and halal.
If you're concerned about the purity standards of products used in agriculture, you can easily find food grade potassium bicarbonate on the internet. If you consider sodium bicarbonate safe to use in baking then you can consider potassium bicarbonate safe as well. Very similar.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran

Long Valley Royal Kush x Black Lime Reserve is looking very nice and is mold resistant.
The Blue Dreams are kicking ass too.
Surprizingly enough, the super mold prone Hammers Kush, has been handling the high humidity pretty good so far. Not too much rot, so far.
2 more weeks........... :dance013:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
My weakest plant is a platinum huklberry cookies that keeps having a bud or two a day with boytrytis. My strongest looking is scout breath and damn does it look like it will kick your ass. Biggest cola`s are on my cognac which are about 12-16 inches and swelling sparkling beasts. So far I am happy just scoped a few of the buds I cut to hang and they are about 50/50 milky/clear while I prefer more amber at least it will work.

It's sunny here. Cool but a sunny day. I'll take it.

Western MA has had only one day with rain the last week, the hurricane. I think not being too close to the coast gives us less a chance of drizzly weather.

Bangi Haze has been fairly resistant to mold and wet weather. However the genetics are getting weaker, so I won't be growing it again.

My Orient Express plants are handling the weather very well. Better than any plant I have grown outdoors before. I will probably do a full report of my grow this year next month.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor

Raining again this morning on the Cape. Sun coming through a bit. Hope it stays

No mold so far. Just some caterpillar attacks.

OGkB 2
Scout Breath
Forum
GSCTM
GG4
WW
ECSD
Almost forgot HK

Last edited:
Potassium Bicarbonate is a common food additive it's in a lot of stuff. It's commonly used in wine and mead making, drink a bottle of wine and you're probably drinking it. It's added to carbonated drinks to make them fizzy, as a potassium supplement, and as a leavening agent in baked goods. It's used to balance acidity in foods and to get rid of heartburn. It's considered kosher and halal.
If you're concerned about the purity standards of products used in agriculture, you can easily find food grade potassium bicarbonate on the internet. If you consider sodium bicarbonate safe to use in baking then you can consider potassium bicarbonate safe as well. Very similar.

Very similar, but it doesn't contain the "stickers" used in GC. Studies done by Dr. Horst at Cornell U found that the entire leaf surfaces need to be completely covered to kil off the spores, or it just starts in the areas where the solution didn't stay.

I agree; if someone is worried about the agricultural version... try the food grade stuff.

Regarding the stains listed above, I'm making notes for next year.

For me, Triple Cheese was the most mold resistant I've seen so far -one little spot and that was right on a mature seed-bearing calyx.

Sort of what it's supposed to do: The calyx becomes weaker and the mold steps in the help release the seed as it's ready. It's really a symbiotic relationship, though these two need to keep their hands to themselves in MY patch.

I also keep a spray bottle loaded with 3% hydrogen peroxide and water to touch up areas affected and keep that mold DOWN.

I can't imagine anyone allowing mold to grow in their cannabis gardens for any reason; especially since it WILL wipe an entire crop out and render that flower useless.
I wouldn't even make hash from it. Gross.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
Forum breath #2 just got some PM today, just greencured fully saturating under and on top of plant. Gonna hit it again Saturday after the rain stops. Will start harvesting 10-14 days from Saturday, gotta get while the gettin is good. Does greencure go bad as this was leftover from last season? Doesn't seem like it could change at the molecular level.

Forum breath #2 just got some PM today, just greencured fully saturating under and on top of plant. Gonna hit it again Saturday after the rain stops. Will start harvesting 10-14 days from Saturday, gotta get while the gettin is good. Does greencure go bad as this was leftover from last season? Doesn't seem like it could change at the molecular level.

Not that I know of... I'm using the stuff I got last year at this time and it's working very well.

I bet it would degrade if left in direct sunlight, but otherwise, potassium bicarbonate is listed in the MSDS sheet as "stable".

Latest posts

Latest posts