What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Zamaldelica Cob
This was rolled up tight in a fresh corn husk, sat in cool one day then vacuum sealed for 2 1/2 weeks, then sat in cool spot with bag open for 4 days...

View Image

View Image

View Image

The other two, one in a pre dried husk, havent been open yet, this one still seems pretty green to me. Any tips for me Tangwena? Should I seal them back up for a while, or just let um sit longer in a cool dry place?

Hi Get Mo they should be fine but wrap them back up and let them dry, were they wet when unwrapped?
Sometimes it pays to leave them 5 days or so before sealing them up to start the sweating, also fatter is better ha ha. It helps generate heat and sweat.
But saying that I would be happy with how they look at the moment. You can get golden and orange/amber colors by leaving them to sweat longer before sealing.
But again after a month or so slow drying that zam looks like it will be dynamite.
I was salivating looking at the close ups. Its hard to fuck it up but even harder to get the cure how you want, practice will make perfection in the end, but the practice is a lot of fun on the way brother. I wish i could try some of that cob in a month, keep it wrapped up but not sealed so it dries slowly, you want it to keep slightly moist in storage.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
View Image

View Image

View Image

The opened COB.
Wonder what happens to seeds, will make a test.

Taste +10, very smooth.

Any takes on Banana peels? Inside out?

PEACE
:tiphat:

Palmero looks good what strain was it? If you like the taste next time use a couple of ounces it makes a big difference.
Banana skins will not work they are to soft plus they can rot.
The cobs i used to get in Africa had viable seeds in so it doesn't kill seeds.
Tangwena

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Smoked a lil piece last night, all I can remember is it reminded me of my second time smoking weed, wish i could remember more, next time i will smoke it without any alcohol in my system, cuz all i remember is smoking it, being dumbass crazy body high, then waking up.

waveguide

Veteran
intervening briefly.. scuse me for being all soggy or whatever -

if you drive two alloy poles into the earth and run a wire between them, you can measure an electric current. in fact, there are all kinds of things gonig on with the earth. the earth, man, the earth. get it?

when i read about people trying to make a cob using plastic wrap and burying in sawdust in a plastic trash can, i wonder, what kind of high are you trying to connect to?

S.C. Johnson and Co. have headquarters in racine, wisconsin. try stopping there and see if you get any deep spiritual insight.

plastic, boys? wtf!

what i'm talking about is the earth, man, can you dig it?

palmero

Palmero looks good what strain was it?

This is RoyalMedic, supposed to have high CBD.
Thanks for your infos, so no banana peels.:tiphat:
Will report on the seeds.

Anybody tried Tobacco leafes?

My 2cents about potency: Increased!
B4 good daytime smoke after more @evening.

PEACE

Tangwena

Veteran
Smoked a lil piece last night, all I can remember is it reminded me of my second time smoking weed, wish i could remember more, next time i will smoke it without any alcohol in my system, cuz all i remember is smoking it, being dumbass crazy body high, then waking up.

Hi Get Mo thats some change! give it a few weeks even a month if you can it will evolve.
Yes try it straight no booze to start with and only a couple of tokes and then wait and see. Its easy to overdose on a good cure.
I have a feeling you will have a good cure on the way, some of the trippiest cobs I scored were quite green to look at but didn't taste green only looked green. I once scored a fresh cob of sticky heads that smelt like pine disinfectant 2 drags and I was in space totaly tripped out. I should have aged the cob it would have got better.
But it only lasted a week my friends loved it so much.
I always think cobs are like wine,if its good freshly made it only gets better after a few months ageing.
Anything made with Zamaldelica will space you out.

Tangwena

Veteran
This is RoyalMedic, supposed to have high CBD.
Thanks for your infos, so no banana peels.:tiphat:
Will report on the seeds.

Anybody tried Tobacco leafes?

My 2cents about potency: Increased!
B4 good daytime smoke after more @evening.

PEACE

Hi palmero it will changed the way it works I have never used it on a strain like that it would probably make it very heavy, but in a month who knows, I think it works best on trippy sativa type highs but thats because it is the only one I have experience with and I know what to expect.
Tangwena

koles[cz]

Hi koles should work fine dont open it for at least a couple of weeks, if its wet when you open it then you have done it right. Post some pics when you do open it to see how it has cured. Once you have a bit of experience at it you will be able to cure them the exact way you prefer. Whole new world of getting high coming your way my friend.
Tangwena

"the cob has opened. i repeat the cob has opened.."

Yes, after three weeks I finally opened the cob and examined the state of product. First thing, it wasn't wet, no sweat at all, still little bit too humid. Buds melted together nicely, holding it feels almost like a wooden stick :) The scale reads 9.25g meaning it has lost only 0.25g so far. As it is already smokable, I suspect the starting bud humidity being too low.. so maybe next time.

picture.php
picture.php

Not sure if it got the right cure (most likely not), however some cure ocurred for sure. The smell is nice and superior compared to the unpressed product and it has kind of sweet aftertaste to it. The high is somewhat calming, clear and less racy. Still needs more testing to judge properly. Looking forward to the fully dried product in a just few days I guess..

Anyway, thank you for the valuable info. Added to my experience, I'm sure next time I try again will get it just right ;)

Tangwena

Veteran
"the cob has opened. i repeat the cob has opened.."

Yes, after three weeks I finally opened the cob and examined the state of product. First thing, it wasn't wet, no sweat at all, still little bit too humid. Buds melted together nicely, holding it feels almost like a wooden stick :) The scale reads 9.25g meaning it has lost only 0.25g so far. As it is already smokable, I suspect the starting bud humidity being too low.. so maybe next time.

View Image View Image

Not sure if it got the right cure (most likely not), however some cure ocurred for sure. The smell is nice and superior compared to the unpressed product and it has kind of sweet aftertaste to it. The high is somewhat calming, clear and less racy. Still needs more testing to judge properly. Looking forward to the fully dried product in a just few days I guess..

Anyway, thank you for the valuable info. Added to my experience, I'm sure next time I try again will get it just right ;)

hi Koles looking good mate, you cant stuff it up what you have will age nicely, the taste and smell are good thats the first thing you want, but the sweating when it occurs will seal the deal.
Its frightening at first opening the bag to a wet cob, you think oh no its rotted, but no, once it has dried for a few days the results speak for themselves, still your cob will be different from the jar cured and that is the thing you are looking for.
Practice makes perfect as long as you are getting a different effect that you like its a winner. The real deal takes a bit of practice but thats like anything worth doing, playing around with the initial drying and the sweating will surprise you when you finally get a handle on it.
Tangwena

HiVibes

Thank you Tangwena and the brave ones who tried it for all the info!
Just read through this whole thread. My first grow ever will be ready to harvest within a week or so. I plan on trying this method along with regular jar and freezer cure techniques as well. Will report back soon :D

Holeshot

Bamboo leaf cure

Bamboo leaf cure

Hey Tang, I did my first Malawi cob , sort of.!! I wrapped the buds in large bamboo leaves. They are about 12 cm long just a few choice buds in each . Then I tied it up with some leftover twine . !! Yeah I know there's a heap of twine on it ����. Didn't want to cut it!!. Anyway will check in a few days. Bamboo leaves are antibacterial., antifungal ..I'm also going to wash out the inside of a culm and pack some into it to cure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 42

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey Tang, I did my first Malawi cob , sort of.!! I wrapped the buds in large bamboo leaves. They are about 12 cm long just a few choice buds in each . Then I tied it up with some leftover twine . !! Yeah I know there's a heap of twine on it ����. Didn't want to cut it!!. Anyway will check in a few days. Bamboo leaves are antibacterial., antifungal ..I'm also going to wash out the inside of a culm and pack some into it to cure.

Good on you for giving it a try, the cobs work better if you use more bud, but you will see a difference. first try is always a bit of a nervous time but you cant stuff the buds up so its quite safe really.
Tangwena

Holeshot

Malawi cob

Malawi cob

Unwrapped it today . looks and smells good. Will dry it slow now . And cure for as long as I can possibly wait.!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 49

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi holeshot dont let it dry too quick as its very thin it will dry fast, keep it wrapped in the plastic so it slowly dries, being malawi it should be very powerful.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Type 2 cob curing

Type 2 cob curing

These buds are ready for curing the main stalks still bend not snap the outer leaves are brittle but the bud is sticky and a little moist, you could spark a very aromatic joint from them but it may need relighting after the first hit has you getting hung up on spiders on the wall ha ha.
Here is some pics of the 4 types of bud I am using.
From the left GT 2013 lemon, Panama, GT 2015 and Panama x Malawi.
They are more open type flowers and the type of cob for these is large and less compacted. They take twice as long to cure as the more compressed cobs that are made from dense, sticky buds.
But the result can be a very intense strong trippy high. The best kind.
I will be leaving these 4 weeks to sweat, without opening them up half way to check them.

Tangwena

Veteran
Ready for sweating

Ready for sweating

Each cob will be sealed in a vac bag with the left over buds from the same plant rolled in kitchen paper towel to sweat along with the cob.
After it is opened in 4 weeks it will, if all goes well, be as good as its possible for it to be and then I will slowly dry them until they are good to store long time in a jar or vac bag.
That way I get compacted cured buds and a cob of compacted head that has cured to perfection.
Tangwena

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
thank you Tangwena.
i gave this a try with good buds. i think they were too dry, because the cob was not wet not even damp when unwrapped.
the smell was no longer loud but sweet as described above. the draw was smooth and mellow.
after my wife tried it she felt like she had taken shrooms.
we both giggled alot and i found myself talking to the cob.
trippy tech!

blaze on.

Tangwena

Veteran
thank you Tangwena.
i gave this a try with good buds. i think they were too dry, because the cob was not wet not even damp when unwrapped.
the smell was no longer loud but sweet as described above. the draw was smooth and mellow.
after my wife tried it she felt like she had taken shrooms.
we both giggled alot and i found myself talking to the cob.
trippy tech!

blaze on.

Hi my friend sounds like you got it pretty close, the main thing you are looking for is a bit of variation in your harvest, jar cured buds are great, but having some buds that taste and effect you differently is nice, variety is the spice of life.
Bud that effects you like shrooms is what I am aiming for every time.
Tangwena