What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
Nice colors there Madjag was it wet when you unpacked it? If it was its on its way to be some seriously tasty smoke mate. Smoke report would be good when she is ready and try and keep some to age a few months it will be even better.
Tangwena

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Madjag,

That looks great. It looks like the good old days.
:tiphat:

Tangwena - Thanks again for this thread.

ThaiBliss

Madjag

Veteran
It smells like fruit and is nice and dry. I'm happy because I wasn't sure exactly what level of moistness it should be to start with. But hey, it's an experiment and thanks for the inspiration Tang Man.

I've broken off a tiny piece for now and will keep the rest in a bottle for 3 months before hitting it again.

First smoke report next week - a side by side report with the same, but regularly harvested Angola Red for comparison. mmmm.....

Tangwena

Veteran
Madjag try and keep the stored piece wrapped and in a vac bag, its only just started curing.
It would have been better if it was wet when unwrapped. Maybe next time a little moister it should have sweated a bit more. But I am sure it will still taste good, just not super good.
Cobs are like making wine, the grapes time of picking, where grown what kind of weather all are important in making wine, the same with cobs every crop will produce different cobs. When harvested, how dry going in, how long sweated for, how stored after curing.
A good grow, intuitive grower, slow dry, good sweat, good cobs stored well, plus time will make dynamite cobs, never to be replicated, one off's, to be stored and aged.
Some years will be better than others every year striving to make it better each time.
For nothing but the pleasure of getting high and growing the plant.
Tangwena

Madjag

Veteran
Tangwena,

My Angola was a bit drier when I started than it could have been. It was just at the point of being able to smoke it, but apparently that is actually too dry or it would have been wet when unwrapped. I'll keep it jarred and wrapped to see if that helps it along as you have said. Next year I'll use different stages of freshly harvested herb, like in the Malawi videos on YouTube and as you have suggested.

It's an worthy experiment. I think even the moistness of the corn husks are a huge variable. My husks were sort of dry, still green, but not really much moisture.

Moist husks would definitely add to the sweating potential.

Last edited:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
yo ..Tangwena... can't get corn this time of year, so took 1/2 of our 130day golden tiger , about 2 1/2 oz's, and wrapped it in heavy brown paper, then tied it, and then into a seal a meal... did that last week, i'll open it next week... presuming all is ok next week, do we then put into a mason jar to further cure, or should be put back into a seal a meal...

thanks

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Zack if it has sweated in the bag you will need to dry it before long term storage, I wish you the best of luck let me know when you open them if they have sweated. It will be obvious as they will be damp. GT will cure to be awesome smoke i cant wait to cure the one I have growing.
Tangwena

Anonimas1989

Anonimas all indicas give me a headache ha ha, just joking my friend. i have no idea why that happened.
Let it dry out and age it may help, otherwise it must be the buds I have no idea. This is the first time I have heard of anyone using indica types, what does it do to the stone?
i prefer sativa buds, strong buds make the best cobs IMO.
Tangwena

Hey mate, I have made some sativa buds into hbwr https://www.erowid.org/plants/hbw/hbw.shtml leafs Im growing at my home, it is a variety of morning glory with high natural content of lsa (natural lsd) I have tripped from 3seeds and gained so many experience about who we are and what we are doing in this place we call productive society. So it really depends on where do you wrap your dope, This way I have vaporised 0.5gr. and had very hallucinating very colourful dreamy effect we do not have from weed or I just haven't tried such a weed. I have jar cured it about a week and a half and while they were still wet enough I have finished curing in hbwr leaf, some pics here:

I believe that one who loves or know plant is suited for him should use that plant material, LSA cannot be smoked it cannot survive long enough in sunlight like, but you can get those effects over smoke if you do wrap it up with your buds it will give its knowledgeable specific and you will smoke entirely different stuff :) There are a lot of stuff ayahuasca is made of I will try next time to use mother ayahuasca materials :)

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Anonimas if it works for you, more power to you my friend, my mind has enough trouble handling the stuff I cure malawi style, any stronger and I may loose my sanity, so I will keep to what I know.
I have been tripping on Zamaldelica cob for 3 days and I feel a change of personality coming on so its back to the GT for a while ha ha.
Tangwena

Boss Cocky

Hi Tangwena, This is a great thread. I've got some Kali Mist that is nearly ready to chop. I look forward to trying your cob method on it. You mentioned that the herb seems stronger when cobbed. You said that it may just be that you smoke more because it is more compacted. Have you ever weighed the amount you put into a joint/bowl with the cobbed vs regular?

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena, This is a great thread. I've got some Kali Mist that is nearly ready to chop. I look forward to trying your cob method on it. You mentioned that the herb seems stronger when cobbed. You said that it may just be that you smoke more because it is more compacted. Have you ever weighed the amount you put into a joint/bowl with the cobbed vs regular?

HI my friend I hope you get a good result, I have never weighed it but I would say it would be about the same if it was expanded out to be loose. Its more like a rough hash in appearance if you compress it as much as i do.
you only need a pin joint and a couple of drags normaly, but if i have a joint of jar cured i need a joint as fat as a ciggy, just you never get the same high.
With a good strain well grown and cured you will easily be able to see the difference in the high.
IMO jar curing is not a cure its just age ing the dried bud. If you sweat cure the bud even if its not cobbed, it changes the look taste and effect dramaticaly. As others have pointed out the buds look like shit and nothing to look at, but once you have tried sweat cured done properly you will be converted and know what I mean.
Good luck it may change your life for the better.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Fans of this thread should go vote for Tangweena's photo in the Photo of the Month contest.

Hi my friend thats really cool of you to think so highly of the thread, but its really only for those who seek to improve their highs. If one person finds some reward from getting it right then they can pass it on and so on. This should be just a step in the process of enjoying your grow.
But i love the vibe on this forum especialy the sativa growers who know how good a high can get.
Peace and good growing to all, excuse the ramble but I am well into a GT cob trip and everything is wonderful.
Tangwena

palmero

This is banana leaf style with secondary buds (first test)
after nine days.
Thank you Tangwena for this thread.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

PEACE

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Zamaldelica Cob
This was rolled up tight in a fresh corn husk, sat in cool one day then vacuum sealed for 2 1/2 weeks, then sat in cool spot with bag open for 4 days...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The other two, one in a pre dried husk, havent been open yet, this one still seems pretty green to me. Any tips for me Tangwena? Should I seal them back up for a while, or just let um sit longer in a cool dry place?

Tangwena

Veteran
Palmero nice color on those buds looks very well cured, I like it when i get that sort of result.

Get Mo your getting the hang of it now, that zam looks like it will fuck you up ha ha, love zam, its my favorite energiser, I feel like i am 16 on acid when i have my zam cob magic stuff.
Tangwena

palmero

StillCap57.jpg

StillCap59.jpg

StillCap60.jpg

The opened COB.
Wonder what happens to seeds, will make a test.

Taste +10, very smooth.

Any takes on Banana peels? Inside out?

PEACE