What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

harvestreaper

Veteran
just tried this for the first time had no vacum sealer so just used hoover some pics in my gallery of buds after 1 week

i did try and post them here but im doing somethin wrong lol

Tangwena

Veteran
Getting it on

Getting it on

Today I was raiding my stash and getting a few chunks for day to day chewing from the cellar.
I went with the Thai pheno Golden Tiger today as I want to freak out for a change. Its just starting to work, its like MDMA and starting to get blissful 0.5g as I want to get really fucked up ha ha.
Some pics of the Thai GT, Malaw GT, Panama and buds cured loose the same way as the cobs. These were from a short fast week long cure, the taste is heavenly.

Have a nice day Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi harvestreaper, its hard to tell from the picture because of the flash but it seems to getting there ok.
Did you have a sweet smell coming from the cob when you opened the wrapper?
What sort of weed did you use?
Post your pics in an album you create from the menu on the left of the screen when you click "my IC" ,once you have an album then go to reply/ "go advanced" and click up load file and select the picture from your album.
Its easy that way. Post a few more in natural light so we can see, it doesn't look too bad and should be ok if you keep your eyes open for mold.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Changes

Changes

Here are some Swazi buds i cobbed and some Panama loosely cobbed buds that were sweated for 5 days before ageing. They are awesome taste and outstanding strength. Chewed 0.25g is an all day affair with your dreams becoming reality.

Tangwena

Levitationofme

Smoke um, Eat um
It's all good.
different buzzes.

I am about to try my Chemdog cob, its been a couple few weeks of ageing.
Smokin it this time. I have to work in a couple hours.
Cheers and drink some Espresso!
Join the club

Tangwena

Veteran
Your boss must be very understanding my friend.I look forward to your report on the one month aged to see if there is any difference. Bong on
Tangwena

Levitationofme

Lucky for me he is the most understanding boss of them all ME.
I cut a very thin slice and dried it some for a Bong hit.

Burned as though it were 2 or 3 bong hits. No longer reminiscent of the Chem Dog smell.
It was much different then the traditional bud. Couple hours into the buzz its still at a nice consistent flowing high, very introspective. I wish I had the time to just sit and enjoy the buzz but not happening.
No burn out, although I do not feel especially motivated to move.

Can't wait to start building a supply of cobs.

I will always reserve some bud for cobbing in future grows.

I am sweating a few buds of Panama. My darn machine wont just seal, it has to vacuum first. My first try was epic fail. The baggie seal was not enough to keep the moisture in the bag and form any sweat. It dried the bud which was handy. I sealed up a bud and sweating it now it's been 24 hours.
I have run out of ready to cob material for a week or so.

Tangwena

Veteran
Yes its not easy to get a good cob, it helps to have the right type of bud to start with and to get the best results you really need a good vacuum sealer and a warm environment.
If you stick to the formula you will get the best results, any deviation is always a bit of a gamble.
Its not a magic formula it takes a bit of practice and you need to get a feel for the fermentation process. The best results are with energetic powerful sativas as that is what it was originally used for in Malawi. Anything with an already heavy or narcotic feel tends to just get heavier. But practice and lots of it makes perfect once mastered its an art to cure good buds this way, not a silver bullet.
Tangwena

Levitationofme

The 2 day hot cure on those Panama buds ended up a tad drier then I would like. I will have to dry the buds a couple days less before sweat. In anycase the couple bong hits I did this morning were
fricken great. If that was the end product of the fun I had growing those buds I am a happy dude...

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Just dropped off some samples of my Juanita la Lagrimosa both jar cured and cob cured. I am getting the 11 cannabinoid profile done. This should tell us if the THCA gets decarbed with this process.

I believe it does, and I think I know why. When doing a citric acid extraction, decarb is not necessary because the acid does that job for you. When we ferment we also create acid. That vinegar smell is a dead giveaway that we have acetic acid.

Nup

Hello, Tangwena and all!

So it's been a week (well six days), since the weed was cobed.
I probably put it in a little too early. (Earlier then I'd have started jar curing). It smells a little funny. A mix between the corny-hay, weed and a sickly kinda smell. Which isn't really sweet but very peculiar. So I'm guessing it got to ferment enough.

Anyway. It's off to dry now and I'll see it again in a week.

attachment.php
[/url]
attachment.php
[/url]

As for comments in the thread, i didn't know that it was edible. Very interesting too. Really could have some beef jerky type of stuff :p

Shame that you found it to make indicas heavier. And this is already in that category. At worst I'll have me a stach of anti-insomnia weed!

Anyway, Happy curing all!

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpg
    IMG_2742.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2744.jpg
    IMG_2744.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 28

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Nup from the pics it looks like you got a good cure so your on your way. It will be interesting to get your opinion on the changes to the high or stone.
I have cured hybrids this way and it was very good. I dont grow indicas so I cant comment on the result, but from the reports I get it does work, but you cant get something out if it wasn't there in the first place. ie trippy feeling, but every strain has something to offer and the main purpose is to make it pleasant to smoke.
Chewing the cob of a strong indica dominant strain has the effect similar to opium I have been told, so if you like the deep narcotic dreamy effects, it should work very well for you.
Please do an in depth evaluation once it has aged for a month you may be very pleasantly surprised.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Just dropped off some samples of my Juanita la Lagrimosa both jar cured and cob cured. I am getting the 11 cannabinoid profile done. This should tell us if the THCA gets decarbed with this process.

I believe it does, and I think I know why. When doing a citric acid extraction, decarb is not necessary because the acid does that job for you. When we ferment we also create acid. That vinegar smell is a dead giveaway that we have acetic acid.
Hi Reikox can you elaborate on the vinegar type smell, that doesn't sound right to me, you should have a sweet smell.
Tangwena

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Sorry, let me clarify, that smell was from after the sweat and a few days later when I opened it up to check on it. It's, that sweet slightly bitter smell. That same sickly smell Nup described just after me. It's the smell of fermenting. As with other fermentation processes, it usually stops when the fermentation is complete or haunted. Like the way beer smells like yeast when fermenting, but doesn't when it's done.

I definitely didn't intend to mean that the finished product smells like vinegar. Rather that the fermentation process likely produced acetic or lactic acids during the process. That is why I think the THCA is activated and more Bio available.

A lot of foods we eat are fermented. It's a great process and the application to herb is exactly what sets this methid apart from other methods. Sorry if I'm rambling, I've been puffing tough all day long and think I'm about to test the Bio availability on myself.
:kos:

Tangwena

Veteran
Sorry, let me clarify, that smell was from after the sweat and a few days later when I opened it up to check on it. It's, that sweet slightly bitter smell. That same sickly smell Nup described just after me. It's the smell of fermenting. As with other fermentation processes, it usually stops when the fermentation is complete or haunted. Like the way beer smells like yeast when fermenting, but doesn't when it's done.

I definitely didn't intend to mean that the finished product smells like vinegar. Rather that the fermentation process likely produced acetic or lactic acids during the process. That is why I think the THCA is activated and more Bio available.

A lot of foods we eat are fermented. It's a great process and the application to herb is exactly what sets this methid apart from other methods. Sorry if I'm rambling, I've been puffing tough all day long and think I'm about to test the Bio availability on myself.
:kos:
Thank god alls well that amonia smell is not a good sign and thats what I thought you meant. Alls good now good luck with the tests. It will be interesting, Madjag got his tested for molds ect but not for the THC. The mold tests were all 100% clear so thats good news for anyone worried about this process having micro scopic molds ect.
Tangwena

Tangwena

Veteran
Swazi cob 4 day cured

Swazi cob 4 day cured

Here is a Swazi cob I made from early harvest pop corn buds the rest are still on the plant.I will rebind the cob tighter and re seal it in the vacuum bag for another week at 40c

Tangwena

Madjag

Veteran
Madjag,

Attached are the lab reports for the samples you submitted on Monday. The sample material turned out remarkably clean on all three microbial tests. My guess is that maybe the vacuum-packing may have had something to do with that. I ran the suspected “borneol” flower material for terpenes. I did not find any borneol and only a minute trace of the related compound camphene. As is often the case with cannabis strains, the dominant terpenes are caryophyllene and humulene with some myrcene, limonene, and eucalyptol thrown in. It is worth noting that borneol, camphene, and eucalyptol are somewhat related chemically, botanically, and by smell.

Please feel free to call or email me if you have any comments or questions. And thanks for all the links – I’ve just started going thru them.

Regards,

Jim Clark, Lab Director

Delta Verde Laboratory
12620 N. Cave Creek Rd, Suite 1A
Phoenix, AZ 85022
602-466-9730 (office); 602-821-6069 (cell)