What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Good morning to you all....From an overcast and wet Southern Spain. We woke this morning to find that the heavens opened last night and everywhere is properly wet. I can't yet see the mountain tops to the north as they're in the clouds but I'm assuming that they'll have snow and that means that it'll be a lot colder tonight. Brrr... I hate the cold!

So here are the 2 cobs after 12 hours at 45c sweating and 2 hours at 35c in the open drying.
IMG_20221116_104124.jpg

Because of the weather I took the picture inside of the house and therefore it's hard to show the colour change because of the different lighting, so you'll just have to trust me that it has happened. Already there is a ferment smell starting.

After drying them for 2 hours at 35c in my dehydrator i have re vacced them and they will now sit on top of my amplifier for a week before I will open them up for a sniff and a re dry.

revegeta666

Good morning to you all....From an overcast and wet Southern Spain. We woke this morning to find that the heavens opened last night and everywhere is properly wet. I can't yet see the mountain tops to the north as they're in the clouds but I'm assuming that they'll have snow and that means that it'll be a lot colder tonight. Brrr... I hate the cold!

So here are the 2 cobs after 12 hours at 45c sweating and 2 hours at 35c in the open drying.
View attachment 18781971

Because of the weather I took the picture inside of the house and therefore it's hard to show the colour change because of the different lighting, so you'll just have to trust me that it has happened. Already there is a ferment smell starting.

After drying them for 2 hours at 35c in my dehydrator i have re vacced them and they will now sit on top of my amplifier for a week before I will open them up for a sniff and a re dry.
Cob sniffing day has become one of the highlights of the week at my house 😂🙃 the vacuum bags are also very sniffable.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Been doing a little sniffing here too today.
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.26.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.27 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.27 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.27.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.28 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.28 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.28 (3).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-11-16 at 14.03.28.jpeg

This morning I've opened up all the cobs that I've been making over the last few weeks, other than the 2 that I made yesterday. All smell delicious and are at varying stages of fermentation. I have many different smells going on; Acetone, camphor, peppermint, leather, fruit and chocolate! They are all sitting out drying on our dinning table and the combined smell is to die for!

wuluz

Cob sniffing day has become one of the highlights of the week at my house 😂🙃 the vacuum bags are also very sniffable.
Good idea
I also sniffed my cobs today :) Now the whole apartment smells like it. I'll try the new ones for Christmas. I haven't tested Auto_Zamaldelica, Auto_Malawi and Zamaldelica_Kali_China yet. I am very curious.
------------------------------------
Thanks @Tangwena, I've already learned a lot from you. More and more follow you, read your reports and try to build cobs.
Auto-Malawi_Juli 2022
automalawi.jpg

Auto Zamaldelica_August 2022
autozamaldelica.jpg

Zamaldelica Kali_China_Oktober 2022
zamaldelica_kali_china.jpg

Durbanpoison_November 2021
durban_poison.jpg

Blue_Cheese_Oktober 2020
blue_cheese.jpg

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Been doing a little sniffing here too today. View attachment 18782000 View attachment 18782001 View attachment 18782002 View attachment 18782003 View attachment 18782004 View attachment 18782005 View attachment 18782006 View attachment 18782007

This morning I've opened up all the cobs that I've been making over the last few weeks, other than the 2 that I made yesterday. All smell delicious and are at varying stages of fermentation. I have many different smells going on; Acetone, camphor, peppermint, leather, fruit and chocolate! They are all sitting out drying on our dinning table and the combined smell is to die for!
Beautiful work brother I have been downloading your pics and zooming in on the detail its mind blowing fairly takes my breath away.

Tangwena

Veteran
Good idea
I also sniffed my cobs today :) Now the whole apartment smells like it. I'll try the new ones for Christmas. I haven't tested Auto_Zamaldelica, Auto_Malawi and Zamaldelica_Kali_China yet. I am very curious.
------------------------------------
Thanks @Tangwena, I've already learned a lot from you. More and more follow you, read your reports and try to build cobs.
Auto-Malawi_Juli 2022
View attachment 18782045
Auto Zamaldelica_August 2022
View attachment 18782046
Zamaldelica Kali_China_Oktober 2022
View attachment 18782048
Durbanpoison_November 2021
View attachment 18782049
Blue_Cheese_Oktober 2020
View attachment 18782050
This thread is ours now my friend all you fellow cobbers are leading the way for others to follow.
I just love the marbling on those cobs nice and dark going to be some deep trips inside yourself on those.
The Blue Cheese is particularly colorful but those caramel colors are dangerous territory ha ha.

island_organics

Opened up the cobs today for a sniff and to dry them out before sealing up again. They’re both in the early stages of curing now and smelling incredible. The two smaller pieces smell strongly of tea tree oil and hash, while the bigger one is dried fruits like dates and raisins. The aromas coming off them as they’re drying out is intoxicating. Can’t wait to cut into one of these to check out the inside’s.
2AE01942-0266-4939-8B32-43AEBCB78989.jpeg
89683C23-3994-4CEB-B9CC-D026D301F2BF.jpeg
000CBE7B-6707-4F86-BEB5-F5EA8C2405DF.jpeg
E02825BB-4118-444F-B806-9102956172E5.jpeg

CDNINCA

Hi all,

While I’m waiting to harvest the Malawi Gold that I have in the garden - it’s probably coming in soon as I believe it has fully finished with the third round of white pistils, I have three questions that I’d appreciate the expertise of the pros here to weigh in on -thanks!
  1. I have a problem in that I always seem to grow more weed than I can consume/ give away each year. Yes, nice problem to have! In looking at the “pure sativa” seeds on the Ace seeds website I see that they have Beldia listed. Two years ago I grew Beldia seeds that I received from someone who got the seeds from Morocco… anyway, I’ve got a couple of jars of two-year old, perfectly cured (62% RH) and still good, vacuum sealed Beldia that I thought I might try cobbing with until the MG is ready to try. Should I? I’m thinking “what the heck, why not?” It might be a good way to learn?
  2. I have some amazing Northern Lights #5 from this year that is almost cured to 65%, should I give it a go? Do you think it would be a good strain to try?
  3. Lastly, I grew some “Saturn Citrus” from Equilibrium Genetics last year that is amazing - it’s a cross between Super Lemon Haze and African Orange F2. Do you think that might be worth trying? https://eqgenetics.com/?s=saturn+citrus
I think the answers are going to be along the lines of “why not, what have you got to lose”?

Thanks for any and all thoughts, comments, suggestions. I’m ready to give this a try and see what happens!

Taima-da

I think the reaction starts by having some enzymatic activity in the material.
I have tried without success using old crop but someone in the thread (HdM?) put a little "cob ready" with their previous harvest and that seemed to work, if I remember rightly.
Give it a go you may discover a whole new cure

Tangwena

Veteran
Opened up the cobs today for a sniff and to dry them out before sealing up again. They’re both in the early stages of curing now and smelling incredible. The two smaller pieces smell strongly of tea tree oil and hash, while the bigger one is dried fruits like dates and raisins. The aromas coming off them as they’re drying out is intoxicating. Can’t wait to cut into one of these to check out the inside’s.
View attachment 18782390 View attachment 18782391 View attachment 18782392 View attachment 18782393
Spectacular cure brother thats the type of cure I like in my cobs your in for a treat love the colors.
I can see magic happening tee tree oil and Hash OH YEAH!
Dried fruits OH BOY! you hit the nail on the head salivating here my friend give them a taste asap ha ha.

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi all,

While I’m waiting to harvest the Malawi Gold that I have in the garden - it’s probably coming in soon as I believe it has fully finished with the third round of white pistils, I have three questions that I’d appreciate the expertise of the pros here to weigh in on -thanks!
  1. I have a problem in that I always seem to grow more weed than I can consume/ give away each year. Yes, nice problem to have! In looking at the “pure sativa” seeds on the Ace seeds website I see that they have Beldia listed. Two years ago I grew Beldia seeds that I received from someone who got the seeds from Morocco… anyway, I’ve got a couple of jars of two-year old, perfectly cured (62% RH) and still good, vacuum sealed Beldia that I thought I might try cobbing with until the MG is ready to try. Should I? I’m thinking “what the heck, why not?” It might be a good way to learn?
  2. I have some amazing Northern Lights #5 from this year that is almost cured to 65%, should I give it a go? Do you think it would be a good strain to try?
  3. Lastly, I grew some “Saturn Citrus” from Equilibrium Genetics last year that is amazing - it’s a cross between Super Lemon Haze and African Orange F2. Do you think that might be worth trying? https://eqgenetics.com/?s=saturn+citrus
I think the answers are going to be along the lines of “why not, what have you got to lose”?

Thanks for any and all thoughts, comments, suggestions. I’m ready to give this a try and see what happens!
Give it a go man nothing to loose.
Give it a go you may discover a whole new cure
Precisely thats why were all here to learn new and better cures I couldn't agree more.
Yesterday had some of the purple leaning Mulanje x Malawi Ethiopian cob man thats fire.
Very quick pick up numb face and off my face all in one love it ha ha.
Like the best coke only it lasts for a hell of a lot longer yeeha!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@CDNINCA , I like brother @Taima-da also believe that it is enzymatic activity that starts off the magic and therefore your 2 yr old bud will most probably be dead and not work...although if you have an excess then an experiment might be worth a go.

What will work is mixing old (dead) bud with fresh most bud. I've tried this an can attest to its success.

Don't forget to take photos of whatever you decide to do. :)

island_organics

Spectacular cure brother thats the type of cure I like in my cobs your in for a treat love the colors.
I can see magic happening tee tree oil and Hash OH YEAH!
Dried fruits OH BOY! you hit the nail on the head salivating here my friend give them a taste asap ha ha.
I’m loving the process… super interesting!
I’m going to let them cure for a month and then have a little sample… just in time for the Xmas holidays

CDNINCA

Someone said "post pics"? Here's the Malawi Gold "red stem" as she stands today. Looks like this weekend will be harvest time, unless someone suggests leaving her longer. Next up, pics of the process!

Attachments

• IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0441.JPG
    IMG_0441.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG