What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

CDNINCA

I wanted to chip in that i did try cobbing some older weed with high temperatures (40-50 C) for about a month and a half. It was also very compressed.

it diddnt give the “cob” high but it did make the smoke smoother and change the smell dramatically
Thanks @Mallitlahuani for the info, I might give it a try anyway. The buds in the Beldia strain that I have are somewhat "larfy", not dense at all, but I do believe that they have held well at 62% RH in the dark and may have enough moisture in them to give it a try. I'll try it on the larger ones...

Even if it makes it smoother and has some effect on the final material it will be worth trying and will be interesting to see the results - another opportunity for me to learn something. I'll report back if/when I give it a try. Thanks again for the info!

StickyBandit

I don't know if this is considered a cob. Vacuum packed 5oz KA5H big buds that has been dried and stored in the bag at 62% for a few months. I'll hide it for a few more months and see if anyone notices it's gone :p
5oz.jpg

revegeta666

L
I wanted to chip in that i did try cobbing some older weed with high temperatures (40-50 C) for about a month and a half. It was also very compressed.

it diddnt give the “cob” high but it did make the smoke smoother and change the smell dramatically
Interesting, but how long was it at 40-50? The whole month and a half? I might try this but I would have to buy a second heat mat haha

imthraxx

Hello, this is my first time posting here, and I have a question. This is after 2 days of sweating at 104°. I'm just wondering if any of you guys can tell if this has started to ferment. The reason I'm curious is because this weed isn't fresh, as I bought it at the dispensary.
PXL_20221123_051535822.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221123_051535822.jpg
    PXL_20221123_051535822.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 31

imthraxx

Good morning @imthraxx , in sorry to say that I'm unable to say from your pictures whether fermentation had begun.

If the bud were still most then fermentation should haven begun at that temperature for so long.

If fermentation has begun then the colour of the bud will darken and the smell will change.
Thanks for the reply, I doubted anyone could tell just by looking. Especially without before photos in the same lighting. I do believe the bud got slightly darker, and the smell less sharp and perhaps sweeter. I'll try this process again with already cured bud.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Thanks for the reply, I doubted anyone could tell just by looking. Especially without before photos in the same lighting. I do believe the bud got slightly darker, and the smell less sharp and perhaps sweeter. I'll try this process again with already cured bud.
I'm sorry to say that bud that is already cured is no longer "alive" and therefore won't ferment in the desired way. The bud should be freshly cut, somewhere between a day and 2 weeks ago (depending on how quickly it dries).

imthraxx

I'm sorry to say that bud that is already cured is no longer "alive" and therefore won't ferment in the desired way. The bud should be freshly cut, somewhere between a day and 2 weeks ago.
Ah ok, that makes sense. I was going to start growing anyways, now I guess I'll really get focused on growing. Thanks for the info man, again really appreciate it. Cheers

Mallitlahuani

L

Interesting, but how long was it at 40-50? The whole month and a half? I might try this but I would have to buy a second heat mat haha
Yes it was a whole month and half, i managed to maintain those temperatures because i have a gas fridge with a small cubbard above it that stays around those temps. The weed was around 3 weeks in a jar and came out looking allmost golden, gave a euforic feeling