What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Taima-da

Can anyone explain to me the point of doingsmashing the bud and trichomes? Couldn't this be done by lightly packing a jar and storing in the same conditions.
Some people just prefer cobbed.

Thirty years ago we used to get PNG gold up north which was reliably excellent to the last skerrick with little to no tolerance build up.
Reminded me of what we used to get from an old timer as kids, which always had a brown to lavender colour and hit in a rare way.
Didn't get the same effect until a few years ago with some clearly fermented product from Aceh.

Not everyone appreciates the difference but for some it makes all the difference.

Oh. And you can leave smoking behind because you can chew it too. All that and it improves with age. What's not to love?

Last edited:

RottyRzr

Ive been reading through this thread and planned to try making a cob or two when my plant is harvested. I am puzzled however when I read of those that chew on the cob and get high. I thought weed had to be decarbed before THCA gets converted to THC in order to get high. How can this happen with the cobs when Im not seeing the temperatures required for this to happen?
Ok. Y'all talked me into it. I'm giving a small cob a go. I recently harvested my KA5H and after hanging for 4 days I cut off some of the buds and packed them in a pvc pipe scrap. I lined the pvc pipe with parchment paper and used a piece a wood to tap all of the buds tight. I used my seed warming pad set to 104F inside a cardboard box for the 24 hour start. This didnt work out so well as the temp varied from 96f up to 107f. I hope that doesn't matter. I used our vacuum sealer to seal it up for the 24 hours and today I opened it up to check for moisture but found it dry. I was surprised since I was expecting some dampness due to the weed only hanging for 4 days. I resealed it and put it on top of our cable tv box since its warm there. Whats next? Reopen after 3 or 4 days?

Attachments

• IMG_3657.jpeg
    IMG_3657.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 63

Taima-da

How does it smell?
Just check it from time to time. - I don't even worry about a warm temp at this point as ambient works but just slower.- It will dry slowly so you can let it dry for a bit each time you open.
At some point it will be fairly stable and can then be left under vac for longer periods.
Compare some to your regular cure down the track sometime. Should be smooth and sweet with a vibrant effect.

Tangwena

Veteran
Ok. Y'all talked me into it. I'm giving a small cob a go. I recently harvested my KA5H and after hanging for 4 days I cut off some of the buds and packed them in a pvc pipe scrap. I lined the pvc pipe with parchment paper and used a piece a wood to tap all of the buds tight. I used my seed warming pad set to 104F inside a cardboard box for the 24 hour start. This didnt work out so well as the temp varied from 96f up to 107f. I hope that doesn't matter. I used our vacuum sealer to seal it up for the 24 hours and today I opened it up to check for moisture but found it dry. I was surprised since I was expecting some dampness due to the weed only hanging for 4 days. I resealed it and put it on top of our cable tv box since its warm there. Whats next? Reopen after 3 or 4 days?
Give it a week before you open it again as it was probably a little dry but as TD said above it will still work just take a little longer.
Good on you for giving it a go we will try and guide you to a good result.

island_organics

Started a second cob last Thursday using 47 grams of a different phenotype of Panama x (Bubbahash x pck)… this one is sweet & fruity with a little eucalyptus.
The plant had a bit more moisture than the first one and it made a difference to the aroma after opening the cob up after the initial sweat. There was a sweet, almost sickly smell along with Christmas pudding. Very pleasant. Also more of a colour change. It’s now sealed up and sitting at 28c to ferment.

The close-up pics are very trippy, and easy to get lost in for a while.

3AC2A202-7FA0-41EC-8846-4FDBBCA0DAE4.jpeg
DC11BC25-66AB-406F-9CBA-A2284C475AB9.jpeg
D846778E-EF41-44B3-BBFF-AD49BC3AF8EB.jpeg
4176F296-65F8-4935-8FCE-2639EC22804E.jpeg
AC8D92AD-EB2C-49BE-93B7-F316744E5344.jpeg
11E4C0DB-CF0E-4CCA-84F3-A05602EC37E4.jpeg
40D1C7C9-B1BE-421F-9338-2D0695398073.jpeg
23FD612C-A5EB-44FB-B61C-A63A157C8E92.jpeg
E16095A4-5232-4199-A8D2-7E30487CB006.jpeg

CDNINCA

Hi all, I've been reading for a few weeks now and thought it was time to join in here. This is such an amazing topic and thread, not to mention some very knowledgeable and fascinating folks! I need to do this.
I've got a Malawi Gold plant that's close to harvest and I know what I'm going to do with some of it. I have some other strains from this season but it sounds like the MG is the one to use. The seeds came from The Landrace Co. and have been growing in the ground in Northern California since April 1. Yes, she's a long one to grow and I wasn't sure if she would do as well as she has this far north.
I read in an earlier post that true sativa's go through a few cycles of pistol production. This one is wrapping up her 3rd series of pistols and is getting close. Also, it's getting chilly here at night - high 30's F, maybe 2 C, so I think it's almost time to bring her in and begin this process?
Just a quick thanks to Tangwena and everyone else here who has been so willing to share the knowledge... I'm in!

Current status:

Attachments

• IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0406.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 42

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Started a second cob last Thursday using 47 grams of a different phenotype of Panama x (Bubbahash x pck)… this one is sweet & fruity with a little eucalyptus.
The plant had a bit more moisture than the first one and it made a difference to the aroma after opening the cob up after the initial sweat. There was a sweet, almost sickly smell along with Christmas pudding. Very pleasant. Also more of a colour change. It’s now sealed up and sitting at 28c to ferment.

The close-up pics are very trippy, and easy to get lost in for a while.
Lovely colours!

island_organics

Beautiful colours man you have a natural talent for this.
Thanks brother. I’m just replicating the work laid out in this fine thread. There’s a wealth of knowledge here.

I posted some of these pics on ig and had a few comments regarding potential health problems from mold when smoking cob cured cannabis. I’m not worried about it at all as I’m sure it’s extremely rare that smoking cobs could make you sick, but are there any concerns we should be aware of?

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks brother. I’m just replicating the work laid out in this fine thread. There’s a wealth of knowledge here.

I posted some of these pics on ig and had a few comments regarding potential health problems from mold when smoking cob cured cannabis. I’m not worried about it at all as I’m sure it’s extremely rare that smoking cobs could make you sick, but are there any concerns we should be aware of?
Absolute bullshit and paranoia my friend. Of course if it gets moldy you should err on the side of caution but its very rare to get mold if you dry the cobs properly.
I never used to smoke moldy cobs because they taste and smell crap no other reason ha ha.

If you cure and look after them by drying after aging your fine.
I've heard this mold thing before from people ignorant of the process or just plain ignorant full stop ha ha.
If it smells good, looks good its good.
You know what they say if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck its a duck ha ha.

When I lived in Africa during the rainy season sometimes the cobs we bought would have some mold on them.
We would just cut it off and smoke what was left I'm still here. The first time I heard about mold was on the internet forums it seems to be a big thing in the US ha ha.
Probably started by people growing pot in the wrong climate or the wrong type of pot.
Sorry for the rant but I've heard this so many times it gets old ha ha.
Looking at the pics you posted you will have nothing to worry about mt friend.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi all, I've been reading for a few weeks now and thought it was time to join in here. This is such an amazing topic and thread, not to mention some very knowledgeable and fascinating folks! I need to do this.
I've got a Malawi Gold plant that's close to harvest and I know what I'm going to do with some of it. I have some other strains from this season but it sounds like the MG is the one to use. The seeds came from The Landrace Co. and have been growing in the ground in Northern California since April 1. Yes, she's a long one to grow and I wasn't sure if she would do as well as she has this far north.
I read in an earlier post that true sativa's go through a few cycles of pistol production. This one is wrapping up her 3rd series of pistols and is getting close. Also, it's getting chilly here at night - high 30's F, maybe 2 C, so I think it's almost time to bring her in and begin this process?
Just a quick thanks to Tangwena and everyone else here who has been so willing to share the knowledge... I'm in!

Current status:
Looking good there my friend classic strain for cobbing if you get it right you had better prepare for take off.
Malawi Gold grown well and cured well is extremely potent and the cob cure will let it shine brightest.
I have some cobs of Malawi Gold and Malawi hybrids and one in particular makes my face numb as I go up its thats strong!
like riding on the nose of a rocket ha ha.
Sativas shine with this cure they really show their true potential.

island_organics

Absolute bullshit and paranoia my friend. Of course if it gets moldy you should err on the side of caution but its very rare to get mold if you dry the cobs properly.
I never used to smoke moldy cobs because they taste and smell crap no other reason ha ha.

If you cure and look after them by drying after aging your fine.
I've heard this mold thing before from people ignorant of the process or just plain ignorant full stop ha ha.
If it smells good, looks good its good.
You know what they say if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck its a duck ha ha.

When I lived in Africa during the rainy season sometimes the cobs we bought would have some mold on them.
We would just cut it off and smoke what was left I'm still here. The first time I heard about mold was on the internet forums it seems to be a big thing in the US ha ha.
Probably started by people growing pot in the wrong climate or the wrong type of pot.
Sorry for the rant but I've heard this so many times it gets old ha ha.
Looking at the pics you posted you will have nothing to worry about mt friend.
I thought as much but thanks for clarifying. I’ve spent years fermenting all sorts of vegetables without any problems so aren’t afraid of the process. And some of the imported brick weed we used to smoke way back used to arrive in bad shape and smelling of ammonia and I’m still here too lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts