What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

CDNINCA

Looking good there my friend classic strain for cobbing if you get it right you had better prepare for take off.
Malawi Gold grown well and cured well is extremely potent and the cob cure will let it shine brightest.
I have some cobs of Malawi Gold and Malawi hybrids and one in particular makes my face numb as I go up its thats strong!
like riding on the nose of a rocket ha ha.
Sativas shine with this cure they really show their true potential.
Thanks Tangwena, I have so much to learn but am looking forward to the experience! As I progress I will post pics along the way along with any questions that may arise. I feel that with all the information in this thread, and all of the kind people willing to share their knowledge, I should be able to make a decent effort of it. Fingers crossed and thanks again!

Tangwena

Veteran
That looks so tasty brother I can smell it from here You could smoke that so nicely now or just send it to me for a chew report ha ha.
The 1 to 3 month aged time is a terp fest I love them at that time. Roll a pinner spliff and dont light it just enjoy sucking in the aromas for a while before lighting is a great way to start a day ha ha.
Thats how I used to do it when I still smoked always loved the unlit taste.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks Tangwena, I have so much to learn but am looking forward to the experience! As I progress I will post pics along the way along with any questions that may arise. I feel that with all the information in this thread, and all of the kind people willing to share their knowledge, I should be able to make a decent effort of it. Fingers crossed and thanks again!
All the experienced brothers here will help guide you have no fear.
Some truly great curers on this forum it blows my mind seeing their work some true masters here.
I can only dream of where they will take this art in the future there is so much room for artistic expression in this cure.
Some of the cures I saw in central Africa were just mind blowing and I haven't yet been able to reproduce them. There are plenty of good cob cures still to find.

funkyhorse

Yesterday I vaped a bud from the winter grow keeper Madmac hz x Northern Thai 2008 with over 2 weeks cure, smells so good, I was curious. With such a smell should be really good and i wasnt wrong
I didnt expect to get much high and it blew my mind, the best this season and this is with only 2 weeks cure!
At the beginning of growing when I read some breeders detect quality plants from just the smell I didnt think it could be possible but this one has really outstanding uncommon floral spice smells and the high is very good

So I decided to test the brick made with the sisters to see how it is doing
You can see it from both sides and the sample I picked to test after 20 days cure
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 brick (2).jpeg
Seedsman hz mm fem 1 x n Thai hermie girl 3 brick.jpeg

I vaped and smoked a spliff to test now
the first main experiment is succesful, to make a vapable brick. Bricking drier buds is definitively the way
Terpenes are washed down from the buds but they dont have a bad taste when vaped as opposed to fully fermented buds. As expected it doesnt have the high of the keeper sister which is outstanding for such short cure on a very long flowering sativa, but they do have a high. I will try again in 2 months, hopefully it is improved. Most pure thais at this stage are rope, they need at least 3 months cure

Have a nice week everyone

Tangwena

Veteran
Do you know how they did the mind-blowing cobs Tangwena?
Unfortunately no but I know what they looked like and smelled like, so its just a case of trying different cures until I hit gold.
My problem is it is still illegal where I live so getting enough buds to play with is a problem.
However next year we may be able to grow a few plants legally.
A couple of big legal plants will give me enough to play with so I am confident I can reproduce them.
I have enough good genetics so nothing will hold me back.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
On Sunday we harvested the Golden Tiger, she had not been watered for 8 days and this morning, IE. 48 hrs after harvesting, I made my first cobs with about 20% of her. The remaining 80% will be left to dry much more before it's cobbed.

I wanted to make a couple of good sized cobs with some very moist weed; I'm going for a dark spacey cure.

So here we have a bowl full of buds still on the sticks.
IMG_20221115_120635.jpg

And here they are after the sticks have been removed.
IMG_20221115_123448.jpg

Close up of a buds and trichs
IMG_20221115_120720.jpg
IMG_20221115_123504.jpg

Today was the first try out of my new cobbing tube (Thanks @revegeta666).

It almost twice as long as my old tube and about 2mm greater in diameter and consequently will take a lot more bud. My old tube produces cobs of around 35g when dry.
IMG_20221115_130034.jpg
It made 2 large cobs.
IMG_20221115_130758.jpg
IMG_20221115_132838.jpg

These are now bagged up and are in the dehydrator at 45c for 12hrs. I expect them to sweat like crazy and darken a lot in that time at such a temperature.

I'll post an update once they come out to dry.

iTarzan

Hombre our GT buds are very close in maturity. Yours have more red pistils. Mine have some but still many white pistils. They both have plenty of trichs that is for sure.

Your buds look wonderful. Were they very dense? What made you harvest it when you did? What were the smells? Were the buds sticky?

I have 3 plants and each is a bit different. One has more hints of purple in it and has thin sativa leaves but wider than the other 2. The buds are not airy but not very dense when squeezed. It has a more complex smell too it. The other 2 have more slender sativa leaves with one of them even more slender than the other. The less slender of these 2 has the most dense buds. Small but somewhat hard buds with plenty of trichs, very green buds and a some pine in the smell.
All the plants are very sticky as well as loaded with trichomes.

Now you can say, "Do you want those Cobbs supersized?".

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@iTarzan , I've been keeping my eye on your too!;)
I harvested when I did for several reasons. She had stopped (almost) re flowering, the trichs were predominately cloudy with a few clear and a few amber and she was smelling very strongly. But mainly because our Grandson is visiting and he has never harvested before, so we thought it only right and proper that we teach him the family ways. His Mum and Uncle have done it many times over the years.

She went through various smells, Pineapple, cat piss but eventually smelt like ripe mango. Very sticky

Taima-da

Would love that weed in my vaporizer! :yummy: :biggrin:

What does that mean dark spacey? So i takes longer to cure but what is dark spacey referring to?

These close up trichome photos are nice in this bright mountain light. :cool:
Moister start=quicker colour change and darker result when fermenting. Rather than energizing and uplifting effects as with lighter cobs, darker can be more dissociating, spacey and wild.
Nice to have different styles to mix up a bit

Tangwena

Veteran
IMG_20221115_123504.jpg

Beautiful GT buds they look awesome going to be cool to see what happens with these.
Remember to dry them more thoroughly at each inspection to keep the turps loud at the end ha ha.
I still shit myself taking any of the Panama black cob I made its so strong I dont know who I am or where I am ha ha.
I still remember my first dose getting lost in my own house ha ha it was crazy potent ha ha.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
View attachment 18781780

Beautiful GT buds they look awesome going to be cool to see what happens with these.
Remember to dry them more thoroughly at each inspection to keep the turps loud at the end ha ha.
I still shit myself taking any of the Panama black cob I made its so strong I dont know who I am or where I am ha ha.
I still remember my first dose getting lost in my own house ha ha it was crazy potent ha ha.
Thanks Tangwena.
I've taken them out of the bags this morning.
Moisture present in both bags and the cobs get damp to they touch. They have both darkened.
They're now drying in the dehydrator at 35c and I'll check them after an hour.

I'll take some photos after breakfast. :)