What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
That is still young my friend it needs to be vacuum sealed to age for at least a month more.
Three months is the best in my experience then you can dry it and smoke it. The difference the aging makes has to be experienced to be believed.
I am not familiar with the strain so I dont know what to expect from the effects.
This cure is best used on sativas but some friends of mine are getting good results with hybrids and some Indicas but I have no experience myself.
Good on you for giving it a go and please post your thoughts on the smoking and effects that it produces.

Tangwena

Veteran
I just took a look at my cobbed bud under the microscope. Looks like brown suger through out. I ssmmookkee it.
Got to love that amber and brown sugar you certainly got that one to change nicely.
The brown and amber resin usually makes for a nice deep inside your mind high my favorite type of trip.
Any pics?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
That is still young my friend it needs to be vacuum sealed to age for at least a month more.

Sealed back up on the 14th,can't wait to break back into it.

Tang, I unwrapped the cob to let it dry, but then just stuck it in vac bag without wrapping it in the brown paper. I thought maybe this would help me see the results without opening the seal. i stick it in a dark spot. This should work, correct?

Thanks for the excellent thread

Tang, I unwrapped the cob to let it dry, but then just stuck it in vac bag without wrapping it in the brown paper. I thought maybe this would help me see the results without opening the seal. i stick it in a dark spot. This should work, correct?

hey there CannaRed. i've done the same thing after the cobb had expired what i thought was enough moisture, but the color change was not what i wanted. i still find myself opening these paperless cobbs for the smells though. ummm! i've also wondered if it's alright. when i don't need to wrap the cobb tight because it doesn't appear to be shrinking anymore is when i go paperless back into the vac bag.

i noticed Tangwena's chopper read cobbs were still moist in a clear wrapper and not a corn husk.

tried using corn husks on my first cobb, but it was too much of a pain in the ass for me. figured out using brown paper as a wrapper was easier for my fingers to work with and has a time saving benefit too. if the cobb needs to expire more moisture i grab a new drier piece of brown paper and rewrap the cobb right away. then back in the heat she goes.

also been letting the brown paper wrappers dry out and reusing them. seems the goodies from the cobbs soak into the brown paper wrappers and "season" them --if that's possible? the more i reuse a wrapper the better it smells, but eventually they do loose some of their strength and will tear easier when wrapping cobbs tightly.

Tangwena

Veteran

Thank you for contributing your experience we can all learn from each others techniques.

Thats all good I do that myself once the wrapper whatever kind you use has done its job its not needed any more and you get the shrunken stick like beef jerky.

Dont be afraid to open it regularly to sniff it and take samples.
When it starts to smell so good you cant resist its usually ready to dry and use.
Every cob has its own time table some are quicker than others to reach their peak of cure.

Thats what I love about this method very organic and hands on.
Once you start chewing some it will speak to you or at least you will think it does ha ha

Tangwena

Veteran
hey there CannaRed. i've done the same thing after the cobb had expired what i thought was enough moisture, but the color change was not what i wanted. i still find myself opening these paperless cobbs for the smells though. ummm! i've also wondered if it's alright. when i don't need to wrap the cobb tight because it doesn't appear to be shrinking anymore is when i go paperless back into the vac bag.

i noticed Tangwena's chopper read cobbs were still moist in a clear wrapper and not a corn husk.

tried using corn husks on my first cobb, but it was too much of a pain in the ass for me. figured out using brown paper as a wrapper was easier for my fingers to work with and has a time saving benefit too. if the cobb needs to expire more moisture i grab a new drier piece of brown paper and rewrap the cobb right away. then back in the heat she goes.

also been letting the brown paper wrappers dry out and reusing them. seems the goodies from the cobbs soak into the brown paper wrappers and "season" them --if that's possible? the more i reuse a wrapper the better it smells, but eventually they do loose some of their strength and will tear easier when wrapping cobbs tightly.
hi my friend I am enjoying reading your thoughts and experiences.
Every thing you have said is true and shows someone with good understanding of what you are trying to achieve.
Its this kind of feelings for the cure that will make you succeed where others might fail.
Once you get good at this the skies the limit. Dont be afraid to experiment some may not turn out 100% what you want but when you find your recipe you will be able to get exactly what you aim for every time.
That is when things will open up for you. It is possible with a little practice and application to make mind blowing cobs, you will never want anything else after that.

appreciate your expertise, Tangwena.

of the few cobbs made so far the most enjoyed process was making cobbs three days after harvest. saw where you posted about doing this, so that was good enough. when using drier flowers the initial sweating process just didn't feel right for some reason. initial sweat came easily and abundantly with only a 3 day hang.

remember reading somewhere about a fellow who traveled to south america, beyond mexico, many years ago and found himself unexpectedly in a remote village during a massive harvest. crops were piled in long rows on the ground. he didn't know if this was normal or if they didn't have enough hands to get the crop ready any faster. he said they rotated the piles as they were drying. similar to making cobbs, no? on a different scale though! lol

took a different approach for sweating using items already around. used a 3' long plastic bin/lid. liner/lid fabbed of 1" thick foam sheathing with 2" aluminum tape for connecting/sealing panels. laid an old waterbed heater in bottom of foam liner and placed both in plastic bin. tossed in a couple small boxes on top of heating pad to set cobbs on and keep them in the middle of the bin. added a temp guage and with heater dialed to max the temps fluctuate between 38C to 43C regardless of exterior temps. might try it with a heating pad one day for a smaller oven.

regards!

^ I did a similar thing with a seedling heat mat that apparently didn't have a temperature regulator on it. When placed in a box and confined it would get as hot as you wanted.

Tangwena

Veteran
appreciate your expertise, Tangwena.

of the few cobbs made so far the most enjoyed process was making cobbs three days after harvest. saw where you posted about doing this, so that was good enough. when using drier flowers the initial sweating process just didn't feel right for some reason. initial sweat came easily and abundantly with only a 3 day hang.

remember reading somewhere about a fellow who traveled to south america, beyond mexico, many years ago and found himself unexpectedly in a remote village during a massive harvest. crops were piled in long rows on the ground. he didn't know if this was normal or if they didn't have enough hands to get the crop ready any faster. he said they rotated the piles as they were drying. similar to making cobbs, no? on a different scale though! lol

took a different approach for sweating using items already around. used a 3' long plastic bin/lid. liner/lid fabbed of 1" thick foam sheathing with 2" aluminum tape for connecting/sealing panels. laid an old waterbed heater in bottom of foam liner and placed both in plastic bin. tossed in a couple small boxes on top of heating pad to set cobbs on and keep them in the middle of the bin. added a temp guage and with heater dialed to max the temps fluctuate between 38C to 43C regardless of exterior temps. might try it with a heating pad one day for a smaller oven.

regards!
Thats very cool man I love reading stuff like that.
I know a few people who have their own methods to get the sweating ect. Some fantastic cures being achieved.
I am trying some 6 month old jar cured buds at the moment. Very good cure, I chewed 0.35g two hours ago and can feel a nice buzz vert pleasant.
If I had chewed the same amount of the cob made from the same buds I would be tripping by now. I will give it a chance though it might be a creeper.
If not I will stick to chewing the cobs the high is a hell of a lot stronger than the buds chewed ha ha. I may have to do a top up with some cob, but how much do i need when I'm already high?

Looks like an exceptional day in the making ha ha

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Hey guys, you probably won't like this question but here goes. Has any tried to ferment concentrates? Fermented hash.... Sounds yummy. Or what about dabs made from fermented cobs?

Tangwena

Veteran
I used to make oil from cobs and its a lot different from oil made from fresh dried buds.
Its worth doing if you like oil.

Tangwena

Veteran
Thats very cool man I love reading stuff like that.
I know a few people who have their own methods to get the sweating ect. Some fantastic cures being achieved.
I am trying some 6 month old jar cured buds at the moment. Very good cure, I chewed 0.35g two hours ago and can feel a nice buzz vert pleasant.
If I had chewed the same amount of the cob made from the same buds I would be tripping by now. I will give it a chance though it might be a creeper.
If not I will stick to chewing the cobs the high is a hell of a lot stronger than the buds chewed ha ha. I may have to do a top up with some cob, but how much do i need when I'm already high?

Looks like an exceptional day in the making ha ha
Well that was a failure I will not be chewing jar cured buds again, they would be good smoked I am sure but very weak chewed.

There is something in the process that makes them work chewed or smoked once fermented.
I will give the buds to some friends who smoke, its a pity because they smell so good.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I used to make oil from cobs and its a lot different from oil made from fresh dried buds.
Its worth doing if you like oil.

I LOVE OIL!! As long as it takes to cob and cure, and as big as my blasting tube is... maybe I can save up enough cobs for a run of bho by 2020.:biggrin:

Tangwena

Veteran
Better get moving then ha ha An ounce cob usually yields 5 to 6 grams for me and that lasted a long time back in the day when I smoked it in my joints, of the same cob it was made from really super charged the buds.
Its only a long time for your first cob once you start making them every harvest you soon build up a big collection as each cob lasts forever.

H

HaHaHashish

One of the good points for cobbing versus standard curing is that cobs take a big, loose, armful of bud and turn it into a handful of cobs three days after harvesting. I also like, as mentioned above, about how I now don't have lots of buds hanging around drying for weeks at harvest time and instead can be cobbed (and reduced in size by 10 - 1 in 3 days and so can be easily hidden or stored.
but the downside is if your cobs are very compacted and dense, they aren't as suitable for vaping as standard cured buds are, mainly because they need to be finely ground up or they won't fully vape properly and then a little fine dust is drawn through into the mouthpiece and into my mouth. So I mostly roll thin jays, but vapes are super clean for your respiratory system, so I should set up a mesh type screen to place in my mouthpiece tube.

weedtoker

Veteran
Well that was a failure I will not be chewing jar cured buds again, they would be good smoked I am sure but very weak chewed.

There is something in the process that makes them work chewed or smoked once fermented.
I will give the buds to some friends who smoke, its a pity because they smell so good.

A question of an avid reader of this thread, wouldn't that be some thcA going for "real" thc during the cobbing process? I am assuming we would need to take samples and test them, but it seems the cobbing ages the bud like some good year cure does but in a matter of days, for some unknown reason. In any case, I'm glad you've found your preferred way of "dealing" with this ally that cannabis can be.

cheers, have a good one cobbers.:tiphat:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
My first cobbing experience was with huge airy sativa buds. You could hold them up to a light and see light shining through. Put them in one cob and placed cob into what I thought was an airtight test tube. The next day when I removed from the crock pot, the end of the cob near the seal was wet. After couple weeks cure, only the part that got wet had changed color. I'm sure that the buds were too dry when I cobbed because I wasn't use to the quicker dry time of these airy buds.
The jar cured buds of this plant smell like an herb called "cat thyme". Scientific name Teucrium marum. Afterwards this cat thyme smell was completely gone. ( I hate that smell). Cob bud smelled like Mexican brick shit weed. I will try again in a couple of months when that plant harvests again.
My purple cob in the pic in previous post, definitely smells different. I can't really describe it. Almost an onion or garlic smell, but that's not right either

Tangwena

Veteran
My first cobbing experience was with huge airy sativa buds. You could hold them up to a light and see light shining through. Put them in one cob and placed cob into what I thought was an airtight test tube. The next day when I removed from the crock pot, the end of the cob near the seal was wet. After couple weeks cure, only the part that got wet had changed color. I'm sure that the buds were too dry when I cobbed because I wasn't use to the quicker dry time of these airy buds.
The jar cured buds of this plant smell like an herb called "cat thyme". Scientific name Teucrium marum. Afterwards this cat thyme smell was completely gone. ( I hate that smell). Cob bud smelled like Mexican brick shit weed. I will try again in a couple of months when that plant harvests again.
My purple cob in the pic in previous post, definitely smells different. I can't really describe it. Almost an onion or garlic smell, but that's not right either
You are right the really airy sativa buds need a lot less drying and also shorter sweating time say 12 hours is usually enough.

If the cobs are not damp or wet after sweating the buds were too dry going into the cob.

My next grow will be some airy Columbian sativas so that is how I will be curing them for sure. The flowers are delicate jewels and have to be cured slowly.

Latest posts

Latest posts