What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran

I was lucky enough to get gifted with the power of attracting cobs and buds they shower down on me ha ha.

Sorry I am flying fast but dreamy at the same time on some Zamaldelica so I am forgiven.

Here is some jar cured buds of the Chopper Read it was the same crop as the cob and aged the same amount of time for comparison.
The buds stink of sweat seduction and clean nasal passages its very penetrating.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi to Azure my friend I wrapped up these today the Kalichina x zamaldelica were dried for 36hrs so they are still green. Picked early lets see what we can do to them, fingers crossed.
I was to high to go to the shops for maize so I thought why not go with some brown paper its always a good standby.

H

HaHaHashish

Tangwena - those buds look way wetter than I've wrapped before. I have some bud drying now that have dried a day longer than yours above, so I might cob them now. I also wind the string much tighter and double back so the string has a criss-cross pattern.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena - those buds look way wetter than I've wrapped before. I have some bud drying now that have dried a day longer than yours above, so I might cob them now. I also wind the string much tighter and double back so the string has a criss-cross pattern.
There are many styles of curing my friend what you are doing is fine. They dont have to be tightly wound.
It just depends if you want a hard dense finish or a loose packed finish.
I am trying to shoot for a special loose cure on these buds.
It may backfire on me but I have nothing to loose.

When my sativa buds come in around Christmas I will be doing a tried and true recipe that got me awesome results last harvest.
I will be drying for 3 to 4 days its not firm because it will be the middle of summer very hot and dry about 30% RH so I have to go by feel.

Then I will cob and sweat them for 24hrs at 40c.
After that dry the skin of the maize and re seal them for a week.
Open and check condition they should stink the house out.
If they do I will dry them 50% then age them for 2 to 3 months.
Checking whenever I can at least twice a month.

Its like guiding them to where you want them. You can tell by looking touching and sniffing if its going your way.
If it smells good your generally doing it right.
Just dont push it too far and loose the funky smell. If you do its only the smell you have lost not the high so its not a biggy but we all want perfection dont we.

Tangwena

Veteran
I forgot I am sweating a vacuumed jar with the same buds in at the same temp so I should be able to show the color change on these green buds.
Its all about timing and humidity and temps juggle them a bit.
Read that piece on tobacco curing that I got from Log roller I posted it above.
Its not like we are doing but they are shooting for similar changes for the same reasons.
It will give you ideas why things happen and when.

H

HaHaHashish

How do you check the cobs? Do you just open the bags and smell or do you unwrap the string and wrapper then check them out (then re-wrap and re-tie the cobs)?

Siever

Veteran
Tangwena,

Inspiring pictures! But I'm wondering, what kind of paper are you usiing?

Kind regards,

Siever

Tangwena

Veteran

How do you check the cobs? Do you just open the bags and smell or do you unwrap the string and wrapper then check them out (then re-wrap and re-tie the cobs)?
I open the bag open the cob wrapper take a sniff sometimes dry them for half a day if needed.
Then re wrap the maize leaf and re vacuum them.
I may also take a sample to dry and chew if they are good looking and smell good as well.
They carry on curing while moist so it pays to keep an eye on them.
Generally a week or two is ok after they have been sweated in the yogurt maker. But some cobs need only a week to smell awesome some 2 weeks some more.
Use your nose if the smell is sweet and good and the look is good you are done and they need slow drying until they are able to be smoked still a bit moist not completely dry.
Then reseal to age and you should be gold its not hard and you will get it after a bit of practice.
The good thing is even if you loose the sweet smell the power is still there so all is not lost.

Tangwena

Veteran
Tangwena,

Inspiring pictures! But I'm wondering, what kind of paper are you usiing?

Kind regards,

Siever
Hi my friend these were the thick brown paper from super market bags.
I rolled them like a big joint and wrapped several layers around 3 I think. As the buds were still very moist and freshly harvested (only dried for 36hrs) The paper will absorb some of the water they sweat out.
This is an experiment I am conducting I have my fingers crossed I have never done such Kush like buds before.

Tangwena

Veteran
Kalichina x Zamaldelica cobs

Kalichina x Zamaldelica cobs

I am super tripped out at the moment on some Chopper Read cob but to me these cobs are like drawing me in closer and closer.
I sweated them for 23hrs at 40c when I opened them they were wet and smelt of green plants any plant.
But I have unwrapped them to dry at room temp very slowly, as they are drying they are giving out such a pungent hash like aroma its slowly getting stronger.
When I feel the time is right I will wrap them back up and re vacuum them to cure for a week or two at room temps.
Its almost like they are talking to me but that would be crazy right?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
picture.php

hey Tangwena, check this out... let's say your cob has been through it's process and 3 months later you've opened the cobb up because it's time to partake. now let us suppose there are some seeds embedded in the cobb which of course have been there all along. have you or anyone else you know ever germinated seeds out of a finished cobb? do you think seeds from a completed cobb still viable?

Tangwena

Veteran
hey Tangwena, check this out... let's say your cob has been through it's process and 3 months later you've opened the cobb up because it's time to partake. now let us suppose there are some seeds embedded in the cobb which of course have been there all along. have you or anyone else you know ever germinated seeds out of a finished cobb? do you think seeds from a completed cobb still viable?
Clearheaded hit the nail on the head if the cob is sweated for a shorter time as I do sometimes it gives a different effect to the high than long sweats the seeds are still ok.
But longer sweats seems to kill them. The cobs I used to buy in Africa had mostly viable seeds they used to grow in my cars carpet in the rainy season from seeds I dropped while mulling up joints.
The older the cobs the less likely the seeds to germinate.