What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi feminized

Texicwaste666

Malawi grow update

Malawi grow update

I will be posting some new pics tomorrow. I'm going into week 5 of light cycle ( 11/13) and the buds started showing about 8 or 9 days ago, so around day 11 of bud cycle ( I am counting from when they start showing rather than when I change the light cycle. I know there is a debate about when the flowering period starts, so fuck it, I will input both pieces of data) for both Ace Malawi and Insane Chem 91. I have been tying back the Malawi so they don't grow too high into the lights but they outgrow the tie downs. No sign of light or heat stress for either strain. I will continue to pull and tie to get the max light to the lower parts.
:dance013:

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

Dubi's way of growing Malawi, read

Dubi's way of growing Malawi, read

"We use basically the same soil mix to grow organically all our strains (indoors or outdoors): 70-80 % of high quality peat, 10-20 % coco fiber and 10 % worm casting. PH in soil must be between 6.5 and 6.8 through the whole growing cycle.
Malawi prefers soft ECs around 0.80-1.00 in their 3 first weeks of life, EC around 1.2 for bigger plants in growing stage, and you can increase the feeding up to 1.5-1.8 in the flowering stage, depending on your pheno and size of the plant.

We like to use organic fertilizers like Bio Bizz or Bio Canna line.
Hope it helps!"
:tiphat:

since I am in coco and pearlite mix, and using CNS I am keeping my PH at 5.8

Texicwaste666

more Dubi instructions, READ

more Dubi instructions, READ

here is the answer to some questions I asked Dubi about growing Malawi

Hi Texicwaste666,

Your Malawi grow is doing very well and you are doing a great job with them

Will try to answer your questions.

1) Malawi usually finishes the stretching after 3-4 weeks of change to 12/12

2) The thin stems should get thicker in this first month of flowering, especially if plants are well ventilated with strong fans, with proper light intensity and proper feeding.

3) Like any plant, it must be grown to its best potential to really understand what they can fully offer. Your Malawi plants are very healthy and happy so you are on the right way, now in flowering you can increase the EC from 1.2 up to 1.6-1.8, depending on the concrete plant, every plant has slightly different feeding requirements.

let me know if you have any other doubt.

Texicwaste666

Malawi Update new pics

Malawi Update new pics

Here's some new pics, day 11 since buds started showing and the beginning of week 5 since light cycle change. After getting the go from Dubi, I increased the nutes to 1.8 EC or 1150 PPM. The plants have been chowing it. My runoff is decreasing

Chem and malawi, week 5 since light change, day 10 flowering.jpg

Chem buds like fur.jpg

Chem filling in.jpg

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

more pics

more pics

Malawi are starting to fill in
day 10 since buds started showing.jpg

malawi developing
look how they are filling in.jpg

more malawi
malawi flowers.jpg

everything looking good
week 5 light change, day 10 flowering.jpg

I will be building a new light stand so I can raise my lights higher. The plants are growing so tall and I hate to break them.

Last edited:

ULMW

Fprward!!! Looking good TW666
I appreciate your efforts and your respect for the herb trees. Keep up the good job with Mama Malawi! mine is still vegging and soon to get second topping and I keep a few clones too!
I last had Malawi 30+ years ago when broken cobs would reach my area and an African bredrin would sell me a tens that would be seedy stemy and hard to break up. But,..when smoked,..Absolutely crazy strong herbs that would have me missing college to go tripping outside along the waterways and farmfields instead!

Texicwaste666

Fprward!!! Looking good TW666
I appreciate your efforts and your respect for the herb trees. Keep up the good job with Mama Malawi! mine is still vegging and soon to get second topping and I keep a few clones too!
I last had Malawi 30+ years ago when broken cobs would reach my area and an African bredrin would sell me a tens that would be seedy stemy and hard to break up. But,..when smoked,..Absolutely crazy strong herbs that would have me missing college to go tripping outside along the waterways and farmfields instead!
so the cobs must extend all over Africa. Were you living in Southern Africa, that story sounds like the Columbian Gold or Red we used to get here in USA. Thanks for the story and dropping by.

Texicwaste666

more pics

more pics

Maybe you can get an idea how these things spread out and how tall they get even spread out from these pics. If I hadn't changed my light cycle when I did they would have been 6 footers. Each one of these has about a meter diameter and some are a little over 2 1/2 feet tall over the scrog, and the scrog is 12" over the base. Where will they end?

these are way bigger than they look here
a little under 4 foot tall.jpg

each CMH has 4200 lumens bulb of super multi spectrum. I believe in them now. The one in the middle is a 1200 w HPS DE. The CMH are very low heat, and only use 315w.
they love this light. Over 22,000 lumens.jpg

the canopy is getting a little close to the lights
this is actually bigger than it looks, lights are less than 2 feet over canopy.jpg

under 2 feet of space between the lights and plants
under 2 feet of space between canopy and lights..jpg

in case anyone is wondering, I have been defoliating all the way through. I have removed bags of leaves under and over the canopy.. At this stage tho, I won't do any more even tho they look like they need it.

Last edited:

ULMW

Lovely pics they no doubt are giants as Ace seeds surely pack vigor into them!!! I envy your set up as I am cramped into a tent.
Yeah cobs were common back in the day but I was not in SA , I was in UK them times. Thai Stick, African cobs, African bricks swazi redbeard was another favourite. Durban pencils that the bredrin sellin just said was Zulu tribe dagga.
Hence it is with great joy and utmost raspect that I grow these strains like Malawi.
Happy growing to each and all

Texicwaste666

Lovely pics they no doubt are giants as Ace seeds surely pack vigor into them!!! I envy your set up as I am cramped into a tent.
Yeah cobs were common back in the day but I was not in SA , I was in UK them times. Thai Stick, African cobs, African bricks swazi redbeard was another favourite. Durban pencils that the bredrin sellin just said was Zulu tribe dagga.
Hence it is with great joy and utmost raspect that I grow these strains like Malawi.
Happy growing to each and all
" Thai Stick, African cobs, African bricks swazi redbeard was another favourite. Durban pencils that the bredrin sellin just said was Zulu tribe dagga."
man I'm jealous. you have smoked some of the best weed in the world. how's it goin since Brexit?

Texicwaste666

Malawi report

Malawi report

got some pics of my new setup. I made a new light caddy out of black pipe, now I can mount all kinds of shit. Talk about a job, I had to build it in the room while the lights were out under a green light. Even with this much light I am able to keep temp when lights are on at about 75-79f (26c) and 65f ( 18.5c) when the lights are out. I feed twice a day , when the lights come on and about n hour and a half before they go off.

I am able to move my fans into better position, and add more
got fans in new positions, will add another tomorrow.jpg

my new setup gives me more options
new setup.jpg

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

End of week two flowering,

End of week two flowering,

here are some new pics, everything is looking good, but saw a few flying bugs. Will do a Dr. Doom tomorrow when lights go out, then follow with foliar Capt Jack a few days later and then a drench with Azamax a few days after that, and that will do them for the rest of the grow. Even though I don't see any sign of infestation or problems, bug season is just starting here so it is maintenance time. This is the end of the second week of flowering, middle of week 5 light change.

nice canopy
canopy.jpg

love the way these are developing
everything healthy and green.jpg

I can't choose which is prettier
loving these plants.jpg

buds forming all over the place.
buds everywhere.jpg

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

Malawi Update new pics

Malawi Update new pics

some Chem
Chem oozing.jpg

Chemdawg. This shit is stinky.
Chemdawg.jpg

this one is mislabeled, it's the Chem
Malawi buds.jpg

Malawi
malawi.jpg

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

more pics

more pics

both the malawi and the Chemdawg are looking sweet. Love both, can't choose favorite yet.
fuckin Malawi.jpg

everywhere you look on these there are buds
more Malawi.jpg

I'm thinking this will be my favorite plant. It is a different pheno than the others as it is thick, shorter internodes, and so fucking badass I can't believe it.
this Malawi has a closer  internode, and thicker branches and not as stretchy as the other 3.jpg

going to be a good crop
they all are popping.jpg

another shot of pheno 2, this one is a brute. Look at those tight internodes.
this is the second Malawi Pheno. Looking forward to see how this one goes.jpg

ULMW

Yes TW666, Jungle life looking Nice!!! Can get da feelings here when mi check in on mi Malawi , is just too nice a plant not to give her full praise daily as she grows n grows. Seems like SCROG is a definately advisable move for her indoors due to her desire to grow and grab all available light. Kinda like the Ethiopians I been growing which totally take over indoors. Not tried SCROGing an Ethiopian, maybe next year's grow?
Thanks for the regular updates and photos. Gives people a good idea of the plants behavior and grow habits.
Happy growing!!!

p.s. Brexit?, had to laugh, I nah lived in UK for more than half mi life, I was in Ethiopia, Jamaica and even Asia. Not UK, just born deh and went school deh, then mi got out! Phew! lol!
Peace & Happy growing!

Texicwaste666

Yes TW666, Jungle life looking Nice!!! Can get da feelings here when mi check in on mi Malawi , is just too nice a plant not to give her full praise daily as she grows n grows. Seems like SCROG is a definately advisable move for her indoors due to her desire to grow and grab all available light. Kinda like the Ethiopians I been growing which totally take over indoors. Not tried SCROGing an Ethiopian, maybe next year's grow?
Thanks for the regular updates and photos. Gives people a good idea of the plants behavior and grow habits.
Happy growing!!!

p.s. Brexit?, had to laugh, I nah lived in UK for more than half mi life, I was in Ethiopia, Jamaica and even Asia. Not UK, just born deh and went school deh, then mi got out! Phew! lol!
Peace & Happy growing!
thanks for dropping in.yea, I like the way they have taken to the scrog. Gotta do a lot of plucking tho. I take fan leaves when the stems turn reddish brown ( not purple like cal mag def), or if they turn into a leaf monster and are blocking too much light and can't be moved out of the way. Next grow I'm doing only Malawi x Panama, just got some beans from Ace. I am gonna manifold them. No mixing strains like this one under one scrog net. The only reason I did this time was I intended to cross them, but changed my mind.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Texicwaste666, Very nice looking plants and grow. I hope your bug issue gets resolved. Have they done any damage or are they just present? Chemicals scare me. That said, I don't know what's in the products you use. Hope all goes well. Peace

Texicwaste666

Texicwaste666, Very nice looking plants and grow. I hope your bug issue gets resolved. Have they done any damage or are they just present? Chemicals scare me. That said, I don't know what's in the products you use. Hope all goes well. Peace
just a small dr doom, never had any probs before with it for maintenance. There is no issue as far as bugs or plant diseases, I am more worried at the slow bud development on these. Maybe it is the CNS17, as this is my first grow with that. Too much nitrogen maybe ( not toxicity, but just the way it is mixed. It is one step 2-3-3) ? I have never had buds develop so slow. Even on the Chem which should by now be the size of a golf ball at the least. Also, I was growing in DWC rather than coco mix which I know better. The plants are really healthy, but are not developing buds the way I thought they would. Maybe the more experienced Malawi growers can give me some advice here, because I'm thinking of scraping and cutting my losses. Man, week 5 of light cycle, and they look like week two bud wise. And, no light has gotten to them during the dark period. it has to be the plant food. So, in my opinion, if the buds are not formed up right by now, it may be a waste of time to continue this run. I have plenty of beans, and time, but not the time to waste on something that is not going to turn out right.