What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi feminized

Texicwaste666

things gone wrong

things gone wrong

1. the chem got buried out of the light by the malawi, never mix again on same scrog.
2. for house plants these are beautiful, but for fruit they are way below average for this time in the grow. I have looked at the other grows and these are behind
3. I am using one step CNS17 2-2-3, and I think it has too much nitro in it. Even if I switch to a nute with 0-5-7 it may be too late to get anything
bud wise at this stage.
4. I don't think I am having a prob with the lights or the medium as everything is so healthy, just so slow
5. maybe I am worrying too much
i have not gotten any comments on the bud development

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

solution?

solution?

i am going to switch to micro bloom at 0-5-4 and dump the CNS17
that is 2-2-3. I don't need the nitrogen. If it brings things around cool, if not maybe thin the herd.

Last edited:

The Hatter

Veteran
I haven't grown Malawi before but I have grown plenty of pure sativas that seemed to get a slow start flowering and generally it is never anything to worry about unless there are other signs of illness or deficiencies and I see nothing in your photos that would be indicative of a problem. When I have had plants that seemed behind the curve when it comes to bud production I have generally found they are just really long flowering phenos that will eventually put on the weight and bud development later in flower.

Chem is a WAY faster flowering plant so it should look much further along than the Malawi at this point. I have definitely seen slower starting sativas than the Malawi in your photos. I had one extremely long flowering Zamaldelica that looked like it was in week two of flower at week 7 so I wouldn't be too worried if I was you.

Edit: I assume the yellowing in the photo is from the lighting?

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

I haven't grown Malawi before but I have grown plenty of pure sativas that seemed to get a slow start flowering and generally it is never anything to worry about unless there are other signs of illness or deficiencies and I see nothing in your photos that would be indicative of a problem. When I have had plants that seemed behind the curve when it comes to bud production I have generally found they are just really long flowering phenos that will eventually put on the weight and bud development later in flower.

Chem is a WAY faster flowering plant so it should look much further along than the Malawi at this point. I have definitely seen slower starting sativas than the Malawi in your photos. I had one extremely long flowering Zamaldelica that looked like it was in week two of flower at week 7 so I wouldn't be too worried if I was you.

Edit: I assume the yellowing in the photo is from the lighting?
thanks for the reply Hatter. So you think the Chem is slow too? Growing the Chem in the mix was a mistake. I will give them a chance. I flushed the shit out of them and changed the nutes to a less nitro mix. The yellow is from the light. The green ones are taken with the HPS off. Maybe I am just overworrying.

deepwaterdude

just a small dr doom, never had any probs before with it for maintenance. There is no issue as far as bugs or plant diseases, I am more worried at the slow bud development on these. Maybe it is the CNS17, as this is my first grow with that. Too much nitrogen maybe ( not toxicity, but just the way it is mixed. It is one step 2-3-3) ? I have never had buds develop so slow. Even on the Chem which should by now be the size of a golf ball at the least. Also, I was growing in DWC rather than coco mix which I know better. The plants are really healthy, but are not developing buds the way I thought they would. Maybe the more experienced Malawi growers can give me some advice here, because I'm thinking of scraping and cutting my losses. Man, week 5 of light cycle, and they look like week two bud wise. And, no light has gotten to them during the dark period. it has to be the plant food. So, in my opinion, if the buds are not formed up right by now, it may be a waste of time to continue this run. I have plenty of beans, and time, but not the time to waste on something that is not going to turn out right.

Whoaa, Nellie! Pump da brakes, my friend, you've got a great thing going! Superb scrog and plants that're doing their thing. Your grow is right on for Malawi from what I've seen. Looks like maybe you have a New Killer and Old Killer from how dubi describes them. One fat and columnar, the other many bud sites and branches. Also, many of the more sativa strains begin to show what they got in week 5.
If you're not seeing good growth at that point and you've rectified your N, then I've got a couple of ideas:
One, you said you saw some fliers and you're growing in coco. Check these flyers and identify them. If you've got root aphids, which look a lot like fungus gnats and are much worse and I'm finding out are common in coco mixes, at least my Batch 64, then that will affect flowering as they kill/nest in the roots. Azamax root drench will do 'em, so you've got that covered.
Two, CalMag. They don't look deficient ATM, but coco requires extra, so maybe something like AN's Bud Candy for coco, which is Calmag, Iron and a 0/4/4 PK boost. Those are my two big ideas. Third, much smaller idea is to smoke a fatty and just gander on your mysterious plants.
Otherwise I find reassurance reading through the threads on a particular strain; finding phenos that look like mine and seeing how they grew under varying conditions and I may get an idea if I'm in the ballpark. I think you're going to hit it out of said ballpark, at least for the Malawis, you know more about the ChemDawgs. And I don't say that just because I'm high, I'm a little drunk too. And naturally blabby, I guess;)

Edit: can't believe I forgot something important (stoner sarcasm)-I'd stop defoliating the Malawis and see if they don't change gears. Indicas take quite well to it, but I wouldn't screw too much with a pure sat in early flower as it affects their hormonal state and they can go into defensive posture (Odd words-too much beer); as soon as they set buds I just tuck leaves. I stopped defoliating even sat hybrids like purple trainwreck as it wrecked their flowering rhythm(burp).

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

Whoaa, Nellie! Pump da brakes, my friend, you've got a great thing going! Superb scrog and plants that're doing their thing. Your grow is right on for Malawi from what I've seen. Looks like maybe you have a New Killer and Old Killer from how dubi describes them. One fat and columnar, the other many bud sites and branches. Also, many of the more sativa strains begin to show what they got in week 5.
If you're not seeing good growth at that point and you've rectified your N, then I've got a couple of ideas:
One, you said you saw some fliers and you're growing in coco. Check these flyers and identify them. If you've got root aphids, which look a lot like fungus gnats and are much worse and I'm finding out are common in coco mixes, at least my Batch 64, then that will affect flowering as they kill/nest in the roots. Azamax root drench will do 'em, so you've got that covered.
Two, CalMag. They don't look deficient ATM, but coco requires extra, so maybe something like AN's Bud Candy for coco, which is Calmag, Iron and a 0/4/4 PK boost. Those are my two big ideas. Third, much smaller idea is to smoke a fatty and just gander on your mysterious plants.
Otherwise I find reassurance reading through the threads on a particular strain; finding phenos that look like mine and seeing how they grew under varying conditions and I may get an idea if I'm in the ballpark. I think you're going to hit it out of said ballpark, at least for the Malawis, you know more about the ChemDawgs. And I don't say that just because I'm high, I'm a little drunk too. And naturally blabby, I guess;)

Edit: can't believe I forgot something important (stoner sarcasm)-I'd stop defoliating the Malawis and see if they don't change gears. Indicas take quite well to it, but I wouldn't screw too much with a pure sat in early flower as it affects their hormonal state and they can go into defensive posture (Odd words-too much beer); as soon as they set buds I just tuck leaves. I stopped defoliating even sat hybrids like purple trainwreck as it wrecked their flowering rhythm(burp).
I thought about the de foliating to, but the ones I'm taking are down in the jungle and just hanging there taking light. The leaves I take are fans that have run out of power and big ones I can't tuck. I will try the bud candy as I am going to switch out of CSN17. I don't think I have a bug prob because I have checked and see no signs really of anything wrong with them other than being slow. Maybe they just needed a good flush. I haven't flushed in over two weeks. I did a full flush a little while ago, and fed them fresh nutes. They are stinking, and look great. I think I am being impatient. Thanks for the advice. And thanks guys for stopping in, any and all advice at this stage is appreciated.

ULMW

Tw6666, Sounds like you been having a lot of too much thinking going on. Like you wrote and ithers too. Take a pause fi the cause and having flushed and switched, watch n wait , all will be well and often better does come! Coco is what I been using past few years for simplicity and the only downers are CAL MAG and Salt buildups if you use heavy ferts.
I use canna Coco A & B plus Cal Mag And have used the cannazymn when I had build up probs, seemed to help.
In flowering I also add a splash of AN Nirvana. If I can afford it maybe some Canna Boost.
I hand water to keep it simple for me. I can see the plants increase in drinkong during early 5 wks in flower then at around wk6 to 7 some drop in uptake as the form and build of the bud is now getting focus. At that time I drop nutes a bit , zero N if poss. Then watch for next few weeks. If it is a long flowering type the plant may need a second dose of N later on just to help with 3rd phase and final life cycle of the plant and buds.
I think your grow is going very well and you will enjoy the harvest.
Sats always take a bit longer, don't they? When you thinking its ready add a week or two extra is something many farmers say. Hold strong TW666 and all will be well. Happy growing!

The Hatter

Veteran
Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with your Chem plants. What I was trying to say is that it is normal that their bud development looks a bit further along than your Malawi which judging from your photos is the case. Honestly, I think your grow looks great with no signs of any sickness or deficiency.

I think you are running the risk of over thinking and worrying your plants to death which I is something we have all done at some point or another. Generally, unless there are sure signs of a problem that needs to be addressed then I wouldn't go about radically changing your routine trying to fix a problem that isn't there. Plants adapt to their surroundings so it isn't a good idea to constantly change those conditions unless there is a real reason to do so since you may upset their equilibrium and actually do more harm than good.

I have had this happen before where I saw some tiny indication of a deficiency or a problem and then rather than make small changes to the feeding schedule I just freaked out and decided to try a completely new line of fertilizer products when I all I really needed to do was add a bit more K. Anyway, when I changed out my entire fertilizer regimen it ended up shocking one of my plants. The plant didn't look sick or deficient, but what it did do was stop taking up water like it used to and it basically spent the next week not growing at all. That plant was fine once it adjusted to the new nutes but it was forever a bit behind the others because of that. Anyway the point of my story is that by overreacting and changing everything I actually did more harm than good.

Your grow looks great. I think you are correct in your assessment that all you really need here is a bit more patience. Everything just takes longer with tropical sativas.

Texicwaste666

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest there was anything wrong with your Chem plants. What I was trying to say is that it is normal that their bud development looks a bit further along than your Malawi which judging from your photos is the case. Honestly, I think your grow looks great with no signs of any sickness or deficiency.

I think you are running the risk of over thinking and worrying your plants to death which I is something we have all done at some point or another. Generally, unless there are sure signs of a problem that needs to be addressed then I wouldn't go about radically changing your routine trying to fix a problem that isn't there. Plants adapt to their surroundings so it isn't a good idea to constantly change those conditions unless there is a real reason to do so since you may upset their equilibrium and actually do more harm than good.

I have had this happen before where I saw some tiny indication of a deficiency or a problem and then rather than make small changes to the feeding schedule I just freaked out and decided to try a completely new line of fertilizer products when I all I really needed to do was add a bit more K. Anyway, when I changed out my entire fertilizer regimen it ended up shocking one of my plants. The plant didn't look sick or deficient, but what it did do was stop taking up water like it used to and it basically spent the next week not growing at all. That plant was fine once it adjusted to the new nutes but it was forever a bit behind the others because of that. Anyway the point of my story is that by overreacting and changing everything I actually did more harm than good.

Your grow looks great. I think you are correct in your assessment that all you really need here is a bit more patience. Everything just takes longer with tropical sativas.
thanks Hatter. I think you are right, I am just overthinking. I have decided to stay the course after so many encouraging replies and you are right, I don't see anything wrong other than my not having any experience with Malawi. The Chem will be fine, but never mixing like this again unless I really know the strains. They do like the CNS and will finish this grow with it. I am sure after this one I will be an experienced Malawi or at least better equipped for it than I was going into this one.

Texicwaste666

Tw6666, Sounds like you been having a lot of too much thinking going on. Like you wrote and ithers too. Take a pause fi the cause and having flushed and switched, watch n wait , all will be well and often better does come! Coco is what I been using past few years for simplicity and the only downers are CAL MAG and Salt buildups if you use heavy ferts.
I use canna Coco A & B plus Cal Mag And have used the cannazymn when I had build up probs, seemed to help.
In flowering I also add a splash of AN Nirvana. If I can afford it maybe some Canna Boost.
I hand water to keep it simple for me. I can see the plants increase in drinkong during early 5 wks in flower then at around wk6 to 7 some drop in uptake as the form and build of the bud is now getting focus. At that time I drop nutes a bit , zero N if poss. Then watch for next few weeks. If it is a long flowering type the plant may need a second dose of N later on just to help with 3rd phase and final life cycle of the plant and buds.
I think your grow is going very well and you will enjoy the harvest.
Sats always take a bit longer, don't they? When you thinking its ready add a week or two extra is something many farmers say. Hold strong TW666 and all will be well. Happy growing!
thanks ULMW, I think I just needed to flush real good and chill. I am going to keep on keepin on. Canna coco is very expensive but good stuff. I think I am overreacting and they look good, but I still think they are getting too much nitro. I have some safe ideas me thinks I will try. After all, this is my first Malawi grow so learning is utmost priority.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Gotta love the learning curves of growing.

Gotta love the learning curves of growing.

After all, this is my first Malawi grow so learning is utmost priority.

You are right, If we don't look for issues or solutions our skills never improve. I'm learning, I find the answer to my problem quicker. When I look into mirror first. When you start out with good genetics. That is seldom the problem. Even a subtle change can have large effects if over looked. Peace

Texicwaste666

week six 11-13 light cycle

week six 11-13 light cycle

tomorrow starts week six since changing to 11/13. The back left Malawi and the Chemdawg are great plants, the other three are really leggy and the buds are stringy. The back left Malawi is stout with tight internodal length, great flowering so far.

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

After all, this is my first Malawi grow so learning is utmost priority.

You are right, If we don't look for issues or solutions our skills never improve. I'm learning, I find the answer to my problem quicker. When I look into mirror first. When you start out with good genetics. That is seldom the problem. Even a subtle change can have large effects if over looked. Peace
I don't think at this point I have myself to blame for anything other than mixing these strains in the same scrog.I have gone over my feed routine, mix and extras carefully in the last day or two, and concluded all is well there. I like the Malawi that is tight and chunky, but the stringy ones are ok to, just more Mexican looking. I have had no bug, bio or mold/mildew probs. I have seen the buds that the tall leggy Malawi produce in other threads compared to the other pheno that produces the more chunky buds, and they both are good genetically. They are what they are. I think I have learned enough from this grow to know what not to do next time. I always get excited during the mid part of a grow because that is the make it or break it time. cheers

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
I just found this and cant wait to see roof lift off its going to be a ripper mate.
Tangwena

Texicwaste666

I just found this and cant wait to see roof lift off its going to be a ripper mate.
Tangwena
thanks for dropping in Tangwena . I hope so, I had to do some bending this morn. All in all I thinks it's coming along but it is still early in the Malawi grow. They don't stop shooting up do they?

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

Ace is the place

Ace is the place

Super fast delivery of my Malawi x Panama. Looking forward to doing these next grow. I don't know much about Bangi Haze but got some testers. Will be posting some new pics tonight.

Borderliner

Super fast delivery of my Malawi x Panama. Looking forward to doing these next grow. I don't know much about Bangi Haze but got some testers. Will be posting some new pics tonight.

Tex my malawixpanama are a leggy girls fyi.

I'm 2 wks into flower and still stretching some.:tiphat:

Texicwaste666

Tex my malawixpanama are a leggy girls fyi.

I'm 2 wks into flower and still stretching some.:tiphat:
I figured. I'm going into week six and the Malawi are still stretching ( but it's only been about 17 days since they started showing buds), but I have a plan. I am gonna manifold them and not use the scrog next grow. By the time this one is done I should have a pretty good idea of what to expect hopefully. Thanks for dropping by.