What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magic Mushroom Grow Kit?

xet

I read the whole thread in one sitting, good stuff.

I am looking into the natalensis and in a wild bird seed sub.

Why do some growers grow in a shoebox with no light? Is the light an either/or thing?

Is there any reason I would not want to innoculate with 5 different strains to see what hybrid I can come up with?

Why are shrooms not dried and cured slow like cannabis at 60'F for 10 days? Would they be better?

Happy shrooming.

BudToaster

Veteran
I read the whole thread in one sitting, good stuff.

I am looking into the natalensis and in a wild bird seed sub.

Why do some growers grow in a shoebox with no light? Is the light an either/or thing?

Is there any reason I would not want to innoculate with 5 different strains to see what hybrid I can come up with?

Why are shrooms not dried and cured slow like cannabis at 60'F for 10 days? Would they be better?

Happy shrooming.

my understanding is the light makes the mycelium think it has reached the outside of the cowpie. the shroom fruit will grow toward the light. i put the rye berry jars in a dark box after innoculation - don't need light at that stage.

i don't think you could get a hybrid from mixing several strains - i have wondered about that. but for my most recent attempts i want to get reproducible dosing results - so i am keeping the strains separate - growing and storage. i don't really know but i think you need to use spores and agar to create hybrids. but i haven't researched it.

my major fear about drying is to get them dry fast enough so they don't get moldy ... maybe an unfounded fear. certainly my fears about possible contamination were overcome with Everclear.

Reactions: xet

xet

my understanding is the light makes the mycelium think it has reached the outside of the cowpie. the shroom fruit will grow toward the light. i put the rye berry jars in a dark box after innoculation - don't need light at that stage.

i don't think you could get a hybrid from mixing several strains - i have wondered about that. but for my most recent attempts i want to get reproducible dosing results - so i am keeping the strains separate - growing and storage. i don't really know but i think you need to use spores and agar to create hybrids. but i haven't researched it.

my major fear about drying is to get them dry fast enough so they don't get moldy ... maybe an unfounded
Thank you for the info.

As I understand it two spores are required to come together and create mycelium so a spore of X strain and a spore of Y strain will come together to form Z mycelium which would be a hybrid.

Naturally this means I have a lot more reading to do.

The shoebox I am referring to is one of those clear tubs so maybe just having the tub in a room well lit with natural light is enough. Maybe a dedicated light enhances growth, I don't know, yet.

Anyone have experience with the nats?

xet

shroomdrying.png

BudToaster

Veteran
@xet - i do an air dry - flat rather than stung up like that - for 24 hours, once in a while for a bit longer, but they don't get cracker dry until i put into the box with desiccant packs. that certainly provides better exposure of all surfaces, but i don't have the patience to string dozens of shrooms.

xet

@xet - i do an air dry - flat rather than stung up like that - for 24 hours, once in a while for a bit longer, but they don't get cracker dry until i put into the box with desiccant packs. that certainly provides better exposure of all surfaces, but i don't have the patience to string dozens of shrooms.
I was reading about the constituent compounds of the psilocybin and people were speaking of entourage effect and I immediately thought "well we need to slow this drying process down" not that the aliens won't visit if they are dried at 130'F on a Saturday but maybe it could be deeper and more meaningful experience slowed down and dried over 10 days at 60'F. Maybe I am wrong, I am but a newbie.

BudToaster

Veteran
he mentions a dehumidifier in the last segment - necessary because i can't air dry below ambient humidity - here mid-Atlantic coastal is too humid to air dry my shrooms. i do have a small 8"x8"x4" Peltier dehumidifier which i use sometimes for quick dry of cannabis, but it is in a cardboard box with drying screens (kind of like in that video) and it does get hot and raises the temp in the dry box to >90°F. i shoot for about 55% RH - my preferred vape humidity. moving away from this tek - last couple of plants i just air dry.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I was reading about the constituent compounds of the psilocybin and people were speaking of entourage effect and I immediately thought "well we need to slow this drying process down" not that the aliens won't visit if they are dried at 130'F on a Saturday but maybe it could be deeper and more meaningful experience slowed down and dried over 10 days at 60'F. Maybe I am wrong, I am but a newbie.
Everything I read suggests to dry mushrooms as fast as possible due to moulds etc. The other thing is that they need to be crispy dry to weigh and dose correctly. Of course you can still just eat mushrooms without knowing the dose, but its much nicer if you can tailor your dose correctly. A must if you are microdosing.

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
I read somewhere about cold water extraction, where you cut the shrooms up into small pieces, place in a glass bowl and cover with ice, cover it with cling wrap and place it in the fridge, as the ice melts slowly it extracts the psilocyben (sillycyben :p ) and you can refreeze the water and repeat the process to make it stronger, you end up with a blue liquid called blue juice.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I read somewhere about cold water extraction, where you cut the shrooms up into small pieces, place in a glass bowl and cover with ice, cover it with cling wrap and place it in the fridge, as the ice melts slowly it extracts the psilocyben (sillycyben :p ) and you can refreeze the water and repeat the process to make it stronger, you end up with a blue liquid called blue juice.
Here you go Frosty.

moose eater

my major fear about drying is to get them dry fast enough so they don't get moldy ... maybe an unfounded fear. certainly my fears about possible contamination were overcome with Everclear.
I built drying boxes long ago when I was doing this more regularly.

Take a shallow food storage tub, and make a wooden frame from untreated finished lumber, say 1" x 2" pieces in a square that is maybe 8" to 10" by 8" to 10".

Cover the frame with 1/4" or similar hardware cloth; slightly smaller than that if possible, but I never found any smaller.

Have a pedestal inside the food storage box on which to set the frame with the hardware cloth.

Load the tub around the base of the wooden pedestal with granular dessicant of proven quality.

Make sure you have a tub that has a relatively tight fitting lid, preferably a sealable lid.

Place the mushrooms in single layer across the hardware cloth, and close the lid. Don't let mushrooms contact the dessicant. Change dessicant as needed.

Presto; mushroom drying box.

Last edited:

BudToaster

Veteran
Burma is still producing ... there were 2 fruits last night, veil still intact so i let 'em roll over night. Wow! they were taller and almost twice the size across the cap this morning with veils dropped. massive growth overnight.

BudToaster

Veteran
well, Burma is done, dried and in the holding jar for grinding to powder. probably 50% more than the Nepal.

total of 4 week fruiting for the Burma. so, 3 months + 1 week, start to finish. easy peasy, except for the black fliers being annoying. lessons learned, so that's always good. two syringes still waiting.

BudToaster

Veteran
i finally tripped today on my Burma grow with a 3.15g dose.

here is a useful metric: 1 level teaspoon of ground dried Burma is 1.05g.

seeped the dose in a cup with a green tea teabag for 20 minutes, strained, and drank. Best way yet to ingest. Pretty quick at about 20 minutes to come on.

the first hour was pretty intense - some visuals, some vivid color images with eyes closed ... i need to up my dose – no ego dissolving yet. i always get so anxious/scared about doing this, and it really is nothing … maybe i can finally relax next time. i worry that i will end up puking, but that just doesn't happen.