What's new

Macro photography 101

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Thanks for the tip bro! I never knew the ring flashes were so cheap (made in China anyways.) Always thought they are way more expensive than a normal flash unit since the last I was in a camera store their cheapest one was like 400€ and the macro slider heads for tripod didn't sell for any less than 100€+ too. Might want to buy that aperture ring too.. a bit pain in the ass to lock it manually before reversing. :good:

I'm certain I won't get "professional" results but it lets me gain some experience at a much lower entry cost so I gave it a go. Best of luck!!!

asaf

Beautiful shoots @Bud-O-Phile I think, in macro, the ring flash is for walk with the camera in hand as in the wild. With this type of photography, low light, tripods, etc. you can open the curtain and with one flash in hand make the appropriate shoots in the appropriate direction.

You can also use mirror lockup.

As general norm all glass addition to the optic = big quality reduction.

Foresee dof is crucial.

Ignatz

Veteran
Bud-O-Phile, I'm sure you had good value for the $8 spent. Nice pictures.
Next time you feel like a big spender, maybe have a look at something like this?

picture.php

Meike MK-C-UP

It will set you back some $50, and there will be light... or at least you will see what you are doing.
Lighting on the cheap, IKEA Jansjö (~$10, get 2 or 3) is popular with some serious bug-guys.

picture.php

Malawi x Panama. And a fly. In the sun.

:tiphat:

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Just getting started

Just getting started

with my cheap ass ghetto setup from Amazon.

picture.php

picture.php

Not great, but not bad for a first go.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
I'm sure there are limitations when working with a reversed lens

I'm sure there are limitations when working with a reversed lens

but can anybody give me some tips on better focus? I'm shooting with a Nikon D5200 but whether I use the viewfinder or the LCD screen I find it really hard to get a crisp focus

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

rmkking

Dawnpatrol, throw your camera into live mode and then zoom in as far as you want on the viewfinder and focus, zoom out, take it outta live mode and take your shots

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Dawnpatrol, throw your camera into live mode and then zoom in as far as you want on the viewfinder and focus, zoom out, take it outta live mode and take your shots

Thanks for the input, will try it out this weekend!

PDX Dopesmoker

I took this with a Nikon S9500 I bought used for $60
40 pixels across the diameter of a trichome head seems to be about the best it can do, which seems to be a bit better than most cameras. Hopefully in the future I'll be able improve my macro photos by growing larger trichomes.
O2DJh7A.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts