What's new

Macro photography 101

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Accidental finger hurt above the greens...
picture.php

GastroGrower

I LOVE Macro photography. Such a phenomenal way to get a different perspective on the world. I just got a decent DSRL a while ago and have been practicing myself.

Subbed!

B

BAKED_BEANZ

heres one i took , i just like . never had camera before . so some of my first shots
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

asaf

Macro is a world one lovely surprise per square centimeter.
Marvelous Zygoptera copula and immediate lay. Hot end of summer in the river. :peacock:

picture.php

picture.php

Bud-O-Phile

Decided to order a cheap chinese 58mm reverse ring for my Canon 550D for a measly 8$ and I have to tell you it's money well spent if you want decent macros and don't want to spend a fortune on expensive macro lenses.

These were taken with a reversed EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 III kit lens with the aperture locked at f/11. Focusing becomes incredibly hard since you can't see shit from the viewfinder nor the liveview while the lens is locked in at such small aperture but I managed to get a few decent shots none the less.

9MTOmvw.jpg

1h44mEj.jpg

I also have a set of extension tubes (13+21+31) and a +4 diopter close-up filter to go the extra mile if I want to get even closer but then again I would need a good flash unit and preferably a ring mounted one since the built-in isn't usable even with just reversing the lens and the shutter times tend to drop so many steps that even the slightest breeze (like breathing) will fuck up your shots. Shame to also lose the AF function.. would be nice if I could use magic lantern to do a photo stack to increase the DOF which manually focusing is next to impossible.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
Decided to order a cheap chinese 58mm reverse ring for my Canon 550D for a measly 8$ and I have to tell you it's money well spent if you want decent macros and don't want to spend a fortune on expensive macro lenses.

I also have a set of extension tubes (13+21+31) and a +4 diopter close-up filter to go the extra mile if I want to get even closer but then again I would need a good flash unit and preferably a ring mounted one since the built-in isn't usable even with just reversing the lens and the shutter times tend to drop so many steps that even the slightest breeze (like breathing) will fuck up your shots. Shame to also lose the AF function.. would be nice if I could use magic lantern to do a photo stack to increase the DOF which manually focusing is next to impossible.

Check out Amazon, for about $150 I got the following for my Nikon:

reversing ring,
aperture ring
extension tubes
ring flash
4 way adjustable head for tripod for focusing

may not get the best shots, but I can't even touch a used macro lens for twice that price.

Won't have all the parts until next week but I can't wait to play with it.

Bud-O-Phile

Check out Amazon, for about $150 I got the following for my Nikon:

reversing ring,
aperture ring
extension tubes
ring flash
4 way adjustable head for tripod for focusing

may not get the best shots, but I can't even touch a used macro lens for twice that price.

Won't have all the parts until next week but I can't wait to play with it.

Thanks for the tip bro! I never knew the ring flashes were so cheap (made in China anyways.) Always thought they are way more expensive than a normal flash unit since the last I was in a camera store their cheapest one was like 400€ and the macro slider heads for tripod didn't sell for any less than 100€+ too. Might want to buy that aperture ring too.. a bit pain in the ass to lock it manually before reversing. :good: