What's new

Mac vs. PC - the great debate

Hard to believe you are a windows user and don't know how the directory gets fucked up so often it requires a complete reinstall often. But you are the one and only windows user that this has never happened to.

And yes, under every flavor of windows is a flavor of DOS from the late "70's early '80's. That's the main reason the OS is fucked up. MS should've shit canned DOS years ago but they were too greedy and wanted to keep people and companies locked into their OS for $$$.

That first paragraph is simply not true. I've maintained a business computer for over 7 years now that's still running it's original XP installation without any problems whatsoever. All the machines I've used XP on are stil running fine, with absolutely nothing wrong with the directories. It's when you start carelessly messing with software that problems arise.

I'm not sure how you've concluded that every Windows operating system to date is just another version of DOS. MS DOS used a monolithic kernel and was CLI-based, for a start. The differences between Microsoft operating systems of the last 10 years and MS DOS are vast.

B

Bud Bug

Hard to believe you are a windows user and don't know how the directory gets fucked up so often it requires a complete reinstall often. But you are the one and only windows user that this has never happened to.

I don't know what you're talking about but I've never or now anyone that had any directory structure messing up (unless you're referring to something else) in xp/2000/xp/vista and now 7 forcing to reload windows ALL the time. Never even had a registry go bad. I've use to have tons of boxes running at the same time running W2k/XP serving as shoutcast/icecast/apache/ftp from home back in the day.

Maybe if you're stupid you'll fuck something up but then that can be done on any os.

grapeman

Veteran
That first paragraph is simply not true. I've maintained a business computer for over 7 years now that's still running it's original XP installation without any problems whatsoever. All the machines I've used XP on are stil running fine, with absolutely nothing wrong with the directories. It's when you start carelessly messing with software that problems arise.

I'm not sure how you've concluded that every Windows operating system to date is just another version of DOS. MS DOS used a monolithic kernel and was CLI-based, for a start. The differences between Microsoft operating systems of the last 10 years and MS DOS are vast.

Sorry still dos. Just an upgraded flavor. And you are the exception rather then the rule on the fine maintenance on your windows machine. But you have to know that.

THC4SIM

Mac's, hands down better in every way... lol

and i aint getting into it any further,
just throwing my cup full of petrol onto the fire... lol

I develop software and prefer PC for my environment. Also the workgroups makes it easier in the office. Another thing the PC exceeds at is if I need a tool I can download a cracked program and have it running way before a mac guy can find the tool. When I worked in opre-press we worked on motorola based macs that would crash 4 times every 8 hour shift. Ask a Mac guy what client he uses for fxp or passive transfers and look at the blank stare in his eyes. There's still wider variety of software for PC. Much larger.

C

cyberwax

One of the major advantages Apple has is controlling the end to end user experience. This means the hardware works perfectly with the software. Networks, printers, and other peripheral devices work out of the box without lots of setup, configuration, and preferences. For years this has been a major advantage for Apple. The downside is that Apple products cost more and you can only get software and peripheral devices from limited sources. Microsoft, in contrast, is the Swiss Army Knife of the tech world. It can do anything with any vendor of any hardware, software, of game maker. All these choices from different vendors cause lots of variation in design, installation, OS requirements, and overall user experience. The Apple experience is just easier and more elegant.

In other words; A Mac is no more than dandy hardware with a pricetag inflation based upon hype and the technical knowhow requirements of a wombat.

Mac's, hands down better in every way... lol

and i aint getting into it any further,
just throwing my cup full of petrol onto the fire... lol

And this reflects the statements above and is the general attitude of a mac user; not willing to go into detail as they know of none, and not eager to spend time on trying to write it as a short post is much easier to read than a detailed one; where facts are laid on the table.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
One of the major advantages Apple has is controlling the end to end user experience. This means the hardware works perfectly with the software. Networks, printers, and other peripheral devices work out of the box without lots of setup, configuration, and preferences.The Apple experience is just easier and more elegant.

In other words; A Mac is no more than dandy hardware with a pricetag inflation based upon hype and the technical knowhow requirements of a wombat.
or better put

In other words; A Mac is no more than dandy hardware which works perfectly with the software with a slight pricetag inflation based upon reputation and the technical knowhow requirements of an average consumer.

Norrath

or better put

In other words; A Mac is no more than dandy hardware which works perfectly with the software with a slight pricetag inflation based upon reputation and the technical knowhow requirements of an average consumer.
if slight is a euphemism for overtly pricey, then yes.

i have noticed the kind of person with little to no understanding, or WILL to learn and understand how to troubleshoot and break down computer issues will gyrate towards Macs, and when finding they dont break, but simply do what the user wishes, claim theyve stumbled upon the next best thing. Becoming learned how to fix a PC is like learning basic car maintenance. There are those that DIY, and those that go dealership. tis quite the hyperbole because cars are obviously far more advanced, consisting of thousands more components than a computer, but computers are not limited by their components for the number of issues that may arise, so yes there are times when even the lowly techy cannot fix the pc and it must be replaced or fixed via "someone better"

It's why the price has no bearing on what kind of user buys mac, because theyre just going to go that way anyways when they end up with a blue screen or directory issues and cry wolf.. Not willing to take out the ram and try again. Or use google, or use Hardforums or any other technical forum. This is just observation in my personal experience.

it's the lazy consumer whore that buys mac, blanket statement. i know the type of person, you do too. i know a few, and one in particular lovessss the ease of macs, but cannot afford to fix, or replace his recently crashed macbook, which probably would be a bitch to take and fix as a pc user myself. He has replaced his mbook with a cheap toshiba pc laptop to his dismay. reliability and cost of computer ware is not worth that market youre buying into. i prefer my freerange pc with endless possibilities at dirt cheap, throw away prices.

opt1c

Veteran
well i'm an old school cpu guy... got started on the c64 then moved to the x86 architecture.. lived in the back alleys of irc for the better part of the early mid 90s in high school... always was a hardcore pc guy but i have to say... my shiny imac is nice to look at and i think i can count the number of times my web browser has locked up on one hand... had it for over two years probably; i have xp for dual-boot but i don't remember the last time i used it.... fwiw i have a x41 thinkpad with xp i use for logging data off my car so i'm no mac fanboy

i will say that i wish my mom had a mac cuz constantly fixing her pc gets annoying.. anyone else here there family's resident computer tech?

RetroGrow

Veteran
A Mac is nothing but a proprietary PC.
PC components are commodities.
You should be able to buy your own parts and build your own, and make it any way you want.

Oh, That's right!
You can do that with a PC.
But, not a Mac.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
A Mac is nothing but a proprietary PC.
PC components are commodities.
You should be able to buy your own parts and build your own, and make it any way you want.

Oh, That's right!
You can do that with a PC.
But, not a Mac.

I can :tiphat:
You've never seen a mac pro?
or a hackintosh?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
:)
Aha....it's not the same......you have to hack the OS onto limited types of hardware, and you have nowhere near the options that I have in building a PC.
With a PC, I an be an artist:artist:
But With a mac pro I have to hack nothing... I can configure a mac to wax any pc... I could care less what any of you think of mac... I never get frustrated with my mac. PCs piss me off regularly. macs benchmark better and apple laptops are better. Buy whatever you like but my mac is like a sore dick. (you can't beat it)

what's wrong with one of these?
MAC Pro 8-core
Two 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem” processors
32GB of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM
3x 2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
4x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
Two 18x SuperDrives
Apple Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and User's Guide
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card with 802.11n
Quad-channel 4Gb Fibre Channel PCI Express card

jd4083

Veteran
But With a mac pro I have to hack nothing... I can configure a mac to wax any pc... I could care less what any of you think of mac... I never get frustrated with my mac. PCs piss me off regularly. macs benchmark better and apple laptops are better. Buy whatever you like but my mac is like a sore dick. (you can't beat it)

what's wrong with one of these?

Nothing's wrong at all, we're simply saying that you can configure an identical machine for literally 1/4 the price or LESS, and if you really want the cute lil Mac desktop, dual boot to OSX. Graphic design is my job and I do just fine on windows machines. I'd love to have a Mac, but truthfully I'm not interested enough in aesthetics and the "cool factor" to justify spending 4x+ the price on the same performance. The end.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
PCs are not 1/4 the cost of similar macs. If you find a good deal you can buy a comparable pc desktop machine for 70% of the apple.

jd4083

Veteran
PCs are not 1/4 the cost of similar macs.

If you would be so kind as to provide a link/price for the mac machine that you listed, I will happily give you a shopping cart list from newegg or similar for an identical PC build for 1/4 the price or better.

edit- assuming we're talking about a tower here, not a laptop...although I have an inkling I could find a similar deal for the latter ;)

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
If you would be so kind as to provide a link/price for the mac machine that you listed, I will happily give you a shopping cart list from newegg or similar for an identical PC build for 1/4 the price or better.

edit- assuming we're talking about a tower here, not a laptop...although I have an inkling I could find a similar deal for the latter ;)

Ok, but you have to match the hardware capabilities exactly.
It's about 10k worth of mac.

jd4083

Veteran
Ok, but you have to match the hardware capabilities exactly.
It's about 10k worth of mac.

Fair enough. I like a challenge. :tiphat: If you could post a link to the apple page or distributor where you found the quoted information I'll get to work. I'd like to know an exact price for the equipment listed so there's no room for error or argument. ;)