What's new

Mac vs. PC - the great debate

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Fair enough. I like a challenge. :tiphat: If you could post a link to the apple page or distributor where you found the quoted information I'll get to work. I'd like to know an exact price for the equipment listed so there's no room for error or argument. ;)

just looking at the guts I'm up to nearly $8 000.00 worth of parts... Add in labor and the slick apple tower shell + the superior OS and complete hardware integration... Worth every penny to me.

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2001FASS 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136456
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$839.97
($279.99 each)

XFX GT240XYHFC GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814150452
Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy

$399.96
($99.99 each)

ASUS Z8PE-D12(ASMB4-IKVM) Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5520 Tylersburg SSI EEB 3.61 Dual Intel Xeon 5500 Series w/ Remote Management ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131373

$384.99

Intel BXSTS100A Active heat sink with fixed fan - Retail
Item #: N82E16835203002
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
-$29.45 Saving

$29.45
$0.00

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) ECC Registered Server Memory Model KVR1066D3S4R7SK2/4GI - Retail
Item #: N82E16820134943
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy

$151.99

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ECC Registered Server Memory Model KVR1066D3D4R7S/4G - Retail
Item #: N82E16820139100

$141.83

Kingston 24GB (3 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) ECC Registered System Specific Memory Model KTH-PL310QK3/24G - Retail
Item #: N82E16820134948
-$310.00 Instant

$2,999.00
$2,689.00

LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA Model WH10LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
Item #: N82E16827136181
-$15.00 Instant

$327.98
$297.98
($148.99 each)

Intel Xeon X5570 Nehalem 2.93GHz LGA 1366 95W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602X5570 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819117180
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

$2,879.98
($1,439.99 each)
Subtotal: $7,785.70
Calculate Shipping
Zip Code:
Shipping: $0.00

Redeem Newegg Gift Cards
Card Number: Security Code:
Apply Promo Code(s):

Promo Code: $0.00
No Interest if paid in full in 12 Months on orders over $500.
Subject to credit approval. Details
Grand Total:* $7,785.70
* Above total does not include shipping or taxes. Please input zip code to calculate your grand total.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran

Norrath

i suppose ive never been at liberty to ask this, but i spose this is best place for it, CAN you even build your own mac with your own hands?

edit. i just built a $21,000.00 mac on that website. laugh out loud.

RetroGrow

Veteran
just looking at the guts I'm up to nearly $8 000.00 worth of parts... Add in labor and the slick apple tower shell + the superior OS and complete hardware integration... Worth every penny to me.

Bro, those prices are insane!!!!!
I can build 10 smokin' PCs for that.
Bang for the buck, that's what it's all about.
Or I can build 6 super gaming PCs for that money.
By the way, you should have gone with the WD Raptor drives which are much faster. Slap them in a RAID array. Or, in your price bracket (no limit) you might as well go SCSI or SSD.
The hard drives are the bottleneck in your system. Why buy all the other super fast stuff and skimp on the hard drives?
:tiphat:

THC4SIM

And this reflects the statements above and is the general attitude of a mac user; not willing to go into detail as they know of none, and not eager to spend time on trying to write it as a short post is much easier to read than a detailed one; where facts are laid on the table.

Arsed! lol :laughing:

Fat J

Hehe, this is great, I can feel the love.I know why norrath's on the pc side - mac wont run EQ2 ^.^

Mac, PC both suxorzz, I run a raido shack TRS-80, and an OS2 box for intensive apps.

Think im gonna roll back my xp box to run win3.1... good old trumpet winsock.

on the real tho - if you are a gamer or like lotsa lotsa lotsa free apps and are willing to manage the system and know how to not f**k it up - pc ftw - I'll never go back to mac. (my last apple was a IIc hehe)

If you just want to turn it on and have it work and dont mind paying a LOT more for software or just using the preloaded apps - get a mac. (or if you have no freakin tech smarts)

I WISH MY GRANDMA WOULD GET A MAC - as much as I hate them, im constantly fixing her pc and the mac I think she could understand hehe ^.^

oh, one more thing... Old macs used to crash. A LOT. I used to work on G3s and the original iMACs which had serious problems, very similar to the registry problems stupid ppl cause in win xp systems. used to have to dig through the extensions and honestly, the troubleshooting on them was WAY harder than on a pc b/c of the redundant steps to isolate conflicts.

One more thing: ppl say that MACs are better for GFX - look into what SGI or ILM uses - PC based systems - try to find a serious 3d rendering card for a mac thats comparable to the commercial pc market - they dont exist - macs are for custies, not bosses.

^.^

MAC = FAIL = 411 u 13w7 4r3 8310ng 70 m3!!1!1!!1

Herbasaurus

ICMag Donor
The cheapest Apple notebook will have more than enough power. I have even edited video on one.

I have both PC and the mac notebook - the mac is more reliable, easier to use.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Bro, those prices are insane!!!!!
I can build 10 smokin' PCs for that.
Bang for the buck, that's what it's all about.
Or I can build 6 super gaming PCs for that money.
By the way, you should have gone with the WD Raptor drives which are much faster. Slap them in a RAID array. Or, in your price bracket (no limit) you might as well go SCSI or SSD.
The hard drives are the bottleneck in your system. Why buy all the other super fast stuff and skimp on the hard drives?
:tiphat:

LMAO I was looking at building a PC to match that mac. The $8K+ worth of parts was for the PC from newegg. I'd actually probably go 2x 2tb drives + 1 SSD. Anyone saying comparable PC is 25% of mac price is full of shit.

blinx420

Mac are good for work and newbs THATS IT!!
PC's are good for EVERYTHING cost less and will rape a Mac leaving it crying for upgrades Lolers

grapeman

Veteran
Nothing's wrong at all, we're simply saying that you can configure an identical machine for literally 1/4 the price or LESS, and if you really want the cute lil Mac desktop, dual boot to OSX. Graphic design is my job and I do just fine on windows machines. I'd love to have a Mac, but truthfully I'm not interested enough in aesthetics and the "cool factor" to justify spending 4x+ the price on the same performance. The end.

Stop with the bullshit already. You cannot configure an identical machine for 1/4 the price. That is complete and utter bullshit.

And if you do pay a small premium for the mac, rest assured you are no longer running windows circa 1980. You are running BSD Unix.

But if you shop, you will not pay a premium for a mac laptop. No way no how.

grapeman

Veteran
LMAO I was looking at building a PC to match that mac. The $8K+ worth of parts was for the PC from newegg. I'd actually probably go 2x 2tb drives + 1 SSD. Anyone saying comparable PC is 25% of mac price is full of shit.

As someone said a few posts ago about beating a dead horse....

Another horse analogy would be about leading a horse to water.....

Can't win here Gratfulh3ad. Can't even make factual arguments because the kids here who are arguing with non factual arguments still think their pc would "smoke" our macs, as someone said above. LOL

Ignorance runs deep in this world. There are only 4 reasons not to own a mac.
1) your works uses programs that are left over from the 1990's and you need a dedicated windows environment 24/7.
2) You cannot afford the few hundred dollars to step UP to the mac platform and cut the chains of windows.
3) You play games and nothing else and you don't want to be bothered to boot up windows using "boot camp".
4) You're just plain stupid, and believe the bullshit from the 1990's still applies today, which it clearly does not.

Can't really think of any good reasons but these are the reasons from the past that still apply to the unwashed window users of today. Their idea of video editing is "Vegas" software. LOL

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Ignorance runs deep in this world. There are only 3 reasons not to own a mac.
1) your works uses programs that are left over from the 1990's and you need a dedicated windows environment 24/7.
2) You cannot afford the few hundred dollars to step UP to the mac platform and cut the chains of windows.
3) You're just plain stupid, and believe the bullshit from the 1990's still applies today, which it clearly does not.

This is the kind of shit that makes you Pro-Mac guys look like idiots.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
I use many programs that don't run on Macs..

Macs cost too much..

I need atleast 3 monitors. Mac monitors are way too expensive and im not doing graphic design...

And i have never had problems with my PC..not ever! If you know how to use a computer at all you should never have problems. Who gives a shit about viruses ? I have 2 anti-virus programs running and i don't download anything that i don't scan first.

And this biaatch is fast as shit!

And never got that Mac look and image thing. IMO they look like toys. And the image of Mac users. That's enough to turn you off...

Hey any you guys mind running metatrader and see if it works for you ? My friend wanted to use it and said he could not cause he had a mac. I looked for a soulution but the stuff i found was just too much effort.

B

Bud Bug

Stop with the bullshit already. You cannot configure an identical machine for 1/4 the price. That is complete and utter bullshit.

And if you do pay a small premium for the mac, rest assured you are no longer running windows circa 1980. You are running BSD Unix.

But if you shop, you will not pay a premium for a mac laptop. No way no how.

I already got Mint running along with XP Home in Virtualbox. Thanks but you can keep your overpriced Apple branded commodity hardware.

3) You play games and nothing else and you don't want to be bothered to boot up windows using "boot camp".
4) You're just plain stupid, and believe the bullshit from the 1990's still applies today, which it clearly does not.

Here's another one to add to your list: you prefer to spend less money on a machine that is equally as capable.

The cheapest machine that Apple offer here in the UK is £510 ($760). These are the specifications:

2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB memory
160GB hard drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Or, for £270 ($405), I can get this machine:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core Processor E5400 (2.70GHz, 800FSB, 2MB cache)

2048MB DDR3 1066MHz

320GB Hard Drive

DVD +/- RW Drive

Intel X4500 Graphics

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

One has better hardware specifications, but both are ultimately as capable as each other for the purposes they are intended for (word processing, basic graphics design, internet browsing, multimedia playback, etc.). The only major differences is that one is nearly twice the price of the other, and has OS X on it. In almost all situations the Windows PC here will be better suited for the consumer.

iSmokeTrees

This is why a majority of the world hates macs and mac users. PC users never tried to harass people to switch machines. Then apple makes all these stupid fucking commercials with that kid from my name is earl or whatever, incessantly bashing PCs for years. Just makes you look like a condescending, elitist asshole. Macs are "hip and cool" and PCs are "old and busted." They even use an overweight/pudgey actor for PCs and a slim guy for macs. The commercials were a shot at the nerdiness of Bill Gates compared to Steve Jobs if you ask me.

I live in a college town and the only students who have macs are rich spoiled kids who get them to circle jerk each other for status quo. They wear big sunglasses and drive ridiculously expensive cars their daddy bought them. They also walk around with their ipod or iphone visible at all times so they look cool, because apple is soooo cool. There are a lot of rich kids which only perpetuates the purchase for status quo.

When your primary selling points are that it is the thinnest, shiny, made from recycled goods, and costs twice as much then you know people buy it as a status symbol and not for practicality.

but "the chains of windows." who the fuck talks like that? does your mac play wilson phillips better than a pc?

BREAAAAAAAAK FREEEEEE FROM THE CHAAAAIIIINNNSSSSS!

spadedNfaded

Veteran
ahahahahah, MACs....

I NEVER want to own a piece of hardware that i can only use the way the manufacturer says i can.

People who claim MACs are the end-all, be-all of computation are at a serious loss of brain function.

- SubN

RetroGrow

Veteran
Macs are for posers.
They are a ripoff, and there is no way you can build a mac that compares to a PC pricewise for equivalent performance.
If you have money to burn, and have no technical ability, buy a Mac. If you know your shit, and want to build a machine that is cost effective, there is only one choice.
The idea of a proprietary PC cracks me up.
:ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts